Page:
CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
I put tails on my homemade poi and since doing so I can't seem to learn any new moves and I can no longer do buzzsaw (my fav move!). Has anybody else had trouble when they've used tails or am I just having a bad week? I'm tempted to cut them off but they are so pretty! ubbidea

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Personally i hate tails....yeah they look pretty,
But if your just learning they make evrything a lot harder...
...and they whip you in the face when you're doing the buzzsaw sometimes...

...and they tangle...

Yeah cut em off!

wink

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
Oh good, it's not just me being [censored] then lol. Can I have some more opinions? come on ppl! tongue

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Think its a bit early in the morning for too many hoppers to be up...might be better to check back in a few hours!! ubblol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
how long are the tails? Long tails are cr*p for doing tricks like that, and dont even attempt any tangles! try shortening the tails, it may let you get away with a buzzsaw! I have different poi for different tricks - my socks for wraps and tangles, tails for long arm prettyness, but then i have my fluffies that are a general all rounder!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
There comes a time in every spinners life when you realise you're not really gonna progress past the three beat weave really fast stage, or learn anything other than reels without getting rid of the tails...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Nah thats not true, tails make poi difficult but if you can learn with tails (some of the more harder poi) then its something to be proud of. If you can detatch your tails take them off and spin with them occasionaly but people have said that after they cut off there tails they start to miss them.

Ide recomend buying another set of poi without tails, you can never have enough poi weavesmiley

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I hate spinning with tails, my tailed poi haven't been taken out of my bag since the first week I got them...the first week I started spinning, I don't regret not using them.

Of course I would advise using socks instead of my approach of buying fire poi to use and practice with straight away. Play taught me to love sock poi though.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Its not the the actual tails Im not too keen on, its generally the string that everything is held together with. Its about 18.3 times harder to tangle with strings than socks or cones.
String blisters your fingers much quicker too due to its reduced thickness too.

shrug

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
I don't get why everyone's so against tails. Sure, they slap you in the face occasionally, but it beats a black eye from a monkey fist. Mind you, short fat tails are horrible to spin with. I prefer cobras...

I like to learn with something easier then use flags or tails when I'm showing off. Tails don't make poi difficult. They just show up all your errors a hell of a lot more. You might only be slightly out of plane, but it'll be painfully obvious if you're spinning with tails.
In other words, use them to polish moves that you can already do (using tails was how I learned to keep my 3bt nice and smooth), but don't use them to learn new ones.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, I tried hyperlooping with tails the other week and it was easy...

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and Airwraps?
biggrin

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Heh... I think airwraps are just generally a pain, tails or otherwise. biggrin

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
wink

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
tails = gooood. really should buy myself some...

airwaps with tails are really hard unless youve got shortish tails. hyperloops work okay. antipsin feels like it looks excellent with tails.. (was playing with some earlier... not sure if ive seen anyone else antispinning tails... theres a shortage of tailed poi spinners frown )antispin buzzsaw is a fun one to try ubbrollsmile the also felt wicked for doing inversions and stuff although i reckon if you tails are too long this would be problematic. i learnt (my first reallllly sketchy) isolations with tails... makes learning them easy cos all you have to do is try to grab the end of the other pois tail...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
i love tails and they are the reason i started spinning along with fire of course. they are so pretty but they are a pain in the ass. i kinda hindered myself( or thats my excuse anyways) for ages for refusing to use anything but tails. if u wanna stick with tails i would recomend u practice new moves with sommat like socks to get u there then spin those tails baby cos they are the best you know. x

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
love my tails it's really hard but u see all the mistakes and i learn how to fix them better

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I hate my tails, they were the first poi I got and I used them for a week or two before just buying a couple of pairs of fire poi.

They've not been out of my bag since then, I just practiced with fire poi untill Play when I was converted to socks.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
I hate tails too.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Bah.. you silly folk.. Tails are lots of fun.. Of course, as with any poi things, the materials do make a difference. First off, if you have strings, get freakin rid of them!! Strings are evil. Go get yourself some ball chain, makes it much more lovely.

I use Zuni poi with pretty long tails and don't have too much of a problem with stuff. I can accomplish just about everything I can do with the tails, including airwraps, barrel rolls, atomic barrels (just started since it's all the rage, so they're not the prettiest, but doable), isolations..

I'll make a vid if wanted.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Go tails! Hyperloops and such a harder with tails of course, but they make the rest of your spinning so much better. I agree, they do polish your form and what not, but they also teach you to be more graceful! Besides, who needs to do a buzz saw, it's horribly overdone.

Try doing some btb with tails, it's always a crowd pleaser. The audience doesn't know the science behind poi, they just want something colorful and pretty to look at. While fluffy poi are fun for learning, for showing off they're bad.

So in my opinion... tails rock... yeah that's about it ^_^

Don't mind me, just passing through.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
You just have to hit airwraps and hyperloops much harder with tails than other poi.

They are irritating (and I hardly ever use them) but most things are possible.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I don't know, I quite like tails. I I can hyperloop and airwrap with tails, however, the string hurts like hell when you're doing short poi stuff...so for most of the time I use my socks, cos they're just fun!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i learnt almost everything i know with poi with tail poi biggrin

to those who say tails suck, spin an antispin flower with tails then tell us they are crap (if you haven't already fallen over from how pretty it looks that is tongue).

and no-one could deny that they are pretty damn useful for teaching, since you can see a whole section of the arc that the poi head has traced.

check out icons little vids for an example of how much clearer tails can make things...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I could deny they are pretty damn useful for teaching.

I wouldnt be right though wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I also don't like how light they are.

When I spin antispin with them, the tennis balls really aren't weighty to help you spin them, and because they're so light you have to spin harder and faster. I like spinning slow, but not so slow that the head falls to the floor...

The amount of times I've screwed up a tangle with tails, and had to spend ages trying to get the bloody things to untangle again.

I also like shorter poi, and getting tails to the length I prefer involves lots of knotting the string, and blisters on the fingers...

What really bugs me, is I spin my HoP sock poi at a convention, and people ask what they are, because they're not 'proper poi' and say that I wouldn't be able to do all that stuff with 'proper poi'. WTF are 'proper poi' anyway? confused

Every different type of poi has its advantages, I suppose...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lousy_Trucking_Car

Every different type of poi has its advantages, I suppose...

Agreed. And it is good thing to switch from type to type as to not get locked into one kind and limit your skills or pigeon hole yourself.

BTW, I am pro-tails...though I did take Sui's advice and take my tail heads off of the strings so I can switch out my ball chain b/w my fluffies and my tails. String's way too tangly.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: JayKitty

Go tails! Hyperloops and such a harder with tails of course, but they make the rest of your spinning so much better. I agree, they do polish your form and what not, but they also teach you to be more graceful! Besides, who needs to do a buzz saw, it's horribly overdone.

Clubs are better than tails for polishing your form up a little. You don't have the luxury of a string that'll let you get away with dodgy planes and the like.

Written by: coleman

and no-one could deny that they are pretty damn useful for teaching

I do, unless you're teaching someone who already has a basic level of control. If you're teaching complete beginners then they spend more time untangling tail poi more than actually learning something.
Not wanting to pimp out clubs too much, I find they're much better for demonstrating something too, because you can go much slower than you can with tails or any other poi.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Clubs are better than tails for polishing your form up a little.

Clubs do not translate well for me since I use finger loops and rely heavily on finger movements for control. Because the grip is so different for clubs (or because I don't know how to swing them correctly), they are almost useless for working out anything I would do with poi.

- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Written by: coleman

and no-one could deny that they are pretty damn useful for teaching

I do, unless you're teaching someone who already has a basic level of control. If you're teaching complete beginners then they spend more time untangling tail poi more than actually learning something.

i meant the person doing the teaching using the tails bov smile

if i had meant they make learning easier i would have said "they are pretty damn useful for learning" or something wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lousy_Trucking_Car

. WTF are 'proper poi' anyway? confused

Fire poi.. wink