EdgesofTwilightBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
I'm going to be starting out with Poi. I've been doing some research and haven't decided which Poi I should start out with. What would you recoomend? Socks, cords, or chains?

Thanks,

Chris

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
there's thousands of threads on this here... but basically, go to a meet and try out some poi if you can and take the ones you're most comfy with.

I'd recommend socks to start with, they get untangled easily, they don't hurt quite as much and they're cheap smile

I'd say use the search function to get more opinions, but I guess if you enter "poi" it'll come up with a million threads so it's probably not much use for you smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

12 posts

Posted:
I tried a search for beginning/beginner poi and didn't get any results. I'm not aware of any meets in my are (Western NY).

Thanks!

-Chris

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
not sure about New York! Maybe ask some of the New York City people (NYC or Doc Lightning come to mind) if they know what's going on in the rest of the state? Or post in the "meet others" section smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

12 posts

Posted:
Well, I just received my corded fluffy poi with the double loop handle and Art of Poi & COL2 DVD. Man does Diane goo quick on that DVD. I watched the DVD all day yesterday and tried the forward spin today on lunch. I was able to spin, but my wrist didn't look anything like hers on the DVD. I managed to keep the poi relatively straight (nowhere near tangling) but they appeared to be canted (like the top was angled toward me and the bottom was angled away. If you were looking at me straight on it probably would have looked something similar to this / me \ . Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I hold the double loop on my index and ring fingers. When I try to keep my wrists down and fingers pointed straight and scoop air like she says, I hit the cord on the edge of my hand. Any suggestions? smile

Thanks,

Chris

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
You're doing this / you \

You should be doing this | you |

Do a search (not the google one) on 'planes' smile

12 posts

Posted:
I figured it should be straight. smile Thanks!

-Chris

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
try putting the loops the other way though your fingers, eg instead of poi handles going up from your fingers, have them going down
[Old link]
check above link for various ways that people hold/spin poi

Are you up for it?
wink;)

12 posts

Posted:
So the poi should hang from the palm side of my hand?