Forums > Social Chat > High Wycombe, Australia

Login/Join to Participate

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
To my complete surprise, I've just found somewhere else with the same name as where I live, across the other side of the globe.

While this was something I wasn't expecting, I suppose it must happen a fair amount, so has anyone actually been to somewhere with the same name as where they live?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
there's a Sydney in Canada I believe. I remember hearing a story on the news about a couple who booked a holiday to sydney from the UK for their honeymoon, and armed with their luggage full of summer gear and beach towels, arrived in Canada to blizzard conditions and much surprise!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well I know there's a York.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Batavia is here in Western New York and also in Poland.
Warsaw near me is also Poland.
There is a Rochester elsewhere, but I don't remember.
Mexico is a town nearby...I don't think I have to explain that one.
Actually, around here all the names are taken...even Buffalo. But the closest other one of those I can think of is at the zoo!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
There's a Rochester in England, South Yorks.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I discovered recently that there is a Dudley in Australia. Okay, it ain't that significant to anyone but me, but my mum grew up in Dudley in the UK, famed for its Dudley zoo.

[ 20. January 2003, 19:15: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele, Rochester, MN is home of the Mayo Clinic.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Well in BC's Largest city Vancouver shares it's Name with a City in Washinton State they're only about 400 Km apart.

And yes there is a Sydney in Canada

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think there's a Dublin in the states somewhere. I haven't been there and don't intend going there in the near future.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
My parents in Zimbabwe live in Farnborough Close, Harare.. I live in Camberley Surrey which is just down the road from Farnborough Hampshire.. I know it's not quite the same being streets.. but I think they ran out of African names when they were naming up the streets there... a lot of the names were small towns in the south of the UK - someone must have missed home..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
have you ever played that game where you type your name into google image search to find all of your namesakes across the world? Most people are dismayed at the number of freaks who share their name...

will

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
I live in Amersham by the way Bovril Monkey. And I bet that HW in Australia is a fair bit more pleasant than ours...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that High Wycombe in Australia is much, much nicer than where I am right now.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to visit it or not when I go to Australia and New Zealand next year - it's not far from Perth, which is the wrong side of the country to where I was planning to go (Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane), but at the moment I'm thinking 'Since I've come all this way already, I might as well'.

I have played the game with the names in the search engine - I couldn't find anyone with the same name as me though. I did get loads of stuff like 'Geoff keeps stealing Rory's badger' though, returned since both Rory and Keep are in the sentance. I gave up looking through them after the first 5 pages of useless results.

However, I know you can put TheBovrilMonkey into Google and it'll return a list of message boards I've posted on at some time or another. They're not very interesting to look at though, a couple of snowboarding ones, some computer game ones and a shadowrun rpg one - I've only made one or two posts on most of them. At least it shows I'm not likely to ever run into a board that tells me someone else is using my name

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Will Uk long time re Google search.. I seem to be unique! Tee hee hee...

Sorry Hijack.. naughty me!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
theres a Texas out west in QLD. weirdness!

and Cleveland a suburb of brissy.... and there was another one.... but i cant think of it right now....

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
theres a berlin rear the us canade border in the east.. funny..
mythmitch

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
I've never heard of any other Londons, but as the Americans always say 'London, England' I am assuming there are lots and pots of them around and it is easy to get confused between them all. I had a little look on google (is that cheating?)for Hampstead and Camden (places I live near in London) and there are a few of them, though.

My surname is 'Slack' (yes, ha ha, I'm slack - heard it all before) and there is a town of the same name in northern France. There is even a picture of me looking gormless underneath the signpost in existence.

I am going to tea in Auckland in a few weeks with a girl who has the same name as me, who I met over crossed emails. She seems fairly normal, but if you don't hear from me again that is because she chopped me up and fed me to the birds.

Do I get the prize? Do I, do I?