Forums > Social Chat > Travelling in Australia and New Zealand

Login/Join to Participate

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but settled on here reasoning that since I'm not actually trying to meet anyone just yet, it shouldn't need to be put in any of the other sections.

Anyway, in about a year I'm planning to leave this country for a while and go for a wander around Australia and New Zealand.
So far the plan is to go to the Gathering (assuming it's on) and then around New Zealand for a bit, then off to Australia and drift between Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane for a while, with at least a couple of stops in Newcastle (I think), since I have relatives there.
I'm also highly tempted to make the trip to the west coast purely to visit the High Wycombe there.
A working holidy visa for Australia is also a thought that's been drifting through my mind for the last few days.

Can anyone suggest anything else I ought to think about doing while I'm there, or add anything I might not have thought of?
Also, how much money would people recommend I save up and take with me for a few months of drifting?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
What time of year are you planning to travel?

This makes a big difference in the more temperate parts of Australia.

So much fire, so little body hair...

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
In 52 and a half weeks
Mainly because that's the last thing I heard about the gathering, and it'll mean I'm I don't have to last a whole summer being really hot.
And I think I'll have enough money by then too, but since I'm not sure how much I'll need, I don't know how much I should be saving.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quickly checking me PMs and saw this. I can give you advice, but you'll have to PM me with your email address to remind me as I ain't got time now.

Gathering probably ain't gonna be on, but I can recommend better

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was starting to guess that the gathering wouldn't be on. Oh well, I'm sure once I'm over that side of the globe I'll be having plenty of fun anyway
PM on it's way with my email address.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
*books the Bovril Monkey for when he gets to Melbourne*

alright! Back off everyone! He's MINE!

heehehehehehe

Currently on the right side up of the world.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
YAY! Bovril is coming to play in Auss!!!!!!

HAPPY PIXIE DANCE YET AGAIN!

phewwwwwy! HOP is tiring you know dancing about and that...

drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by TheBovrilMonkey:
Can anyone suggest anything else I ought to think about doing while I'm there, or add anything I might not have thought of?
All the ferocious critters:

JellyfishSpidersSnakesSharksCrocsStingraysSteve Irwin

Seriously though, if there is anything you need, Bovvie-boy, drop me a line.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Though of course, that's just in Australia...

New Zealand we've got...um...hmmm, lets see

1 slightly dangerous, hard to find spider.

No snakes

No Crocs

No Steve Irwin

In fact, the most dangerous thing in NZ is all of the drunken Aussies!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey Bovril,
I was thinking of shipping off down under at the same time!!! I guess there is going to be a big HOP confrence/Festival sometime in Feb. 2004.
I have wanted to go down for ever now, and this seems like a good time to go.
I was also thinking of getting eather a holiday work visa, or a temp. citizen work visa in Australia. I was thinking of staying for a year or so. (Refugie from the Bush government)
Although I would like to work in NZ, it dosn't seem like they want outsiders staying to long. (don't blame them)
Well maby our paths will cross.
Talk to ya later,
~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
please come play at our house...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks for the replies

It'll be a while before I get there Flynt, but I'll consider myself well and truely booked

Having said that, the threat of Steve Irwin is almost enough to make me forget the whole idea

I don't really see myself getting much stuff actually organised, so I should have plenty of time to wander around spinning with as many people as I can

I was talking to Milk yesterday and he seems to think that if I get a working holiday visa I can stay in Oz for a fair while, so I'm probably going to do that.
I see the limit of working a maximum of 3 months for any employer as a fairly hefty problem though, so I'll just have to see what happens I suppose.

The main problem at the moment though, is trying not to get too excited thinking about it - it is about a year away after all

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
It may not be as big a problem as you think. I know going the other way there are agencies that can arrange contract and temp work in the UK for Aussie travellers. Check out and see if there are similar things going UK to Oz-land. If they know you have a valid visa, they will know the conditions of it, and can help you find short term temp contracts.

Work abroad monster

[ 23. January 2003, 13:55: Message edited by: Rozi ]

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Hey Bovril. You might want to check out www.lonelyplanet.com Thorn Tree discussion board. I just saw someone asking a similar question. You also get to read about people asking if they speak English in Australia! An excellent source of entertainment.

FP xx

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Superb, thanks for the links

I had a brief look at the lonely planet thorn tree, I thought asking about the language was just a joke - if someone actually asked that, then they might also have asked 'Are kangaroos poisonous?'

Out of interest though, and because I can't be bothered to look it up and don't know off the top of my head, what side of the road do Australians drive on?

[ 24. January 2003, 07:55: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'm sure Flynt never got that possesive when I announced I was coming to Oz! Huh!

Bov, sent you long rambling email already.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Nah, she just suggested jelly-wrestling with you & Ray

I'll get possessive if you like, but it will get me in trouble

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, I won't forget that. Don't worry, I'll plan some revenge for Ms Flynt. Ray, any ideas most welcome

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
quote:
I'm sure Flynt never got that possesive when I announced I was coming to Oz! Huh!

ummmmmmmm hey?
did you not hear all the uproar about it??? and how i got told off for being a Dom-hog??? EEK!

DOMS MINE< BACK OFF Y'ALL! BACK OFF!

hehehehehehee

as for revenge, have you ever BEEN jelly wrestling??? i assure you its a very pleasant past time. You should be THANKING me... indeed.

Bov darling, a working holiday visa gives you a year, and the three month thing is easier to work around than you think.... will try and email you soon regards it, i had a friend over from canada who stayed a year, didnt want to go home! YAY!
xxoxoxoxxoxo

Currently on the right side up of the world.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Actually not Dom, but have hijacked his UK computer and masquerading as him. Dom - if you're checking this site, you don't know it but your e-mail (capK) caught a virus - nothing coming in or out and all disabled. New codes can only be given to you. Check ur alternativa address. Phone home or K.

If anyone out there runs into Dom please pass this on.

Bridget