faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
there is a chat thread but i think this bears a discussion more so...
does she go too far? there is free speech but you can be respectful...this just seems crass and more than offensive
from yahoonews

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Madonna launched her first world tour in two years Sunday, delighting an enthusiastic Los Angeles crowd by hanging herself from a cross, insulting President George W. Bush, and dusting off some of the sexy moves that have sustained her career for more than 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

The "Confessions" tour will keep her on the road for two months in North America, and then resume on July 30 in Wales for a five-week stadium swing through eight European cities. Shows in Japan are also on tap for mid-September.

The 47-year-old dance diva spent two hours churning out most of the tunes from her new album, "Confessions on a Dancefloor," as well as a few old hits such as "Like a Virgin," "Ray of Light" and "Lucky Star."

The audience at the Los Angeles Forum included Madonna's Kabbalah guru Rabbi Yehuda Berg, socialite Nicole Richie, and gay icon Rosie O'Donnell, who upgraded herself to a premium seat on the floor and left her spouse alone in the stands.

The meticulously choreographed Vegas-style routine began 50 minutes late when a giant mirror ball was lowered from the ceiling to the end of a catwalk stretching deep into the floor. Out popped Madonna, in S&M-styled riding gear and whip, singing the new tune "Future Lovers" as four bare-breasted male dancers writhed around with ball gags in their mouths.

MADONNA, HITLER & BUSH

Later on, she donned a crown of thorns and suspended herself from a giant mirrored cross to deliver the ballad "Live to Tell." Video screens showed images of third-world poverty and reeled off grim statistics.

During one of her half-dozen costume changes, another video montage juxtaposed images of Bush, members of his administration and British Prime Minister Tony Blair with footage of Adolf Hitler, Osama bin Laden, and Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe. Midway through the new song "I Love New York," she deviated from the script and made a crude reference to Bush and oral sex.

Beyond that, she barely spoke to the audience, largely focusing on keeping control of a busy nightclub-style stage that boasted 15 dancers, four musicians and three backing vocalists. For the most part, she joined in the tricky choreography, her voice evidently not affected by the aerobic workout. She did pause for a few songs during which she appeared to play a shiny Gibson Les Paul guitar.

A disco segment near the end, where she dressed in a "Saturday Night Fever"-style white suit to perform "Music" thrilled the crowd, as did the "Like a Virgin" routine, when she climbed aboard a carousel-style black leather saddle.

There was no encore, and the lights came up as soon as she had completed a medley of "Lucky Star" and latest hit single "Hung Up" while sporting an illuminated white cape with "Dancing Queen" embroidered on the back.

Billboard magazine has forecast ticket sales could reach the $200 million range, making it the most successful tour by a female artist. Cher holds the record with $192.5 million from 273 shows on a "farewell" world tour that began in June 2002 and lasted almost three years, according to Billboard.

Madonna, on the other hand, is scheduled to play fewer than 60 dates on this tour. Similarly, her $125 million-grossing Re-Invention tour in 2004 and the $75 million Drowned trek in 2001 were also relatively brief.

What catapults her to the top of the leagues is her ticket price, topping out at $380 (including Ticketmaster fees) in most U.S. venues. However, it did not stop her from adding dates to accommodate demand.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Self crucifiction is so yesterdays new.

Mabey it was shocking in the 1950's but today it's kind of lame.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

Later on, she donned a crown of thorns and suspended herself from a giant mirrored cross to deliver the ballad "Live to Tell." Video screens showed images of third-world poverty and reeled off grim statistics.

During one of her half-dozen costume changes, another video montage juxtaposed images of Bush, members of his administration and British Prime Minister Tony Blair with footage of Adolf Hitler, Osama bin Laden, and Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe. Midway through the new song "I Love New York," she deviated from the script and made a crude reference to Bush and oral sex.

ok, well she's obviously trying to make a point, one that we've heard many times from pop stars, but the part i find most offensive in light of that, is the ticket prices! "ooh end third world poverty, but don't give them your money, come and see me strutting about on stage in a variety of fancy costumes!..." $380?!?!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well NOn, look at the amazing hypocritical life she lives. Supposedly she has embraced the Kabbalah, encourages people to not focus on worldly possessions and focus on helping/saving one another and yet I don't see her in any 3rd world country helping out, or giving up her homes around the world or even giving a portion of the concert proceeds to charity.

I have no respect for her. She does things for shock value, not from a place of conviction...she always has.

She is just taking it to an all new hypocritcal high...and according to the article it seems her showmanship and connection to "the people" is lacking...alot.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
Nothing madonna could do would shock me anymore.

surely everyone else thinks the same?

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Gay icon Rosie O'Donnell, who upgraded herself to a premium seat on the floor and left her spouse alone in the stands.

Ooof what a horrible woman.

Madonna, omg Im tierd of this woman now (as you allready know lol). I like her album confesions of a dance floor, on its own it would have stood up as a fine album (even tho some of the lyrics are abit crap...'when im not in new york I feel like a dork...' oh dear maddonna, you can write better things than that surly. If you hear the songs 'Sorry' and 'Push Me' you would think shes done it again, shes thought of a meaningful song, done really well with it, cant wait to see the video I bet itle be really good...but no. Its all disposable and completly transparent and bland because of this dam 'gay thing' shes done with it.

I just hate the fact that shes aimed the entire thing at the gay audiance just for extra sales, not because shes giving her fans what they want, come off it woman, and this crucifix thing has just shown us all what an ego she's gotten. Im telling you shes getting worse as she gets older.

Have you seen her videos for the singles on the album (confesions), they are ALL just excuses for her to wear that horrible leotard, lie on her back, spread her legs, show of how many crotch thrusts she can do whilst showing her camel toe, and getting off with 20 year old black studs.

Shes just mutton dressed as lamb, she has been for a long time.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol at Brit_Joe

Someone needed to say it, and I'm glad you did. smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
No really Brit_Joe, tell us how you really feel.
wink

Couldn't agree more.

Dokskell, there are alot of teeny boppers out there who are not versed in the Madonna antics of yesteryear. She seems to wait between albums just long enough to hit the current teen demo who haven't really be exposed to her lots.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

No really Brit_Joe, tell us how you really feel.
wink

Couldn't agree more.

Dokskell, there are alot of teeny boppers out there who are not versed in the Madonna antics of yesteryear. She seems to wait between albums just long enough to hit the current teen demo who haven't really be exposed to her lots.

I think you mean to say "who she hasn't exposed herself to lots."

Seriously, I tried to think of things to say to justify keeping this from being moved to chat, but i just can't. I suppose all I can say is that since this is America, she has the right to make a fool of herself all she wants, and to charge lots of money for people to watch. I'm just glad she's not getting public funding for it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Madonna launched her first world tour in two years Sunday, delighting an enthusiastic Los Angeles crowd by hanging herself from a cross, insulting President George W. Bush, and dusting off some of the sexy moves that have sustained her career for more than 20 years.

Madonna is driven. It sounds like a great tour, pity she isn't coming to Australia.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
3 to 1 this thread goes down in flames like the last Madonna one...

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Madonna going down in flames?

I'd pay $380 to see that...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Seconded! ubblol

I wonder when she sold her dignity for profit... Maybe someone could tell me, cos I don't pay that much attention to her. (Or most of the industry, for that matter)

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I've been listening to Madonna since she came out in about 1995, not by choice mind you, it's just that she's impossible to avoid ( like Micheal Jackson ) It was about 1990 when she started this "controversial" thing with trying to bring sm/kink into the mainstream. ( Justify My Love,,that book, Sex...)

I wonder how many farewell tours she's going to have?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I think she's choosing her target markets artfully. This thread is virtually living proof smile

I dont think she's ever really claimed to stand for anything except being controvertial. And shes's being consistant.

There are plenty of other huge pop/rock/opera stars that do nothing with their exposure. If she's willing to stand up on stage and call a shovel a shovel. More power to her.

As for the topic, and the cross

ubblol

Who cares... really... she's an entertainer/actor/performer, first and foremost. And her fans love it.

Pele, i appreciate what your saying, but just because someone isnt on the headlines for donating money and selling houses doesnt mean they arent doing it. And if she did, would it stop people b!tching, i doubt it, just look at angelina jolie... In fact, it often seems to me that the only reason alot of big spenders do charitable works is for publicity and tax breaks.

Love is the law.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
never as many as John Farnham, i dont think its possible to beat him.

(aussie joke/dont worry)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Heck, I remember seeing Marilyn Manson in concert a decade ago, and he crucified himself on a cross made of televisions. At least that was creative. But I don't remember a big uproar then, either. It was half socio-political message and half shock value. Either way, it's a tempest in a teacup.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Prometheus

Heck, I remember seeing Marilyn Manson in concert a decade ago, and he crucified himself on a cross made of televisions. At least that was creative. But I don't remember a big uproar then, either. It was half socio-political message and half shock value. Either way, it's a tempest in a teacup.

that's probably because marilyn manson is surrounded by controversy, people just didn't notice that extra thing biggrin i read his autobiography actually, it's quite fascinating and ever so pretentious....

I don't really know what to say about Madonna anymore though, it doesn't seem to me like she's doing anything original enough to be really shocking, or to be worth the price of the ticket. You can only hope that some of her fans will be so moved by the idea of people living in poverty (without the priviledges of being able to buy the latest diamante madonna tour t-shirt...poor sods...), that they will rush out and do something with what little money they might have left over.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I'm just wondering how she gets away with charging £80 - £150 for her tickets (customer demand - that's how) She milks the fact that she's an icon and people WILL pay money for it. I remember when people were bidding £1000 for her one-off Brixton gig!

Even U2 with their bombastic Golden Arch/PopMart Screen/Disco Mirrorball Lemon only charged £30 for their tickets when I went to see them! And it was money well spent!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Madonna is an experiment in marketting. Nothing more.

I just cant believe that she thinks she can be cool again because she got Jacques Lu Cont to produce a few tracks for her.

You cant just borrow 'cool' from people. (although most people in marketting seem to think that you can)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It's more than a few tracks - Jacques Lu Cont's produced her entire album. Where are her previous DJ Producers now - William Orbit and Mirwais?
I do like her albums but its more down to their contributions than hers. Be careful Mr Lu Cont/Price, they are destined to linger in limbo when she inevitably drops them for the latest rising star (or go back underground, where they actually feel more comfortable)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

1,643 posts

Posted:
Madonna was defending herself and her stunt in the papers today: apparently it was to get her fans to donate more money to Aids charities... and she said she thinks jesus wouldn't be offended...

dearie be, if you want a job done properly, get Bono to do it for you...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Why doesn't she donate at least half of what she's charging for her tickets for charity whilst letting her fans know what they're paying for? It's not as if she needs the money.

We've already seen that they are willing to pay that amount for the tickets alone. I'd say £40 would be reasonable price for a concert ticket... The rest is just grand larceny!

With Bono, at least he's upfront about the Faustian bargain he's entering into in the vain hope that SOMETHING good would come out of it.

The 'I hate losing' line was refreshingly honest

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I have to say I do agree with some of what's been said about M on this thread. Which is surprising, since I've been a fan of hers for most of my life. I was immediately hooked at the age of 14 when her first album came out (with "Holiday," "Lucky Star," and "Borderline" on it -- her first hits) and I'm 37 now and still consider myself a fan, though I don't really listen to anything she's done since "Music" in 2000.

I had always hoped (though I knew it was wishful thinking on my part) that she would have the sense to bow out gracefully and know when it was over --- thereby securing her legacy rather than tainting it with desperate attempts to hold onto past glories. Alas, it appears that's not the way it's going.

But her past was indeed glorious. In the '80's when she first came out with her whole boy-toy rosary wearing Catholic girl gone bad shtick -- I tell you to me, as a 14 year-old gay boy being raised Catholic in suburban New Jersey in the middle of the Reagan/Bush era -- she was a revelation. She's had a staying power that has far surpassed most of her contemporaries from the '80's. Prince is a notable exception. That's more than just good marketing.

And, imo, her best songs rank amongst the best pop songs ever. A lot of that is due to her producers, but not all. For better or worse, she has had a significant impact on pop music and pop culture in general.

I won't be seeing this tour -- but I did see her last one which was marvelous. Her latest album is alright but I find the videos unwatchable (and I've always loved her videos) and that leotard is embarassing (though I hope I'm in as good shape as she is when I'm her age -- and I'm closer to her age than most of you, I'd wager) and the self-crucifixion...whatever. Though the mirrored cross sounds like a pretty cool image. So while her shtick may be tired, it doesn't erase the tremendous pleasure and yes -- inspiration -- her music and career have brought me for most of my life. Love her or hate her, but I don't think her contributions to pop music and pop culture can or should be simply dismissed out of hand.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
A music magazine said recently that the music video might not be round or much longer. And apparently the best indication is that they started out with nearly naked girls dancing and cheap stuff like filming bands on stages, then went through a stage where they cost millions and millions and were like little movies (Meat Loaf comes to mind), and now have reached the nearly naked girls stage again.

Madonna's doing the same, so maybe it means she's completed the circle, too. Since I don't believe for a minute she's going to stop any time soon, does that mean she'll get back to her best times in the late 80s/early 90s? Can only be hoped!!

However I think the crucification bit is just bad. It's insulting to a lot of people, if she cares or not, and it's just not brave and provocative because so many people have provoked reactions with Christian symbols. Now if she'd have done something along the lines of the Mohammed caricatures that would at least be brave (if very stupid and just as insulting, for all of those who think I actually support taking the p!ss out of any religion: I don't!!), but then you don't really want to get a reaction from people who might act on it, do you?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half