Page:
icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
Ok...bit of an odd one...
i'm very into my body modification/ritual, and as part of a ritual/performance, I would like to have needles with wicks on inserted in my body...they would need to be very long and would be positioned all down the sides of my body...legs, waist and breasts, potentially arms if that doesnt get in the way.
I want to bend down and light a series of flames all up my body. I'm also considering doing flaming 'wings' in a similar way.

I don't know if this has been done before/is safe/how to make said needles, etc and all advice would be greatly appreciated (even if its 'for the love of god woman, why, why?'! confused)

thanks guys! smile

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
..........ok. good luck with that wink dont burn yourself!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
hey, im also into body mod/ritual quite a bit (more mods than rituals, but i hope to suspend this summer).

I take it you plan on doing this with kind of play piercings...in which case, its going to be very hard to get your skin to support a long needle especially with the weight of a wick on it.

What you may want to consider is doing a "ball dance" style ritual with wicks attatched there.

The FadeSILVER Member
fading happily....
212 posts

Posted:
are you planning on attaching this to proper safe sterile needles? i hope so lol. making needles yourself is a quick road to infection lol...

um in whatever you attach them to youll want to put a kink in the metal below the wick to stop fuel running down into your fresh piercings. that would just be YUCK!

im just wondering about the weight of a fuel soaked wick pulling down on one end of a fresh piercing... are you used to that kinda stuff?

good luck and let us know how it goes!!

We walk light
Down the wires
Higher than weather baloons
Empty hearts on fire...

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
ikles! heeelo hug regarding that body mods will use metal pins, i'm thinking it wont be...that comfortable
since conduction of heat and so on and so fourth....me thinks it would be better if u had a body hugging harness with the extended wicks etx attached into the harness itself that way it'l be much more safer and u could probably have more wicks fixed into different positions....along with the wings id be happy to do some sketches if u want since im so bored

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
cheers Sixth, sketches would be ace,
and TheFade...yup, sterile, safe needles, I'm a clean fiend...i'm thinking atteaching a wick to spinal needles somehow...whats worrying me is the potential for paraffin in open wounds...

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
oh, and yes, the weight isn't an issue-I've suspended twice and done pulls, I'm good with skin stretchy, as long as they don't pull right out!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
for some reason i recall a form of accupuncture, with cotton balls on the the ends, set a fire. im not sure about the logistics, what the wicks were etc. but maybe have a look into that smile

also, can we expect fotos?

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hello icklepurklegirl,

I used to work for wildcat in the uk. www.wildcat.co.uk

We had a suspension rig at work and a few of the staff used to do them from time to time. Most hardcore was my mate who did 1 hook from his shoulder blade. The flesh hook was 10mm thick, looked just like the ones they hang cows up with.

It took 4 men 2 hours to pierce him with it, the skin is increadible stuff.

Anywho, wildcat would be able to custom make some hooks for you, they'd probably be 316L Surgical Steel.

You must have seen the vegitarian festival right? They hang all sorts of crazy things from them, but i've not seen fire. https://www.phuketvegetarian.com/

There's a wicked gallery of this festival on wildcat too, my boss used to go there a lot.

I imagine parafin in open wounds would be bad, maybe alcohol would be better, and cooler flame. Perhaps the hooks could hang down then point out at 90 degrees to keep the flame away from you ???

Dunno. I think your biggest problem is they will get really hot really quickly.

Anyhoo email the lovely wildcat and i'm sure someone will help you.

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
the issue with the weight isnt how you can deal with it, the issue is how it will effect the possition of the lit wicks. it may pull the wicks into a possition that will burn you....there is an answer....make the wicks attatchable, and counter ballence them...ie do horizontal piercings down your sides or arms or what have you, then place wicks on both ends of the needles, so the gravitational pull is horozontal to the piercing...this creates two issues though

1. Removing the piercings will be tricky, as the metal will heat up, so you will either need a way to cool them, or to wait a good long time before removing them (or cutting them out)

2. It will contaminate the needle, so removal will likely cause infection....and there will be some amount of fuel that gets on the needle, which will contaminate it even more....to a really really unhealthy level....

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
SickWithWonder- the contamintion and positioning issues is my main bother....i keep coming back to the potential accidental cauterisation possibility!

and theWibbler- i shall look into that, thanks sweet!

and PineapplePete- acupuncture sounds a more plausible option...i'll research. and hell yeah, there will totally be photos!

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
the acupuncture needles can be topped with cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol, and then lit. the resulting heat should sterilize the needle (and cauterize you) - probably not what you're looking for though. Might I recommend that not lean over the fire, and let the wicks point "up" !

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

ammreSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
https://www.bmeshop.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=927

that's a link to spinal needles at BMEzine's shop. I know people who have made feather wings, and people who have stuck birthday candles in the ends of the needles, but wicking will be intresting...

I to am a bod mod enthusiast, with 4 suspensions including a 1pt chest and some surgical mods/scar work.
I hope to see pictures smile

that which yeilds is not always weak.

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
yeah, i was totally thinking spinal needles....may just have to order some and have a play
Curiosity-Ammre what scar work have you got?I have wings across my boobies that i *love*

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
*sketches underway*

shall post again tomorow

ammre: your tongue... *yum*

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
o yeah, i forgot, what sort of burn time are you wanting?

cheers, pete hug

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
a few minutes is ok...just long enough to do a full turn to the audience and then walk off, not so long i'm burning myself!

ammreSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
 Written by: icklepurklegirl

yeah, i was totally thinking spinal needles....may just have to order some and have a play
Curiosity-Ammre what scar work have you got?I have wings across my boobies that i *love*

I've got a spiral flower design on my left arm and a line going down my chest (memorial scar).
In the future my right arm will be similar to the left, as if it's fromt he same flower bush or some such, and my back shoudl have a large scale tree, which is already drawn out and in the posession of my artist.

that which yeilds is not always weak.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, the only thing i could think of was to bend the needle down then back up (im not sure if they can be bent though)

|\/ <-- sorta like that, i guess
|
|

(youll have to excuse the bad drawing)

having a wick stuck on the right spike would stop the fuel dripping down the long part, probably.

this is just an idea, so youll have to test it all before.

cheers, pete hug

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
ooh...i don't think they're bendy, but that gives me an idea about attaching other wire bits and stuff *runs off to sketch ideas*
and ammre...sounds utterly beautiful :-)

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
keep me updated, i look forward to seeing how it goes smile

hug

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

for some reason i recall a form of accupuncture, with cotton balls on the the ends, set a fire. im not sure about the logistics, what the wicks were etc. but maybe have a look into that smile

also, can we expect fotos?

cheers, pete hug

Not actually cotton balls but balls of moxa-wool (Wormwood).
My issue with your idea is heat conduction, As an acupuncture student I know just how much heat is conducted with a small ammount of moxa and a needle the width of a bees willy
Now for spinal needles, which are approximately 3-4 (or more depending on the gauge) times the width of an acupuncture needle, and a small wick on the end the ammount of heat transfer is by my estimate going to be quite "uncomfortable" to say the least...
And possibly (ONLY possibly) could even cauterise the wound leaving nice little holes and marks in the skin which I know is not the idea of play piercing...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hehe, come to think of it moka, i completely forgot to ask you on sunday, and all the sundays before that rolleyes

hug

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
LOL good thing I spotted this thread...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
the heat transfer has been one of my main concerns...it might somewhat spoil the effect if i'm hopping up and down screaming 'owow itburnsitburns!!'

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
It sounds a tremendous act. biggrin

To all the lovely pierced people grouphug 'specially the performance artists who use piercing in their acts.

I'm going to do a closeup act where I put syringe needles (fres of course) through bits of skin on the back of my hand as a volunteer holds up the bit I'm piercing.

Real character piece I think.

With your heat conduction troubles you could always get a cork or something else that's really cr@p at conduction and use it as a connector between whatever holds your wicks and your needles. That might stop some of the fuel getting to your new holes too.

Written by: TheWibbler

I imagine parafin in open wounds would be bad, maybe alcohol would be better, and cooler flame.

Fraid alcohol burns hotter than kero, though it is cleaner. I've no idea what burnt alcohol's like for your body though.

Luck in large ammounts to you icklepurklegirl!

Edit: I just typed lick in large ammounts and almost didn't notice. redface
EDITED_BY: Seb (1153637332)

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

FiresFunnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
I not very knowlegable about this type of thing, but would it be posible to ge two different materials, so a non conductive material is in your skin.

And if sed material cand be sharpend then you could simply do the peircing with another needle and stick the item described above in.

Or even better? have needle non conductive material then metal holding fire, like so

needle, other, metal, fire

<-----llllllll-------()

sorry for crappy drawing.

On the support issue mabye a disk attached to the needle so it touches the skin.

like so:

<--|--llllll-------()

This should give support at most angles.

Hope this helps, though I doubt it does.

Lol sorry didn't notice second page with sam e suggetion... redface
EDITED_BY: FiresFun (1153672208)

Poi it's burny and it hurts...
But it's so much fun.
HELL YEAH!

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
how about a suspension with some of the rigging made out of kevlar rope, so the rig can burn above you, with heat going away from you and you can swing there......

not what you are looking for, but an idea none the less

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
Seb- cork might just be a solution, as long as its far enough away from the flame, excellent. And licks in large amounts are always good!lol...
firesfun- a non conductive material in my skins a plan, but I'm worried again about hygiene as non conductive materials can be more porous than metal and harder to sterilise
sickwithwonder- that'd be amazing but possibly implausible! *imagines ropes burning through or melting*

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
that's why you use kevlar.

and you could actually just weave kevlar through steel chain....it would be rather plausable.

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
kevlar can be a bit flaky though, and what about tis wieght bearing levels? we tend to use parachute cord...skinny but strong! for our suspensions

Page: