Forums > Social Chat > Attention Issues And Spinning Arts

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, I have been conversing with alot of people of the years here on HoP, both on and off the board.
Recently I have been doing alot of correlations, and finding that we all tend to have alot of similarities beyond spinning, but that is another topic.
I have come across alot of us who seem to have either in the past been diagnosed as having, have or think we have some sort of Attention Deficit issue.
I was talking with Ivan about this earlier, and he had information about how we are predisposed to this and literally created with short attention spans from our media exposure when we are young (ie: Sesame Street).
However, I think it is really incredible how many people with attention issue stick with spinning.

I have my theory on this, that it is a quick fix, getting each move. And since each move tends to be progressively challenging, it keeps interest longer than most fads or hobbies. So while the tool is the same, the effect of spinning is actually like picking up different things each time.
What do you think?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
I agree. I've never been diagnosed or suspected of having any kind of attention deficit, but I can totally see how someone with this kind of thing would take to poi. I find myself practicing just about daily (even in a tiny dorm room!) because there is always another move/wrap/transition to learn. Even if you can't figure out one move there are a billion more you can work on. And the more things you learn, the more satisfied you are in your routine because you can direct your attention to a multitude of different moves. Of course, your observations are all correlational and my statements are all hypothetical, but nonetheless it's an interesting idea.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I don't understand the sesame street thing

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There are a lot of people in the public who like to blame ADHD on bad parenting, television, video games, vaccines, fluoridation, etc. etc. etc. It's been around forever, it's just that we only recently gave it a name. And yeah, I have it. Big time.

The typical ADHDer is aware in some way that his or her brain is understimulated and as such, seeks stimulation. This is why you find a lot of cops, firefighters, and EMT's with ADHD. Those with incredible compensation skills often wind up as ER docs (the compensation is necessary to get an untreated ADHDer through med school...no small task). You also see ADHDers skydiving, white water rafting, etc. Anything with stimulation.

Unfortunately, you also see them doing a lot of drugs. And gambling. And video games (to excess). And other unhealthy things because they provide the stimulation that they crave.

Spinning is stimulation. And one feature of ADHD is the "hyperfocus." If something is stimulating enough, and ADHDer can fixate on it with amazing intensity and for very long times. It's paradoxical, but it actually makes sense. So to me, spinning being common among people with ADHD makes perfect sense.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Can this philosophy not be extended to everything in life?!

Will come back with a more thought out explanation...

love n hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
FNF...have you ever watched Sesame Street or many childrens shows? The old ones were segmented and the segments lasted from a few minutes to no more than ten, but the shows, like Sesame Street were and hour long. So, the theory is that by exposing our children to shows and medias with drastic cahnges every few minutes we are, in essence, teaching them to not sit and focus, or really follow through. Hence creating attention issue.

In a way, I can see this though. Noah was not weened on tv. Mainly because I found the shows annoying. So, we watched it but to a moderate degree. He was encouraged to play, to be out, to read with me and we listened to music..all the time. He, when he chooses, can have an amazing attention span, for being read to, for games, for alot of things, even sometimes for school. He outlasts me on alot of things. He does have a wandering imagination that usually sets in some time around Math class though..which is fun all in it's own!

Along these lines, did you know that the average person today has an attention span of 10-20 minutes for a "show", which is why large theatrical movies shift scenes more than a television show. This might come in handy for those of you who are aspiring actors. If you have a really, really great and engaging act you can stretch to 30 to 40 minutes, but that is really pushing it!

I think this is very interesting. Thanks for indulging me!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I don't know about ADHD, but I have never ever been a girl with a hobby. You know how a lot of people say "I dance" or "I do karate", I have never stuck with anything long enough to be able to do that. Musical instruments left in their cases, sporting equipment left in the garage, the whole bit.

Spinning is the first thing I have stuck with and I think it is because it is not "organised". I can go along as the mood takes me and do what I want. There is no set timetable and the benchmarks for achievement are only ones I set myself. That is why I like it.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i agree with most of what you say pele, i think its a first.

i didn`t have a t.v. as a child though and would explain my lack of concentrated attention as a result of a world\culture thats meaning is not obvious and there being few accetped ways of finding it.

i find spinning reflects my mood rather than altering it. when i`m in the mood to learn i learn, when i want to enjoy the poi i enjoy. i do find that moves although if layered out get progressively more difficult, are for me, at the time of learning(becming aware of them) maintain the challege rather increasing in challege.

MGL, your suggestion that adhd has always been around fits nicely with science coming to know the world, but doesn`t fit with the experinces of parents or teachers or history, although i am sure you will be able to make things fit as we all do.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I have watched it lots, Pele. And I can now see what you mean. I'm also aware that at the time it was made, the producers were attempting to harness techniques used in advertising (short clips and jingles etc...) to sell leeearning, instead of crappy toys, while always bringing the focus back to an overal storyline to improve the attention span and also to teach. I just thought maybe it wasn't such a good example - but then I'm a biased Henson-addict

I grew up on a big farm with little to no tv (it was only for the adults) and us children were allowed to do almost anything (within reason!) from random bareback riding on our horses through to camping out in the fields for weeks in the summer and building rafts to sail down the river. Because of this I think we have all been tought to apply ourselves fully etc..... and as a result we all have a wide range of hobbies that we have had for a long time and continue to enjoy.

But recently I have noticed that after taking up spinning I have ridden and climbed less, and I do think it is because spinning has so many challenges within one hobby that there is always something to keep the mind working. Sometimes the endless possibilities are infuriating, and sometimes enlightening. Also, it is such a thorough physical and mental workout that I can see how it would be unusually captivating for someone with ADHD.

But when you think about it more, many hobbies such as skateboarding, snowboarding etc will all have the same kind of benefits.

I haven't really made any particular point here - just sharing my thoughts Nice topic Pele

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i also have a big problem with my attention span, i suffered so hard at school, getting bullied n shit, i was forever rather be staring out of the windows than reading from a text book, i was bullied by teachers for this too, they never seemed to have picked up on the fact that i was stuggling. this all carried on through out my whole school life, subjects and projects didnt catch my eye, i had no interest whatso ever, not only in just paying attention to teachers but to actually doing any work. i am how ever suprised on my grades after leaving school, but they are crap, too crap to get me a decent job, this is not my fault. Which leads me to a situation i have right now. over four months ago i had an accident at work, my job as a celar man and has been for over 3 years, includes a hell of a lot of heavey lifting of beer, the accident has put my back out pretty badly, i strugle to get out of bed most mornings, it leaves me in a possition where i am well enough to goto work, but i am not in any way able to do the job i am employed to do. i have a rather small income coming in, from sickness pay, i am expected to live on £70 a week, man i cant ive on that where i live. well any way, as i cant go back to my job i am left getting into debt and trying to find alternative employment, heres where i am strugling, not only am i worried about my grades but also having to find a job i can do with a serious back problem.
there are a lot of smaller things i find in myself, like i hate to read, i cant focus on some thing for long, i can read a book 2 pages ata a time, it takes me ages to read posts on HOP, i takes me even longer to think about what i am going to say, as you probably notice my postrs are never that long, this is why. i am though becoming better with this the more time i have spent on HOP recently, it has helped me tremendously.
i think this has to do with the things we like to do and show an interest in like poi, i love to talk about it, go and play and meet others alike.
we tend to find things we can do and share a part in with others, my loves are my computer, my poi and teaching, learning to understand, understand any thing i like, as in to take in information about diferent things that i find important or would simply just like to know about.

hope this all makes sense to you guys, anyway thats my story. hope some of you know where i am coming from. i lost track so many times writing that i forgot what i put so i am gonna post anyway, i dont have the time to re read it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Itsgottab:
MGL, your suggestion that adhd has always been around fits nicely with science coming to know the world, but doesn`t fit with the experinces of parents or teachers or history, although i am sure you will be able to make things fit as we all do.
It sure does fit. It's just had different names. Like "devil child."

Example: the Lakota Indians had a concept of the "Star People." Star People were believed to have been sent as gifts from the Star Nations. They were teachers, guides, warriors, and shamans. They had a special spiritual connection with the world.

Now, grab any of these "Star People" and run some diagnostic tests on them and...lo and behold...they have ADHD. The difference is that the Lakota chose to utilize us, to integrate us, and to focus on our gifts. But our society seeks to marginalize us because in our society everything is disposable, including people who don't fit in.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
PK

I love your presence here. I had never even noticed the short posts until you said.

A friend was complaining how most of the boards he goes to are too simplistic, that no one talks about big ideas. I told him how different HoP is, how challenging. I am glad someone else finds it so aswell.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
thanks rozi,
it takes me a while most of the time to look through the board here and take in every thing that goes on, take for example the jedi thread in the moves section, i posted a few days ago after NYC stating that i am now lost and cant follow on where its lead to, yeah i was a major player for several pages, but now i cant seem to grasp from the text and descriptions of the moves, i like to learn from watching and find that the moves now being created in the thread, i dont understand because i havnt seen them, or i do not wish to learn them just yet, time will come when i would love to full understand them all and go back and say hey yeah now i get it. i post where i feel i can make a post and give some thing back that i have created an understanding in my own mind and feel in my heart that i can describe to others in my own way.
at least i know what i am and what i need to learn and where to get it from, most people i know well most of my friends will all say oh thats PK he's quite doesnt say a lot, yeah that is me i am quiet but it doesnt mean i am thick or i dont have any thing to say, i like to create things, create a moment for others to enjoy, which is where my poi comes into it. i wish in my school days that there were things such as poi around even circus skills, maybe my childhood would have been different, not just sports such as swimming and judo, they came the disapeared, but they didnt teach me skills that i needed. at least i can now focus on what i have found i am good at and work from there, i have the rest of my life i just wish i didnt waste time as much as i do, i look at time as precious and the days and weeks seem to fly by.
i am just glad i have some good friends that know me and know how to take me, i'm kind of glad about this thread being brought up because it has given me a chance to say a little about my life and let others here who dont know me personally like some do, the chance to find out.

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
quote:
Spinning is stimulation. And one feature of ADHD is the "hyperfocus." If something is stimulating enough, and ADHDer can fixate on it with amazing intensity and for very long times. It's paradoxical, but it actually makes sense. So to me, spinning being common among people with ADHD makes perfect sense.

What mike wrote made real sense to me. I've found that I can really lose myself when I'm working on new stuff to the point where I don't even hear people when they talk to me, I get called arrogant by some people when this happens but it is hard for me to concentrate on things so when I find somthing I can I love it , it gives me this feeling I can't really describe.

PK I can tell how much spinning means to you, it shows when you spinn , and as a teacher your confident and very good. I like the way you teach the move if somone asks but then explain where else it can be taken.

FNF made a good point
quote:
But recently I have noticed that after taking up spinning I have ridden and climbed less, and I do think it is because spinning has so many challenges within one hobby that there is always something to keep the mind working.
me too The "hobbies" I had before I started spinning have more or less left my life. for me spinning is a big part of my life it has become an obsetion, I'm always playing, the thing is there seems to be no end to the development you can make within the umbrella of spinning.

A thought I've just had: Yes we might have short attention spans . but that means we are always looking at new things to keep us entertained (if thats the right word)we see more and experiance more because of it. At the end of the day it part of waht makes us who we are.
Hugs to all

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This is a touchy subject for me. ADHD is something that I deal with every day.

A large number of people overreact to the situation. I've seen MANY different sides of the situation.

I've seen kids who, when properly medicated, go from miserable because they are absolutely unable to control their impulses to incredibly amazing, patient, and productive students.

I've seen kids prescription drugged to the point of being comatosed.

I've seen kids who's parents have made them SO paranoid that they are now diagnosed with several social disorders including hyperactivity.

I've seen kids who's parents have taken a mild attention span diagnosis and interpreted as a death sentence for the kid.

I've seen parents who push kids to mental breakdown because they don't acknowledge that their child has a weakness in a certain area.

All too often, parents make uninformed decisions about their children and ADD diagnosis is no exception.

ADD and ADHD (Oh... Attention Deficit Disorder and Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder) are very useful diagnosis of disorders for me, as a teacher, to have. It give me information on what to expect from this child. Of course, every child is different but knowing that a child is diagnosed with a certain disorder allows me to look out for certain tendancies more carefully in a crowded classroom.

As for the original post. Kinestetic learners do tend to be more susceptable to ADD. That is, kids who learn by DOING are less likely to be sucessful in a traditional black board-teacher educational setting. I think most poi people I've met are pretty kinestetic.

Poi obviously attracts a certain type interested in the constant motion and stimulation. I'd be pretty certain that there are more people with limited attention issues who are drawn to that than something less kinetic.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cheers pete, coments taken in, absorbed and fully understood and returned with a and a

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Where do I sign up?
I went through so many hobbies as a teenager, all only ever lasting a for a couple of months & the hobbies that I have stuck to have been skateboarding & poi. For the same reasons already mentioned, I can learn when I want and flow when I want. I have the ability to control my interaction. When I get stuck learning I just flow with what I know & usually something clicks then so I go back to learning.

The inability to focus on anyone thing for a period of time when forced upon us completely runs against the idea of the standard western eductaional system and thus is seen by society as a disorder, as the education system could not be wrong now could it instead of seeing the positive side to it. The ability to have many things on the go at once, a successful business man is praised for that ability!!

I have been on a major self-phsycho-analysis recently and I'm trying test a theory that if all our actions ar based on our perceptions which are created by our experiences, by controlling the experience side we can improve can be by focus on that area (wax on, wax off )?? any ideas?? I enjoy poi because I have the control, & to I can relate the need to be able have control to experiences I've had. (maybe I'm over-analysing on this bit )

Not wanting to change the flow of the thread, but: in the world of horoscope I'm a Gemini Fire Dragon, says it all really. From the following description I'm guessing I'm not the only dragon in here:

quote:
FIRE DRAGON Horoscope
Feb 3, 1916 to Jan 22, 1917
Jan 31, 1976 to Feb 17, 1977

Dragon people are the most eccentric in the Chinese Zodiac. Soaring high into the serene heavens, they can be stubborn, passionate, excitable, honest, and brave, wear purple and walk barefoot in public fountains. They listen to their own drummer, thank you very much, while the rest of the world stands in amazement. People always admire their individuality and feisty personality. Dragons are capable of doing great work for mankind and they inspire trust in almost everyone. The Dragon symbolizes life and growth and is said to bring the five blessings: harmony, virtue, riches, fulfillment and longevity.

Chicken Soup and Bamboo Shoots are among keys to even greater good health!

Downright electrifying, Fire Dragons breathe vigor and power. These natural leaders smile at adversity, turn complainers into optimists, and lead lives as inspired as a Beethoven Sonata. They are square shooters in dealing with individuals and are often called upon to mediate disputes. Because they care so much about people, Fire Dragons like to support charitable causes and bring friends together for elegant evening soirees. These Dragons are fired with ambition, unflagging enthusiasm, and intelligence and enjoy most impressive careers as a result. Despite all the money they make, Finance is a big question mark. Money is easy come easy go. Until they control their spending habits, money will just go flying in the wind. Romantics at heart, Fire Dragons can't help playing Matchmaker. They're pretty lucky, too! As for themselves, they ooze charisma and never need anyone to fix them up. Successful in love, often placed on pedestals, Fire Dragons are attractive and have fire in the belly. The opposite sex feels very secure.

Famous Dragon People: Ringo Starr, Edward Heath, Dr. Seuss, John Lennon, Harold Wilson, Helen Keller, Pearl S. Buck, Salvador Dali, Francois Mitterrand, Hosni Mubarek, Maya Angelou.
It kinda covers many areas that I see we all have in common. Not realising this earlier has held me back, and as I realising it is helping me no-end.

On a final note I wanted to..."oooooh, looks something bright and flashy"

PS that's the longest post I've had, the preview doesn't even fit on the screen!!

[ 20. January 2003, 11:22: Message edited by: FireMorph ]