• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Katerpillar

Katerpillar

Total posts: 19
Posted:Is anybody going to celebrate the solstice at Stonehenge this year? I've not been before and was wondering if there's likely to be fire - I know the official website says not but I keep seeing photos of fire from previous years.

Kat x

...dream is destiny...

Delete Topic

andythepoi

andythepoi

addict

Total posts: 508
Posted:I've been last three years and they've been ok with fire people. smile

It's smashing to be back x

Delete

FireNix
BRONZE Member since Apr 2001

FireNix

old hand

Total posts: 904
Posted:Its deffinately NOT my experience that theyre 'OK with fire people' part of the agreement with English Heritage ('owners of the Stones'!!!) is that there is NO fire within a certain distance of the Stones, I was a Steward about 4 years ago and was supposed to enforce that - NOT!!!
The next year I wnet and did it myself, but the Stewards/Security got arsey
Away from the Stones, ie carpark should be OK, but Sunrise festival would be LOADS better!!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Delete

VampyricAcid
SILVER Member since Jun 2005

VampyricAcid

veteran

Total posts: 1286
Posted:if i could get a lift, i;d be there in an instant!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted:I may be going again this year.

I went last year with Frodo and some other SFSers. We saw that fire staffs weren't being admitted even if they were only intended to be used unlit. I think the owners may have even been members of HoP - Mynci? - but I'm not sure. Closer to sunrise we did see people burning which we were confused about and I don't recall them being asked to stop. They certainly weren't burning for long so they may have been asked to while I wasn't looking.

The rules may have been a little more lenient last year than most because it was the 20th anniversary of the Battle of the Beanfield. I spoke to people who had attended for that very reason - many of whom had been at the battle itself - and who held resentment (understandably!) for the police so they and the site staff may have overlooked some behaviour in order to avoid confrontation.

Torches were lit and fire was spun as part of a ceremony but this was most likely by prior arrangement and it would be a great shame if it were not allowed. Whether people like the conditions of entry or not, if they don't agree with them, they shouldn't raise the chances of fire being banned from the ceremony for the sake of wanting to have a burn. A solstice can happen anywhere but Stonehenge is a place of worship for some and that should be respected.

No other fire is permitted anywhere upon the site - including the car park - so if you want to be admitted, I'd suggest not bringing fire toys unless you want:

- a long walk back to the car park to put them back in your car

- not to be admitted and have to watch from outside

- to leave your fire toys with the site staff umm

I'd rather save myself the bother and just take glow toys smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Marnie
GOLD Member since May 2005

stranger

Posted:sorry guys, whats the url for the stonehenge solstice?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Delete

FireNix
BRONZE Member since Apr 2001

FireNix

old hand

Total posts: 904
Posted:I shall be driving to Sunrise
I also have a few extra tickets, if anyones interested.Please PM me for possible lift and/or tickets

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Delete

Katerpillar

Katerpillar

Posted:Thanks everyone - personally I'd rather go to Sunrise too but this isn't a festival thing, this is a me-and-my-friend-going-to-Stonehenge thing, I just hoped I'd get some fire in while I was there (I usually try to fit some fire in pretty much anywhere). Anyway I can't really afford another festival as I'm going to Shamania in July.

So I'll pack plenty of batteries instead of paraffin and get glowing!

Marnie, the url is: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.5067xx

...dream is destiny...

Delete

Dreamstate
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

Dreamstate

Total posts: 2
Posted:Firenix.

What are the tickets you have for: coach?

Delete

Katerpillar

Katerpillar

Posted:Now the solstice is over, I thought I'd finish off my thread by answering my own question, for the benefit of future searching!

And the answer is.... drumroll....

categorically definitely and unambiguously there is NO fire at Stonehenge. I saw a couple of fires lit, including some poi, and the stewards had them out within about 30 seconds. There was some fire spinning in the car park but where's the fun in that? Lots of glow poi though, so I did some spinning anyway (before it started raining). It was all a bit organised for me so I shan't be going again, but it was good for the experience and to be among the stones.

Katherine x

...dream is destiny...

Delete