Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Any ideas where to go next? new spinner...

Login/Join to Participate

BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Okay, After having watched people fire spinning and thinking wow i want to be able to do that, 2 weeks ago i went out and bought myself some poi. Hurrah

I'm not normally one for sticking at things but after twirling around not doing much speical for a while i found that all though i wasnt doing anything impressive at all I was completely enjoying myself ....

so I practiced loads
and can pretty much do all my book was teaching me...
-->3 beat weave
-->Butterly, alternate butterfly, angel wings both in same and split time and backwards.
-->sholder reals and turns, split time and normal time, windmill
-->hip reals split and normal
-->thread the needle, although somewhat slopily

Giants of most of these with lock outs

now im stumped....
still can't pull off a reverse 3 beat weave but Im bored of practiceing it without anything new and im sure it will come in practice...
can anyone suggest anywhere to go from here?

any moves that are somewhat not too complicated ( i dont feel like I could 5 beat weave or anything silly yet) but look good or are just fun to do? links? something...Ive been looking around the site and like can find loads of moves and stuff...but i have no idea about how any of them or how easy they generally are to pull off and stuff.....

*thinks*

thanks in advance

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
try linking your moves together, and practising your transitions between them, also stalls.

if you wanta good dvde of how to progress look for The Scales Of Poi on the HoPShOp

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
wraps are fun

Corkscrews

Isolations-you can use this for the moves you already know

Flowers-especially with lockouts

Stalls

Pendulum

Releases

Butterfly weaves-since you know ttn

Crossers and straightjackets

Buzzsaw

Under leg/between leg/under arm

Do you know chasing the sun?

Hyperloops

Or just go down the list for tutorials

weavesmileybounceweavesmiley

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

48 posts

Posted:
Okay so i think i got corkscrew all though i have no idea how to get into it....*goes searching forum* and yep I can already do chaseing the sun

I don't supose anyone has any usefull links for any of those.....I've been searching around the forum..but all the threads i can find are confuseing me very much...found a site with animations of pretty much most of them but no verbal explanations into how to do any of them...so again equally as confusing...

urgh im lame sorry

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
watch videos, see how other people move and get into things, the great thing about poi is everyone style is different but the fundamentals are the same

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I don't supose anyone has any usefull links"

smile

Poi moves forum, top post.
has lots of useful links.
As does the hyperloops and tangles thread.

48 posts

Posted:
thanks

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
You're not lame, you're a newbie. There is a slight difference. not much though wink ubblol

PS I'm still considered a newbie by some!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
I have spinning for about a year (fire just a couple times recently) and am definitely a newbie, big time. With that said, my advice is turns. Turns, turns and more turns. Getting comfortable with turning will open up a lot of freedom with your spinning.

And have fun!
weavesmiley

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Learn,

Butterfly,
The Eight,
Turn

and

Split Butterfly,

moves.

lighting,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Broken_leaves

still can't pull off a reverse 3 beat weave but Im bored of practiceing it without anything new and im sure it will come in practice...
can anyone suggest anywhere to go from here?

D00d, somone elce said to link some moves together, i think a good one for you will be the 360 weave, go from forwards to backwards and round again. this is a good move to learn as a "newb" as it gets you used to turning yourself and direction. biggrin

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Well done on learning the 3 beat weave.

But what about all the different variations of 2 beat weave?

Wheel plane is the normal one,

Wall plane is another

Or horizontal plane,

Left or right hand on top,

with arms crossed once,

arms crossed twice,

behind the back,

over the head,

under the legs,

then learn all that with 1 poi spinning the other way, ie lots of butterflies

Once you can do any of those in both directions then you can turn from one to the other.

Then you can transition between any of them and start dancing.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
I would suggest simply watching lots and lots of videos, and expose yourself to all the different styles of poi. You can decide which one you think suits you best and learn all the little things you see in the videos you like.
And yes, of course turns are an important ability to have as well, and adding more body movement into the mix couldn't hurt either.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
learn how to spin in every direction you can imagine and spin in every direction that you could posibly imagine. in order to spin yourself in circles, you have to be able to do the reverse weave. so work on that., peace.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
handy hint: dont think about what you're doing.
let the poi do their own thing, so you can watch them and marvel at how cool what they are doing is.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
I'm 6 months in now and like you I started with the basic move patterns, just that I cracked the backward 3 bt weave less than a week after forward, as it's vital for turns and fountain.

But as fluiditiy and variety are much more imortant ingredients to a nice play than trickery IMHO, I am working mostly on transitions and turns now and I want to finesse flow and dance and style by playing the sheer endless varieties of the more basic patterns before I will go into the more difficult tricks.

After all, its supposed to be a nice looking play, not adding trick after trick after tick ...

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ZeroG

But as fluiditiy and variety are much more imortant ingredients to a nice play than trickery IMHO, I am working mostly on transitions and turns now and I want to finesse flow and dance and style by playing the sheer endless varieties of the more basic patterns before I will go into the more difficult tricks.

After all, its supposed to be a nice looking play, not adding trick after trick after tick ...

I am totally with you weavesmiley

Just try doing what you can do in all possible ways and directions, than work on transition and on DANCE!!!

It' s what I' m doing right now.

And then, it' s very important to work on planes... when I started I had no idea of what planes were, so I learnt a lot of tricks, but the result was a real kaos O_O and only in the last few months I concentrated on planes, and now I can pass from one plane to another easily and my stile earned in fluidity ^^

Planes planes planeeeees (it' s the cry of my boy everytime he watches me playin' =_=''')
EDITED_BY: dawn2dusk (1149256273)

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
I think that my best advice would be, first of all, not to think that five beat weave and more advanced tricks are too hard, because often it's just a matter of getting your muscles to agree with you and getting yourself in the right headspace, and then just really puzzling them out. I would suggest going to the lessons portion of HOP, and also if you do a search for videos online, there's another website Mot's Place, which will not be hard to find, and they have some wicked lessons that are not difficult.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
I hate to scream like this, but:
WINDMILLS!!!!!!!!!
They are possibly the best thing for combining weaves, and for jamming in between.

Go learn them!!

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.