Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Disclaimer: This is not intended to flame into anything nor is it written to do anything but inform. Please read this with an open mind or do not read it at all.

Today I sat through a rather long brief about chemical attacks, threat conditions, reactionary procedures, things of that nature. At the begining of the brief we were shown a servailance video, taken a few years ago, approx. a year before 9/11. It was shot by men planning a terrorist attack on Amercian sailors as they boarded busses to be taken to their ship. (I will refrain from stating the country that the ship was docked in)

The video showed what their plan could be, they had talked about putting explosives in a box on the back of a bike and parking it next to the bus area.

This was a real video and the tape of it that I saw was from a news cast from that country by local news agencies. So there was no dramitization.

It got me thinking of the attack on the WTC, and I realised that what happend two Septembers ago was not an attack on America, true it happend on our soil but the World was attacked that day. People of all race and nationality were killed. That in itself is overwhelming.

18 (or so) motivated people and a few hundred thousand dollars and the world was attacked. That kinda puts things in a new perspective.

Well I am not here to talk about the WTC attacks, that was just a point I wanted to share.

Anyhow my main topic is the chemical attacks that can happen very easily.

MCAS Iwakuni and the city of Iwakuni Japan, are surrounded by chemical factories. If I remember the map correctly it was something like 3 to the north and 4 to the south, all within a 10km of us.

Whats around you?

The chances of an attack on the base that I am on is rather slim. An attack on those chemical factories is a whole lot more likly.

Only the attack would not kill just the pepole on the base, it would kill those all around us, the families that live on and off the base. Women, men, kids, animals are all potential targets.

I beg of you, find out what is around you and what the officials would do incase something bad were to happen.

Buy gas masks, resperators, plastic to cover the windows and doors in your home.

Take mesures to protect yourself and those that you love.

Please dont be fooled into thinking that it cant happen to you, because it doesnt have to be a malicius attack. It could be an accidint. We all know that accidents happen. It could be an earthquake, statistically Japan is overdue for a major earthquake!

Please be smart, think about what is around you and what could happen if something were to happen.

Thats all I have to say, I will of course try to answer any lagitimate questions that you might have. I dont have all the answers and please remember this is to inform not flame.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, well most of Dublin is aware of the monstrosity called Sellafield which the English Government so kindly but right next us.

I can't bitch too much about it cause I don't know enough about it but it I did I would, cause I do know that every Irish person hates it. A major problem their would make most of Ireland uninhabital and a few months ago a tabloid managed to get hired there with no background check done on him, very few questions asked and he gained access to the most restricted parts of it. I can't remember but I think the guy they sent in had some kind of dodgey criminal record or something.

Sellafield stepped up security after that from what I remember. Anyway yea, your deadright, even countries who claim to be neutral and have nothing to do with this shit could be screwed over.

[ 17. January 2003, 06:06: Message edited by: deepsoulsheep ]

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I doubt that anyone is going to be attacking Ann Arbor. Perhaps if I lived in a big city, I might take these precautions, but I just doubt that it's going to happen in Ann Arbor.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
quote:
which the english so kindly but right next us
Look if you've got issues with a particular people as a whole, this isn't the place for them.

Ok it may have been placed there by the British government, but I personally take your comments as offensive because I'm tired and having a bad day, there are those that will just take offence because it's how they are.

Would you personally prefer 3 or 4 coal/oil burning power stations? or Can you suggest an alternative? in fact Can you be constructive in that issue at all or are you just having a pop at the British?

As far as I was aware you can't cause a nuke explosion by blowing up a nuke power/processing plant, it takes nuclear acceleration getting out of control, but then what the fuck do I know?

Ray:- I think you're just used to people arguing with you, I think your post was a valid one.....I plan top go live on top of a mountain for a bit if it all goes wrong...........

[ 17. January 2003, 04:49: Message edited by: SmallBoy ]

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Anyone see the story on the news/ in the paper about the Greens (Anarchists or activists - what ever) who walked into one of the nuke plants (sellafield or sizewell b- can't remember) and painted 'danger' on one of the stacks? May I congratulate them on bringing to our attention what lacisdasical security they were operating - the story in the Sun (so it must be true ) was that they just walked in waving to the guards...

Makes you think dunnit?

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by SmallBoy:
As far as I was aware you can't cause a nuke explosion by blowing up a nuke power/processing plant, it takes nuclear acceleration getting out of control, but then what the fuck do I know?
SmallBoy, you can't cause a nuclear explosion, per se, but you can make a royal mess. Because although the explosion wouldn't be nuclear, you would be spreading radioactive material all over the place.

The explosion at Chernobyl wasn't a nuclear explosion, but because the explosion happened in a reactor, radioactive material was spread far and wide and...oh my lord...the mess...oh, the mess!

-Mike

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Hear what you're saying Ray, but what can you do? I don't mean this in a passive manner i.e. the worlds all screwed, so what the hell can I do - I think everyone should do what they feel necessary ( and a bit more than that in most cases ), but living with bin liners ready to wrap around yoour doors and windows, gas masks in the cupboard and 10 years supply of corned beef locked in the bomb shelter out the back strikes me as slightly bizarre and excessive. At some point you surely have to decide to just get on with your life and hope a little ( or a lot )...

Don't worry, be happy...

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Raymund,

Am I right in thinking that you were at a military presentation/brief? I agree that what you have said is true about nearby dangers and the footage you saw was very real, but looking past this, is it not a verbal indoctrination that you have just been through in order to heighten your efforts and interests in the war against terrorism the US believes it is fighting?
To me you sound very concerned and motivated, and if that was their objective they've certainly achieved it. But their motivation is a different question.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I have edited my post so as not to offend you Smallboy.

You are right it was the English government put it there and I said "English" because I typed the post without previewing it and for that I apologise.

And Yes I have a problem with all English people considering I was born in London. I have now taken offense by your completely unnecessary reaction.

My point if you read it stands though. It is a prime target for terrorists as was pointed out by the press (Me and Miss Stix are talking abouthe same thing) and just because it doesn't create a nuclear explosion doesn't mean it doesn't cause nuclear contamination carried for miles by winds.

And my MAIN point which you refuse to even acknowledge is why should one country have to worry about it's safety because of another countries actions. To put it simply one country paying a price for something that has nothing to do with them.

As for do I have any alternatives yes...put it next to your capital, not mine. BTW Sellafield doesn't generate power....

quote:
British bid to rescue nucleur deal
It's been reported that Britain's Trade and Industry Secretary, is seeking an urgent meeting with the German Environment Minister, to discuss Bonn's decision to cancel nuclear reprocessing contracts worth some £1.2 billion. Today's Guardian newspaper reported that the German government, which includes Green ministers, has unilaterally scrapped plans to reprocess 2,000 tonnes of spent nuclear fuel at the Sellafield plant over the next ten years. The decision could place Sellafield's long term viability in jeopardy
THis shipment was identified as a potential terrorist target...Sellafield

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
what concerns me more than any thing right now, is this RICIN scare, 1 small amount of this substance the size of a grain of salt can kill many a grown man.
what concerns me more is that itsa a little close to home for most of us here on HOP in the UK, as recent findings in london, and only 2 days ago in manchester where 3 more north african men stabbed to death a police man and seriously wounded 2 others due to their own stupidity, RICIN was found on the premisess.
This makes me think, how much of this chemical is here in the UK, my neighbours could have a small quantity for all i know.
how well do we know this world? how controled can this world be? how can this world be governed, why can we all not just get along and forget all this poilitical nonsense.

thats my quarter.

[ 17. January 2003, 08:57: Message edited by: PK [Dreadlocked-Rasclat] ]

2,905 posts

Posted:
Okay, get the idea of an attack out of your head. What if there was a natural disaster, do you have a way to protect yourself if say an earthquake happend and cracked open that chemical plant?

What if a train derailed next to your house and was carrying chemicals?

Forget about terrorisim for a second and look at those way more probable events.

All I wanted to do was alert you all to a possible hazerd.

There is absolutly nothing you can do as a civilian to stop a terrorist attack, short of reporting anything that might look suspicius. I would rather look like an ass and be wrong then be dead and not have done something!

Salinger, I understand why you might think that. I need to enphisise that there are more than just Marines here on this base. Marines and Sailors have their families and the base is also shared with Japenese Air Force personel.

This brief was given to all personel, including civilian employies and DOD dependents (family members).

It was not a hyped up let go get em type brief. If we had one of those, believe me I wouldnt be posting it here.

All I wanted was to place the idea that there might be a danger near you and that perhaps you should get a few supplies together. At the absolute worst you will waste a bit of cash. On the other end of the spectrum, you could save your life!

Think about it folks, and be smart and stay alive!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund:

What if a train derailed next to your house and was carrying chemicals?

Funny you should mention that, Ray.

I have a train track RIGHT next to my bedroom window. I mean not 10 meters away.

That train ever jumps the rail while I'm in my room, whether it's carrying uranium, hydrofluoric acid, or baby blankets, it'll jump right into bed with me. I'll be dead before I even know what hit me.

And because the track curves by hour house, regardless of which way the train is going, if it hops, it hops into my room. Centripital acceleration and all that jazz.

-Mike

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
thank god i live at the top of a valley, it wont flood, no trains run by, perhaps an angel in heaven may drop a turd and it demolishes my house and kills all that live here. just a thought.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Well what can I say? Mike... move!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Nah, it's all very exciting, Ray. How many people can honestly say they take their lives into their hands whenever they go to bed?

-Mike

2,905 posts

Posted:
It all depends on who you are sleeping with Mike!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i second that thought!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:

Salinger, I understand why you might think that. I need to enphisise that there are more than just Marines here on this base. Marines and Sailors have their families and the base is also shared with Japenese Air Force personel.

This brief was given to all personel, including civilian employies and DOD dependents (family members).

It was not a hyped up let go get em type brief. If we had one of those, believe me I wouldnt be posting it here.

All I wanted was to place the idea that there might be a danger near you and that perhaps you should get a few supplies together. At the absolute worst you will waste a bit of cash. On the other end of the spectrum, you could save your life!

Think about it folks, and be smart and stay alive!

Fair enough points mate, and diplomatically written, good luck with it all.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
quote:
find out what is around you and what the officials would do incase something bad were to happen.
Well the Queen would hole up in her chemical bunker, as would all the politicans leaving the rest of us to rot from whatever crap had infected us all

If you don't laugh, you'll cry

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think the best thing we could possibly do in these times is panic and overreact. This way the terrorists deaths will not be in vain and future terrorist attacks will be much more effective. Perhaps we should start doing "duck and cover" drills again just to completely panic our children as well.

Sentences like "Buy gas masks, resperators, plastic to cover the windows and doors in your home" must make Osama grin from ear to ear.

The world isn't any more dangerous than it was 3, 5, 10 or 20 years ago. Stop buying what the media is feeding you.

Wanna live longer? Stop smoking, don't drive drunk, eat heathy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
It all depends on who you are sleeping with Mike!
Point.

-Mike

2,905 posts

Posted:
Your right NYC, millions live through each night in New York, hell that is an achievment in its own right.

I would rather spend a few bucks and not need what I buy than, need what I didnt buy, because I thought I was being paniked into some feeding frenzy.

Like I said, ignore terrorisim, think as if it were a natural desaster. Something that is even less predictable than an idiot with some manuer in the back of a truck.

Then again I dont think NYC was ever in BSA, not a believer in Be Prepared I take it.

[ 18. January 2003, 05:20: Message edited by: Raymund ]

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
quote: "bush is another word for censored"

i think ive already posted it but it needs reiteration...(found on a sticker on a trach can in london)...

if one little insecure man pushes(meaphorically) a little red button, another little insecure man will push his little red button and so on and so forth but the point is i hope every one has spf 10million handy cause its goin to get really hot on this little island we so apply named earth...

my thoughts: hopefully this does not happen in our lifetimes, hopefully it will never happen at all because i for one have i very simple veiw on life itself, have fun within reason, and i know reason is relative etc etc but u all know what i mean i want to get married(once or twice---jokes) have the ickle firelings and interact on a rather emmense personal level with all those who wish to... to life within is to to without and to live amongst all you beautiful people in a day so advanced that i can takl to you from accross the globe is a wonderous thing,... we all ahve our own agendas i dont think that mine is to bad of one...

what about ur own?

mythmitch

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Then again I dont think NYC was ever in BSA, not a believer in Be Prepared I take it.
Ray, I'm an Eagle Scout and I do take reasonable precautions. I have a flashlight in a spot in my closet that I can find blindfolded (i.e. in case the power goes out), I check our fire extinguishers, I carry a small one with me when I perform, I carry a Leatherman in my pocket (comes in handy a LOT) and a First Aid kit in my car and even a mouth-to-mouth mask in my backpack.

Having said that, you can't prepare for EVERYTHING.

You have to expect the unexpected, yeah, but our scoutmaster always taught us that "Having said that, don't forget to expect the expected, too!"

-Mike

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Mike, have i ever told you you are silly?

Useful, but silly.

Btw, i was affected by a train crash in MI already, so i think you should move from that house at somepoint! At least another room.... Think how much nicer it would be not to hear the damn thing

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

2,905 posts

Posted:
That was not supposed to be an attack on NYC, extreemly sarcastic but not an attack.

Your right, you cant prepare for everything, but why not scratch one more thing off the list?