Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > tricks i should learn to get into fire staff act

Login/Join to Participate

phenea1BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I go to a prity good performing arts summer camp and it has a great circus program. One of the hardest acts to get into is the fire staff and poi act. I have bin waiting and i am finaly old anof to be in it. I would just like to no some tricks that you think i would need to be able to do to get into this act. smile

phenea1BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
anyone

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
try https://www.firestaff-tutorials.co.uk
- meg has done loads of tutorial videos.

I think sandy has done a few on https://www.inspinerate.com
too.

I've been thinking about doing some poi and devilstick ones but i never seem to find time to update my site let alone film stuff.

There's loads more info if you [Old link]. smile

phenea1BRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
thanks

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
if you want to do an act, it helps if you can mix technicality with good showmanship, some technical moves dont seem as good to non-spinners as they do to us lot. sometimes simple big moves make the crowd hapier than loads of technical stuff they cant get their heads round (pea brained lot!)
something to think about

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
learn poi wink learn 3bt weave forewards backwards and windmills and butterflys and your sorted smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
I'd say with the staff, baring the basic just hand to hand rotors or whatever you wish to call them, the ones you should definately learn are pinwheel(flashy), burnoff(not to be done indoors tongue) also palm spins and body rotations, in other words just general handling of the staff nothing very tricky in that bunch. Always helps to know at least one contact move aswell, something like a simple hand roll or neck roll.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
have a look at my video at www.exocetmedia.com on the geust artist page,you might like some tricks.?
throws are always good for for the crowds so is movement of your body ....spinning or dancing as you twirl
i would also recomend you try and keep your style as origional as possible and rememeber to enjoy it
the most important thing of all is too practise real
hard and get as much advise as you can of more experienced people.
well done so far and good luck!
tim

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I think the trick to performing is controlling your tricks. What I mean to say is start off with the dead simple ones, just spinning it about, then put in a slightly harder one and so on until as you're getting towards the end of the show you start to add the "fat stuff!"
If you start off with your best stuff the crowd gets bored quickly, keep them surprised and play up to their reactions devil

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
ccoolcooll vid by the way tim!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
cheers flame boy,
unfortunately im never happy with a video they nare always behind the times a little.......
tim

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I only have one vid, and its only 30 seconds long made by my mate as a piece of uni coursework. Of course I learned a new move a week after it was finished so it was out of date - rubbish!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
im working on getting another video on the web but its massive and i dont know how to sort it?