Forums > Social Discussion > Immigration is the new Gay Marriage (US Politics)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm sitting here listening to my president give a special address on immigration.

I'll start out by saying that the topic of illegal immigration is important. There are many excellent points on both sides of the arguement for being more and less strict with illegal immigration. There certainly are many groups of people on both sides of the arguement that are profoundly affected by this issue.

I am greatly concerned that this issue is PURPOSELY being blown out of proportion to distract from other important issues (the same way that I believe that gay marriage was put center stage in the 2004 election to distract from other issues and split the country 60/40.)

Gay marriage is an extremely important issue. But it was not more important than every other issue combined the way it was presented in the 2004 presidential elections.

Immigration is an extremely important issue. But it is not more important that every other issue combined the way the current administration is currently presenting it.

To me, it seems like a fairly transparent attempt to distract from Iraq, Iran, Katrina, Medicare, Energy Crisis, CIA vs. Civil Liberties, Terrorism, The Economy, International Relations, etc...

Wag the dog I guess....

[Sorry, I guess this ended up more 'ranty' than 'provocative.' Feel free to add, subtract, or, more likely, ignore.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
No offence but was there a point to all of that?
NYC and faithinfire, you just seem to be mincing words.

If you marry a foriegner or if one applies for citizenship then they should be citizens ONLY if the speak the primary language of the country. I couldn't care less about color, hair, eyes, number of limbs, etc. but language barriers are somewhere I think immigration needs to be much more strict with. I've had to train new employies who couldn't speak english and it is frustrating and possibly dangerous (as one of them didn't properly understand some safty procedures).

If someone is living and working in a country that they aren't a citizen of then I feel they should be deported or "forced?" to take citizenship exam (I don't know if that last sentance came out right).

Regardless of any of that, ALL poision ivy should be deported IMMEDIATLY because it's making me miserable right now.

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
yay yes yes we are

(oh, no, I didn't use punctuation do you think people could follow that? tongue )

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fathom

If you marry a foriegner or if one applies for citizenship then they should be citizens ONLY if the speak the primary language of the country.

Do you know that the US has no official language?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
wow.. I thought this was a thread about spin...

I'd like to think that someone in any religion can believe more than what their particular church has to say. You shouldn't have to subvert your own free will and reason to be a part of it.

I'd like to believe that the rights of homosexuals is worthy of national attention. For example, if I was to die without a will, my GF would have no legal recourse to my estate, even if I had been living with her for years.

Civil unions aren't an attack on marriage. Its basically an attempt to clarify the legal quagmire that gay people encounter regularly as a result of their relationships not being legally recognised.

Unfortunately, because this is such an emotionally charged debate, people are use it as a destraction from other, also valid, public debates. Does that mean that this is a less valid issue? I hope not. I'd like to get married (for want of a better word) someday.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

3,556 posts

Posted:

Written by: wonderloey

I'd like to think that someone in any religion can believe more than what their particular church has to say. You shouldn't have to subvert your own free will and reason to be a part of it.

Thank you-yay free will

I'd like to believe that the rights of homosexuals is worthy of national attention. For example, if I was to die without a will, my GF would have no legal recourse to my estate, even if I had been living with her for years.

actually that is not exactly true, there is some recourse, but part of spin put on things. I used to work at a bank. But here's the thing. If you have possessions, you should have a will...I am 24 and probably own maybe 1k in stuff...I have a will...everyone go get a will NOW.

Civil unions aren't an attack on marriage. Its basically an attempt to clarify the legal quagmire that gay people encounter regularly as a result of their relationships not being legally recognised.

the religious groups are not going to leave this alone unless it is called something other than marriage and is secularized. but if the religion allows for it, that all is up to the leaders of the church

Unfortunately, because this is such an emotionally charged debate, people are use it as a destraction from other, also valid, public debates. Does that mean that this is a less valid issue? I hope not. I'd like to get married (for want of a better word) someday.

unionized (jk-sorry probably in bad taste)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
... and it is working in here too.

A threat about political spin, world peace, war, invasion, the nations future, personal freedom to choose, immigration, future wealth ...

Throw in "gay marriage" and everyone gets on about defining marriage, relationships etc.

How many here are gay ? How many of those gay consider a marriage ?

How many could be affected by terrorism and war ? How many could be affected if their country builds a wall to their neighbor ? What would the USA be like if they'd banned immigration in 1776 ?

3,556 posts

Posted:
i don't know if we have a true cross section of society here. many people here seem to participate in nonstandard lifestyles, from appearances to spirituality and all inbetween
:hi: i wouldn't be here
it is not immigration per se that is the issue...it is the nearly open border that we have with no way to tell who is coming in and out

Faith

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Few seem oppose legal immigration. Instead, they are annoyed that the government seems unwilling to enforce the laws we have, and is considering simply granting amnesty to criminals.

Amnesty is a discriminatory proposition. If we let an illegal immigrants and their employers off the hook for tax evasion, failure to pay social security, not complying with employment regulations (such as our minimum wage laws), and various other things such as driving without liscenses, will we also grant amnesty to citizens who have done such things?

I suppose we could just have "amnesty day," forgive a bunch of crimes, and let everyone have a fresh start. However, they shouldn't discriminated based on race and national origin in administering such amnesty. It should apply equally to everyone.

3,556 posts

Posted:
https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061116/us_nm/usa_immigration_flags_dc
this is so very intolerant

Faith

Page: