Page:
Scorched_Outnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
First off, let me say that I love the site. And though I have a feeling that I will not be liked very much after this post, I'm glad to be a part of this community. Now on to the negativity.

I would very much like to comment on post after post condemning fire breathing. Here, as well as every site that I seem to visit about the fire arts, contain horrible warnings about fire breathing and it's effects as if the simple thought of the art would turn you into a HIDEOUS MONSTER FROM BEYOND DEATH AND HELL!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And yet thousands of people are doing it everyday. Now, do not take me wrongly. I do agree that the art is dangerous. Kinda like stepping into a hug steel box full of hundreds of pounds of jet fuel. And then, with relative stupidity, launching that box five miles into the air just so you can get from one place to another faster. Good lord! We would never imagine doing that now would we?

Or why would we ever dream of jumping out of that box with a sheet extended over our heads, attached by a couple of strings, just to make our fall to the earth a little softer? Oh my God thats ludicrous!!!

But we do it. And we do it without constantly advising these people of the dangers of flight or parachuting. Ok...I've gotten off track here. My point is simply this. Any time you decide to play with fire for the fun of it your placing yourself at risk. PERIOD!!!

There is no imphasis on fire breathing here. The imphasis should be on lighting a fire at all. You light a camp fire and you run the risk of burning the whole forest down. Your light a grill and you run the risk of it blowing up in your face.

I've been a breather for eight years now. I've never been burned, I've never burned anybody else, I've never gotten sick from the fuel, or lost my teeth, or ended up in the hospital as a result. I make gold from fire and I'm happy!

I mean come on! Poi seems more dangerous to me. Slinging around a burning cloth on the end of a chain? Right! I invision audience members burning to death from a poi thats gotten out of hand. I refuse to stand within a hundred feet of those guys in case they miss a beat and throw that thing all over me! At least my tower burns out in a few seconds.

Look, Im not trying to make waves here. I sympathize with those who have been injured while breathing. But I feel a little hurt that the art that I love so much is being turned into the worst thing since the fall of lucifer! Especially when something as dangerous as poi is getting the old shoulder shrug.

Fire breathing is a magnificent art. Dangerous it is. As is any other fire art. More dangerous than the rest? I don't think so. And I resent the acclimation.

EDITED_BY: Scorched_Out (1148467391)

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
So, what's this about it making your teeth fall out?

Does it?

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh my lord.

where do I start?

The fact that you can sit there and claim that your a professinal and have been fire breathing for 8 years yet have NO IDEA of the risks of Chemical Pneumonia and ARDS?
Utterly mind bloggling.
I am quite confident to say that you havent done any proper research into the dangers of your 'profession'

I am completely gobsmacked that you would have the audacity to claim that Peles accident was due to lack of training.
Not only is that rude and disrespectful to Peles experience it also shows your lack of knowledge in regards to the unpreditability of fire breathing. I realy think you have not watched Peles interview and perhaps if you did you wouldnt be so flippant.

Pele is without a doubt one of the most experienced people on this site, and quite possibly the world, when it comes to Fire breathing. She trained and performed a VERY long time before this accident, and when the accident occured it wasnt her fault, it was and uncontrolable weather factor that harmed her.

Pele took every precaution possible and the wind is what caused her accident, definatly NOT her lack of training.
Last I checked the weather is not something that you can control through training.

I really think that if this is your attitude to the most dangerous of the fire arts, then you are not someone I would hire, to make your "gold"

May I suggest that you retrain and then sit down and talk to Pele, Dangerboy, and Liam, and the others who have fought for their life after fire breathing accidents.
Then you may have an understanding of the danger of your flippant attitude.

Im so so glad that you havent had a firebreathing accident. From what you are saying it is quite by luck rather than training and knowledge of the art.

Written by:

Sounds like hype to me. I'll be willing to bet my next shows gold that most accidents happen because of inexperience and bad or no training at all. With proper training it becomes no more dangerous than any other fire art.

Just that quote in itself shows you dont have an understanding of the danger of firebreathing.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: OWD

I would not employ a fire-breather and, if performing, would refuse to work with one

(out of real interest)

Why? Why wouldn't you work with a fire breather? Surely the vast proportion of the risk is to the performer themselves, for whom you are not responsible? Admittedly, if the performer was ignoring basic safety and generally being inconsiderate/dangerous then I would agree completely. However I'm not sure why you wouldn't work on the same gig as someone who was professional in attitude, took themselves and their work seriously and just do what they enjoy.

I acknowledge that you are entitled to your opinion that fire-breathing is talentless/dirty etc etc etc but as a fire breather myself (sometimes), then I would now feel uncomfortable talking to you, because I would always feel that I was doing something that would lower your opinion of me. I don't want to feel that reviled just for doing something I enjoy and presents (relatively) minimal risk to anyone other than myself.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
There is no arguement.

If you breathe fire you will get Chemical Pneumonia, this is guaranteed.

frown

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Stone: Isn't that something of an overstatement? Isn't it more accurate to say "If you fire breathe then you are very very likely to get Chemical Pneumonia"? In the same way you say "If you smoke then you are very very likely to get cancer"?

I find it hard to believe that every single fire breather ever has had chemical pneumonia... I'm sure HoP wouldn't even give guidelines on how to do it if that was the case.

(Or were you talking about frequent/prolonged fire breathing, as in a career path?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Valura

Pele took every precaution possible and the wind is what caused her accident, definatly NOT her lack of training.
Last I checked the weather is not something that you can control through training.

A quote from peles article,
"I stepped back and wiped my mouth, inhaling through my nose. The wind not only rose up but also shifted westerly at the same time. The pillar passed over my head. The remaining aspirated fuel, instead of igniting, blew back into my face as I was inhaling, going up into my nose and lungs."

Before i say this i dont mean to be disrespectful to pele.

I wasnt properly trained but common sense tells me not to inhale until the fire and main cloud of vapour has disappated.

Im not saying my method is perfect or 100% safe but in pele's situation i would have just gotten fuel on my face and not been hurt.

Sure the weather cant be controled but if you dont inhale until the main vapour cloud is gone even the strongest gust of wind wont send fuel down your throat.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sethis

I would not employ a fire-breather and, if performing, would refuse to work with one

(out of real interest)

Why? Why wouldn't you work with a fire breather? Surely the vast proportion of the risk is to the performer themselves, for whom you are not responsible? Admittedly, if the performer was ignoring basic safety and generally being inconsiderate/dangerous then I would agree completely. However I'm not sure why you wouldn't work on the same gig as someone who was professional in attitude, took themselves and their work seriously and just do what they enjoy.

A fair question.

I wouldn't work with a fire breather (let me make clear that I'm talking about fire breathers who are actually fire breathing on the gig- I have no problems with people who happen to be fire breathers doing some, say, spinning, I just don't want to appear with people actaully fire-breathing), because-

1. I don't want to be seen as approving, condoning or being associated with, the act of fire breathing. As I previously said, members of the public who have no idea of the actual risks of breathing may, on seeing it performed, be inclined to take it up or try it out

I know from experience that members of the public tend to assume that fire-spinners/fire-jugglers also fire-breathe.

2. I have the luxury of fire performing being a very minimal part of my work- the few times i do do it tends to be for community groups, whose awareness of the reality of fire breathing (the risks, the long term health damage and the many injuries etc) are minimal- I go out of my way to educate them, if only the save them being sued when they employ an amateur who messes up. As a result it's unlikely that they'll book both me and a fire-breather.

3. I personally don't want to be at a gig when a fire breathe goes wrong. We all choose where we want to spend our time and, personally speaking, I don't want to be around when some fire-breather gets it wrong and goes down either on fire, or gasping for breathe, and has to be rushed off to intensive care.

Admittedly, if the performer was ignoring basic safety and generally being inconsiderate/dangerous then I would agree completely. However I'm not sure why you wouldn't work on the same gig as someone who was professional in attitude, took themselves and their work seriously and just do what they enjoy.

Sadly, where I am, the unprofessional/idiotic fire-breather is in the majority- it doesn't take much to learn the basics and then pass it off as part of the repetoire.

Many of the community groups and other potential employers not only have no appreciation of the dangers of any of the fire arts, but also fail to ask for insurance details from the people they employ.

This is particularly the case with night clubs/pubs, and there is no shortage of amateurs who will glady do the gig for free admitance and free drinks!

Let me qualify my original post- if I was doing more fire performing and doing it for responsible corporate employers (who pay proper rates and check insurance etc) I would not have a problem being on the same bill as a professional fire-breather.

I acknowledge that you are entitled to your opinion that fire-breathing is talentless/dirty etc etc etc but as a fire breather myself (sometimes), then I would now feel uncomfortable talking to you, because I would always feel that I was doing something that would lower your opinion of me. I don't want to feel that reviled just for doing something I enjoy and presents (relatively) minimal risk to anyone other than myself.

Don't feel uncomfortable- I don't look down on fire-breathers (unless they're the type who insist on promoting fire-breathing as a safe activity and encouraging the naive to get into it).

I simply do not like fire-breathing, that's my opinion and I'm sure, if you were interested enough in talking to me in the first place, that the fact i hold an opinion you disagree with, is not grounds for a problem?

I don't like smoking either, but have no issues with my many friends who happen to smoke.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spiderbaby

I wasnt properly trained but common sense tells me not to inhale until the fire and main cloud of vapour has disappated.

Im not saying my method is perfect or 100% safe but in pele's situation i would have just gotten fuel on my face and not been hurt.

Sure the weather cant be controled but if you dont inhale until the main vapour cloud is gone even the strongest gust of wind wont send fuel down your throat.

Somebody was just saying that the cloud of fuel can hang in the air for something like 20 seconds-- that's a long while to hold your breath while performing.

Besides, whether or not she or you or anybody COULD have avoided that particular problem by doing something a little bit different that time (not that anybody has any business saying so if they weren't THERE), the point is, she'd done it thousands of times before without incident. Nobody can say with absolute confidence that they can do a dangerous thing thousands of times without screwing up even once. Heck, most of us have been walking for years and years, we really ought to be experts, but we all still manage to trip on something from time to time. Crap happens. Maybe you get a random urge to sneeze, maybe a bee flies in your face, maybe an overexcited audience member throws something, maybe you just have an off day-- who knows. The fact is one tiny little sip of breath at the wrong second can kill you. I can't think of any other activities like that-- even a skydiver or a motorcycle racer will be just fine if he sneezes. A tightrope walker with no safety line might be in trouble, but still has a better chance.

Myself, I'm amazed it's even legal.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnarly Cranium

why? if they make fire breathing against the law, whats to stop them banning fire spinning? fire sculpture? bonfires, BBQ's, matches?! where would the madness end!!(/melodrama)

yes fire breathing is extremely dangerous, but do not forget, as fire performers we all get painted with the same brush, joe public finds what we do so enthralling partly because its pretty, but partly because we are swinging fire around our heads. To be honest anyone trying anything to do with fire when not properly prepared is dangerous, just think, a 3 year old with matches can destroy a house, whereas a properly trained fire breather can do 1000 performances and not get singed.

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
The fact that this character only reged on the 24th seems a little odd and his style of posting is more than a little familiar:
Anyone remember Raymund Phule?

This is trolling by an inexperienced amateur as far as I'm concerned, a child on the other end of the phone.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

So lets all try and not get too worked up ok? wink

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Written by: Scorched_Out

Myself and my team put on an hour long show that will make you stand in awe. Pyromancer is awesome! Im better. And I got the flames to prove it.

I'll bet your crew could kick my ass at counterstrike too.

ubblol

ubblol ubblol ubblol NYC you frickin ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!! ubblol ubblol ubblol

Oh look I found Scorched Outs picture clicky clicky

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Raymond Phule would never say stuff like that about Pele. He adores her.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

*remembers Ray-mound Fuel* ubblol

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:

A couple of months ago I heard that theres a new book coming out that exposes the dark beginnings of fire breathing culture. One of the most interesting things I heard was that fire breathing was invented by carnies so that their slightly retarded children would have something to contribute to the show.

Fire breathing professionally will end up giving you massive damage to your health. Ive heard that from every single pro I've ever spoken to. Im amazed that you think its safe, and frankly Im wondering whether the person who trained you was really as 'pro' as you make em out to be.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well... if a 'tard can do it..

wink

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:

Let me qualify my original post- if I was doing more fire performing and doing it for responsible corporate employers (who pay proper rates and check insurance etc) I would not have a problem being on the same bill as a professional fire-breather.

Fair enough. I was wondering what your reasoning would be behind a blanket refusal to appear on the same stage as a fire breather ever. Now I know that that's not what you meant.

I simply do not like fire-breathing, that's my opinion and I'm sure, if you were interested enough in talking to me in the first place, that the fact i hold an opinion you disagree with, is not grounds for a problem?

Sure it isn't, I just meant that I would feel uneasy talking to someone who had such a low opinion of something I enjoy so much, and who knew I did it... kinda like asking my old headmaster for time to practice in a band during lessons wink

I'm sorry that there are so many fire breathers out there who teach people indiscriminantly and in an unsafe manner. It's certainly nothing I'd ever do, and I feel a bit ashamed that there are such idiots among our numbers.

All I can say is that it's a new experience for me to be so... alienated? Reveiled? Condemned? None of those words are really accurate for what I mean. I just get a sense that lots of people don't like Fire breathing, (which is fair enough) but more to the point don't like fire breathers either. I've never felt that in any other aspect of my life and it's a little unsettling. Sometimes I feel when I say "I fire breathe" on here that it's like admitting to a filthy habit, like picking your nose and wiping it under the table (which I don't do biggrin).

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Sure it isn't, I just meant that I would feel uneasy talking to someone who had such a low opinion of something I enjoy so much, and who knew I did it... kinda like asking my old headmaster for time to practice in a band during lessons wink

I'm sorry that there are so many fire breathers out there who teach people indiscriminantly and in an unsafe manner. It's certainly nothing I'd ever do, and I feel a bit ashamed that there are such idiots among our numbers.

All I can say is that it's a new experience for me to be so... alienated? Reveiled? Condemned? None of those words are really accurate for what I mean. I just get a sense that lots of people don't like Fire breathing, (which is fair enough) but more to the point don't like fire breathers either. I've never felt that in any other aspect of my life and it's a little unsettling. Sometimes I feel when I say "I fire breathe" on here that it's like admitting to a filthy habit, like picking your nose and wiping it under the table (which I don't do biggrin).

For many of us, a 'filthy habit' pretty much describes the attitude to fire breathing, though personally I'd consider it more like smoking than nose picking; in that, as I mentioned before, I have no objections to people having a smoking habit, unless they insist on promoting it as a good activity to others.

Many of us here have had friends hurt through fire-breathing, back in the days where the dangers where either not known, or down played- before HOP adopted its current responsible attitude to breathing.

To any newbies considering taking it up, I'd want them to know that, if they do get into it it WILL damage their health- if not through an accident that will lead to intensive care, then by the long-term and totally unavoidable absorbtion of the toxic and carcinogenic fuel.

I'd also like them to know that most of their peers in the arts with any sense, tend to see fire-breathing as being more a display of lack of self-respect, than an impressive or skillful art.

If a breather knows the risks (really knows the risks, in a way which the starter of this thread obviously doesn't) and makes a decent living from it, then I guess I'd see it as being like any other high-risk profession e.g. deep-sea-diving; you take the known risk cos the rewards are good.

But, if deep-sea divers then go on to insist on promoting deep-sea diving as an activity suitable for newbies as a hobby, or insist that deep-sea diving is not that dangerous, or that it doesn't carry serious health risks; then I'm going to react in much the same way I do when fire-breathers say the same about fire-breathing.

Fire-breathing is basically a profession, a risky one, done for the cash.

It's not really a hooby for most, IMO, it shouldn't be glamorised, it doesn't make you a 'dragon' (a phrase i saw on another thread), it's not an 'art', it's not particualrly skillful and, IMO, no-one with any degree of self respect should be putting paraffin in their mouth; most definitly they shouldn't encourage others to do so.

As far as I can see Sethis, you do none of the above; i just want you to understand why some of us are so down on theactual act of fire-breathing.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: owd

This is particularly the case with night clubs/pubs, and there is no shortage of amateurs who will glady do the gig for free admitance and free drinks!

That's unfortunately true. Our juggling soc gets asked a lot to perform for drinks and maybe paraffin, but whenever we tell them that we can't afford insurance and won't perform without it, but they might be able to insure their event, we don't even get a reply anymore.

Let alone that saying "have some alcohol and then go and spin" is maybe not the right attitude.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:

Sounds like hype to me. I'll be willing to bet my next shows gold that most accidents happen because of inexperience and bad or no training at all. With proper training it becomes no more dangerous than any other fire art. Chem flu?....hehehe...oooooooooooook

with that comment i put you down to pathetic and not proffessional

accidents happen not because of bad training or inexperience.
like anything you do in life, professional footballers get injured not because they are inexperienced, racing car drivers crash and thats not cause of poor training it is because things happen, accidents happen all the time and no one can put it down to inexperience or poor training

you are acting as if you know it all, as if you are the best in the world, but everyone makes mistakes. and one day you may very well make a mistake too and i hope to god you dont but it can happen and the smug attitude you have on the theory may well be the path to a slip up because one day you may be so smug you forget to step back or whatever it is fire breathers do

mad

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Thats all I have to say

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Written by: owd

That's unfortunately true. Our juggling soc gets asked a lot to perform for drinks and maybe paraffin, but whenever we tell them that we can't afford insurance and won't perform without it, but they might be able to insure their event, we don't even get a reply anymore.

Let alone that saying "have some alcohol and then go and spin" is maybe not the right attitude.

It's very common- the attitude of 'do some fire for us and you'll get into the event free and we'll give you some drinks'.

Given the character of many club organisers it's no real surprise that they don't give thought to the realities and dangers of fire work, or that the last thing any sensible fire -performer should require during the gig is alcohol.

A few years back, at least you as a performer could just take your own responsibility for safety precautions/turn down drinks, do the gig and get paid enough to make it worth while.

With the large increase of fire wannabees, ease of making/pyrchasing equipment and accessible info, there are now plenty of amateurs who'll do the gig just for drinks and admittance, so there's no incentive for the club organiser to actually pay anyone or care about insurance and safety.

Someday, in addition to the actual performers who occasionally get hurt, there's going to be an audience member who gets messed up by some idiot fire-breathing when they don't have an understanding of the dangers and that'll be it- specific legislation and an end to the feasibility of any fire performing for all but the most determined professionals.

Glad to see your juggling soc makes an effort- many don't, and there's many a university who will actually use uninsured juggling soc members to liven up their events.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Scorched_Outnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Good God!!! This thread has gotten out of control!!!

Ok..ok, when I posted this thread I simply meant to object to the fact that firebreathing has this huge danger label pasted all over it while the other fire arts don't. Thats it!

I appologize to Pele, all site admins and users, and fire artists at large. I meant no disrespect. I meant no war. I know how dangerous the art is. IT'S JUST AS DANGEROUS AS ALL THE OTHER FIRE ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what chemical pneumonia is (actually lipid pneumonia is a more suitable term for the condition caused by the inhalation of oils into the bronchial tree) and I know what Acute Respiritory Disease Syndrome is. I also know that steps may be taken to lesson the risk of this deadly disease. If not stop it all together.

I would like to use what I have learned to teach people the dangers of the art and the proper way to perform it, but HOP seems dead rung on turning every potential firebreathing enthusiast away from the art. So why bother?

With this I will exit HOP

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Good God!!! This thread has gotten out of control!!!

Ok..ok, when I posted this thread I simply meant to object to the fact that firebreathing has this huge danger label pasted all over it while the other fire arts don't. Thats it!

I appologize to Pele, all site admins and users, and fire artists at large. I meant no disrespect. I meant no war. I know how dangerous the art is. IT'S JUST AS DANGEROUS AS ALL THE OTHER FIRE ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, actually fire breathing is considerably MORE DANGEROUS than the other fire arts.

wavewavewave

It's been lovely seeing you, do call back.

wavewavewave

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

186 posts

Posted:
Yeah it's a bit of an anthill to step in, isn't it?

Still...

I know how dangerous the art is. IT'S JUST AS DANGEROUS AS ALL THE OTHER FIRE ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poi won't kill you if you sneeze.

Written by:

I know what chemical pneumonia is (actually lipid pneumonia is a more suitable term for the condition caused by the inhalation of oils into the bronchial tree) and I know what Acute Respiritory Disease Syndrome is. I also know that steps may be taken to lesson the risk of this deadly disease. If not stop it all together.

...Such as?

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Loki_the_trickster

Non-Https Image Link

Thats all I have to say

Word.

"Grrrr arrrg"

Written by: Thrud

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. smile

wave

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
shortest membership ever?

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:

Somebody was just saying that the cloud of fuel can hang in the air for something like 20 seconds-- that's a long while to hold your breath while performing.

Besides, whether or not she or you or anybody COULD have avoided that particular problem by doing something a little bit different that time (not that anybody has any business saying so if they weren't THERE),

Im sorry i used Peles name as an example but perhaps greater control of inhalation would prevent some accidents.

As for fuel staying in the air for 20 seconds, i have never experienced it but im not dismissing it can happen.

I have to say the idea of outlawing firebreathing is ricockulous, why cant people take responsibility for thier own actions. Why must other people impose their views on others? Why is everything today someone elses fault? If i hurt myself breathing fire i will accept i was willing to do it and was willing to take the consequences.
Cant everyone just accept fire breathers are willing to take a risk not many people are so stop pestering them by telling them the dangers they already know?

Its strange how fire breathing is such a big issue on hop it overshadows the dangers of other arts,

how about the boy from peles interview who was steamed "like a lobster" and ended up with "3rd degree burns over 70% of his body" after a poi spinning accident

I know fire breathing is more dangerous but people who spin fire poi are never hit with a barrage of warnings telling them to stop doing that.
In general people who only spin fire poi or staff are much less concerned with safety than fire breathers so maybe the increasing number of people who just pick up a set of fire poi from the juggling store would be a better group to lecture about safety

186 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spiderbaby

I have to say the idea of outlawing firebreathing is ricockulous, why cant people take responsibility for thier own actions. Why must other people impose their views on others? Why is everything today someone elses fault?

I'm not saying it SHOULD be outlawed, I'm just sortof amazed it isn't. It's illegal to ride in the back of a pickup without a seatbelt on (at least where I live, anyway), and it's illegal to jaywalk.. and all sorts of other vaguely silly things like that. Also it's illegal to huff paint or glue... doesn't seem like toxic fuels would be too far off from that, though they're not addictive.

Written by:

Its strange how fire breathing is such a big issue on hop it overshadows the dangers of other arts

The thing about poi safety is that it's much more common sense-- if the spinny burning thing hits you, you might get burned, anybody over 5 knows that. Firebreathing's risks are a little less readily apparent-- most people might not have ANY clue how poisonous the stuff is, for instance-- and the risk of death makes it worse. The steam burn issue, with poi, is likewise a little bit less intuitive than general spinny-fire-things-burn hazards, but I see it mentioned fairly often.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think the picture of the troll might be a little too personal for my liking. The guy (while somewhat rude and egotistical) shouldn't really just be labelled a troll and insulted.

That said, I disagree with him.

That said, I agree more with spiderbaby. If I Fire Breathe then I'm not saying "Look at me, don't you want to be like me, come ask me how". I'm saying "I enjoy this and I like the experience". The general conversation I have with non-fire performers who see me practice generally go like this:

Them: Doesn't that hurt?
Me: Nope, just tastes a little odd.
Them: What are you putting in your mouth?
Me: Paraffin
Them: Really? Isn't that dangerous?
Me: Extremely. But I like doing it.
Them: How badly can you get hurt?
Me: Well I could die. Or collapse a lung. Or get cancer. Or any number of other diseases.

(cue strange look that kinda says "Riiiiiigggghhhht...")

I'm not telling anyone to do it, and I don't expect people to lecture me about the danger I'm putting myself in. I maintain that fire breathing is better than smoking, so I don't really see the huge fuss that is necessitated. It's like smoking. Everyone knows that smoking is a bad habit that will eventually kill you (or give you serious illnesses). It says so on the tin. So does Fire Breathing. But if someone says "I smoke" then people don't immediately point out "Smoking is really dangerous you know, and might kill you". That seems to be the default response to "I Fire Breathe" though...

Page: