Forums > Social Discussion > rituals in the modern world: festivals/concerts/free parties

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
hello people. wave I am doing a project in Anthropology, in a unit called Ritual and Belief. Our theme is rituals in the modern world and we have chosen to focus on Festivals, Concerts and Raves/Free parties; as rituals in themselves and more specifically on the rituals that they involve.

I don´t want to lead discussion too much; I am interested in your own opinions. But if you could answer any or all of these questions and/or add your own comments/thoughts I would be really grateful for your input.

1) Please state which of the following you go to or have been to: festivals, concerts, raves/outdoor parties.

2) Was your first attendance at one or all of these events a particularly special experience? What was memorable about it? Did it change any aspect of your day-to-day life?

3) Why do you choose to attend these events? If you do not attend them, why do you choose not to? (please answer seperately for each category ie. festivals/concerts/raves or parties)

4) Would you consider them to be rituals? Please explain.

5) What (music) scenes/subcultures do you identify with (if any)?

6) Do you feel that these events have an influence on your identity on
a) an individual level
b) a collective level
Please explain your answer.

7) Please provide some descriptive words (feelings etc.)that you associate with the followings stages of each event
a) before/at the beginning b) during c) at the end/afterwards

8) Are there any beliefs/values that you associate with these type of events?

9) Can you describe any of the rituals that people participate in at a a)festival b) concert c) free party/rave

10) Are there any things you have done/do at one of these events which you would not usually do in your "normal life".

Please add any further comments/questions.

I am really looking forward to reading your responses. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

*Disclaimer: this is not a cunning ploy to try to get HoPpers to do my coursework for me. Anthropologists are interested in the meanings that individuals attach to their own worlds, and I am not wasting time on HoP I am doing fieldwork... just so you know ubbangel

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Let me have lunch, then I'll answer your questions. smile
Miss you! hug2

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ditto smile

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well you could do an entire chapter on ritual at the Woodford Folk Festival.. the Fire Event in particular.
Also I did lots of stuff in my psychotherapy training about the nature of ritual.

Let's discuss. Not now though it's goshdarn late and a Certain Girl needs tucking in....
Cheers!
Gabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well started typing out a response and realised it would take couple of days. will post when finished - so many experiences to remember!!!

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
sorry i am boring
) Please state which of the following you go to or have been to: festivals, concertsraves/outdoor parties.
By festivals: do you mean like irish fest or renfair or sca events
In Milwaukee, where I live, we live for summer street festivals, we are cooped up for 2/3s of the year with crappy weather and all hell breaks loose in the summer. I also do renfairs
2) Was your first attendance at one or all of these events a particularly special experience? What was memorable about it? Did it change any aspect of your day-to-day life? No, I don’t really remember anything.

3) Why do you choose to attend these events? If you do not attend them, why do you choose not to? (please answer seperately for each category ie. festivals/concerts/raves or parties) I like festivals cause it is fun and lively and people are friendly which isn’t the regular case in this city. I don’t really do concerts cause it costs too much money and I live on a tight budget. I wait for the festivals and spend whole days at the music festival here. All but one stage is free and all different genres of music and entertainers come for two weeks. I do renfairs, good people good food great sexy clothes. I don’t really do raves or outdoor parties-too crazy

4) Would you consider them to be rituals? Please explain. Summerfest (the music festival) is a huge ritual. People come from all over the world. Families and friends have traditions of going down to the grounds for fourth of july or stuff like that. I don’t know if I would say I have a ritual yet. Renfair is very ritual. Get there before 1030. Change in the car. Watch the same shows. Get the same bodice burn.

5) What (music) scenes/subcultures do you identify with (if any)? I like the current rock aka dorm rock, something with a little edge but not usually too much. Like country and the life sucks life is great attitude. I enjoy modern folk-damien rice, Charlie mars but I don’t think I identify with the scene…it seems more alternative-myself conservative and traditional

a) an individual level
b) a collective level
Yes. It is rejuvenating to do something that reinforces values and beliefs and identies. At Summerfest, you drink, you listen to music, and try and get on the right bus home. You drink with your friends, listen to music with your friends and a couple thousand other folk there doing the same thing. At the end of the night you make a new friend either trying to find your bus or on the ride home. Summerfest is part of Milwaukee. Most festivals have a focus on drinking which seems to be the collective identity of the city.
Renfair is just fun. I get to release my inner nerd and everyone else there does too.
At the concerts, the last one I was at had such an energy, high without drugs. I went there to hear music that I enjoyed and found messages or rhythms agreeable. Scientists, psychologists, sociologists talk about mob mentality, but it was positive, an energy lifting us and the band up and bond(except for the guy who spilled his beer on me)

7) Please provide some descriptive words (feelings etc.)that you associate with the followings stages of each event
a) before/at the beginning excitement, anxiety
b) during lifted, elated, belonging/not belonging-goes back and forth, do I belong or do I just think I do and they all are laughing in their beers,meade, carefree
c) at the end/afterwards exhilarated, let down

Summerfest and other Milw.festivals…more beer more music don’t touch me
Renfairs…how you doin’ wink , cautious welcoming-is it just a phase for you (playtron) or are you really interested in the bawdy historical entertainment and want to play along. Irishfest-everybody’s irish and welcome so long as you’ll lift up your guiness

9) Can you describe any of the rituals that people participate in at a
a)festival see certain bands, eat certain places, go on certain days with certain people
b) concert go to certain bars before or after or both, trying to get back stage as a sense of belonging and being cooler than those who don’t
c) free party/rave this I have little personal experience, but all the people I knew wanted to roll-why I didn’t go

10) Are there any things you have done/do at one of these events which you would not usually do in your "normal life". Yup, I am just more forward. Rolled once, eh, nothing special, I’ll leave it
Walked up to one guy and said “we are going on a date and you have no choice.”

Just a few things:
I did not realize how beer, food and music orientated we were here till now. Many times if you live within a culture it is hard to see something as a ritual, because it is just what you do. Rituals create a comfort zone. It helps you rule out who the others are. If they don’t know the ritual, you probably don’t want to associate with them. Summerfest is on the expensive side but who are you if you don’t go at least for part of a day. Cultures subcultures cocultures—it is to create comfort within a person and the society where he lives

I think the whole street festival is a ritual season for Milwaukee summers. It starts with Riversplash. Mmmm fishbowls. There are a few random street festivals usually sponsored by a bar or radiostation. There is Bastille days which has little to do with the French, more about people and vendors and music. Summerfest. It is or is one of the largest music festivals in the world, with free stages. Bauhaus Blue Oyster Cult Candlebox Counting Crows Everclear Goo Goo Dolls Mary J. Blige Nine Inch Nails P.O.D. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Pearl Jam Jackyl Hank Williams Jr. At the fourth of July, sailboats come out with all their flags and lights. At least once in your life you have to run from one end of the grounds to the other trying to make a show and get good seats
State fair and cream puffs. You cannot go to State fair without eating a cream puff, a roasted ear of corn, and a beer brat. And don’t forget the cheese curds
I am really looking forward to reading your responses. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

*Disclaimer: this is not a cunning ploy to try to get HoPpers to do my coursework for me. Anthropologists are interested in the meanings that individuals attach to their own worlds, and I am not wasting time on HoP I am doing fieldwork... just so you know

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
thanks very much for your answers Faith, they are really useful.. and I don´t really understand why you say "sorry I am boring"... please explain what you mean by "to roll"? confused

Am interested in any event that anyone classes as a festival, not only the big ones (Burningman, Glastonbury etc.) but also any local or special interest/local events. (folk festivals, renaissance fairs included).

particularly interested, for those who have gone to various different types of festival (ie. rock, pop, folk, electronic, renaissance, new-age/hippy, christian, pagan, bhuddist, other) in the differences and similarities between your experiences at these events and if there are any features or characteristics of festivals that are universal.

If anyone doesn´t have time or inclination to fill out the whole questionnaire, please feel free to add general comments or opinions.

sunny

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
shhhhhhhhh......................... my rituals are secret;)

well......................more like unprintable ubblol
EDITED_BY: ravehead (1147428947)

devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
1) I go to all theese things, but I can only get away with skiving work long enough to stick to one, so i pick festivals. This is still a massive range of events. From a couple of hundred hippies singing songs in a field to thousands of european mettellers and several stages.

2) I can't say I definatly remember my first festival, I can remember oak dragon camps from about age 7 but my parenty were hippies so that's not definatly my first. First time I went to a metal festival was the last Donnington monsters of rock & didn't want to go home ever, but then Kiss came on stage so we bailed. What was special about it was I'd found somewhere I felt like I belonged for the first time in my life.

3) I attend cause I feel more at home there than in my own house.

4) I don't think I could define them as rituals without a more detailed explination of your defination of a ritual. From the little reading i've done I have vague memories that there is criteria an event needs to fullfil in order to be classed as a ritual (rite of passage, personal connection or something, can't remember excatly). But it's something I do every year & I get v fustrated & irratable if I spend too much time without one.

5) I take bits & peices from most alternative subcultures / music sceens but i don't identify myself with any of them fully. Pigeon holes don't work for me.

6)a) at an individual level the biggest efect on my identity these events have in the peace & confidence i have in being myself in an everyday society that wants me to conform to being a barbie girl. I could spend days going into detail!
b) it makes my head explode to think about the effect these things have on our collective identity, that's a real in-depth question. But i'd say it's simmilar to what i feel on an individual level, it gives subcultures strength to meet others, exchange ideas, etc. It's like turning the tables fo a few days & suddenly the "normal" people are in the miniority.

7) a) before/at the beginning - excitment, impatience, calmness, release (yess. all at the same time)
b) sane, giddy, like a kid in a playground
c) chilled, depression, nostalgia, the oposite of lonliness (sorry, i'm not amasingly skilled on the litteray front!)

8) yes, all of them, I don't even know where to start.

9) now surley that's your job?! wink

10) i drink more, play more, smile more, chill out & wash less!

ok, that's about as much writing as i can handle right now. I suggest extensive field reasurch with full funding! (I have a friend who managed to wangle 3 years living with hippies in hawai to do this!)

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi sunbeam, I don’t have time to do all of this today. Here are a few thoughts:

Written by:

1) Please state which of the following you go to or have been to: festivals, concerts, raves/outdoor parties.

ALL. Some of your categories overlap. The biggest, bestset, oldest, and the archetypal event in Australia is ConFest which is short for Conference and Festival. Started at the Aquarius festival in the 70’s.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Forgot to mention if you would like to answer out of the public realm please email or pm your answers to me.
bump.... ubbrollsmile

stone: I don´t think it matters that the categories overlap. I think there are a lot of similarities between these types of events/"rituals"...I mean thats why I chose to ask about them all together... but thanks for your comment, hope to hear more from you when you have time.

smile

sunny

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:

I go to several different festivals every year usually in the summer, and occassionally to see live music.

2) Was your first attendance at one or all of these events a particularly special experience? What was memorable about it? Did it change any aspect of your day-to-day life?

I remember my first time going to Reading fesital with my dad. It was memorable because of the atmosphere, the weather being both sunny and stormy especially when muse were playing their set during a thunderstorm. I also was star struck when i saw the lead singer of weezer walk past in a very dapper suit, and I gasped and put my arm out. To my amazement he reached back and touched my hand.
Of course this made me want to do this sort of things again, go to more festivals and live concerts and gigs.

3) Why do you choose to attend these events? If you do not attend them, why do you choose not to? (please answer seperately for each category ie. festivals/concerts/raves or parties)

I go to festivals to spend time to relax and have fun with friends and make new ones, enjoy music and atmosphere. To get outside and get back to nature a little as something different to normality of work.

I like to go to live concerts also for the sharing of atmosphere and music and fun with friends, and experience of seeing hearing feeling the music first hand.

I think they seem to be ritualistic in a sense that people with similar intentions flock to one place and repeat it regularly or yearly. I suppose each time you will have a posotive expectation of having as much fun as you did the last time. A lot of festivals have a level of spiritual meaning, where you are spending time on being you, and allowing yourself to express yourself.

I suppose I fit into the eclectic category, I like to listen to a lot of different music. I enjoy bing part of the poi/spinning/juggling etc scene and I guess I fit into the "art student". As a teenager I used to be a "grunger" but it was mainly because I didn't want to be a "bottle blonde essex girl" that seemed to be a stereotype of my school.

a) an individual level
b) a collective level

I think they have in some respects because they can introduce you to new things that can become part of who you are what you do and what you like.

Think its a great thing that people of similar and not so similar minds can come together and share similarities and differences and it can change or enforce your morals.
a)planning, packing, excitement, nervouse, impatient
b)happy energetic stimulating
c)tired happy relaxed

I personally do not associate myself with any religion, although (epecially will the spinning community) I do feel that going to festivals and concerts etc are a lot more than a hobby or pass time.

9) Can you describe any of the rituals that people participate in at a a)festival b) concert c) free party/rave

10) Are there any things you have done/do at one of these events which you would not usually do in your "normal life".

I can say that the posotive non stressful environment enhances my social happiness and confidence, as it is not often a time where I have worries about work etc. Being a quite quiet person, usually it is a contrast to how I am in "normal life".

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
1) have been to fetivals, free partys and concerts, going to more and more fetivals than ever this year round smile bounce

2) no, ive been taken to various festivals and folk fair type events since i was little so they havnt changed my life. the first free party i went to i remember quite clearly and i feel that was a special party... but i dont think it changed my life.

3) i attend these events to have fun, dance, run about and to generally be festive.

4) depends what you mean by a ritual.. i see a ritual as a regualr thing.. like brushing your teeth at night and in the morning, so i geuss regular festivals/partys that happen every year at the same time and place have a touch of ritual to them.

5) allsorts

6) i am oli im not going to change that by going to a party.

7)
a) excited bounce b) ubbloco ubbloco happy energietic crazy c) reality sucks feeling... and also a general fuzzyness

8) ??

9) i geuss drug taking and dancing are fairly ritualistic

10) yea, i think you feel more free sometimes, and its good to go with that/.

hope that helps.. good luck rolleyes

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
personally i think it would've been more interesting to do it on drinking alcohol or going to places where alcohol is legally consumed, considering its much more prevelant in all facets of society

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
appreciate the comment mr majestik but I don´t agree that just because something is more prevalant necessarily means it´s more interesting.

As someone who has been lucky enough to have been taken to festivals as a child I have seen a lot of people who went to their first one later on in life and whose lives have changed dramatically as a result of their first festival/free party/concert experiences. For a lot of people they seem like a kind of rite of passage into adulthood and for some people also into a kind of alternative community/way of thinking. I mean, how many people have had "firsts" at similar events. First time you saw/spun poi, or staff, or first time meeting other´spinners. "First" consumption of certain controlled substances, or or maybe just the first time you lived with your friends in a field for a week?

I am doing a presentation on Wednesday of my "ongoing investigation" so any more answers and comments would be apreciated...

and clap thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer so far, this stuff is really interesting.

sunny

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
1) i've been to all (festivals, concerts, raves/outdoor parties) all though not a lot of them

2) not particularly special, but most definatly enjoyable. the best thing has been the attitude of everyone, just wanting to enjoy whats available while it lasts (except Falls Festival(3 day music fest) where way to many people get way to drunk and start stupid fights for no other reason than their egos) but i get paid to work at that so its worth going to biggrin

festivals, well as stated i work at falls festival, i dont know if i'd go if i didnt cause each year has been worse (patron wise) than the previous year.

concerts, i rarely go to but i do enjoy pub bands that dont cost the earth.

people at raves are funny, as i dont take 'controlled' substances i dont bother going to bush ones but dont mind having a good laugh at people drugged out of their eye sockets.

4) most definatly not (in my instance) i dont plan around them and theres no consistancy about when i go. basically its just if the oppertunity is there and i dont have a better offer. except the circus fest which i most definatly wil not miss out, but thats only bi-yearly so its a long time between snacks.

5) all and none, i have certain qualms about music, especially having to pay for it wink

6) everything is influential, but its not usually me who conciously knows how i'm influenced.

7)
a) hope its goodb) *sigh*/ smile c) at least it passed the time/ damn, its over

8) no

9) Can you describe any of the rituals that people participate in at a a) good vibes b) going all out, its only a few hours c) - (all of the above, consuming drugs, including lcohol)

10) no.

hope its useful, i doubt it will be though wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
1) Festivals, outdoor parties (local doofs in particular)

2) My first major festival experience was kind of special simply because it was the first, but not particularly so in any definitive way.

3)
I choose to go to these events to experience what ever they have to offer - great music for the music festivals; and to enjoy the atmosphere. Meet old and new friends, escape from day to day stuff.

4)
Yes, for me it is a little ritualistic - the planning, preparation (outdoor parties are often some distance away)
And trip to get there.
There is also even a kind of a ritual of deciding whether or not to attned - about half an hour before I get in the car and go!

5) Not having truly identified with any particular "scene" I find myself particular comfortable with the psy / local doof scene, as I feel completely at ease and not being judged or viewed critically in any way.

6) influence on your identity on
a) an individual level - Yes - but it not so much the event that influences it, rather, it highlights, or clarifies, what is existing.
b) a collective level - Yes - that you can be part of a collective, or community, and still retain complete essential individuality. I believe it is this respect for the individual that gives us unity.

a) before - excited, expectant
b) during - being, presence (as in presence of self in chosen reality (?))
c) afterwards - reflective, reminiscent, content.

8)
The primarly belief and value I would associate with these events is simply the ability to refrain from judging anyone else by their appearance/dress/behaviour, and the reciprocal - to be comfortable in your own skin with no fear of judgement.
In a word - acceptance.

9) Rituals: While I cannot speak for others, I take great ritual in preparation - packing things for making fresh chai - making it, offering it around. Waking pre-dawn, being up, sipping tea when the sun comes up, and cooking pancakes.

10) Are there any things you have done/do at one of these events which you would not usually do in your "normal life". Yes - dress like no one is judging you on appearance, Dance like no one is watching.

Generally I do not drink alcohol or take drugs at these types of events. I find that it is totally not necessary to do this to thouroughly and wholeheartedly enjoy the experience, and to enjoy an altered state of mind not due to these things, but rather by the music, the atmosphere, the beautiful natural environment.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
) Please state which of the following you go to or have been to: festivals, concerts, raves/outdoor parties.

All of the above

First concert was Roing Stones at Wembley Stadium with family, this was amazing. I remember how loud it was more than anything.
First concert without family was Metallica at Earls Court, this was my first time going out for an evening without my parents in London. We drove into London, got as far as Seven Sisters, and went into a chicken restaurant to ask how to get to Earls court biggrin The man told us to head west - good advice.
First Festival was Reading with my Pop.
First festival alone was Glastonbury, with brother plus two friends. With festivals and concerts the first was always with my family. Going to these events alone for the first time made me feel more free, and more grown up :-)

They are good, they offer something you can not find anywhere else, the music and the atmosphere. I choose to go because all my friends do, and it is a chance to see many people I only see at these places. Depending on what type of festival it is, I might go just for the music, or just for the atmosphere.

Ummm. I would only consider them rituals as much as meeting friends for an evening is a ritual, or as much as going to a friends house for a weekend is a ritual. I don't know if preparing to go away for five/six days in a field is a ritual, you have to get all your food and upplies and then often drive miles to get there, but I don't know if this is a ritual.

Trance scene. Metal Scene. Alternative scene (if such a thing exists?)
Body-Mod scene, natural living scene??

a) an individual level
To an extent, although I have always enjoyed contradicting or making people question the assumptions made on what 'scene' you appear to be a part off. For example, being a hippy who likes metal.
b) a collective level
How, what I don't understand? Do I feel like attending these events affirms my part as a member of a certain sub-culture or scene? Yes I think they do.

Well, when your a part of a scene people ask if you attended event X, and saying yes or no, places you in a catergory of some sort, as in 'he's more into festival X which represents lifestyle X, than festival Y which represents lifestye Y'

a) before/at the beginning
Excitement, apprehension, a sense of wondering, hope, joy, fear.
b) during
Exstatic, dissapointment, joy, tiredness, surprise.
c) at the end/afterwards
Feeling like you completed something, success, failure, joy,

Values? Well, depends on the events really. I expect people to behave in certain ways at certain events.

a)festival
Drugs, Drinks, feeding people, sleeping outside at somepoint. Changing appearance, dancing the night away.
b) concert
Drinking, dancing, metal concerts involve going into a mosh pit, crowd surfing and shouting very loudly. If you do all these things in a mosh pit, you will have friends all around you, looking after other people in the pit is also very important, i.e. if someone falls over, pick them up immediately and try to stop others falling on them. Share your water/beer/spliffs around. Finally in a mosh pit if someone is misbehaving, punching for the face or some such nonsense, everyone will generally let them know they're not welcome and remove them.
c) free party/rave
Share all your supplies, make sure people in a mess get some help, although there's quite a lot of avoidance of people who have had too much, a 'not my problem' kind of mind-set. Share all ya stuff like water and food. Make random performances of fire. Dance lots. Talk to lots of people. Play music (free parties mainly.) Change of appearance.

Whats my normal life? There's things I would do at a festival that I wouldn't do on an underground train, but there isn't anything I do there that I wouldn't do with friends at someones house. I only get a chance to mosh at concerts though, thats for sure.

Sunbeam is the best. All of you scrumpets who have been to festivals, which is most of you I reckon, answer her questions spank

thankyou-please

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
So here goes...

Yes, yes and oh yes

I first went to concert when I was 16. It was elastica, they rocked! and it was so loud that I couldn't go to school the next day cause I couln't hear anything over the ringing in my ears! I remember the physical contact in the mosh-pit and the fun of heckling.

My first festival was V98 when the Prodigy played. I took loads of pro-plus (those were the days...) and went crowd surfing. Ended up dropped on my head and the next thing I know being handed a cup off tea. What got me was the quantity of people that all wanted to get mashed up.

My first free party was a really fluffy squat party in huge house. I remember playing with a balloon with some guy made-up like a cat.

None of the above affect my day-to-day life, except the lack of sleep for the 1/2/3 days afterwards.

Festivals: To get out of 'normal' life and forget the worries for a while. To see people.

Concerts: Cause live music rocks.

Raves: Cause I love being able to dance however I like and nobody judging me.

There ritualisatic aspects. Especially if you start attending an event more than once.

The ritual of a rave, where you hide all illict substances you may have in various places on the body.

The ritual at concert of elbowing people out the way to get to the bar before the next song.

The ritual of packing you bags before a festival, and then shouting 'b*gger' in the car on the way there cause you forgot the tent pegs, is one of my fav rituals.

I try and identify with none, and therefore with all. But by doing so I probably pigeon-hole my self just as much.

a) an individual level
b) a collective level

People see me at this-or-that event will impose their judgment over my identity byt saying oh-he is this-or-that. But I don't see myself like that; I know what I enjoy and if certain other people enjoy it as well, well thats all well and good.

Before: Excitment, apprehension, fear
During: freedom, confusion
After: Loss

Hedonism is the only one that crosses all of the events. I wish there were more, but everybody goes for diferent reasons.

Did so above.

"Normal life"? Me, nah. I dance like a fool in my kitchen. I take illict drugs in my friends living room. I camp in my parents garden. Maybe I would play balloon with a strange guy made up as a cat...

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
This research is ongoing, as I think I'm going to use these interviews as part of my work for my dissertation. So please add your thoughts, comments and responses if you have time. If you prefer your answers to be confidential you can send me them by PM or email. Thanks biggrin

sunny

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
1)Please state which of the following you go to or have been to: festivals, concerts, raves/outdoor parties.

Festivals, Concerts, Raves (legal wink) not so much outdoor parties,

My first one… gods… I can’t remember…

Festivals: a few days away from everything, a community in a field, everyone is wasted and happy, no one cares who you are or any of the usual stuff that people judge you by, you are just another muddy face having fun like everyone else! Also the chance to see so many awesome bands in such a short space of time, and to maybe catch bands/music that you wouldn’t necessarily choose to listen to.

Concerts: not too hot on at the moment, I’m currently much more interested in smaller gigs. Concerts to me are too big, too anonymous, the only reason I really go it to see an awesome band I may not otherwise get a chance to see.

Raves: are open till early morning and I work weekends until 12.00 mostly, so it’s cool that I still get a chance to party after that. I usually go with my “family” my closest friends, and, yes we do take drugs, but I get to spin my glow poi, I get to draw the prettiest patterns on people in UV pen, chill out, and wind down.

I guess in a way they are rituals, especially the raves, everyone comes down to the pub while I am working and starts drinking. At closing time we all go up to the club and hang out there until that closes and our friends who work there are done. Then we all walk up to the rave (always past the same garage to buy chewing gum and bottles of water and orange juice). We always drink tea there and we always go back to Paul and Milo’s house afterwards.

Gods, I love rave, drum and bass, emo, ska, punk, rock… I guess I identify with all and am part of all, but stay myself too.

a) an individual level

Not so much tbh, I will always be who I am. I love these things because of who I am, not the otherway round.

b) a collective level

Yeah I guess it does have an influence on the identity of the “family” because I guess it is at these places that we get loved up, let our defences down and really get to know eachother.

Festival: apprehensive, jittery, psyched, impatient
Concert: non-descript really I guess.
Rave: happy, excited, impatient, content

b) during
Festival: I have no idea, I am usually wasted! Um, just like I belong I guess, like the whole environment is way of life. Filthy also!
Rave: elated, high, how much I love all my friends!

c) at the end/afterwards
Festival: exhausted, tired, grumpy, muddy, disappointed, impatient for the next!
Rave: Usually awesome, go backs to Paul and Milo’s after party, wind down, chill out, and talk absolute nonsense. Talk to people I don’t know etc.

Gods where to start? In what way? In general, no, because there is such a diverse mix of people not all feel the way I do about these events, some people are just there to be seen/scene and that is not what it is about for me. Me personally, I associate, freedom, fun, being myself, no restrictions.

a)festival
Leeds festival – rioting on Sunday night. Sad but it has become a ritual.
Stupid costumes, flags, hats, I always take my festival wellies!
Drink, drugs.

b) concert
dancing, buying merch, drinking I guess.

c) free party/rave
Drugs, glowsticks/uv glowy things, bright colours, dance, TEA!! Hahaha!

Yeah, singing “Happy Birthday” to random people regardless of whether or not it was their birthday, allowing someone to film/take pics of me spinning (I’m still pretty self conscious about it at the moment!)

I think that that will have to just about do for now…!

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
interesting sunbeam, i will pm you when i have thought about it a bit more.
i'm doing ethnobotany so i may have to put forward a similar idea in a years time... what does phytochemistry mean to the average hopper maybe biggrin or perhaps, plant use by fire artistes - that definately has potential, bruises, burns, aches, inspiration, sustainance (for those endurance spins)
sorry, off topic now, cheerio

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
bump

this thread is still current. Further comments welcome.

sunny

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hmm, i seem to have written quite a lot. To clarify something, everything that i have written below is about going to festivals etc as a participant, not as an organiser. I work in festivals and events to an extent, and that's a completely different experience.

Written by: sunbeam

All of the above

Hmmm, so many different experiences in many different ways.

My first outdoor party/rave was outside Edinburgh, when I was 18. I had gone over to the Edinburgh Festival, which in itself changed a lot of things for me - opened me up to new artforms (including seeing fire poi for the first time), made me more confident about approaching new people, and showed me how creative people could be, even with a tiny budget.

Going to the party/rave was one of the things i remember most fondly - i went on my own, with a samba band and a load of fire performers that i had just met while they were busking. (although i myself did not start to spin until later.) I remember thinking that this was a really stupid idea - girl, on her own, goes to party in the middle of nowhere, in a place that she's not familiar with, when she has no way to get home. Luckily, i met some lovely people, danced a bit, climbed a hill with a complete stranger to watch the sun come up...

This was all right after I left school as a shy and awkward teenager, and i think the whole experience made me a lot happier in myself, and taught me that i wasn't alone in the stuff that i liked. I started university a few weeks later, with a very different attitude than I had previously.

That's just one example. When I went to Burning Man in 2004, it really influenced my decision to work in festivals and events, after seeing what people could achieve when they put their minds to it.

To meet like-minded people, and to have new ideas. (this applies to all festivals/concerts/raves ). Every good festival/party/convention that I go to re-focuses me, and i seem to go back to real life with more of a sense of purpose.

If i choose not to go to something it's usually because i'm at something else instead, or am working on a different festival. Sometimes, in the case of concerts and festivals, i just can't afford it. Depending on who is organising a rave/party, and the type of music, if i think it's going to be a very drug-based event, i won't go.

Recently however, i have noticed a disturbing trend in that i don't want to go to any of these kinds of events sometimes, because it's like being in work eek especially at the end of the summer, when i may have worked at a few events in a row.

I haven't really ever thought about it, although i suppose that in a way i do. I find them to be a regenerative experience, and usually will try to watch the sunrise or spend some time alone in a quieter part of the event to think about life. I don't meditate or anything like that, but i do seem to take stock, and be thankful for what i have, and remind myself what i'm working towards. It's not a conscious decision, just something that i seem to have a habit of doing.

Specifically music subcultures? I'm not sure i could really isolate any. My taste is pretty eclectic, and i find that i tend to bump into the same people at events with very different music, so i don't think i'm the only one. Then again, maybe it's just that Ireland is relatively small, and subcultures may be more blurred here because of that.

a) an individual level
b) a collective level

On an individual level, as i suppose i have refered to before, i feel that these events can reinforce my idea of my own identity.

On a collective level, i'm not really sure. I think they reinforce my feeling of community, of belonging somewhere. But at the same time, i tend to hang around the outskirts, as more of an observer than a participant, so they can reinforce my sense of distance from others. Especially if drugs are involved, because then I sometimes feel that i'm not part of the event at all, if everyone else appears to be on the same vibe and i'm not.

Before: slight nervousness and excitement
During: depends, anything from exhileration to comfort.
Afterwards: a slight dread at having to return to real life.

Co-operation and sharing, tolerance and acceptance.
I would also expect to find some similar political beliefs e.g. opposition to the war in Iraq, concern for the environment, concern about human rights etc.

I suppose the gathering itself can be a ritual. Also the idea of losing yourself in music and dance - kind of shamanistic? Recognising and applauding changes in the environment e.g. the cheers at Burning Man when the sun goes down. Here in Ireland, it can be the same if the sun comes out for a change!

Occasionally, i would dress differently or even in costume. And fighting in Thunderdome doesn't tend to happen to me every day...

Sorry for going on and on....i hope this all helps you

smile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile Thanks Helen of Poi, the more the better. The good thing about conducting my research online is I can copy and paste so I don't have to type out my interviews!

Please keep 'em coming. It all helps.

Cheers

biggrin

sunny

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Ok here goes.

All three. I work festies during the summer, I go to the occasional concert usually when the weather decides it's going to be less hospitable (we're talking lightning here) and to free parties whenever we can get to them.

I was about 16 when I hit my first festy, paying punter of course. I thoroughly enjoyed myself but I was still missing something. It really took until last year for me to pull myself out of a rut and wake up once and for all. Coincidentally I worked the Leeds fest, had a great time even though I was staff. The atmosphere as per usual is tinged with expectation, exileration and overall love. Then I met my soulmate, and we've been floating around ever since hitting a few free parties together, worked another festy and now we're in Leeds for the winter. My life has changed beautifully as a result of being with people who will drop their inhibitions and just get on with living.

I go to meet more people, party hard, sometimes work too (very satisfying making sure everyone is safe n happy.

In a way yes. They are free expression for many people. Usually safe to take certain substances in attempt to alter mindstates as have other religions have often involved. They may not be rigorous in nature, but the amount of people showing up to create a 'zone' so to say influence the general atmosphere and energy.

As many as possible. I love DnB, Metal, Punk, Ska, Trance, Rap, Jazz and even some eclectic stuff. I dropped the old stereotypes ages ago.

a) an individual level
b) a collective level

Both. Individally I feel I have something to give people when I am there, be it small talk, 42 convos or a bit of visual amusement and of course lots of love.

Collectively we make a group who's energy pours into making the now even better for everyone.

apprehension, anticipation, curiosity, wondering, hope, nervous

b) during
wonderment, love, rapture, occasionally irritated (at work taking care of people who want to spoil everything), creative, expressive

c) at the end/afterwards
satisfyed, fulfilled, love, craving, clarity, transcendence, yearning

Just that we are all here in the now, as sentient beings persuing love and light.

Drugs- k, acid, E's/mdma, coke, pot- I imagine prepping all these adds to the ritualistic behavior, then obviously to an assortment of heightened perceptions/behaviors or non-behaviors in some case. Most people have some sense when it comes to these and keep some personal moderation in mind. There are some people who proper go for it and end up a wreck. If this is a personal goal then fine.... just don't puke on me.

Free parties excluded.... most people who show up generally look decked out to deal with the conditions.... well most. Festies/Concerts tend to be closer to fashion statements in some peoples minds. Ritualistic queuing perhaps? Slapping on makeup for absolutely no reason? Mudmonsters/mudsliders hehe, definately a tradition. Burning tents (I daresay if I catch anyone here burning tents I'll give you a slap- I double as fire towers crew).... incessant shopping?
Forgetting decent footwear and resorting to plastic bags instead. Exploding gas canisters (please don't do this either). Fishing around post festie for free stuff including beer, drugs and new clothes/tent etc

Uhm no. I'm a 'loonatic' whereever I am biggrin :P ubbloco

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
thanks neb...... and bumpety bump bump

sunny

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
bump

if anyone wants to comment about this topic but not answer the whole questionniare, feel free...

sunny

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to thank everyone who participated in this discussion (and those who sent me their answers) - I just handed in my dissertation today... couldn't have done it without y'all.... cheers muchly

... I might post a link to it if I ever put it up online....

smile yay ubbrollsmile nearly finished uni... just a few exams to go. clap

sunny

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Many super congrats!

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
Do you want to include Pagan Festivals too? I can talk a lot about those, they may be helpful as they're often heavily ritualized.

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

Page: