Forums > Social Chat > new on the board/intro

Login/Join to Participate

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
Wow. I haven't checked this site in a while. This new bulletin board thing is great. I got on this after Kathleen(protozoa?) kindly informed me this past weekend at Playa Del Fuego (which, unfortunately, may have been the last getogether of its kind) that i missed the east coast spinning party and that she had a great time and saw some kickass new moves...too bad. i'm really ready for some new angles with my spinning. Well i guess the second half of this post should be a bit of an introduction. I've been doing fire chains for almost a year. I'm a proud member of FlambeVolupte here in NYC and we have a mailing list and open practices, so anyone in the area who is interested get in touch. One of our practice sessions was featured on city-wide tv show called Gotham TV, and lately i've been getting some gigs as a result. All of my paying gigs so far have been at parties/rave type events, but i just got some calls today for 2 different movie projects. I'm currently working on putting together a routine with my girlfriend, and am interested in any type of fire performance...constantly learning and teaching what i know.anyway, that's about long enough. once again, if you do poi/staff/fire performance in the NYC metro area please get in touch, and hopefully i won't be missing any more of these spinning parties...peax,Skunk

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Waow, congratulations for the gigs and future projects!Too bad you missed the ECSP, it was a lot of fun. Helene (Princess of Wands) was there and she lives in NYC. You can find her in the "meet others" section, she'd love to meet other spinners. Are there a lot in NYC? Where do you hold your practise sessions? Last question, what is FlambeVolupte?nomad

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
niceto meet you skunk!!youll like it here..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
FlambeVolupte is the name of our mailing list/discussion group. it has about 50 or so peeps in it mostly from the NYC area, some that used to live here and have migrated, and a few that came to visit and hooked up with us and now know us. As for practice space, we're currently researching that. it's apparently close to impossible to get a permit for anything that involves an open flame here, but we're trying to go about the legal avenues to get as close to one as possible, to prevent being arrested for spinning. We used to practice on the williamsburg waterfront (a formerly vacant lot) in Brooklyn, but my girlfriend did that about a month ago and ended up getting a ticket for trespassing and generally hassled by the man, so now we're a bit cautious. other spots have included locations in central park, down on the manhattan piers (on the west side), and sometimes on rooftops and terraces in apartment buildings. Right now we're looking for any old place where we won't be bothered...peax,Skunk

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Hello people I haven't been on this board for very long so i'd like to say hello to anyone who wants to know.I have been doing poi for only a month or something like that, and I'm finding it great I can already do a fair few moves. How long on average does it take for you to get really good.How can you meet up with other people that do poi or staff to get new moves. Well that's about it.So I just wanted to say Hi really.cya

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Mr Skunk, glad to have you aboard!!!I'd love to find out about getting on FlambeVolupte; even just to lurk and keep up with NYC events. I think there may be another east coast spin party in the works this summer..stand by for details.If anybody wants to see LeSkunk in action, there's a video on this site of him.."Skunk in Snowy NYC". Hot damn!Seeing Skunk and his lovely S.O. perform this weekend has my ego in shambles (in a good way wink ) and I'll be practicing four or five hours a day from now on! Hooray hooray welcome welcome!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - firesista! howdy!in answer to your question; I think you could dedicate your whole life to 'getting good' and never reach your aim. But shit - you'd certainly be interesting to watch smileOn a more realistic level? If you practice every day / night for a month - and then start fire, and then practice every day / night for another 6 - you'd probly be 'reasonably good' depending on whether or not you had a decent teacher / mentor.I have a friend who first picked up a staff 1 month ago. I've been teaching him everything I know - and I reckon in about 3 months he will surpass anyone I've ever seen on Single staff. I'd say that before the year is out - he will be performing more complex moves, more reliably and fluidly than anyone I've ever seen on Double staff too.I say this, because he has a natural affinity for the movement of the staff, and the insatiable drive to be the best he can be, in the shortest possible time.now I just need to organise a dance teacher for him smileI hope he doesnt burn out winkJosh

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Wow a new member to our little familywelcome skunkypeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
Hey Protozoa. tried to email you offlist but your address didn't work. to get on flambe you have to be put on by taraball@earthlink.net you probably know her by now, cute little blonde with a penchant for devirginizing newbie burners by spankification. Anyway, email her and she'll put you on there... Are you looking into doing a east coast poi thing in assateague? Skunk

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Thanx Josh, I parctice a lot more now like well always. I have only got 2 friends that do Poi and they are teaching me everything they know. Does anyone know any other sites that i could check out. Where can you go to see other people doing some sort of show or something, i have been to some before but i would like to go and see others well cya.

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi