Forums > Social Chat > Endurance Tips????????

Login/Join to Participate

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
any of you guys know any good endurance tips?? When stringing, I tend to get really really tired after a minute.....and yesterday I was at a club battling like 5 people....and i was exhausted and had to forfeit after like 3 1 minute sessions...so yeah, any of u guys know any endurance tips???????? pzl heLP!

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Find time to run. Run, run, run, run and run. You could also slow down your routine and work on slower, more smooth moves that are hard but don't require as much exertion. Also make sure a friend has plenty of water for you in between your twirling.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
hehe yeah im in pretty good shape i can run a mile in less than 7 minutes...ist not HELLA good but yeah...its just my arms feel like theyre rubber after a minute of stringin lol...i dunno tho, cuz where i come from, most people care more about speed than form and style. i try to do both

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
when will boys learn that faster is not always better?!

Build up to a climax - don't go hard right from the start...

that's good advice for a few activities.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
prehaps you leave the battling to the big guys and just have some fun but it really sounds like you need to do more training.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
another pearl of wisdom is to ignore people that try and bait you into an argument, or into unnecessarily defending yourself.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
looks like i beat you again

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Try using really heavy practise poi every now and then- It'll build up your poor ickle arm mus-cles.. might help with indurance.. and Flash is right - faster is not always better - slow shows control and mindfullness...

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
You can improve your endurance by improving your diet.
I take a lot of ginseng in several forms (in tea, in energy drinks, in tablet form, and in those little glass bottles mixed with royal jelly.)
That's my number one recommendation. Then switch to a high-protein low-fat diet. Take vitamins A, B, C, and E. Eat shiitake and reishi mushrooms. Take iron supplements. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper to everything you eat (within reason).
Add stop smoking tobacco.

Maximus

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Maximus has a really good point on the tobacco. You can't expect much in the name of endurance when your lungs can't deliver oxygen to your blood, now, can you?

Also, running is great, but doesn't do much for your arms. Take up some mild weight lifting (not huge iron-pumping, that just makes you bulky and clumsy). Something involving lots of reps at low weight.

Or better yet, take up swimming! I can spin for hours at a time if I want!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
FF..you make me laugh girl! I just love ya to pieces!

Part of endurance is also your ability to breath. The less properly you breath, the less time you can do much of anything for. Try breathing excersizes associated with Yoga, Tai Chi, even running. Then work them into how you spin.

Mike G is right about mild weight lifting. If it is your arms that are getting tired focus on exercizes that strengthen your arms, shoulders and back muscles. Do between 10 and 20 reps of an excersize and move on to the next, beyond that and you start to build muscle, not endurance. Start with a 1 or 3 lb weight, just to test yourself...and work up from there.

Good luck!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
For a woman, I'd recommend 5 pounds or less to start. For most men, I'd suggest 10 or so. You can always come down if that's too much.

For me, personally, a low-resistance workout would involve 25-pound dumbells, so it really depends on your body build. I'm built like a cross between a brick shithouse and an oil drum, so I'm pretty strong.

As graceful as a hippo in ballet slippers, but strong...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
In terms of endurance, there are various kinds of activities which could help you improve your general conditioning.

Running is great, but there are variables to consider there too. Any cardio-vascular activity should be done for a minimum of 20 minutes otherwise you are not keeping the heart rate elevated enough to have a desired result. If you are jogging at a medium pace, work up to 40-50 minutes. Running sprints can help too. 5 minutes normal pace, then accelerate for a minute, then back to the normal pace. Thats a good way to start.
Good running shoes are important so that the pounding that the body takes with each stride is softened as much as is possible by the sneakers.
Running in waist-deep water is good since it forces the legs to work harder while at the same time lessening the impact of each stride. This increases the explosive force of the muscles as well.
Jumping rope is a great way to build up leg strength and cardio capacity. It doesn't have to include any fancy rope tricks. Try jumping rope with both feet for 2 minutes, then hopping on your left leg for 30 seconds, right leg for 30 seconds, then back to both feet for 1 minute. Repeat this about 3 times and you'll feel a difference in your stamina.
If you have a jump rope with weighted handles it can help your arm/shoulder strength too.

There are lots of ways to improve your arm and shoulder strength. Drills involving bokken work, alternating with playing catch with a medecin ball will make a huge difference in a short period of time.

Plyometrics are also great.

My trainer is quite inventive when it comes to these kinds of things.

Raph

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
haha damn.....you guys seem like preparing me for the olympics lol...well thanks, but i dont think all that is that neccessary...i just glowstring....and yeah im doin a lot of pusups and clap pushups and i squeeze tennis balls so my wrists and arms got pretty strong i can probably weave my fastest for a minute straight i think thats pretty long especially at ur max speed....well i seem to like speed....styles not really my thing.....

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
In the Corps we have Physical Fitness Tests, part of this test is to do 20 dead hang pull ups. Dead hang means you start and stop with your elbows locked. I have never been able to get more than 15. I am determined to get my 20 pull ups in. Now... the best way to get better at pull ups is to do pull ups! True lat machines and what not are good for you but they are just a little bit different.

So, what in samnhell did all that mean, practice and practice. Spin every day.

Or ignore what everyone else thinks and spin for yourself.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I would agree mistix and ray. Poi was originally a form of excersize anyways right?

Your not going to build up much endurance with poi the same weight as glow sticks so make yourself a heavy set of weighted poi and
practice spin with them.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ever thought about learning to swing clubs?

its good exercise in general, works exactly the right muscles to aid your poi spinning and i've found its naturally neatened my planes up.

i don't understand the 'style isn't my thing' bit though...? if you guys 'battle' with your spinning in clubs (like with mc'ing and scratchin' i'm guessing?), is it purely decided on who can do the fastest weave for the longest time?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Do you mean swinging clubs with 'cheater' loops help smoothing out planes or without 'cheater' poops? Because the socket grip thing seems pretty tough, especially with home made clubs.

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
no i mean battlin...like....seeing whos best....i dunno, i just have a lot of competition in me...so i like competing a lot...and im not sure what u mean by spinnin clubs....

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think the point they are makeing is that it's pretty silly that your idea of seeing who is best is who can do a weave the fastest.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
clubs look like this . Or at least the fire ones do. You can do all the moves you do with poi, plus some additional ones. I find that they only help with strength up to a point, where they really help is with flexibility and the clean execution of moves.

The ball grip isn't too hard once you get used to it (no cheat straps here ) and it is better than holding them between your fingers and rubbing half the skin off

As to style vs speed. Maybe introduce something new. Wow-em with style and new tricks, it is better every time than just continous weave.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Well, MOST poi tricks you can do with clubs.

i've yet to see wraps (bounces?) and one-handed butterflys with clubs, though i would prbably pay money to see it, especially the wraps...

As for this 'battling' thing, I must admit to being pretty clueless on what it is, how it is judged and who gets to win.

Could you fill me in, treating me like the clueless staffer that i am with all the borig details please?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Pick your battles according to whats being spun Avoid hardcore or d&b, I got strung in by Dj Spree and his happy hardcore once, dear lord I thought I was going to keel over after like 5 minutes .

I poi to the beat, you can take apart any track and find what beat you want to poi with. With the faster stuff I avoid the really crazy fast beats in the track, instead I poi to the slower more steady beats that are usually present somewhere in the bassline. House works nicely, the beats lend themselves to butterflys and such. Trancier stuff, with the uplifting synth riffs, seems to inspire weave variations.

If you want to last longer, don't go all out crazy, find the slower beats or slow down the tempo, do every other beat or something.

Oh yeah, stay active outside of poi too maybe bike around (which is hard now, what with winter and all), or just do something. You probably don't need a regimented workout, though if you have the motivation go for it.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles (INFERNO):

As for this 'battling' thing, I must admit to being pretty clueless on what it is, how it is judged and who gets to win.

Could you fill me in, treating me like the clueless staffer that i am with all the borig details please?

hehe. Battling is a way to show what you can do, what moves you know or in some cases how fast you can spin. In some settings speed does matter. Different styles for different atmospheres. Battling, in my experience, seems to happen mainly in clubs. Poi'ing in clubs tends to be a fairly competitive act. Raves are generally more carefree, people are more relaxed (maybe due to drugs), and it doesn't really matter how good your are as long as you're enjoying the music and vibe.

Clubs are just different. I guess alot of time people are there to impress, it's not really a bad thing, it's just how clubs sometimes work.

As for how any of this is judged, you pretty much know who wins. If somebody pulls of a better looking move and the crowd loves it, you loose. Or if you know they've done a nicer looking move you loose. I say better looking because in most cases club people arn't the best judge of the technical aspects of poi. Poi is often a new thing to many clubbers so you could impress them with a weave. They'd most likely be more impressed by somebody doing a butterfly while stretching really far backwards than with somebody doing a 5 beat btb forward weave. Not like it's bad, people are familur with different things.

I don't mean to sound bitter in any of what I've said. I have no problem with people battling or being competitive with something they're proud of and put work into. Personally I avoid other poi'ers at clubs, like to just hide in a corner and poi to my hearts content. Unless of course they seem friendly and such, than I'll be social. But if some guy's like, let me see what you can do and I'll do it faster, uhhh, no, tata.

hmmm, I just feel like I've said in four paragraphs what I could have said in two short phrases. oops

note : dear lord the poor grammer, I tried but gave up right away.

[ 23. January 2003, 15:09: Message edited by: Jello ]

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
yeah i wreck just super glue poi to your hands and spin where ever you go all the time, and plus its a great ice breaker eg What the F*** are you doing? spinning poi, want to see my burn scares. lol
this does not really apply to you seeing you mainly spin glow sticks but people who spin fire try using cleaner fuel oderless kero and stuff. i know cleaner fuel are hard to come by, or are explosive so weigh up your options but i find withless smoky fuels or a breezy blowing the smoke away i can spin for much longer ! maybe i'm just sensitive to polution?
Also Flash your point about building up to a climax is excelent and i think i will take that on board (not that i battle but just for endurence sake)

It's all good

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cheers for the explanation jello - next time make it shorter eh?

i get 'battling' a lot more now - its less like dj'ing or mc'ing and more like breaking? as in, i can do this sick move - now you go!
we don't really get that approach over here - its much more like people spinning to their own criteria and if you see something you like, you just tell them. if you're lucky they might even show you how to do it

something i was taught last night - if you learn to spin as slow as is physically possible for your poi length (and they can go *really* slow) while still retaining tight, neat planes you will improve ten-fold. challenge someone to do the same and the speed junkies will come unstuck every time.

rozi - have you worked out hyperloops with clubs yet? mine just go 'clack'...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood