Forums > Help! > Blind Fire performerStaff//Poi Spinner needs urgent help!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FearsaorRosaBRONZE Member
Cyr Wheel Artist, Fire Performer, Poi Enthusiast
43 posts

Posted:
Hi all,
I am in urgent need of some help here. I am blind and performing is what puts food in my stomach and feeds my dog. Today after I had finished performing and was drining some tea someone came and stole all my equipment light staff glow poi, Fire poi and just a standard set of warmup poi weavesmiley and light up juggling balls. I am unable to make my own poi due to my lack of sight. So if anyone out there has any juggling/poi they no longer need (I dont care how old and batterered.) If anyone is willing to donate any equipment I would be extremely grateful. I will pay postage or whatever necessary. Cant pay much i am sorry. juggle I thought I would ask te online community for help as a last resort. Thankyou
Rosita

Also I was thinking if i can finmd a bunch of like minded people maybe we could do a practice session on clapham common once a week. Anyone interedted?

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
WHAT!!!!! whoever stole your equipment is so heartless! I can't believe I'm hearing this frown

you can have my furry poi as soon as I get back to london whenever theres a clapham meet you can have them there and then....if you can wait I need to rewick my fire poi and then u can have those too.

sorry to hear this happen and I hope you and your dog are ok.

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

43 posts

Posted:
I dont know if and when there is a clapham meet.I was hoping to arrange one and talk things/techniques over with a group of like minded individuals. Regarding poi any would be fantastic. Everything is going to be difficult for a little while. I couldnt believe smack in the middle of covent garden drinking a cup of tea afeter a performance and wham! someone steals everything. Including the day earnings. However more worried about poi than cash. I am crawling through Ebay at the moment I see one item that may be a possibilty if it stays cheap. Send me a PM when you come back to London and thanks.
Rosita

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
bah il come to covent garden biggrin i go there every sunday besides I need to test out my Trafalgar Square perimeter theory smile with my staff ubblol

43 posts

Posted:
Well as of 5pm today I am no longer performing due to lack of equipment. I dont even have my warm up poi. (Thr poi I use to warm up with. UMMm Trafalger Square perimeter (Dodgy) They seem to jump on anyone who even looks like they are going to perform near there. Have tried pushing the boundries. Thats is a no go area for any kind of performer. Unless you have enough money to buy a licence. If you use Yahoo we can talk directly on the messenger. I wouldnt try Trafalger Square they have been arresting and fining performers.
Rosita

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
thats where my free running skills come in handy biggrin

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I cant belive your poi werte stolen, evil, sorry I dont have any to donate though. However I think you get less hassle if you spin/juggle fire on the south bank along the river, ebtween waterloo and the national theatre

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*moderator hat off*

Ummmmm....while there are dozens and dozens of us on this bb who have had our gear stolen, and we can all attest that it really, really sucks rocks, I am attempting to figure out what being blind has to do with it?

I don't mean to sound heartless, but I really do fail to see the point in mentioning that. I don't see how it makes a difference and it bothers me that it was even brought up as it doesn't make the suckiness of what happened more severe.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
From what i understood,it was more the fact that perhaps she along with the other people that have posted here were angry that not only did someone steal poi...but also took advantage of the fact that she was blind in order to steal from her.

Thats the impression i got anyway. shrug

grouphug

43 posts

Posted:
Maus is correct Pele people take advantage of me regularly because of my lack of sight/Blindness. According to someone who saw what happened the person walked up picked up my bag with my equip in and my staff and walked off. By the time one of the other performers realised he had gone. (He probably didnt even know what was in the bag) Many times people try to pass me forged notes ( In the sense "Can you change this into coins for me?") or other things bacause they know I cant tell. I am fed up with being taken advantage of. That is why the comment. Also seeing as my skills are my main source of income (I am a musician also) It very annoying as i am living on the breadline.
Thanks for your kind words everyone.
Rosita smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Really?

I know someone who is blind who makes poi.
I also know a man who spins poi and is in a wheelchair.
There was no relevance to it for me.

I also know that Rosita has been mentioning that she is blind in most posts aside from this one in several threads, and that it this is not isolated.

I also know performers who are sighted who have had people walk away with their stuff right in front of them, literally one was on a stage, someone walked up and took his stuff and the audience, despite him asking did nothing to stop the dude.

It still has absolutely nothing to do with it to me.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

43 posts

Posted:
Ther Other reason I mention my lack of sight is because I am trying to find other blind performers and start a group. I already teach blind kids. There has to be more people out there. I trapeze also and juggle also tight rope but I am looking for other people with the same skills. Thanks
Rosita

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pele

I don't mean to sound heartless

Strange because it's seem that you took your mod hat off just to be so. Its nice to see moderators hats coming off sometimes, but often it seems to only be when they want to be mean. shrug

Written by: Pele

I also know that Rosita has been mentioning that she is blind in most posts aside from this one in several threads, and that it this is not isolated

So what? confused

It's not exactly hard to see why she's mentioned it here, I think

Written by: Fireryfireworld

I am unable to make my own poi due to my lack of sight

sums it up quite clearly.

It's great your mate is able to do it without sight and maybe in future this lassie will be able to too, but right now she can't and can't earn performance money without equipment. Perhaps some suggestions or info from your friend to help her learn to make fire poi to the quality standard required would be more appropriate instead of belittling her disabilities or lack of poi manufacturing knowledge in the thread. The first time I made fire poi it went horribly wrong, I wish someone had given me decent instructions at the time and I can see just fine.

Perhaps a quick reminder of HoP's guidlines

Written by: HoP

* Is it the Truth?

* Is it Fair to all concerned?

* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?

* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Your post doesn't seem to cover those, but it could have easily been constructive instead of critical given your friendships and knowledge of fire equipment.

FireyFireWorld you can find info about the clapham meets [Old link] the first post for general info, later posts for exact info. I hope you find something soon.

I could donate you one poi, as I had one stolen and got left with the other and I replaced it with a new pair. PM me for details. I'll see if I can get it to someone who can deliver it to Clapham. It's a monkey fist on ball chain.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i know i don't post much on the help thread but............ pele you do seem a bit harsh hug i know i'm not the greates person to point this out but give the woman a break

please

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Im with pele on this one really, and ya know erm you cant allways beleive everything you hear from people on the internet, I'll say no more on the subject hmm hmmm hmmmmm.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
**post deleted by {anthrax}**

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You never do that do you anthrax?

I'm shocked that some of you feel you need proof of this. Why? Do you need proof that I live in Cambridge? Or that I lost my poi last weekend? Or that I've not had any tea today?

Isn't someones cry for help enough?

I'm actually quite sad that you people are saying what you are.

frown ubbcrying

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Im with pele on this one really, and ya know erm you cant allways beleive everything you hear from people on the internet, I'll say no more on the subject hmm hmmm hmmmmm.

Of course, from the perspective of posting on an internet forum, it is entirely possible for a person to claim they're blind when they're not.

However, it's also entirely possible that they are exactly as they say they are i.e. unsighted and, in that situation it's not a nice welcome to the community to be basically called a liar.

At the end of the day, all she's requesting is a set of poi, whatever the circumstances, it's hardly worth a personal attack is it?

Written by: anthrax

We have absolutely no proof of the aforementioned impairment, its just one persons word against the next....

Look Now please don't come begging for free things off the community.

IMO, that's out of order (you've got no proof she's not telling the truth and, to be honest, in this situation I really don't think that she needs to prove to anyone that she's blind) and I've reported it to the mods because you've basically accused a newbie of begging, which is, IMO, offensive.

FieryFireWorld, despite the 'welcome', stick with it- as you'll see from other replies on this thread, we don't all have presumptious and hostile attitudes here.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
There's no proof so we should call her a liar....jees nice attitude guys confused

Lets hope next time you need something you don't try to rely on a strong community such as HoP for help.

Maybe she isn't blind and if it should come about that that is true and we're being mislead (as will certainly happen when she goes to the Clapham meets and folks are introduced to her) then please feel free to say "I told you so" and rub my face in it. In the meantime I'll try not to single out individuals on this forum for personal abuse and take them at their word until I have good reason to beleive otherwise. Friendship and community spirit are one of HoPs many plus points that set it aside from many other online communities.

Written by: Antrax

Now please don't come begging for free things off the community

What?? Since when do you issue instructions on behalf of everyone on here?

Joe, Antrax, Pele (in non mod mode) if you don't want to help someone who's posted a help topic in the help forum then just resist the urge to type a reply, it's quite simple really. shrug Your silence will speak volumes

Pele if you think someone is abusing the trusting nature of the many folks on here then put your mod hat on and stand by your convictions, find some evidence and continue in the profesional manner we're accustomed to from you.And if anyone else thinks that Rosita is abusing the nature of folks on here press the report button so someone who runs the place can check it out properly. There's no need to act aggressivly towards an individualwhen you have no evidence or reason to beleive otherwise.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
The only reason I posted was because your all taking an offensive side to peles orrigional post, which isnt offensive and from what I can see carefully written. I didnt call Rosita a liar I never said in my post 'I odnt bleeive you', im just stating a simple fact that there are no garentees with the internet, just to try and point out that pele has a good point and theres no reason for anyone to side agaisnt her for spekaing her mind on this subject.

Now one wheel I didnt launch a personal attack at all, and if I knew you more ide say I was hurt you would jump to such a harsh conclusion. (but I dont mind that much anyway lol)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Rosita, if you are blind (I'm not questioning it) then I guess you are using a screen reader? Or do you have soemone to help you post on forums like this that may not be great for you to hear?

Either way, I want to make sure that there are many people sending you hugs though emoticons. They don't have any alt tags so you may not ahve any way of knowing what it means. Just thought I'd let you know, and add my own...

*hug*

Oh, and Joe is right, not everyone on these forums is nice, and i'm sure there are some who can't be trusted. However, I (and most other people here) like to think of people as being nice until the point the find out otherwise.
EDITED_BY: Sym (1147609937)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Lupomember
64 posts

Posted:
Hi guys,
when i saw this post i was also thinking about somebody maybe just lying about being blind to get some poi. i dont think that that shows my bad character, its just becoming normal (after some experiences of spam, viruses, "poor" people that go for some sushi, after begging for money on the street) not to believe everything you hear or read in the internet, but serious, i would have never thought about really accusing her in this thread.

because if you are right, ok - you were right - thats all, nobody gets anything positive out of this experience, but if you are wrong you just hurted somebody a lot, without even having a good reason.
i would feel very bad, if somebody called me liar and i was in such situation and only telling the truth.

some years ago i didnt find my mp3-player anymore, searching like crazy in my room for over hourse.
the day before a friend of me had been there (a guy with quite a bad reputation along parents), i also left him alone for some time.
so i thought that maybe he had been stealing it.
i was angry with him for a whole week without even telling him why. damn, luckily i never told him that! its so easy to brake a good friendship because of such stupid [censored].
...one week later i found the mp3thing in my jacket - it had been there for all the time...

never, never, never call somebody a thief, a liar, whatever, without being totally sure.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I am also a bit shocked at the hostility going on. We've had this before where people have suspected a hopper from being a liar and it wasnt nice!

True we dont know Rosita, she could be a 30 year old man named Jospeph planning to infect the worls poi have them delivered all over the country and then they infect everyones mind with crazy talk of things like antispin is actually good wink

But also she could be who she says she is, all she has been asking for is if you have any old battered poi rather than throw them away send them to her. If I wanted to pretend to be blind so I could get peoples equipment I wouldnt put emphasis on how battered and old they are as she hss done, if I wanted to go to the trouble of pretending to be blind to get poi, personally, I wouldnt bother with getting old crap equipment which I could just as easily make and get half decent stuff.

Let's show a little faith here.

Rosita I dont have any poi I can send you, but good luck with your search, I think it's great to see someone with a disability letting it hardly affect them, keep up the good work in the comunity!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
To Pele (With her moderator hat off):
I think you overstepped the line there. Your first post reads as being un-necessarily agressive smile
I hope that this will help to stop your fears that Rosita is an imposter.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%09+Maria+Rosita+Apaza+Marchaqa
Nice Llama btw. smile
This is after all a help section. And the HOP I always knew is a very charitable place.

Good luck Rosita, very sorry to hear that your gear wsa stolen.
Smiles
Drew

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I'm so glad so many people have leapt to the defense of Rosita in here.

Most of the things i want to say have already been said,but i would like to say its good to read so many positive words.

Reminds me why i love this community so much.

Rosita-hopefully we will see you at PLAY festival or something else soon if you can make it?
Would be lovely to meet you!

*hugs,love and happiness*

grouphug heart biggrin

43 posts

Posted:
Hi All
The hostility is not really necessary and I didnt expect it. I can see where a lot of you are coming from there being so mant scam and such stuff on the intenet. However if any of you happened to google my name spelt apaza marchaqa or apasa marchaqa. You will find out for yourselves. I feel that my blindness should not set me apart from any of you as we all of have something in common being the pleasure we get from twirling and performing. That is what we have in common not (he or she might be lying) we dont need bickering here online. Too much of that in the real world. But it takes all sorts to make the world go round smile
Rosita juggle weavesmiley

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Rosita, I have been robbed a few times this last year,and it sucks! I am sorry, what an unpleasant view you are getting of some peoples behaviour. A big hug your way, and Good luck rounding up new gear.

On the subject of disabilities- wow, some of the comments really surprised me. Some disabilities present very real limitations , and it shocked me to see some people judging whether or not they are sufficient to justify someones request for help! Yikes! Being blind would be a pretty significant part of someones life I should think, and would find it more odd if a blind spinner did not mention it.

Rosita, I am pretty impressed that you do all the amazing things you do!

Hope to meet you at Play... If you have not gotten your hands on some good practice poi by then, pm me, and I will bring a set. Shipping from Canada just is not practical!

smiles,
Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Blimey!! What the hell is going on in this thread? It starts off as someone asking for help, and it turns into a court hearing!
Rosita, sorry to hear about the horrible people who stole your things, and sorry about the horrible reception you've had from some people here. Huge hugs.
I hope to meet you at a clapham, I'm sure I will, also come along to Poi in the punt, which will be in cambridge in mid august. smile
I'm sure I can make you some sock poi, I have lots of long socks! I hope you like black and green stripes!
Anyway, I think it's great you are still spinning. Losing my sight is one of my greatest fears, so I have huge respect for you.
Anthrax, pele and Brit joe, stop acting like non-Hoppers, and show some love.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
I apologise to the people whos friendships I may have ruined.

Sym, you in particular made me get rid of my post, I was in a foul mood this morning, I had absolutely no right to say what I did. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

Rosita, I'm sorry for the hostility you have encountered, I feel truly rotten for being rude to someone I have never met, or had the pleasure to get to know.

From this post on, can we please try and suggest things to help Rosita and perhaps comfort her?

Thats all I have to say.

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
now that's the kind of love we're used to here grouphug

Anthrax you've just gone up a million fold in my estimations

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
me too hug well done anthrax for spreading that old fashioned hopper love! ubblove hug biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Page: