Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
this thread is to support (and reduce the size of) my upcoming 'polyrhythm poi' thread.

that thread will be finished in a few days time ubbangel

a polyrhythm is "a rhythm composed of two or more rhythms played simultaneously".

they can get horribly complex but we'll be only be dealing with the most basic ones here since they're the ones most easily applicable to polyrhythm poi and staff spinning.

try tapping the rhythms below out on a tabletop.

tap every time there is a little vertical line.

tap out the top line with your right hand and the bottom with your left - remember to practice the other way too of course smile

Code:

2:1

|..|..|..|..|

|.....|.....|

3:2

|...|...|...|...|...|...|

|.....|.....|.....|.....|

the numbers above the patterns tell you how many beats one hand does compared to the other, or the 'ratio of beats'.

so in the first pattern, your left hand does one beat for every two that your right hand does - 2:1

and in the second pattern, your left hand taps three beats for every two that your right does - 3:2

notice that for each individual hand, the spacing of the beats is even.

also notice that the individual rhythms come back into time with each other (each hand taps a beat at the same time) over a regular period of beats.

and that's pretty much all you need biggrin

if that's all clear, mosey on over to my polyrhythm poi thread (if i've got around posting it) for some ideas on how to play with your poi while applying these kind of rhythms.

------------------------------------

now, before the drummers come to get me, i should point out that 2:1 isn't strictly a polyrhythm.

but for the sake of reducing confusion to a minimum, i chose to include it here anyway tongue

if you'd like to read a more detailed description, this is a link to a very handy page, which explains polyrhythms more completely and gives a few proper examples:

the polyrhythm page

and if you want to hear a lesson on polyrhythms in action, listen to tool drummer danny carey - in fact, just listen to tool anyway ubblove wink

the track 'eulogy' still stands out as one of the best examples of polyrhythms in music that i know of (outside of jazz).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Fine, you can have a different job, monkey trainers are in short supply I hear.

Anyway, the combo one I spoke of earlier is indeed the positional business you speak off.

The one I do goes like dis;

You only do double when ya hand is on the other side of your body. So it's like yours to start with, you do a double while one hand is above the other, but then you double the under bit also. This pattern also has nice symmetry.

I can put this into wall plane where you do three circles as well, which is yes very nicey indeedy. I'm trying to make some 2:1 ratio stuff whilst doing synchronised time poi, but that makes no sense, but I'm still trying.

And I thought about a 2:1 windmill but I'm not sure about that yet.

Go on Coleman, put your thread up, then I can post something in the poi moves forum. First time for everything and all that biggrin

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
slack and anti-slack ubblol

lovely lovely jonny smile

the point of the thread is mainly so that we can do exactly this - talk about mutlifrequency patterns and describe what we are doing with no ambiguity.

your move is: 3bt weave with positional 2:1 [whenever a hand is crossed over]

that gives you a weave with five beats, using a three beat hand pattern biggrin

windmill with 2:1 poi is well possible - just a reel up over your head innit smile

okay - i might have to finish this thread off quickly, just to get it posted and the discussion underway (i can always edit it to make it more complete/understandable later).

give me an hour...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

give me an hour...

or two... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
...two days that is. wink

i'll have it finished tonight - i promise.

i'm not promising anyone will be able to understand it though!

cheers for the kick up the arse mr moohaahaa - it was well needed hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i done it smile

cole. x