Forums > Social Discussion > Whats on the PLAY 2005 DVD?

Login/Join to Participate

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Thought id post this here rather than the video forum, but for those of you that may ant to know what weve done with all that PLAY footage.

smile

Ok people listen up!

I know a lot of you enjoyed PLAY festival last year so much!, you all may have forgotten, but I haven’t, I have been sat watching all your faces for the last 6 months!

Admittedly the DVD has taken slightly longer to get out thank planned, but hey its been produced by a few spinners / jugglers and we all know how reliable and prompt they can be right!

The original plan for the DVD was a lot different to how the final result has turned out, this was our first attempt at doing something a little bit different, not just showing off all of the talents and skills which were there but trying to capture the vibe and relaxed fun atmosphere that the festival has.

The whole thing has been produced by myself and 2bags, we have spent a serious amount of hours playing with this lot over and over, about 15 full tapes I had to rip before we could even begin editing down it has been a massive project to take on considering neither of us had done anything like this before.

You may or may not know that the dvd is a 2 disc set containing about 3hrs worth of PLAY festivities! So here is what is on them:

Disc 1: The Festival

Play Days

This is the main feature on this disc and contains about 8 chapters, its a lot of random footage and photographs edited together to give you an idea of what went on over the 3 days. You will see many familiar faces and a huge variety of toys.

Workshops

This is a short video produced using all of the workshop footage shot, it’s a generalization of the workshops that were being taught that weekend to give newcomers a view of what they can have the chance of learning.

Games

The games were run on the Saturday afternoon and include many different challenges all of which can be seen in this little cut together.

Cooking up Play

Whilst setting up play festival we sat lots of cameras around the site capturing all of the work that went into its preparation, this will give you an idea of the works carried out, not to mention a few laughs!

Exeunt

This is a little video produced using footage from the final night there after everyone else had gone home, it involves masses amounts of pizza, some baby poi and some tough guy performances by 2bags and Rossco who decide to take on the 15ft fire.

Durbs Interviews

This is a section edited together of all of the interviews Durbs carried out after the show on Saturday evening, it contains fire spinning and lots of familiar faces, some of which in a very questionable state!

Playboy

This is a video interview with Dunc Huxley – the main man behind PLAY Festival

Gallery

This is a 4minute scrolling gallery accompanied by the title tune and contains some of the pictures used in the videos and more!

Credits

This is a little video showing all the credits for disc 1 and its contents.

Hidden Bits disc 1

Strugz Van Dilemma

Disc 2: The Show Disc

Main Show
Pascal Jorn – Hiphop Hats
Bluecat – Contact
2bags – Tourist Busking Alien
DsAds – Devilstick
Durbs – Contact
Bluecat – Juggling
Dror – Hat Routine

Fire Show:
Pyroflow – Fire Wheelbarrows
Bluecat – Her Majesties Secret Service
Dror – Firespinners
Tepooka – Fire Fans
Tepooka – Fire Ropes
Carpe Ignem – Lisa & Cam
T&B – Uberstaff on Stilts
Pyroflow – Burning Bike of Dooom!

Hidden Bits Disc 2

The Pant Battle
Dunc Drops his Trousers
Bed of Nails & 6 poi
Dev Kev Session

With the show disc you have a choice of how to navigat through it – if you hit the “play all” function it will play the entire section of the show.

Skipping a chapter at and point will take you to the beginning of a routine or the beginning of Drors comparing before each act.

If you jus want to watch a certain act you can select it from the menu screen and it will play just that act before returning to the menu.

Other bits on disc 2

Performer contacts
Credits video for the entire festival
Sneaky peak at the upcoming Spherculism DVD.

Above all there is lots and lots to watch and find on this DVD and despite it not being quite what we had originally aimed for I think I can speak for all involved by saying we are happy with the end result and hope you are too.

Now that we have been through this whole learning process I think we can safely say that this years play will offer another dvd of a different kind, and hopefully before xmas too!

Please do post any comments you have as so much work and time has gone into this it would be nice to know what you all think,

Me personally, in this world of festivals and spinning ive never seen anything like it!

Take care and enjoy!

Strugz

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Posted nice comments on the SFS website...read em there cos i can't be arsed to write them again.
biggrin

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i know - i saw - thanks hug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Reminds me I really should send Dunc some money

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Shouldn't we all... ubblol

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
*Wonders if Mags is getting any royalties or has signed any release forms for allowing his image to go on a DVD cover (probably not the first time either... biggrin)*

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
royalties! ubblol

all he done was stood there (and did a sick ass trick, but thats a minor detail) - he should be honoured!! wink

if anyones getting any form of money from this - im first in line ubbloco

Not that that is going to happen as thats the whole point of this dvd - to generate money for the festival and only the festival - the more you put in - the better you make the festival - it really is that simple smile

hug

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
It is the first time, and I don't need to sign release forms, as I would happily donate a lot more than just my "image" to the wonderful Play folk.

Buy this DVD, it's sh*t hot and has lots of me in it. wink

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
is that the pic on the flier...

didn't mags say he just stood there balancing the staff saying

"take the photo take the photo" wink

ubblol

I'll buy it.. I need to see what I missed when I was drunk wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
looks absolutely wicked biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Cool, where do I get one of these newfangled DVD things? And how many shiney, shiney coins to I have to find to swap for it?

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Im not looking forward to my drunken interview frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I am biggrin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Now strugz..this is part where I find out if you've kept your promise you said you'd keep. Y'know...the one about not putting the bit in with me very sunstroked laying on my back looking like a silly with poi on my feet...
wink

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Well done for completing the dvd guys, i know EXACTLY what you've been going thru.

I have 3 full hard drives, 20 dv tapes, a laptop, pc blah blah all beavering away on my creation.

Wicked that you got the Sphercular Vision Trailer on there, that was a pretty tight deadline for me to get that to you.

Gutted i missed play 1 and i'm still in nz so i won't make play 2 either frown but i'll make it there one day.

Well done, look forward to seeing the final results,

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Brilliant work lads...

Well done and thanks for the memories...

Buy it!! It's things like this that keep our lovely community alive...

hug2

Getting to the other side smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
*Bumpety Bump*

Well - now that alot of you have seen it / got it...........

Im gutted i missed the premier on the sunday night at PLAY, i was out filming fire for the next one wink

so anyway, what do you think?

biggrin

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i think it should be easier to order from oz theres still no overseas postage option frown

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Maybe you should just come to PLAY next time Benjamen....or failing that come over and collect a copy....

Its a sh*t hot DVD....totally worth the airfare! ubbloco

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I didn't collect my pre-paid DVD from the stall as I didn't want to leave it in my tent which was doubling up as a tandori oven. Plus I heard on the gtapevine that they didn't have the list for those who had or hadn't paid already so I refrained. But am I right in thinking that any that have been ordered but not collected will be posted out to us soon?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Cool

Is there a link to the video that you can put in first post?

I'll order one, but only if i donthave to navigate away from this page wink

a

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

good enough

ubbloco

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

I didn't collect my pre-paid DVD from the stall as I didn't want to leave it in my tent which was doubling up as a tandori oven. Plus I heard on the gtapevine that they didn't have the list for those who had or hadn't paid already so I refrained. But am I right in thinking that any that have been ordered but not collected will be posted out to us soon?

I asked this on the Play forum but haven't got an answer yet. I didn't pick mine up either frown

Gayle.....!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
We had a list that was used for some collections but we think it got cleared away into the recycling by mistake one night. So then we took names of folks who wanted to collect presuming they were honest when saying they had pre-paid and built a new list from that. We tried to tell everyone they could still collect but I guess not everyone heard. Sorry!

All DVD's will be sent out early next week, please note that we're (I'm) mega busy sorting out the remains of play, the site wasn't clear until late wednesday afternoon and the rest of my time is dedicated to a family who've barely seen me for a month and then I have gig's and other things to do this weekend coming.

Hopefully by Monday they will all be in the post finding their way to you sometime really soon smile

If you haven't received a copy by Friday 30th June please let us know direct (ie by email or through the "contact us section" on www.playfestival.co.uk not where it might get lost in a forum not directly associated with PLAY Festival wink ) and we'll jump right on it.

I hope to have some normality in my life soon and plenty of time to dedicate to you lovelies to make sure you're all as happy as possible smile any problems, it's best to contact me direct as I don't check the HoP Forum or the PLAY Forum as regular as some of you guys do.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
from what i understand, all pre-paid and uncollected dvd's should be posted out. the list at the time was unavailable. just hang in there wink

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
So you should ALL be recieving your dvds this week! Woop woop!

Please do put any feedback here as im starting this yeas one already and would love some pointers of how to improve anything.........(not that it will be the same layout) but editing / length / style / variance..........

all comments muchly welcome - even good ones wink

biggrin biggrin biggrin

*dashes out door to catch plane to EJC*

ubbrollsmile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Maybe you should all add your feedback on the play web site, not here wink hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees