BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Keep your fingers crossed... I've just basically been offered a job for when my PhD finishes, if things work out alright (like my supervisor asking the sponsors to delay the start of the new project until my PhD's finished).

That means I've got something like an offer nearly a year before I'm done! Well chuffed, and hoping it'll work out!

biggrin bounce

And it means I could stay in Edinburgh, with all the lovely spinners, and Beltane and all!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
*crosses fingers for you!*

That's great news...hope it all works out!

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I know you're studying a science, so what is job have you been offered when you complete the PhD? Academia or industrial?

Willy - is bad for your health...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Post-Doc smile and 3 years of it, so I'll definitely wait for the project to be finalised before I say yes or no, but I'm just in a real "yay" mood that I've already been asked!!!

It's industry-financed, by the same company that sponsors my PhD smile

And thanks for all finger-, to- and other-bodypart-crossing!!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
You deserve it and there's no one better smile Good luck

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Hey congrats, thats good news, at least takes the pressure off looking for a job when you are doing your PhD, it is similar to what happened to me, (though it was an industry job, starts in two weeks)

Shows they have confidence in you hug

hooray

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Post-Doc smile and 3 years of it, so I'll definitely wait for the project to be finalised before I say yes or no, but I'm just in a real "yay" mood that I've already been asked!!!

It's industry-financed, by the same company that sponsors my PhD smile

And thanks for all finger-, to- and other-bodypart-crossing!!

Fantastic! I hope to be as lucky when I'm job hunting! Several months ago I read commments by people on here saying doing a PhD isn't worth it, and finding a job straight after a first degree provides better employability, within industry at least. I'm not sure whether to do a PhD or not, but that's 2 years away, plenty of time to think about it after my Masters.

Willy - is bad for your health...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Cool!

Good luck Birgit smile

Love is the law.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Phwoar! Headhunted! Good one.

Best of luck Birg! hug

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks all again biggrin

Not sure what you're studying Lemonkey, but the New Scientist usually gives quite a good overview on what's going in science.

There used to be a gap in salaries between PhD and BSc/MSc that was worth going for a PhD, but apparently it's closing... but I think the most important thing is, if you don't enjoy (sometimes repetitive) labwork, DON'T go for the PhD. You have to actually be interested enough to do sometimes tedious work for 3 years, for not that much money (or worse, for enough money but not that much funding). So the other thing to check out if you think about a PhD is what your sponsors cover, and how much "consumables" money you get. That might make the difference between being able to do a good job or having to go for the cheap options all the time.

If you feel you're not the lab type it might be worth doing additional courses, maybe management or finances, to get a nice office job smile I think there are some 1 year top up things, or alternatively a lot of companies and institutes offer trainee programmes smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)