StacySmithSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
I'm making a simple set of fire fingers, with leather straps, (fitted with a clip so they don't slip off) But the leather is still really stretchy. Is there something I can do to it to get it to tighten up? (the leather...)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dry it in an oven?

Google it?

umm

shrug

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Soaking the leather in water and then baking it should make it shrink, and get harder. I'm pretty sure that anything which makes the leather shrink would make it harder and less flexible too, which may not be what you want.

How much it will be affected at different temperatures is dependent on the leather.

Can't you just make the straps shorter?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
For my fingers i made a spiral out of wire to fit snuggly around the fingertip,then put the leather over the top,
Soaked it in warm salt water then blow dried it.

Bit long winded i know but worked for me!

biggrin

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
if you can find bits of wood similar to the thickness of your fingers, you can wet the leather and attach the leather to the wood to size it.

I'm not sure that I'd put it in the oven - have never tried that myself - I would just pop it in a spot to dry naturally. The leather should shrink down from there...

...but I have to ask - why is the leather stretchy in the first place? and how would this work on a set of fire fingers - will they be loose and prone to falling off shrug

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
o thats a good point hay.

when i made my fingers i got brass tube, and some thinish number 8 fencing wire. i just twisted the wire to fit my fingers and then put the wire up the brass tube. worked really well smile

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Good old #8 fencing wire, you can do anything with it. Kiwi Ingenuity at its peak eh?

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Maybe use less strtchy leather and soften it with hot water to make it pliable then put it where you want and let it dry.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu