• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

StacySmith
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

StacySmith

Total posts: 9
Posted:I'm making a simple set of fire fingers, with leather straps, (fitted with a clip so they don't slip off) But the leather is still really stretchy. Is there something I can do to it to get it to tighten up? (the leather...)

Delete Topic

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:Dry it in an oven?

Google it?

umm

shrug

Delete

simian

simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY

Total posts: 3149
Posted:Soaking the leather in water and then baking it should make it shrink, and get harder. I'm pretty sure that anything which makes the leather shrink would make it harder and less flexible too, which may not be what you want.

How much it will be affected at different temperatures is dependent on the leather.

Can't you just make the straps shorter?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

maus
BRONZE Member since Jul 2005

maus

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 4191
Posted:For my fingers i made a spiral out of wire to fit snuggly around the fingertip,then put the leather over the top,
Soaked it in warm salt water then blow dried it.

Bit long winded i know but worked for me!

biggrin

Delete

Ade
SILVER Member since Mar 2001

Are we there yet?

Total posts: 1897
Posted:if you can find bits of wood similar to the thickness of your fingers, you can wet the leather and attach the leather to the wood to size it.

I'm not sure that I'd put it in the oven - have never tried that myself - I would just pop it in a spot to dry naturally. The leather should shrink down from there...

...but I have to ask - why is the leather stretchy in the first place? and how would this work on a set of fire fingers - will they be loose and prone to falling off shrug

Delete

Fire Bunny
SILVER Member since Nov 2003

Fire Bunny

veteran

Total posts: 1260
Posted:o thats a good point hay.

when i made my fingers i got brass tube, and some thinish number 8 fencing wire. i just twisted the wire to fit my fingers and then put the wire up the brass tube. worked really well smile

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

Delete

Point_Blank
GOLD Member since Feb 2005

Point_Blank

Sneaking

Total posts: 1207
Posted:Good old #8 fencing wire, you can do anything with it. Kiwi Ingenuity at its peak eh?

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Owned by clarence_quack

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:Maybe use less strtchy leather and soften it with hot water to make it pliable then put it where you want and let it dry.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete