Page:
tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
it seems staff twirling has evolved into three main categories

Contact staff ,
Staff twirling/firedancing,
Staff juggling(rubber heart style)

Would people agree with this observation?

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
go for it

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
thanks mcp
hopefully see you there
tim

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Does anybody know why strugz is mooning T&B? eek

call me jelous ubbangel

having to work when the sun is shining is just wrong especially sat here reading new ideas to try.........

but hey i guess i shouldnt let it get to me as PLAY is is comming juggle ubbrollsmile juggle

bounce

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
sebastien is here! Rock! (from fenfire)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simta

yeh i reckon they should thrown it down at play and battle it out hiphop style so each person get like 5 mins each 2/3 rounds and the winner is judged by crowd reaction lol

yeah, but simian has to do contact, and I have to do spinning... ubbloco

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

and the winner is judged by crowd reaction

the one who gets the most confused looks? if so, i've got it in the bag biggrin

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
this website does not recognise jason garfield.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"jason garfield"
Who? confused

"viiiiiiiiiiiiiiideomeoooooo ooooor"
Huh? confused

"go for it "
Wha? confused

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:

yeh i reckon they should thrown it down at play and battle it out hiphop style so each person get like 5 mins each 2/3 rounds and the winner is judged by crowd reaction lol

yeah, but simian has to do contact, and I have to do spinning... ubbloco

ohhhh i think thats fair, what do u reckon simian? eek

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
jason garfeild is very good juggler but a first class muppet if you ask me,he slags people off for fire juggling saying it is easy.i would love to see him do his five club routine at night with fire clubs..........not a chance in hell he would make it,
also if the garfield quote is a cheap shot at firestaff jugglers well the sticks he refers to are an old juggling prop very similar to a small thin juggling club and not evenly balaned long fire staffs such as annti uses

mcp is mastering a prop impossible?surely victor kee is a master of ball juggling as ronaldinio is a master of keepie uppies?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
But anthony gatto is surely better at some things than victor kees? So for victor kees to be a master he would have to be better than anybody at everything surely? And for anthony gatto to be a master he would have to be the same. He would also have to have mastered all the tricks nobody has invented yet.

Of course you could start qualifying the mastery that victor kees has. But then it's not the hardcore definition of mastery simian and me seem to have settled on.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"i would love to see him do his five club routine at night with fire clubs..........not a chance in hell he would make it"

I have absolutly no disbelief that Mr Garfield would be able to do it. He would practice until he could do it without dropping before he showed anyone though.

shrug

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
ucof my point exactly fire juggling is harder
mcp.................your right as usual
but victor will always be a master in my eyes.............................................he's my hero juggle

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
https://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm
a link to some amazing drawings

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I've totally won this argument with simian... tongue tongue

Can we discuss style of contact now? And styles of spinning? That would be more interesting... And styles of spinning on the ground, and styles of throws, and styles of geeky ugly spinning...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
those with stlye meg - dont need to talk about it wink

ubbloco

ubblol

whoop whoop - im off to PLAY ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
don't be a retard strugz. wink If there's ever to be any interesting discussion here in the staff forum, somebody has to start it... generally a total noob. But I was trying to break that trend. eek

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
oh yeh.....

my apologies, i never was any good at interesting discussion, but on a side note funny you should call me a retard as on one of my projects im running at the moment i am working with a guy named:

Geofrey Tard

ubblol

Unbelievable parents ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that's harsh!

We have a guy here who's changed his last name from elcock to williams. Understandable.

for offtopicness.

don't talk about your style then strugz... talk about the different styles you know / have seen...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ok - getting on topic for a second:

as far as styles go, i personnaly believe that every spinner does have there own style - but it is not something that is distingtive until they start putting moves together.

I think this is because most things you learn - you learn static. Its when you start "moving" that your style develops.

I have spent alot of time studying contact staff over the years and it certanly has styles of sorts.... seporate from stand alone moves.

I feel that my style of staffing is very much based around "line, body movement" if im doing a "performing spin" then all of my movement follows that line to ensure the crowd see what i want them too.

This i find neatens up planes of contact and spinning alltogether.

However when practicing or playing i tend to loose this style and go for a more 360 random plane type approch, this is more for my own exploration of moves.

Once ive found things that work - then i try to adopt them to the performance style that i like to show off smile

make sense?

I may have just blabberd bullsh1te - but you pulled it out of me ubbloco

So i guess what im saying i dont think styles are seporate sections of moves at all - i think they are a way you spin:

A - for yourself
B - for your surroundings
C - for the limits your body naturaly puts in place.

Now stop me making discussion, i liked being silly wink

biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You're lucky, you get to go to play today or tomorrow or whatever, I get to go on friday night, so I have a week of work and boredom that I need an interesting discussion to think about...

I think everybody has their own style, but some people have more 'style' than others.. biggrin

I think you can develop a style based on what movements you do, or a style based on movement, on a style based on well both. Maybe on other things too I don't know. I know I use the steve as a base move usually, doing one to pass to my otherhand or if I can't think of anything better, and sometimes trying to work other tricks in and out of it. I also usually never do any non symmetric movements if I can help it, and If I can't I like to balance it out by doing the other direction version. I might have a style of movement, but I don't know, I don't film myself spinning that much.. wink

I almost never disregard planes. if I'm practising, I might use a crappy plane to aid my learning, but try and straighten it out. I don't generally just decide to keep going if my planes go to [censored]. I usually correct them. or curse.

planes while performing then aren't an issue. thou style while performing vs style while spinning for pleasure is a good debate in itself.

I would generally be the opposite. I know the audience generally doesn't give a todgers about planes so I can basically do whatever looks cool or will make them go OoooooOOooo. It's still dependent on what I want them to see, but sometimes I want them to see an atomic pattern, and sometimes I just want to do an outrageously long contact movement going through various planes.

thou for performance, and movement in general I really want to get a mindset whereby I thik about the circles the staff is making around me, combined with my body movement, rather than tricks on their own or movement on its own or circles on their own. I don't generally think about the circles at all.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:

I might have a style of movement, but I don't know, I don't film myself spinning that much.. wink

you got style m8 - even without a stick in your hand, id thank your bitchin attitude and your quality hair for that smile

As for performance planes - id tend to agree that the audiance hasnt got a clue about a good or bad plane - what i try and put across to thwem is what i would like to see myself.......

I hate (actually thats too strong a word but.......) watching a spinner in the flow and you just think to yourself - turn round a bit, so i can see the patterns in all its glory smile

I guess i picked that attitude long ago from taking lots of fire photos - im my mind i know what looks good, so i guess ive carried that on.

As for spinning circles - haha, that is something ive long forgotten too - im very much interested in the shapes you make with a striaght edge and your body - circels are part of the pattern you can form, but by using off centre grips and isolated arm movements the patters you can make qwith a stick are endless.

Its funny, talking like this i realise how much i love staff...... i want to go outside and play now smile

Thanks for making me talk / think about what i do Meg, its usually something i just laugh about and dont take that seriously smile

(from a discussion point a view anyway)

Hopefully someone will jump in here when i leave tonight to relieve your boredom till friday!

Did you realise we will have:

MCP

T&B

Bluecat

Sandy

Meast

Imakode

Strugz

Simian

Chronofracture

Mynci

(and many more)

all in one place ubblove

oh and i have a bucket load of video cameras , seeing as you dont do much filming of yourself eh wink

ubbrollsmile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

I hate (actually thats too strong a word but.......) watching a spinner in the flow and you just think to yourself - turn round a bit, so i can see the patterns in all its glory smile

That's what hecklin' for! wink use your voice, or alternatively, your FEET! wink

when I'm 'flowing' (gay) I don't give a censored about what the audience thinks or where they are. All that concerns me is generally creating a nice 'melody' of tricks and movement. (flowery hippy stuff, I know tongue )

censored! All those people are going to be there! Holy censored censored! This is bigger than 9/11! ubbloco

and like, hair wtf.. that's not a style dude... and I have a hat now... yay!

thinking is the best part of staff I think, apart from the non thinking bit... smile
EDITED_BY: mcp (1150816186)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
3 styles of staff = good, bad and ugly wink

strugz...dude you are all 3 ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Dude that was actually funny ubblol

ubbrollsmile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
thanks...I think ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

I've totally won this argument with simian... tongue tongue

What?!?!? On what planet???

Is that because of your incredible killing blow:

Written by: meggano

There are degrees of infinity. Real infinity and Integer infinity. If you could count to the 'end' of infinity, it would take you longer to count to the end of Real infinity, than integer infinity. That's how I can compare 'mastery' of spinning and contact. (and I'll bet you can guess which way round my analogy is.)

confused2

Do you have ANYTHING to back that up?

No. You don't. tongue

and the council is going to send you a fixed penalty notice for fly-tipping because of all the RUBBISH coming out of your MOUTH tongue spank tongue

As for spinning circles - haha, that is something ive long forgotten too - im very much interested in the shapes you make with a striaght edge and your body - circels are part of the pattern you can form, but by using off centre grips and isolated arm movements the patters you can make qwith a stick are endless.

see. endless. Some people get what i'm talking about...

On an entirely seperate note:

Style = Specialization?

Does style naturally develop as a result of what you don't learn, as much as what you do?

And yes, i'm bounce very bounce excited bounce about bounce play smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Is that because of your incredible killing blow:
 Written by: meggano

There are degrees of infinity. Real infinity and Integer infinity. If you could count to the 'end' of infinity, it would take you longer to count to the end of Real infinity, than integer infinity. That's how I can compare 'mastery' of spinning and contact. (and I'll bet you can guess which way round my analogy is.)

confused2

Do you have ANYTHING to back that up?

No. You don't. tongue

well, I obviously gave you too much credit. It's all thanks to Mr Cantor, and set theory. Thou the diagonals way of explaining it made most sense to me. but if you'd have thought about it for like ONE second, you would have discovered that you can fit the entirity of the integers inbetween 0 and 1, thanks to decimal places...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleph-null
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor%27s_diagonal_argument

so yes indeed, there is infinity, and then there is INFINITY! :P

simian = teh lose.

Jesus, it's getting a bit crap when I have to be the clever one. I mean really!

endless : as for your other argument... Ah falling back onto dance and movement. Got bored of your easy spinning moves again? ubblol

----

"Does style naturally develop as a result of what you don't learn, as much as what you do? "

rather: what you don't Do, as much as what you do... rather than learn I would say. Thou in terms of movement, you can usually tell when someone has studied a martial art, as their style betrays them. I haven't seen enough dancers to say the same of dance.

Plus with most people they stop at the learning phase. and never get to the point where's they've learnt enough to develop a style. (IMO)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you two aren't arguing about anything any more.

you've descended into just spouting random crap about how rubbish the other's opinions are ubblol

it was obvious from the beginning that youn were both wrong but it was funny back then.

its beginning to hurt my teeth watching you trying to bolster your weak cases over and over with little more than abunch of rhetoric.

personally, i agree with strugz smile

Geofrey Tard

at least they didn't name him leo... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:

Did you realise we will have:

MCP
T&B
Bluecat
Sandy
Meast
Imakode
Strugz
Simian
Chronofracture
Mynci

(and many more)

all in one place ubblove

eek
holy funking sex!!!

this is gonna be staff heaven and more

ubblove

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Page: