radiologic
radiologic

stranger

Total posts: 18
Posted:Hey, I've been playing with hoops since last july and poi since august and the two work really will together. I'm going to submit a hoop poi video for circles of light, but I'm not quite sure if it'll qualify since the info page said nothing of hoops. Anyways, I do spin a little bit of poi with hoops in this video as an example. This video's a couple of months old and I do a little more with isolations in the middle of spinning so on...

If anyone could tell me who I could bug about this, let me know.

Delete Topic

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:thats a sweet video biggrin ive not seen hoops spun like that before, totally wikked eek i wanna try, are they just normall hola hoops but smaller?

also wicked song, (international) noise conspiracy ubblove

also definetly that constitutes as circles of light in my eyes.. can you do it with fire? tongue

beerchug thanks for posting

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Eveish
Eveish

*Tickles pretty strangers*
Total posts: 610
Posted:oooh. from the opinion of someone who is looping, hooping mad, thats awesome! I've seen people do a little bit of the hoop isoloation stuff, but not a whole style around it. Two thumbs up!
What made you start working with hoops? And little ones? Was there a point of inspiration or did you just get carried away with playing with them?

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Delete

radiologic
radiologic

stranger

Posted:oli - thanks. t(i)nc rock and you're the only person that's acknowledged it thus far. they are a bit tiny for hula hoops - 26'' - and shitty hoops as far as that's concerned. they just look nice because they're covered in juggling tape from seriousjuggling.com. as for fire - I've wanted to try it with fire hoops for a while now, but the chance hasn't presented itself.

Eveish - glad you enjoy. I started playing with hoops shortly after I saw a video clip of jago from full moon performers doing some basic isolations - it was one of those 'I want to do that!' moments - that was the initial inspiration anyway. then I just got really carried away.

as far as the size goes... my girlfriend played with isolating a hoop for a while, but didn't really get into it so I just started out with a smaller hoop (26''). and honestly, they're way easier to move than large hoops.

Delete

GothFrogette
GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy
Total posts: 3999
Posted:eek WOW thats fantastic!!!! hug

*would normaly say more but coffee has not kicked in yet biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

TinklePants
TinklePants

Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
Total posts: 4217
Posted:one word...

Fantabulous! biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3099
Posted:WOW!

thats very very impressive. how much of it are you holding th hoop for an how much is just spinning round your arms?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Delete

Gnor
Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 5814
Posted:Hoopalicious. Makes me think of Durbs somehow.

It says in the COL intro that

"Circles of Light 2006

"Primary objective: To share our love for these arts" "

I say do it.. hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

alien_oddity
alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 7193
Posted:clap wicked video clap

Delete

radiologic
radiologic

stranger

Posted: Written by: yoni

thats very very impressive. how much of it are you holding th hoop for an how much is just spinning round your arms?

Whenever my hand is on the bottom portion of the hoop I'm letting it roll across the tips of my fingers. When it's on the top half it's rolling across the back of my hand.

EDITED_BY: radiologic (1148892456)

Delete

_khan_
_khan_

old hand
Total posts: 768
Posted:Hey Dustin! wave Nice to see you posting here. I got my little baby psi-hoops last week and have been having a blast playing around with those -- I'd love to see what you could do with them -- but if you get a clean isolation on 'em you don't get the trails. Makes for a nice contrast though. Incidentally, it was Jago's vid on the Full Moon Performers site that also got me into exploring hoops this way.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your next vid!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Delete

radiologic
radiologic

stranger

Posted:Awesome. You should definitely post a vid with those once you're ready. I'd really like to see how those look spinning.

In a couple of days my girlfriend is helping me shoot a submission for COL. I'll post it here once it's ready.

Question: are you planning on making your way out to IJA this year? It's in Portland from the 17th through the 23rd of July.

Delete

coleman
coleman

big and good and broken
Total posts: 7330
Posted:your hoop manipulation is looking great!

i especially like the isolations along a path.

thanks for sharing hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

strugz
strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3964
Posted:that was sweeeet smile

i see no reason what so ever why that shouldnt be in a cicles of light vid smile

clap

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

_khan_
_khan_

old hand
Total posts: 768
Posted: Written by: radiologic

Question: are you planning on making your way out to IJA this year? It's in Portland from the 17th through the 23rd of July.

I hadn't planned on it -- I have a meeting at work on the 19th I can't miss, but Portland is so close I maybe could just go up for the weekend....and I have friends in Portland I could stay with...hmmmm....plans are formulating...

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Delete

radiologic
radiologic

stranger

Posted:cool. if you think you can manage to make it, you should send me a message on tribe. IJA should be good fun.

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2895
Posted:awesome! I can't see any reason why that wouldn't make it in... Thanks!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

bender
still can't believe it's not butter
Total posts: 6979
Posted:wooooo! much respect for the direction u have taken this art!!
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete