NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Penn State is wonderful because I can take a tai chi class for credit.

Tai chi is wonderful for a multitude of reasons. All I can say is that anyone with the opportunity to take it should do so.

Even after the first day I feel great. I'm greatly looking forward to how this new discipline will apply itself to my spinning skills.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Good for you I can almost assure you that it will influence your spinning greatly , be it only just teh balance and fluidity.

if you want to read more about taichi / spinning, do a lil search and you will find many topics where we have discussed this and maybe you will want to add to the previous discussions ?

ENJOY

shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Oh Tai Chi is so much fun. I did alittle once before and I am guessing that I have a naturally strong protective chi, seeing as how I was stopping soft slaps from the instructor when I was doing exactly as he told me too, but he thought that I wasn't. I was just completely relaxed my body was literally just a mass of flesh and bone and stuff standing there doing nothing. But it is a power that should never be abused

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
ah...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yes, I love what tai chi teaches. fluidity, power, gentalness

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've been wanting to take up Tai Chi for a while now, but can't find anywhere in the area I can get to to learn it.
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about it, it doesn't look to be anything I can pick up from the internet.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'm starting Tai Chi next tuesday.

Are you guys doing the meditative or the martial arts Tai Chi, or a combo of both?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
Took one year of tai chi study in college. One of the best things I ever did for myself! Good luck.

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
flash, the tai chi that is taught by my school is by one of the masters/grandmasters of tai chi, and he teaches 'soft' tai chi. I was going to start with it but was told that I am too 'hard' in my techniques

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
My tai chi instructor learned from a man who learned from somebody who created the form we are learning. It's rather medatative, though we will be learning simple martial techniques once we get past the halfway point. "Push hands" they were referred to as.

One of the nice things about my never having taken dance or any other martial art is that I don't have any "bad habits" per se as far as stance and posture go. I hear it's pretty difficult to take something like tae kwon do and then try tai chi because you need unlearn basic things like the way you stand.

Bovril, I would suggest searching around town/nearby towns for any place where martial arts are taught. If you can get in touch with some of the instructors then they might have suggestions for where to find a tai chi class.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Starting tomorrow morning 8am (is there really such a time) very exciting.

I'm gunna make me a Meenik

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Fire Monkeymember
176 posts

Posted:
Wow.
I just started tie chie on tuesday, It was loads of fun and i'm very excited about my next lesson.

Every ones a monkey!
Yes even you!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
all i can do is bow in respect to you all, i love my thi chi in a morning on grass!

Step (el-nombrie)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i like my chai tea anytime, cus ima off the grass

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
dude you are in for a treat!

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Tai chi is wonderful! I recommend it to everyone. You'll be surprised at how you'll relax, feel free from fatigue, yet still feel full of energy. It should enhance your spinning as it will create a greater sense of balance and coordination.

There are 3 main different styles, they are all a martial art:

Wu style, Yang style & Chen Style

I don't know much about Chen style, the style I practise is Wu style.

Wu style is known to be the best for health & meditation. It focuses on the developement of 'soft' internal energy (or Yin), an energy for healing both mind and body. Hard energy (Yang) is developed at at later stage. Basicaly Wu style starts with emphasis on Yin, which then naturally produces Yang. Wu style also has much less external motion than Yang style movements. Some people think it doesn't look as pretty, I like to think of it as a more subtle style.

Yang style focuses on hard energy (Yang) from the start and builds physical power.

If you can't find a class in your area then it's not really something you can learn from a book or video. Why not look for a class in 'Qi gong' (Chi Gung) or 'Ba Gua'.

Ba Gua is based on the ancient Chinese text the 'I Ching' and places the same degree of emphasis on internal energy and meditation as does Tai Chi.

Qi gong uses the mind to direct energy in the body. Physical movement can be used but is not required. It's extremely meditative.

Enjoy .....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well I feel really good and as unstressed as I've been in ages I like that I can now practise what I have learnt by myself and am looking forward to my next class.

He told us what style we were doing but unfortunetly, my all new quiet mind isn't any better at remembering stuff.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Incidentally there is also a form of hard Chi Kung (Qi Gung etc.) that we practice which again promotes energy flow but also strengthens muscles and tendons. This is the kind of skill that can lead to iron shirt Chi Kung which is all the boards being broken over heads, axes in stomachs kind of thing.
There is also a "light body" Chi Kung which - quite frankly - is crazy... Our instructor, Ian Armstrong, is quite a figure head for this in the UK and has demonstrated some crazy stuff e.g. Standing on a box of eggs, a brick on his head and then the brick is smashed with a slegde-hammer but the eggs don't break. Mad.

Try a search on the internet for local Tai Chi clubs - there are loads around, and it's best to go to a few as they all tend to be taught slightly differently.
Also, some "normal" Martial Art classes contain an element of soft arts - mine for example teaches Schwang Yang Pei Ho (Sun Frost White Crane) which is similair to Tai Chi but with differnt moves based around our own Tiger-Crane combination (more details at www.namyang.co.uk)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Here's a link that may help you find a class in your area:

https://www.taichifinder.co.uk/

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
dude, thi chi is soo cool when your at a rave an theres a few substances runin through your veins. i do thi chi on tuesday aswell, but im trying to strech out so i can do the splits OWWW. you ever tried spinning doin thi ??

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I haven't no. I know Meenik's mad into such things though and his video's are smoooooth as fruitcake....

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
whos meenicks?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Meenik posts here on HOP. Check out his sitehis site for his videos.

NinaPoistranger
1 post

Posted:
Hello all! I've gotten back into spinning again after a year of not doing much. In the meantime, I've been learning tai chi - 24 and now the 42. I'm so excited to see other spinners who have incorporated tai chi into their spinning style. I find myself doing moves in tai chi where incorporating a spin would be so perfect. I can't wait to merge the two styles together into the ultimate tai-poi, haha. :-)