Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Do YOU hit yourself alot while practicing??

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me smile *Gives fire staff* have fun!

Anyway, to get to the point, while practicing I usually hit myself in the head, leg and belly lots! Lol, it's something I have to work on.

When you are practicing.. do you hit yourself a lot? and if so, and you found a cure for that, this could be a good place to share that information to save up on bandages.

Post away !! biggrin

-- Support Creativity, Don't Steal It --

djtoxinsnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
My fire set when Im practicing with Butterflies and other moves when my chains cross each other usualy seem to go for my crotch... which sucks....
or my left leg...

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
Yes, and mostly with the butterfly. That moves scares me more then did when I first bungee jumped. I bend my legs to do it, I refuse to do it standing up. As a male, the poi heads hit each other sometimes doing the butterfly, and when they hit they fly in together towards my body, and to my luck, towards the weakest part of my body, my crotch, to be more specific, well you get it. Anyways it hurts like hell, and just makes me so afraid to do the butterfly in fear it will happen again, so I always bend my legs and stick my butt out. I've been trying, but I don't know how to stop the poi from occasionally hitting each other with the butterfly.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well, after this weekend, I cannot wear a skirt to work for this week-well, the knee length one

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
I remember beating myself practically to a bloody pulp when I first started. The boys I must say fared a lot worse though. Both the gents I started with would rack themselves about twice a night.

These days I still smack myself once in a while but not nearly as badly. I'll get myself in the head once in a while or if I'm not paying attention when I'm practicing spinning while doing arabesque en pointe or panche. What happens is ballet techniqu forgets to make room for poi technique and I'll have a ball of kevlar, sometimes in flaming form smack me in the leg full force. Tasty.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

scoshBRONZE Member
non stop uber rocking electro rock party
122 posts

Posted:
i hit myself in the head about 5 times earlier and then decided i needed to sit down but it was fun totally worth it practice makes perfect and all that

"im quite depressed, im quite a mess, so beat me up, beat me down, mess me up beyond all recognition"

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I like your screenname

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

arachnesweaveBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
I'm working on the reverse 3BTW and I hit my head - continuously. It's quite amusing to watch. It's almost as if I believe I'll pound the move into my head. Thank the Gods for fluffy ball poi!! Minimal damage to the head. redface

My husband gets himself in the jewels often. eek

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Kevlar balls to the eye on the reverse 3 beat isn't a good thing.

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
back of the head with kevlar hurts alot but not as much as trying to do a btb butterfly and double whacking yourself in the ears =(

blitsnimfGOLD Member
Loving Life
6 posts

Posted:
I have this strange theory about the places you can hit yourself. In my experience men hit themselves way more often in the groin than women (i am female, hit myself a lot but never ever in that area). I believe men get hit in the groin more often because (subconsciously) they do NOT want to get hit there for the well known reasons. It is like the writing under a red button saying: "do not push red button" Of course you push it...
What do you think?

go go, Gadget Poi!

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
The worst is when its late at night and your in your boxers practicing your butterflys. I have hit myself then hit the floor so many times. I lot of people say it hurts to do wraps off your leg or arm but I have never had any issue. I have done wraps with glow stick, fire, random objects and I cant figure out of people say they hurt.

Kaffrynsnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
my friend who introduced me to poi used to call it a "double whammy to the fanjoolah"

I tend to whack myself on hte head or in the face which isn't great when I have specs on :-S

pilchstranger
18 posts

Posted:
yer all the time it reminds me there there (if u get me) if u dont want to tho move quicker

dont u just love it when ur toys hit ya

lucidreamaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Masked52

Yes, and mostly with the butterfly. That moves scares me more then did when I first bungee jumped. I bend my legs to do it, I refuse to do it standing up. As a male, the poi heads hit each other sometimes doing the butterfly, and when they hit they fly in together towards my body, and to my luck, towards the weakest part of my body, my crotch, to be more specific, well you get it. Anyways it hurts like hell, and just makes me so afraid to do the butterfly in fear it will happen again, so I always bend my legs and stick my butt out. I've been trying, but I don't know how to stop the poi from occasionally hitting each other with the butterfly.

lol! This made me chuckle Masked52! Especially when you mentioned that you bend ya legs and stick ya butt out! I hit meself in the rocks with both poi at once the other day too, and I can vouch for the pain! eek

I was having the same problem with the butterfly today when I was starting to learn the Alternate Butterfly.. the poi kept hitting each other even though I had no problem before.. I figured out how to stop that though... I found that if I rotate my hands to follow the downbeat of the poi more, so I'm putting more effort to swing them from my wrists, they don't seem to hit each other any more.. I dunno if this will work for you but seems to work for me smile

I've found that I hit myself loads, pretty much constantly, when I'm first learning a new move, but then it starts to iron itself out once I get used to how the poi are moving in the space around my body. Yeah, like others I repeatedly hit myself on the head with the 3 beat weave when I was startin off... no problems with it now though biggrin

live unlimited... love regardless!

NeeBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
I've only just started (I know like, 3 moves lol) and I haven't fared too badly yet. I smacked myself on the boob today which hurt like a mofo, and i've smacked myself in the back of the head and right in the face a few times too. Often though, I notice myself leaning backwards with my arms way out in front of me trying to avoid getting hit :P

Page: ...