Forums > Social Chat > National Youth Week Photo Comp! Results!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Results!

https://youthweek.com/talent_comps/snapit_winners.html

smile

------------------------------------------------------------

https://youthweek.com/talent_comps/vav_snapit_snr.asp

Found out yesterday. Finalist in the senior category of the Snap It comp, not a big one, but just something for fun.

Photo features .:*Moon Pixie*:. and bec's younger cousin, Phoebe.

Yay aye? ubbangel

PS. I personally think the best entry is by someone in the 12-17 category:

https://youthweek.com/talent_comps/vav_snapit_jnr.asp#1

Rebekah Moore..

good shot. ubblove

EDITED_BY: Ry (1150412553)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I love HoP ubblove.. It's such an ego boost when you need one.. ubblol

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I also voted for the summer dreams one...its great. Reminds me of a lazy day at Byron on the grassy verge near the beach. biggrin

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
If the grass was an itty bit longer, it'd be just like at CG biggrin

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I thought that the picture of the two brothers had bad lighting. The fish had overall soft focus (and no wonder, with that f stop). The fire shot was mundane after everything on HoP's gallery. The rock and roll had shadows on the backdrop that made it look staged (althought it's my second favourite).

By simple process of elimination, yours is the best because it's techincally perfect. The colours are very vibrant, the background compliments the headdress, and I adore the lighting on the face. You're a shoe-in.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. actually I liked the one of the two brothers because I thought the lighting was good ubblol The more natural slightly desaturated look works for me.

Yeah the fish one wasn't in focus and the the fire one was a bit mundane. The girl with the guitar was a nice idea, but not executed very well technically (not to mention, I thought, was a very loose interpretation of the theme- 'smile').

My shot, I quite like it, but it's one of those shots that can be a bit impersonal- looks a bit like just another magazine shot..

I suspect the one of the brothers will sit well with older voters, while the guitar one might do well with people who go for that 'flavour'. Waiting til June 2nd to see how I go.

This one's just a small, fun prize being the people's choice award.. I'm aiming for the main award with a different shot, but.. I don't know what kind of chances I've got with that one (if any at all) shrug smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
post a link to the main award piccie please? (even if we can't vote!!)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

I sent in a nice big that one.. biggrin

Not sure how it'll do.. I've been staring at that pic too long.. a bit numb now. shrug

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Results tomorrow.. can't wait!! bounce

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
good luck sugar! hug biggrin bounce clap bounce

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
tell us tell us tell us!!! biggrin

(well, according to my HoP time it is tomorrow now, but maybe it isn't in Australia!!!! oops wink)
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1149154203)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
good luck mate

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
gah. Should have said 'voting closes tomorrow'.. Results on the 9th. frown

On the other hand, Brisbanites might be interested.. I've a couple of entries in the Qld Open Photographer of the Year 2006 held at Rydges Southbank this weekend (2nd to 4th June).

*waits for the 9th*

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Results:

Didn't get the big prize.. got the small prize.. does anyone want to buy a little digital camera? ubblol

https://youthweek.com/talent_comps/snapit_winners.html#1

Thanks everyone who did or didn't vote smile hug

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
well done!! biggrin biggrin hug

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yay! Even if it's "just" the small prize, another prize on your list smile And I'm sure your model will be happy, too!

By the way, I've entered an essay into a competition on the 1st of May, and checked the website to see when they'd let us know... it's AUGUST!!! At least they could send out "sorry, yours was really really bad and didn't even make the 2nd round" emails so I can stop wondering if anyone liked it ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Well done sugar! kiss

Also glad to see the summer dreams pic won aswell....loved that one! ubblove

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Lou: Thanks kitten! hug biggrin biggrin

Birg: mm.. might just keep it as a pocket toy if I don't find a buyer. And yup.. I wonder I guess it's another cut out for the scrap book eh?

Good luck for the essay competition! hug Sending you all the crossed digit pixies for some extra help too ubbangel Anywhere I might be able to take a peek at your essay?

Kels: Thanks miss.. hug Yeah.. the summer dreams one was a bit of a sure win though, for my money at least cool..

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
It should be on the internet somewhere, but I think the website's not updated yet... if you're sure you want to read it send me a pm with your email address!

It's boring and sciency though, and had to be written in no time at all because the deadline was the same day as out Beltane performance, and what with the whole practice and costum-making and splitting up with Sunbird and having friends over to see the show I nearly decided to scrap it.

And then, just after I'd submitted, they extended the deadline. Bugg3rs! ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
PM sent!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I actually didn't like the photo that won...
She said she edited it? On an image software programme I'm assuming?
Kinda defeats the whole point of photography to me..
An image should be left as it is, or have the type of editing where you can't tell it has been edited. Ry I thought your shot was fantastic, and feel it should have won!
hug

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Aimée, think you were looking at the wrong photo.. the one that won was the one above me.. the entry titled 'milkshake'. I thought it was alright, but not necessarily a competition winning shot.. same as what I thought of my own.

Don't tell anyone, but I think it won because it had thighs in it. ubblol

ubbangel

But yeah, the one that you're talking about she did mention she edited. You've got to understand that these days, editing is a vital part of digital photography. The big thing a few years ago was the concept of a 'digital darkroom'.

Lots of 'editing' goes on in a darkroom too you know.. dodging, burning, leaving it in developer a bit longer, exposing it for shorter a period of time.. You can give a lot of different looks to a photograph.

All the images I personally shoot are edited in some form. mainly shooting in RAW format (as in camera doesn't make any adjustments such as saturation, contrast, sharpness etc in the camera) I have to process the file to get the look I want. My workflow includes Photoshop CS2, ACDSee Pro, and occasionally Paintshop Pro (for certain specific adjustments to my black and white stuff).

Eitherway, she could have told you that's how it was straight out of the camera, and would you have known otherwise? I think it's about creating aesthetically appealing images.. the means are a non-issue. ubbangel

Thanks so much btw, very glad you liked my entry hug..

Page: