Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Do YOU hit yourself alot while practicing??

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me smile *Gives fire staff* have fun!

Anyway, to get to the point, while practicing I usually hit myself in the head, leg and belly lots! Lol, it's something I have to work on.

When you are practicing.. do you hit yourself a lot? and if so, and you found a cure for that, this could be a good place to share that information to save up on bandages.

Post away !! biggrin

-- Support Creativity, Don't Steal It --

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Written by: Mr Majestik

i never hit myself, i hit the silly blighters that spin poi tongue

*run back to the staff section* wink

Good answer biggrin

any time wink

i swear i've read before that its always staffers who make threads go off topic ubbloco

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
right now i tend to get hit alot, usually either in the nads (only took 1 time b4 i started using a cup though) or in the head - most painful time was when the quicklink decided to work itself loose and the head flew off and the end of the chain hit me in the head. not sure why i didn't check all the hardware that time. i make double sure now though.

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
my funniest moment was a neck wrap gone wrong.........
my poor nose got burnt on the end. years later people still tease me lol

most painful was practising with 4 poi, i cracked my self in the outside corner of the right eye, right on the bone.
there was no escaping the pain lol
i just dropped the poi and went inside.
it was shocking, words cant describe..............

we used to think that if your not hitting yourself your not pushing to extend youreself, but now weve learned how to dodge!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: xomspinner

Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me smile *Gives fire staff* have fun!

Anyway, to get to the point, while practicing I usually hit myself in the head, leg and belly lots! Lol, it's something I have to work on.

When you are practicing.. do you hit yourself a lot? and if so, and you found a cure for that, this could be a good place to share that information to save up on bandages.

Post away !! biggrin

All the time. That's what practice is for wink

I generally check my hand positions as I find those are the cause 9 out of 10 times for me hitting myself. We hand positions seem to angle the poi straight at my body.

The other reason is that I am not reaching far enough. If i am wrapping around my entire body and my butt or hand or shin get hit, then I am not far enough around.

Usually the issue, for me, lies within the body rather than the spin.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I found my beamers after having not spun them in ages. I thoguth if I was carefull I wouldn't hit myself...

I got a reminder to the back of the head within a few minutes....they're back int he cupboard now... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Youll always hit yourself, its just that as time goes by you get better at dodging smile

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Triptoemember
71 posts

Posted:
when I started, my body got full of bruises, and they hurted!! And always my poi (I startet with chains -stupid me.. ubblol) hitted the same bruises- on and on and on. That really hurted. My gymtecher even asked me, if I get beaten up. It was really funny in a way biggrin

-I love goats and cheesecake-

Charlie_AnneSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
Oh yes - thighs, ankles, ribs, head, face etc etc - but i've only been learning a week - it's going to happen!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i hit myself so often bf thought i was cheating on him

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Phantom_Daynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
erm yes.doing the weave they seem to be attracted to my shoulders for some reason. weavesmiley

This is my beautiful life.the only thing certain is that everything changes

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
uhm not usually, but if its something new and is gunna take a while I can guaruntee its gunna be hits in boobs, legs and head...o.0

K_DashBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
Yea i use to (even kept count ) like when i first started 7 years ago but now not really

Hit Chart
Face - 94
Legs - 145
Nads - 63
Back - 74

[color:red] Knee Assault !!!!!!!!!!!!! [/color]

eatyourbiscuitBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
i started spinning four days ago and now unless i try something i cant do then injuries do seem to be getting less...i nailed my self in the groin too many times the other day so made some sock poi filled with more soft socks...much safer to learn with than the neon glowing balls of ouch i got firstly...they can leave a fairly decent black eye when too close to my face

Andy

"...be all that you can be, just as long as you are free..."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
if you aren't hitting yourself, you aren't doing it right
bouncebouncebouncebouncebounce

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Sun_Puppymember
31 posts

Posted:
I normally manage to hit myself in the shins or the head, depending on whether it is a weave or butterfly-based move.

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
when i first started my poi used to love playing with my nose. i was using cobra 2's and the tennis ball inside hurt alot when it hit u in the nose so a mate told me to slice the tennis ball in the middle about 4/5ths of the way around so its just hanging on. then it stopped hurting so much. now i use sock poi with juggling balls in them and they hurt if they hit but i dnt really hit my self much anymore like some people have said u tend to earn to control the poi better and even if you mess up you learn to pull them or your self out the way. but i find with my fire poi theres no dogging those evil little balls of fire they just don't like me any ways!

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
crap. just smashed my eye and temple. i was doing a reverse weave at 3 o'clock in the morning... Tired as a sloth.. well, my arms just gave up and the poi directed to my eye and caused me to move left after the collision. That regretfuly knocked my temple, leaving me and my sister laughing histarically.

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I did a bad thing last night, got mildly tipsy, and figured out I poi-ed better under-the-influence than not. For the longest time, I had been struggling to get my Mexican Wave to clean up..... and it just clicked. There were a few bad crashes, but I didn't feel them, so I didn't care. We weren't burning, and the fuel was locked up. But gosh darn if those LED sticks don't leave marks!

I haven't poied yet this morning, but I'm scared to attempt it, because the problem with waking up after poi-ing while drunk is you see the bruises you couldn't feel last night.

....I don't recommend it.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
I almost never hit myself anymore. After 2 years as a fire preformer I can pretty much do anything that I normally do in my routine in my sleep. When I'm trying to pick up or create something new I hit myself though. Over the whole time I've been working with fire I've burned myself once and came close one other time.

envienewbie
8 posts

Posted:
lol yep all the time, esp when doing weaves too fast! the poi seem to really like damaging my knees and head recently...

on va danser?

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
I reguarly hit all the places shown by you, but also the place no man should ever be hit!!! redface

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: poig

I reguarly hit all the places shown by you, but also the place no man should ever be hit!!! redface

really hurts doesnt it. I actually fell over once and curled into a ball on the floor for a few minutes. not fun at all! frown

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I am finding the better I get the more I hit myself, and harder. It's something to do with more complex/adventurous moves and spinning faster.
Classic one today:
Merrily spinning in some random fashion and I think "ooh, can I raise these higher, oh yeah, lets see if they can flip behind my head..." WHACK, "oh dear, that used to be my nose".
Once it stopped smarting and bleeding it was all ok though. wink

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
*breathing deeply* too often

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

skwairBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
ive just put my poi down because i smacked myself in the balls. my girlfriends still laughing ooooops

Younglegendnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
 Written by: geeza

Written by: poig

really hurts doesnt it. I actually fell over once and curled into a ball on the floor for a few minutes. not fun at all! frown

Used to happen to me all the time and exactly like that. Once i hit myself in the eye extremely hard.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
spin with a mace ball! that would make everyone more carefull of the soft dangly region!

Non-Https Image Link

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
I mostly hit myself in the boobies which hurts, gonna have to get a metal bra or somethin.
I hit myself lots coz i'm pretty new at poi, and find that when i'm trying to crack a trick if i use my brain i can't do it, but if i stop thinking and trying to work it out, and just try to feel it, it gets easier. Does this relate to the concept of planes everyone talks about? is that where you get your brain to 'see' the planes? or am i just talking nonsense?

I like Neon's idea, and yes it is a bit like active meditation...
Tinks xx

Written by: Neon_Shaolin

I do alot more now because this last year I've started inadvertently poi-ing whilst closing my eyes...

It wasn't a conscious choice but I grown to like doing it with my eyes closed. I think I'm doing pretty well as it helps to improve body memory than depending on my eyes to pull off a move...

Plus now it feels more like meditating...

May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face, and the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tinks

I mostly hit myself in the boobies which hurts, gonna have to get a metal bra or somethin.
I hit myself lots coz i'm pretty new at poi, and find that when i'm trying to crack a trick if i use my brain i can't do it, but if i stop thinking and trying to work it out, and just try to feel it, it gets easier. Does this relate to the concept of planes everyone talks about? is that where you get your brain to 'see' the planes? or am i just talking nonsense?

I like Neon's idea, and yes it is a bit like active meditation...
Tinks xx

my mum hit herself in her boob when she tried so put em down sharpish. I dont know too much about planes because ive only been doing poi for 5 weeks

kitilixBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
I've got into a habbit of clockin myself on the back of the head, especially when doin a backwards weave!?? Dunno where thats cum from!! ooooops

bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

By the powers of greyskull!!!!!

Page: ...