Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Do YOU hit yourself alot while practicing??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me smile *Gives fire staff* have fun!

Anyway, to get to the point, while practicing I usually hit myself in the head, leg and belly lots! Lol, it's something I have to work on.

When you are practicing.. do you hit yourself a lot? and if so, and you found a cure for that, this could be a good place to share that information to save up on bandages.

Post away !! biggrin

-- Support Creativity, Don't Steal It --

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
hmm well i only got poi yesterday so i'll get back to you on that lol but i HAVE been hit in the back with a leather poi >.< that hurt, some random guy ran up and hit me in the back with it as hard as he could because he'd "got everyone else in that group" rolleyes

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
ok, thanx anyway geezer.

kitilix- all i can say is ouch!

x non x - hope ya got the soft stuff to begin with.

Anyone else out there willing/able to explain the planes thang?

Tinks xx

May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face, and the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tinks

x non x - hope ya got the soft stuff to begin with.

Tinks xx

erm well it said beginner poi on it, they're like beanbags inside it...

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
yea, cool, that shouldn't hurt too much
happy spinnin
x

May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face, and the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
PS x non x
give mcr a big hug for me, i miss that place!

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
i still manage to hurt my boyfriend with them ^_^ *shifty eyes*

and i shall try to hug mcr for you... not sure how easy that will be though hehe

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
well if ya can't reach the whole city just hug fab cafe, jilly's rockworld and kro2 for me - i used to work there
your fella better learn to move fast lol

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
i can hug jilly's and kro2 for ya not sure where the other place is lol. and HA he could never learn to move fast, he's too lazy ^_^

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
yes i kno some lazee boys too...
fab cafe is on portland street, great kitsch retro 70's style bar with a real dalek in it....
at least i hope its still there

how you gettin on with the poi, i'm a novice too, nailed the butterfly but still gettin tangled on weave.
all good though

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
not really been able to practice, it's too wet to go outside and my rooms too small to practice in =(
hope to get to practice tomorrow though when i'm in town... if the people of urbis don't steal my poi that is hehe

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
yea watch out for those urbis-ites, killjoys.
thats the problem with manchester, too wet, thats why i left

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
just shorten poi and then do it in doors smile I want to go in my lunch break to the park in leeds today (not hyde park, the one surrounded by solicitors) but its abit cold

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
come on, its us southerners who are supposed to be soft, just put a jumper on or sommatt, get out there and spin and be happeee
good tip for indoors tho thanx
yea i don't much care for solicitors eitha...

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
id look like a right nut case spinning lumo green socks in the middle of a park by myself in the cold wearing a big coat (only got tshirt on)
How much are those big mirrors? i might get one for my new house im moving into in a couple of weeks

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
lol it would bring a smile to the faces of all around
Mirrors? what Mirrors?
they cost 7 yrs bad luck if ya break em

Raven_EternalGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
I only started spinning yesterday and had my first long practice today, and already hit myself numerous times. Especially my left ear seems to be a nice spot to wack a poi against... frown
Too bad I have two piercings there what makes it kind of painful...

Thank god I do have the fluffy poi from here, so it's not too bad. I can recommend those to all! smile

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:

yea watch out for those urbis-ites, killjoys.
thats the problem with manchester, too wet, thats why i left

urbis is full of emos now ¬.¬

hmm looks like the weather shall be ok tomorrow, yay i can finally do something with my poi, rather than making it make me play "find the silver disks from your lightshade" ^_^

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
yea piercings and poi don't mix well raven, i found that out too
xnonx, the silver discs game sounds fun, can i play?
just take the emos out with your razor poi...

happy spinnin folks,

Tinksx

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:

Tinksx

lol. didnt you see my mace ball poi?

I want a big mirror to put against the wall for practicing. I have a feeling there not gonna just be a tenner or something though frown

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:

the silver discs game sounds fun, can i play?

Tinksx

hmm if you don't mind breaking a silver disk lightshade then sure you can play ^_^ hehe, my mum doesnt look at my roof so hasnt noticed that i broke it =)

and theres too many emos to do that lol

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
dude (geezer) yes i did see ur mace poi, it rocks!
yea big mirrors are a bit more than a tenner, why don't you go for the cheap option and cover your wall in tin foil?

xnonx yea but if we all turn up with razor and mace poi mwahahahaha bye bye emos
first i will have to buy a silver disc lite shade, can't be assed, i'll just play with the light shade in my mind.....

cedradaBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
First long practice with poi today....
Shoulders hurt from bad spinning posture.
Shins and knees hurt from impact damage.
Head and ears hurt from collisions.
Black eye.

It's frustrating... but fun at the same time. I came back on here to find i was doing all the moves wrong.
*goes out to nail 3 beat weave again*

If at first you don't succeed throw a temper tantrum.

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
tinks - hmm yeah playing with it in your mind sounds less dangerous ^_^ hehe

cedrada - looks like someone came out worse than me then lol. i did my first long practice yesterday, a few knocks on the head and such, but no black eyes for me lol.

finally figured out how to do the butterfly over my head, it took me all day but yeah finally got it =D

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:

yea big mirrors are a bit more than a tenner, why don't you go for the cheap option and cover your wall in tin foil?

because when its sunny i would cook myself! on a plus side though i could egg my wall in the morning to make breakfast smile im not sure my landlord would approve of rashes of bacon on the wall though!

TinksSILVER Member
foxyninjatwinkletoes
177 posts

Posted:
keep goin cedrada!!!
x non x hi five dude, respect...
geezer good point, bring on the olive oil lol
eggin your wall? i like your style... just don't get started on the baked beans

Sun_Puppymember
31 posts

Posted:
ubbloco

I scored a particularly nasty double-sided head shot yesterday while trying out the overhead ttn. Even with soft-ish poi, my head was spinning for a bit!

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
I've decided.... i really wanna live where my boyfriend lives, he has a huge grassy area right outside his house that's perfect for practicing on and then theres my house.... a tiny bit of concrete then a busy road, i can only practice when i'm at his.... which is most of the time anyway ^_^

CatVanVlietnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
i hit myself a lot but im a newb. I'm getting better with most tricks. i finally learned the btb weave and it hurts sooo bad. haha.

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
At first it happened all the time, then I got better. Then I started trying to learn harder and more complex moves and it happened a lot, then i got better again. Haven't really had a problem with hitting my self unless I'm trying something new(or stupid).Then I bought some beaming poi. 1 black eye, 1 lost tooth and 8 minutes unconcious. Some times it's not how many times you hit yourself...it's how hard and with what...ALWAYS respect the beaming poi!

tranzlucentmember
8 posts

Posted:
I seem to hit myself on my head, back , arms, and chest(ouch!). I must have wacked myself about 100 times yesterday. I think I should have gone with the soft fuzzy poi instead of the tennis ball poi, but I shall def stay away from the beaming poiubblol. I already look as if I have an abusive husband, don't need to through missing teeth into the mix ubblol

Page: