Forums > Social Discussion > Wick Degredation (really fast)

Login/Join to Participate

James_HillyerGOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
Hi guys. Been searching the threads for about 3 hours now and Im not quite sure it can answer what I have to ask, if so please feel free to redirect me.

Mate of mine has just bought a new staff, KEVLAR wicks before someone asks, and whilst the wicks aren't as fat as the HoP ones (god theyre generous) they have a really short burn time now. Initially they were of decent spin time compared to their size, but the burn time is getting much shorter, very quickly, on a spin by spin basis. We are using camping fluid, dual fuel as we call it, and from my research on your forums I think the americans call it coleman's. Anyway the spin time is now down to 1 minute, down from 2 or 2 1/2. The outside of the wick is carbonized as with any heads and the inside still looks good, but I was wondering if anyone could put foward Any ideas to do with this. We have tried soaking them for a minute to let them take up some more fuel, which helps a ...'bit'... but nothing too much.

We are about to try using some lamp oil or parafin to see if this helps, and I had the thought of burning with metho for a little while to help 'clean' it out a bit, but again any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

weavesmiley Jimmy weavesmiley

a) Those who can, Do It.
b) Those who know, Post It.
c) Those who can't, Read It.
d) Those with ego's, Argue It.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hmm, if the fuel burns really hot then it can kinda burn out the material.

I used some french fuel once that did that to my rope wicks.

Could be that the wick is a kevlar mix??? dunno.

Also when you burn them the first time you should give them a really good soak, like over night. That seems to increase the life span.

You should always really fill the heads up with as much fuel as they can hold and put them out before they go out by themselves.

You can also dunk the heads after use to put out any bits that are slowly singe-ing

I use to keep my wet all the time inside jars with a little fuel in.

other than that i dunno

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Any chance you left these out in the rain? If so then the middle of your wicks may be filled with water which will inhibit the uptake of fuel. Be careful if you subscribe to the dunking smouldering wicks philosophy if you're using white gas, remember, low flash point.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
"Be careful if you subscribe to the dunking smouldering wicks philosophy if you're using white gas, remember, low flash point. "

well said, sorry i always use parafin in uk, you can drop a match in it and it will put it out (but i don't suggest trying it)

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
The dunking after a burn and soaking for longer then saturation theories (both of which I've never followed yet my wicks are still fine) aren't likely to be responsible for such effects over the short term, I think.

I believe it would most likely be the wicking itself however i'd assume that would be noticable and you say they seem fine. If they've only been soaked in the one fuel then I'm not sure why the burn time would fall so quickly.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1148571390)

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

James_HillyerGOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
Thanks for suggestions guys, I'll ask if he has kept it out in the rain etc. About a day ago we had been running through ten minutes of rain if that is going to affect it (moderate rain), and half of me says well yes it could have an impact, whilst the other half says it was only 10-15 minutes, so yeah.

Again many thanks guys

Jimmy

a) Those who can, Do It.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
how fast is your mate spinning? speed of your spinning often makes the burn time shorter

James_HillyerGOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
Oh he spins up fast sometimes, but when you say he was spinning that fast originally and getting 2 1/2 mins, and now he is only getting 1, it seems kind of odd. Thanks for the idea though Ade, I will try to time a slow spin for a more accurate result.

a) Those who can, Do It.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Well, some kevlar is a lot higher quality than others, and it also depends on how fast or slow you spin as well.

just a couple thoughts

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
i've had my poi for 3 years, and they still burn for up to 5 minuts, and iv never changed wick. i use kerosene, soke for about 2-3 minuts, and re-dip arfter they cool down. i store them in plastic bags, in a cardbord tube, so they've never gotten water on them, (except if somthing goes rong in a performance, then we wrap them in a wet blanket) you would probly find that 10 minuts could have an ettect, but, as i sed, mine havent gotten wet, so im not to sure.

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I can understand the idea of dipping them after they've gone out to stop them smouldering...but whats dipping them after they've cooled down supposed to do except leave you carrying paraffin soaked wicks?

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

James_HillyerGOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
Aha time for me to strike back in, I believe Kieron that the dipping once theyre cold thing is meant to keep out the humidity from the air (the whole water / oil deal)....

....That and if I'm carrying around paraffin soaked wicks and you RUN AT ME IN AN ALLEY I CAN STRIKE BACK!

Oh and was I the only one who spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out what ettect was, or am I just spethial

a) Those who can, Do It.

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
precisely.the kerosein acts as a preservative, to prevent degradation of the wick.also, only using 1 type of fuel, insures that u dont try to mix non-compatable chemicals. and i appologise for my spelling. i know it sux. however, if u do want 2 re-dip, it is advisable to wrap the wick in plastic bages so they cant dry out.

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12