Forums > Social Discussion > Never too busy to be beautiful or "why do women shave?"

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
I have a wonderful book:
Non-Https Image Link

A tongue-in-cheek look at advertising directed at keeping women looking the way nature never intended.

And it made me think. Why do women shave their legs? Or armpits? OK. I know lots of women don't, and it's (I believe) predominately a western thing, with the exception of a few European countries.
But why is it meant to be asthetcially pleasing? At what stage did someone sit down and say, I know, while we're shortening skirts, let's make everyone think that women's legs should be unnaturally silken (have I just answered my own question with that word!?)

There is a bigger discussion here though. While women are being pushed to primp, polish, tweeze and pluck, what, historically are men still pushed to change about their appearance. (I'm not, at this stage, talking about body shape - ie skinny, or buff - that's a whole new thread!) Just why did no-one say...right, men should shave their arms as well as their faces? Or their armpits, or legs? confused

Or is it something that's changing? Men now do tweeze their eyebrowns more, and get their backs waxed...what is it about excess hair in these societies?! Why is it so frowned upon and considered unattractive?

A quick statement of intent here - this is not a feminest-orientated rant. I am just interested in why and what started the whol process. I need my bra, and am not ready to burn it.... smile

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
On another note, what do you all think of my pet hate, padded bras? Most people would laugh at a man who stuffs things in his pants to look bigger, but for girls it seems to have become a standard to pretend angry

(I know my mum's generation used to stuff tissues and socks and whatnot in their bras, so it's not a new thing... but I went shopping a while ago and was trying to find a bra that was neither padded nor granny-shaped and -coloured, and it wasn't all that easy!!)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I wear a padded bra in winter because I get cold, and a padded bra stops certain problems

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i wear one so that i have more support and my piercings are not showing

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Well I wear a padded codp......................

Never mind, that's just for the renaissance festival this week. redface biggrin

MyIngmember
26 posts

Posted:
I depilate my legs when I'm wearing a skirt or short. I really hate it, but in the summer or when I go to a swimming pool I do it. I shave my armpits as soon as I wear shirt where you can see them. In the winter I shave them ones in a week or something like that.

But it is true one of the most important reasons is my boyfriend. I don't mind if the hair of my armpits are two millimeter, before they get three I shave them any way, but now there is some one who sees me without a shirt and I hate it when I have hair on my armpits then.

About my legs I don't make such a problem, because I depilate them, it is more painful (so I hate it to do it) and it stays away longer. And cause of the fact my leg and arm hair is very blond, you cant really see it very good. But when I wear a skirt, yes I depilate it.
I just do'nt like it when any one can see it.

About the bra thin, in the beginning I had the same problem I couldn't find any bra that wasn't padded. I didn't like them, they didn't fit. But after a time I got used to them. And at school the remarks from boys stopped after I wearied padded bra's. It also gives me confidence. The difference is little but it is enough for me to have more confidence.

Live your life, the way you want to live it.
So have fun. And be happy sunny
Love you nantheos ubblove

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Myling: is that the thing that looks like an electric razor but pulls the hair out?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No Scruf!

biggrin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
looks like a pretty hairy situation, heh biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I tried out a new product recently... a bladeless razor... the first time it worked REALLY well, the second time was just a waste of my time trying to use it.

MyIngmember
26 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hanz

Myling: is that the thing that looks like an electric razor but pulls the hair out?

Jes it is

Live your life, the way you want to live it.
So have fun. And be happy sunny
Love you nantheos ubblove

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
ahh, I think mum uses one of those... does it cause any more pain than normal shaving? or does it hurt the same amount as waxing?

mairecnonnaSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Is shaving bad for you? Hair helps you sweat more efficiently ....... sweat gets rid of the waste and toxins......So If I shave where do the excess waste/ toxins go? Are they building up inside my body........
Someone in Paris, can't remember who now, said they remove hair by burning it off

Ladies and gentleman... we are floating in space!

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mairecnonna

Someone in Paris, can't remember who now, said they remove hair by burning it off

I'm pretty sure there are several people on this site who have found themselves trying this technique...... ubblol

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
So my secret's out then?

I like to keep my legs smooth and hair free by doing leg wraps with lit fire ropes while wearing shorts and BTL stalls keep my bikini line neat and trim. You get used to the smell, really. Scented lamp oil makes a fine moisturizer too. wink

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
at AV there were actually guys burning their leg hairs off with a lighter... thankfully I came in on the end of that.

mairecnonna : the same could be said for using deoderant, doesnt let sweat escape... where does that escape from? Probably just other parts of the body

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

So my secret's out then?

I like to keep my legs smooth and hair free by doing leg wraps with lit fire ropes while wearing shorts and BTL stalls keep my bikini line neat and trim. You get used to the smell, really. Scented lamp oil makes a fine moisturizer too. wink

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Official funniest thing I've read all day...

biggrin

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
it is either we like or we just can but I bet it started the same time when men and women wore makeup and high heels , then did it and we just stayed with it
EDITED_BY: KittyKill (1149550721)

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
back when women had short feet to be closer to the sink? (dont be offended!)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Oh so THAT'S what foot-binding was for! biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i thought that was just a myth. as in the "closer to the sink" part. the foot binding was real though.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*lightbulb*

oh.....

don't mind me. im not coherant tonight.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I dont mean the unnatural short feet, I mean women genetically having smaller feet than men... just the way women are naturally

Page: