Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Do YOU hit yourself alot while practicing??

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me smile *Gives fire staff* have fun!

Anyway, to get to the point, while practicing I usually hit myself in the head, leg and belly lots! Lol, it's something I have to work on.

When you are practicing.. do you hit yourself a lot? and if so, and you found a cure for that, this could be a good place to share that information to save up on bandages.

Post away !! biggrin

-- Support Creativity, Don't Steal It --

pixiejesterGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I do. I was trying the btb weave, and I smacked the back of my legs, which left bruises, I smacked my left ear, at the top, where my stud is, that made it bleed. I smack myself all over the place, hurts.

It could be worse - we could all have normal jobs.

If nobodies perfect, then I'm nobody.

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
if i hit myself than i know i'm having a good practice

Love, Love, Love...

soliphantBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
I hit myself frequently, but as I am just learning then I suppose it's to be expected.

With each new move I seem to find a brand new place to hit myself.

Knocked my galsses clean off more times than I'd care to admit redface

I may not spin well but I spin with enthusiasm!

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Spining something weighty on a lenth of chain around your head!!!
Its enevitable that you will hit your self ocasionaly usualy thats OK but twice now i have hit myself in the head hard enouth to draw blood and both times iv been on a beach with no way of stoping the bleading.

Live life in a spin but if you fall dont come crying to me!!!!

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i decided that those pants to make you thinner might help. i've being trying some btb stuff, but my bum keeps getting hit... if only it were smaller...... frown

Seabadgermember
25 posts

Posted:
I'm relativly new to poi too, so still hit myself loads. My head was getting so badly hit when I tryed teaching myself some btb stuff that I had to wear a cycle helmet!! ubbloco

Still haven't really managed it. frown

SithInHeelsBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Well as a n00b I feel this is one thread I can easily jump in on.

I hit myself. A lot. Most of my head hits haven't been too bad but there's one where I keep nailing myself on the cheekbone and it smarts like hell. Someday that's gonna connect hard and give me a shiner. *grin*

fairyfireeater1member
55 posts

Posted:
hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well um....
my worst was the night i couldnt be bothered putting up my hair properly so threw it up in a loose ponytale
(now realise my hair was down to my butt) anyway as i swung my poi behind my back it caught the bottom of my ponytale and..... well......... now i have short hair.
lol

Tehehe.....Fairy 'old me....

Real_ZekeBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
In the start i hit myself alot, but now its quite rare. After only 2 weeks of noraml poi's i wanted to try fire. Of course i hit myself and got a few burn here and there. Now i never hit myself, only when trying to advance by learning new stuff.

I know im suppose to write something here... So this is it.

Wrapped_in_KnotsSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
Happily not as much as I used to

YaY Me!

raverandyBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
i hit my self almost every time i spin only once or twice though untill i get going, there very attracted to my head & other gentle parts!

*true story* some on filmed me swinging on there mobile then i fell over..

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
no, not a lot, although i did when i learnt 3bt fwd weave, that was a bitch, but now i'm fine.... until i try to learn something else

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to get the overhead butterfly right... and sometimes put my arms over my head too far.... and smack myself in the back... they've also got tangled quite a bit which has led me to smacking myself in the face :P

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
crosses have been proving quite difficult to me, i can do them and most variations now. Though i have smacked myself around the head and back quite a lot doing so (and nuts, which hurts an aweful lot with 120gram juggling balls!)

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'm practising with my meteor at the moment, and hitting myself far more often than with poi - I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not as advanced. Yet.

Kupo!

fireflyfaeriejourneyman
73 posts

Posted:
yh i always hit my self in practice!

back of the heads the worsed for me!

although if im showing ppl poi its normally alrite.
EDITED_BY: fireflyfaerie (1184501253)

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
I once, when learning btb weave, kept hitting myself in the same place again and again. In my fury i threw the poi away from me, shouting my rage. It didn't occur to me until midway through my hissy fit that the poi were attatched to my hands, thus causing one of them to swing back round and smack me in the teeth.

Not my proudest moment smile

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
You will allmost allways hit yourself at least once with new moves. I still do when I try to transition sometimes. Though when I spin I am allmost ALLWAYS transitioning. So I get too wrapped up sometimes. As you get better they will slow and you will know when they are about to happen so you can dodge. Wear tighter cloths (your not alone ive had a blood spot in my eye from glowsticks once and used to get 7 6 in, welts every day)

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Bizarrely, my wrists always take a battering. Another reason why I always wear leather cuffs... wink

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

Hamkaasjenewbie
13 posts

Posted:
I just started so yea, i hit myself quite often
almost knocked myself down when i tried the weave for the first time ubblol

x_non_xmember
61 posts

Posted:
I smacked myself in the temple the other day >_<

that hurt for 2 days.... it took me a whole day to figure out WHY it was actually hurting there though XD

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I love the random bruises and black eyes, you get to tell the best stories about how you got them...There was these three really huge guys and they came out of no where....

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
I can do all the moves on HoP an am currently studying the encyclopoidia like a man possesed, I hit myself all the time, mostly in the pods. Its actuallly worse when you only just catch them

I figure its a whole negative reinforcement thing, learn that doing it wrong hurts and you learn faster.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
 Written by: thombre

I once, when learning btb weave, kept hitting myself in the same place again and again. In my fury i threw the poi away from me, shouting my rage. It didn't occur to me until midway through my hissy fit that the poi were attatched to my hands, thus causing one of them to swing back round and smack me in the teeth.

Not my proudest moment smile

Hahahahahaha.....nearly fell off my chair....

New to poi.....some bruising but at least they're not alight!!!

Nia

Red Raven Wellbeing Centre
9 Clive Street, Caerphilly. CF83 1GE
07757 057 157

DarkfujSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
I started spinning 1 week ago today, and i'm not TOO bad umm,
but yeah, within the 1st hour of practice i hit myself in the crotch....
twiceumm

trixxi_da_pixxinewbie
13 posts

Posted:
iv only been doin poi about a yr but i did stop for a while cos i broke my wrist.....but i hit myself every other time but then sometimes i pick them up close my eyes and dont hit mysef once...i think really hittin urself is the only way to learn..... otherwise theres no incentive to get out the way....lol weavesmiley

peace

the pixxi.....

cookies and cuddles...

ArtemisiaBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
i got my poi only last friday, and been quite obsessed... practiced a few hours daily, and hitting myself a lot, mostly my legs. ... but hey, making progress: today they 've mostly hit each other ;-)

Artemisia

do you want to move or be moved?

princesspoinewbie
9 posts

Posted:
do i hit myself while practising? oh yeah.

Are you alive?

How does it feel to be alive?

poi_kittySILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
got my first poi yesterday, so far both my knees have lovely black bruises on them, and i have a bruise on the palm of my right hand (dont ask me how, i have no idea!) but it hurts!!! theres a pic of my poor hand in my gallery!

My boyfriend spent the afternoon in the garden watching me and laughing when i hit myself. very funny. rolleyes
EDITED_BY: poi_kitty (1186649339)

JoKittynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
I'm not too bad ,but yeah I do hit myself.

I hit myself in the face for the first time yesterday evening when I was attemptinhg hip reels....now it really hurts! lol.

Page: ...