Page:
tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
it seems staff twirling has evolved into three main categories

Contact staff ,
Staff twirling/firedancing,
Staff juggling(rubber heart style)

Would people agree with this observation?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
oh i know not to believe everything seye says lol

and you may feel more power with the darkside but the jedi path is ultimately more fruitful lol

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

i never have been a fan of fruit........ well apart from bananas perhaps smile

ubbloco

You know - i think i know your father wink ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

Written by: mcp

Written by: coleman

doubles fishtail isolations still make me smile though.
cole. x

confused

would be wiggly...

define wiggly please - the term doesn't apply to poi so i'm not sure what it means...?
cole. x

What I meant to say is wriggle-y as in, it would require muchos wriggly arm movement to get the isolation, and in split time that arm motion would be out of time, hence, wriggley.

I think you should make a wriggley poi move. I've already learned heisenbergs so there's not much left for me now... biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

ubblol

i never have been a fan of fruit........ well apart from bananas perhaps smile

ubbloco

You know - i think i know your father wink ubblol

u need them vitamins in ur diet lol

mango's the king of fruit, get some of them down ya and see your staffing skills rocket

oh and does someone have a vid of double fishtail isolations they sound mental ubbloco

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

most spinny spinny stuff has already been talked about

After you've got the basics, there not much left to learn

eek

What makes either of you say that?

How can you be so arrogant to assume that you already know of everything that can be done with a staff in your hand?

i'm boggled, really i am. Perhaps you're joking... you must be joking... You're not joking?

well, i could start going on about .5 petal flowers, and pentagon/pentagram fig 8 patterns that make five pointed stars. But then you'd be like "well, thats two more things, but there's nothing else you can do." just like miss mcp does EVERY TIME i show her a new spinning move. So i'm not going to bother.

Get out of my pram. I'll shortly be throwing my teddy out after you tongue wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

most spinny spinny stuff has already been talked about

eek

How can you be so arrogant to assume that you already know of everything that can be done with a staff in your hand?

I didnt say i knew it dude - i just said most spinny stuff has been talked about wink

I would never assume i know everything - i mean, if i did, i wouldnt be here would i and i wouldnt be looking forward to tapping your brain for more confusing things at play.......... smile

Now shift your ass over and let me back in the pram, oh and dont throw that teddy out or ill cry, its my favorite wink

cool

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I think I'm going to start doing contact teddy cos there is sod all else you can do with them wink

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

well, i could start going on about .5 petal flowers, and pentagon/pentagram fig 8 patterns that make five pointed stars. But then you'd be like "well, thats two more things, but there's nothing else you can do." just like miss mcp does EVERY TIME i show her a new spinning move. So i'm not going to bother.

Didn't say that either. All the stuff that exists NOW is EASY is what I'm saying. EASY. And yes, I could watch a dorky london guy go through interesting transitions and explore combo's of it on video, but that doesn't make it any less EASY.

I've taught classes in which I've taught people all I know about spinning, and FORCED them to learn it. And they have.

I can't say the same about contact staff. (I've forced, but it's not that easy to learn contact.)

so what I'm saying is: SPINNING = EASY.
interesting transitions, combo's body movement and dance + SPINNING = HARD.

And you know what about all this stuff you just said? Once I figure it out, ( wink ) I'll learn it in about an hour. that's why I called it: EASY. And I'll be able to do loads of them till it's really smooth. Show me the person that learns to do the matrix continuously in an hour. Cos I will hug them. And then eat them for their skillz.

and what's more, I'd find both cont matrixes and five pointed stars GAY AND DULL if they weren't done with dance and movement. So NAH.

well, after seeing them once I would. tongue

maybe old school TECHNICAL STAFF !!SPINNERS!! should post what NEW MOVES they are orking on in the NEW MOVES THREAD or in a SEPERATE thread, so we could all go OH and AH over them, and then OLD SCHOOL STAFF SPINNERS wouldn't get their KNICKERS in a TWIST over threads being filled with CONTACT NONSENSE. Because BLATENTLY they are coming up with new THINGS and not telling ANYONE.

ubblol ubbangel

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol

uberarrogance kicks arse!

the problem here is that one object is blatently not enough to keep your gargantuan minds occupied.

if you insist on restricting yourself to just one object, you have to resort to funky manipulation, dance or bodyrolls.

simon has chosen the first, meg has chosen the last.

i like to watch both but find it amusing that, like me, neither of them can do the second.

as a bit of friendly advice, if you want more scope from the spinning side of things either add another stick or better yet, get yourself some one-ended flexi sticks and swing them around instead.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I can dance. Just not with sticks. yet.

Coleman:
"get yourself some one-ended flexi sticks and swing them around instead."

that already sounds like it's for GIRLS. Or in your case: Giant Girly Men.

And hell why restrict yourself to one object and not dance? When you can not dance with 3 through to 10? right? wink

get with the orking on stuff, the lot of you.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ubblol

spinny single staff == shrug
contact staff == bounce2
matrix == censoreding gay
doubles spinny staff == biggrin
doubles contact == ubbidea ubbrollsmile eek ubblove
triples contact staff == spank kyle
triples spinny staff == umm ubblol ubbloco ubblove
four stick spinny staff == silly
four stick contact == buddha

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday Ben-Ja-Men! hug hug hug biggrin

nice post too... : ubblol

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:

the fact that you seperate these things says alot

you have have a staff in your hand and you move with it

and in terms of dancing with things, i really really want a pair of fire fans, i think i could do some beautiful things

anyone wanna give me a pair lol i dont have the hundred quid spare ubbloco

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
But wherin I ask does come the pose?????

for without the pose and the pointed toes then all is for naught.

You make me want to cover myself in snot.

The ways of the foolish spinner who goes for the tricks. When all you should be striving for is sexiness the pulls chicks.

The forthcoming lab video shall show you the way, of how to pose move and manipulate and be really really gay.

wow I'm beautiful

and simain you need to come to edinburgh to play same goes for you cole

Viva UGLY STAFF

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, what about the uglyness? It's all about being ugly. (only on the outside)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simta

the fact that your membership number is above 30000 says a lot to me.

but mostly it says that you can't seperate the two which says to me: you = HIPPY

3,149 posts

Posted:
Well, i'd agree that the seperation of 'spinning' and 'interesting transitions' is certainly a most interesting and telling one.

It seems your definition of the verb 'to spin' includes the clause: "is easy and boring" and anything which falls outside of that is therefore not spinning.

qf:
 Written by: Her Megness

There are some interesting ... isolations and anti-spin stuff, but that isn't 'normal'

and i'm no hippy. Tried it once, but long hair needs too much looking after.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:

Written by: simta

the fact that your membership number is above 30000 says a lot to me.

but mostly it says that you can't seperate the two which says to me: you = HIPPY

yup my membership number is above 30000 so it means theres been 30000 alot cooler people than me register here and now ive gone n spoilt everything, im sorry mcpredface

why seperate things unnecessarily? thats all i think
EDITED_BY: simta (1150292953)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

Well, i'd agree that the seperation of 'spinning' and 'interesting transitions' is certainly a most interesting and telling one.

It seems your definition of the verb 'to spin' includes the clause: "is easy and boring" and anything which falls outside of that is therefore not spinning.

qf:
 Written by: Her Megness

There are some interesting ... isolations and anti-spin stuff, but that isn't 'normal'

and i'm no hippy. Tried it once, but long hair needs too much looking after.

I think you'll find 'proper' hippies don't look after their long hair, which is one cause of dreadlocks.

anti-spin could be argued to be an extended sort of transition. And syntactically, it's definately not spinning... wink

spinning is easy and boring.

oh wait, did I just say that again? Whoops. Must be because you still haven't come up with a good argument against it. biggrin wink

It's going to be quite a nut to make a distinction between the spinning bit of spinning in general isn't it? Of course spinning is interesting! If you mean spinning in general, in which case it includes everything, dance, contact and throws.

and yes this applies to only one staff. I'm not talking about two.

It's like going up to a rope dart person and saying: Just do the spinny bit! They're going to get pissed off that they can't do any wraps or strikes. And then saying it's exactly the same as poi.

I'm not saying that, I'm talking about one staff.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
mcp
very well put.personally i like running about like a madman while spining my staff,as for hard stuff RHD's 3 staff shower has taken me since the bjc in perth til now to learn and its still not performance ready........................

please can you help me get to uber europe please,marcus gave me his email addres but i cant read it! mad

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Markus is part of:

https://www.fenfire.at/contact.htm

I myself have no idea when or where ubeurope is. biggrin even thou I'm teaching at it. I ought to find out at some point... eek

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
kyle does kick ass on contact does any1 know if he has any videos online to download?

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: megatron

t's like going up to a rope dart person and saying: Just do the spinny bit! They're going to get pissed off that they can't do any wraps or strikes. And then saying it's exactly the same as poi.

i'm sorry, what is exactly like that? confused Is the heat getting to you?

As for your definition confusion, here's mine:

spinning = manipulation of a cylinder held in the hand
contact = manipulation of a cylinder in contact with any part of the body other than the palm
throws = manipulation of a cylinder without touching it at all
shrug fairly straightforward innit?

Written by: Megidishu

anti-spin could be argued to be an extended sort of transition

and this means..? umm

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
**gets popcorn out of oven**

Go simian ubbrollsmile

Megatron....... brilliant!!

ubblol ubblol ubblol

I preferd optimus prime myself, the one toy i always wanted and never got.......

well until my 26th birthday mind, for old times sake apparently (thanks mum) ubblol

**back to debate**

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well, it's just spinning while waving your arm around ain't it? So I guess it isn't so much like transitions and more like dance.

"spinning = manipulation of a cylinder held in the hand"

good we are on the same page then. Single staff.

And yet: still no arguments against spinning = easy... la la la...

3,149 posts

Posted:
So if i move my arm then it's dance which is independent of the spinning??? errrmmmm... not even gonna bother with that. Geez, think of a better argument girl. i mean maybe it wouldn't be such an utterly ridiculous point if the hand movements for anti were even vaguely similar, but they're not, as you well know.

And easy is an utterly subjective term isn't it shrug i can't argue with your subjective view, i can only tell you that its WRONG

Why? *rummages in a hat*

Well, reason #432 is: Because props aren't determinent of the difficulty of what you do with them. You are.

3,149 posts

Posted:
and please could you could tell me what a transition is. cos i've no idea how to do one.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
well its when you turn the big truck - into a robot - duh biggrin

3,149 posts

Posted:
oh, those. Yeah i do them. But i often get stuck at the bit where my wheels fold in...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No I think some implements are inherently more difficult to manipulate than others. Moreover, I think that some ways of manipulating are inherently harder than others.

So juggling with clubs is harder than juggling with balls. Because clubs have an extra dimension to their being juggled: spin.
and Contact juggling with one ball is harder than juggling with one ball.

You can make juggling with one ball as hard as you like, but if you then tried to do a similar thing while 'contact' juggling it, I think it would be harder.

Still haven't found a staff spinny move I couldn't learn in an hour. That might be subjective, but it's also TRUE. And I think it's true for you too.

Really is the anti-spin hand movement sooo different from like a reverse double spin?

Page: