Page:
tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
An interesting thing happened to me this morning: Sitting at my desk, keeping the wheels of commerce turning and that sort of thing, when my vision got up and left. All I could see were colours and bright jagged lines, for about 1 1/2 hours which made life a little tricky. Normally, I have to pay good money to get effects like that, but this time it was free, and not at all welcome. A visit to the doctors told me I'd suffered an "occular migraine", although he couldn't say how to avoid getting another one. I was wondering if anyone else gets these, or just normal migraines, and what you do to avoid/cure them, apart from throwing paracetamol down your throat. I've already considered what I think is the best cure for just about anything :

Don't worry, be happy...

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
where do you work?

migraines are fucking evil arn't they. I don't know any good cures really but maybee you could avoid the causes. Too much stress or too many chemicals are the sort of things that can set them off.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Just by the temple meads roundabout. It was just a regular day, hadn't taken any chemicals, didn't seem too stressed, then wham...

Don't worry, be happy...

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
oof, i had one once when i was at school i thought there were chickens all over the class room

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
https://www.faqs.org/faqs/medicine/migraine/natural-cures/

i just found this that might be of help

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
eat something magenta in color, adding beetroot generally gives the desired effect, or perhaps visualize that color, this is according to color therapy and auras.

Did that help?

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks guys! I sat and thought purple thoughts while reading that natural cures article - Cheers Jim, some useful info there

Don't worry, be happy...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok you got my full sympathy. I haven't had one in ages, thank god. You don't say if you got headache at all but my standard migraine involves about an hour of the aura thing you described and then the aura dissappears to be replaced with the worst headaches in the history of the universe (besides tick bite fever that is)

They don't seem to be caused by anything. I've had under pressure, under no pressure, after drug binges after done nothing for ages, there doesn't seem to be a pattern. The bad news is once you've had one the first time you tend to get 'em again.

I've come up with no remedies I'm afraid. There's anti migraine tablets like migraleave but it leaves you feeling like you've been hit on the head with a shovel, mad dissorientated and stuff.

Haven't tried the herb , maybe smoke your brain out and try get some sleep. Sleep is good. I'm not a doctor though...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I get them. The worst one I ever had lasted for a week. Mine are generally non-occular though and are stress or sinus induced. THe only thing that ever helps mine is sleep. Closing myself of into a dark room and just being inthe quiet. Lavender can sometimes help, by rubbing it on the temples. FOr occular you can take the heels of your hand and gently press them into your eyes. It does help. Pressure on your temples does as well. My friend swears by rubbing IcyHot on her temples, but I think that is the menthol and rubbing combined that do the job.
Just a few suggestions.
I hope they avoid hitting you like a freight train in the future!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
One of the things I used to recomened when I worked in a hippy health food shop was feverfew. It is a long term thing that you need to take everyday to help prevent - it's not a cure for when you got one.. It looks like a big daisy.. you can get little pills of it all munched up ready for you. It helps by incresing the blood flow thru to the brain and important areas (amonsgt other stuff).. Ginko Biloba would also be good for this - but that also inceases memory retention (not that you want that, I quite like my skatty memory)

But with all herbal thingies - speak to your doctors before you take them - if it gets really bad maybe go and see a herbalist/ naturepath or maybe even get allergy testing done.. some times it can be diatary...

Hope you get no more tho hun!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My cure is not to get them. 100% of my migranes that have happened over the last year were brought on by.

1) Alcohol...mixed with
2) Dehydration and/or
3) Low blood sugar.

Hence, I do not ever drink unless I have had at least a liter of water and 500 Calories in the preceding hour. I don't get migranes anymore.

As for how to treat them without using medical drugs?

1) Marijuana. Now, as far as I'm concerned, this is a drug. But some people don't see it that way.

2) Hydration. Drink water. Note that this only works if you aren't throwing up.

3) Lavendar and hibiscus aromas. They don't do much, but they give you a non-noxious stimulus.

4) Vicodin.

5) Sleep. Assuming you can get to sleep.

6) A teaspoon of honey and a mug of hot water. See the disclaimer on (2).

Tell me, do you get any sort of pain when this happens?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
This is my method of dealing with them:

Lay on the couch complaining with all the curtains closed so no light can get in. Have a bucket nearby for if you need to vomit. Take lots of drugs then complain when they don't work.

Okay, I didn't say it was effective...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
My doctor said that you should always make a list of what you eat. And if there's a certain pattern to what you're eating on the day you get migranes, you stop eating that thing.

One of her patients had a natural reaction to Peanut Butter ( ) so she can't eat that anymore. Also I've heard rumors that caffine opens up the blood vessels above the eye, where my migranes generally occur.

But, if all else fails. Check Rozi's idea
Cheers,
Kinudin

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
fyi.... a headache/miagrane should never be used as excuse to not have sex for the endorfines released at the point of orgasm are scientifically proven to combat pain moreso than codine...
happyhunting
mythmitch

good cure, no?

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the help
Just to answer the question of headaches - after the vision thingy stopped, I had a sharp ache above my right eye, which isn't killing me, but it would be nice if it wasn't there. That pain is still there now, 24 hours later. I reckon fi-PRIMATE-re's got the right idea, but I'll try mix that up with a few others - having sex in dark, quiet room with a joint and a cup of honey and water sounds alright as far as cures go. Thanks again for the suggestions

Don't worry, be happy...

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well if your female, sex releases endorphines and those act like a pain killer, so take two and dont bother calling me in the morning.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I'm male, so the mere thought of sex releases endorphins.

Don't worry, be happy...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by tadpole:
I reckon fi-PRIMATE-re's got the right idea, but I'll try mix that up with a few others - having sex in dark, quiet room with a joint and a cup of honey and water sounds alright as far as cures go.
Attaboy! See, everyone has his/her own little remedy. This can be yours. Tell your doctor if it works, too (doctors love to be amused by patients).

-Mike

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
Well I know you've had several responses already but I've been getting migranes (usually without the vision thing) and compression headaches all my life, every 2-3 months usually. I have a patented method which works so well that I never travel or go far without the cure close by.

It is to take a really hot bath, and submerge your head in it for long periods of time. But add to the bath about a dozen drops of Gerranium oil (available from aromatherapy counters). After a half hour of this the bastard should go.

Bliss...

Will

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Many thanks all - the bastard's finally given up and gone back to where it came from

Thanks again fro the remedies, it all helped

I almost feel like going out and celebrating...

Don't worry, be happy...

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure how this works on migraines but here's how I get rid of friends headaches.

Massage the back of the neck, start at the base on either side of the spinal column, kneading soft to medium, working your way up. Visualize drawing the negative energy(the pain) up and out as you move up. The back of the neck holds alot of this bad energy, all you're doing here is drawing it to one place so that it can be released. I usually set the release point where the neck meets the head, taking a few minutes to work my way up. Then I use the same visualization massaging the temples ccw normal and split time(thats vertical plane ) for a minute or so. n Here's the biggest trik for releasing all that pressure after you've brought it up to the surface. You have a pressure point on your fore head about where each eyebrow starts, apply medium pressure on these with your fingertip at the same time for 30 seconds. Pull your fingers away slowly. feels weird huh..has always worked for me

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about occular migraines, but I used to get really bad headaches and the odd migraine, but none since cutting out all the foods I have intolerance to.

Think Dairy, Wheat, Caffeine, see if you can link those to the migraine, particularly if you start to get them regularly.

Also it might help to come and have a spin in Bath on Monday nights. Just an idea.

Magnus... pay it forward

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Do my eyebrows start in the middle and go outwards, or on the outside and go inwards? I've tried both, but can't work out which one it's supposed to be.

Don't worry, be happy...

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Cheers Magnus, are you spinning at the moment - as in winter, not right now... If so, where abouts do you meet, I don't know Bath at all.

Don't worry, be happy...

1,148 posts

Posted:
oops, guess that bit of info might help..I call where they start where they almost meet together, or for our lycanthrope friends 1/2 inch on either side from the middle of your forehead, slightly higher(for me at least) than your eyebrows

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hey!! I want a migrane!! So I have a good excuse to have sex in the quiet dark, lots of massages with hunny..... and smokes!! Oh did the hot water fit in there somewhere - oh yeah have a hot bath after sex with hunny massages then lots of 'submerging'.. or should that go with the hunny massage??

*MisStix tries to pull her dirty mind out the gutter - but it just won't move!*

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
My mum has done reiki and pranic healing so I'm down with the hole use universal energy thing.
I was at a party and a friend had a really sore shoulder/ base of neck (right side), so I put my hands on the area and visualized drawing that negative energy out of her, it worked fine and she said it dissapeared about 30 mins later, the problem was that I ended up getting a really sore knee over the next couple of days, so I havn't tried that again since and probably won't until I learn how to release the negative energy as well.

P.S. I havn't done any courses in this stuff yet (reiki etc) just have a total belief that it's real and works.

P.P.S. To clarify, with hands on healing it is possible to take on that negative energy.

[ 23. January 2003, 05:57: Message edited by: JeStEr ]

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

1,148 posts

Posted:
smokinsexmassagehunnyinthedark 'submerged'?!? Now that's talent..Is that with or without the glowinthedark snorkel eh?

Ars Pyronomica

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
MisStix

You want a migraine? I'll sell you all of mine.

Cheap...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Oh Bless you Will - thats really sweet of you - but I couldn't possibly.. thats just too big an offer..

I do have full sympathy for all sufferers tho.. If any of you can make it to my flat in Camberley, Surrey I'll do a full reiki/massage thing on you.. I've been told I got good fingers for finding bad energy..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MisStix:
Oh Bless you Will - thats really sweet of you - but I couldn't possibly.. thats just too big an offer..

I do have full sympathy for all sufferers tho.. If any of you can make it to my flat in Camberley, Surrey I'll do a full reiki/massage thing on you.. I've been told I got good fingers for finding bad energy..

That's sweet of you, MisStix.

Now, if any of you are attractive and female, I'll be more than happy to help you with the orgasm thing. Just one of the many services I generously offer.

-Mike

Page: