Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Theory: Orbits (not to be confused with orbitals)

Login/Join to Participate

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
So today, some friends and I were playing with a set of moves that we have dubbed orbits....once again, not to be confused with orbitals.

The set was inspired by something Arsn did on CoL 2k5. Basically he was doing half (one hand at a time) of a 4 beat ttn, and stalling it at the end, and doing the other one.

We started doing this, and throwing lockouts, extra beats, and half fountains into the same situation....

which brings us to the definition of an orbit: Any move, in which one poi (head) stays stationary.

So then we explored further into the set.

We found corkscrew orbits, buzzsaw orbits (looks pretty neat with the stationary poi head in front of the center of rotation of the moving one), orbit through-wraps, pretty much any move you can think of.

We also came up with what I chose to dub a "true orbit": an orbit, where you isolate the moving poi around the stationary poi.

And "The ying yang": start with one hand of a fountain, at the outer most point stall the poi (however you want, vertical, horizontal, whatever) and bring it back into a reverse fountain, when you reach the spot in front of you where the stationary poi is, you stall the moving one, and start the stationary poi in a reverse fountain, stall it at the outermost point, change it into a forward fountain, and stall it back at the center point....it should make a sideways S shape...or an old english f.

Then we got to some silly/interesting theory points.

Double orbits: no motion in either poi (either hanging, or any double stall)

Stalls are orbits for short periods of time

Isolated orbit: A perfect isolation (center of rotation = poi head)

Some of this may sound silly, but it can really look beautiful. The trick is 2 fold:

1. Changing which poi is the stationary poi, this can build an entire routine around orbits,

and

2. How the moving poi interacts with the stationary one.

An added point, you dont have to have them stop and start from the same point, you could have a stationary poi extended to your left, then stall the moving poi extended to your right, and start with the left poi...etc etc.

Play with it, tell me what you think, build on it, make videos and show me.

Basically its just extended stalls and plus perfect isolations...

but i contest that its another whole set.....

EDITED_BY: SickWithWonder (1148358580)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
same concept, different name:

[Old link]

that thread even has the description of the origins of the move you referred to (that arsn shows on col2005) ubbrollsmile

gilligans are indeed loads of fun and can get *really* silly.

they also make for a handy way of discovering where pendula and extra beats (polyrhythm style) fit into patterns - using alternately stalled poi in a weave helped me loads when i was trying to learn to weave with pendula.

not to mention that they are very unlikely to get confused with orbitals wink

there's no reasson to completely isolate that stalled poi though:

for example, gilligan flowers help to train your arms up without forcing the movements - plus they actually look a lot better than you might at first think...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
well damn....had seen the term gilligans....never knew what it was....

nothing new under the sun

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
dont mind cole, he just wanted to plug polyrhythms again wink

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
tongue