Forums > Social Discussion > Trafalgar Square is a NO ZONE for poi or staff

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
jus lettin you know....the area cretins refrain you from staffing or poiing.....yes....my fluffy poi could endanger somes one's life.......even when im in a clear area with the nearest ppl smooching away on the bench 10 metres away...whats your views on such cretins? I know theyre right to a certain extent but constantly harrassing me to "move along" and get of of the area seems a bit harsh. confused

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Up

Mr Majestik
tryhard apathetic

Member #6867
Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: under down under

Mr Majestik is a Nostralian HOPper smile

Aha. You see I assumed that someone who was 'down under' would be in Oz, but someone who was 'under down under' would be in Europe (sort of like a double negative).

The tea party sounds exciting though. Are there mad hatters in attendance?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sixth

no hash brownies for you offtopic offtopic offtopic

woah, easy now ubblol

or there'll be no doughnuts and coffee for you either tongue

anyone know what authority they have?

asking them exactly what their level of authority is and asking to see it documented tends to get right up jobsworth's noses - especially when they don't actually have any authority at all wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Ok so I just had a quick look for some info on Trafalgar Square- apparently, the Square is "not a public space, but is private property of the GLA".

GLA being the Greater London Authority. Who ever they are.

So it seems the Square has it's own bye laws. One of them states that people are prohibited to " organise or take part in any assembly, display, performance, representation, parade, procession or theatrical event". Unfortunately, I think you could easily plop poi/staff/juggly stuff quite easily into that category- even if you were just practising, rather than officially performing.

I also seems that these Heritage Wardens do have the right to remove you, and demand your name/address. As this is written in the bye laws, I guess refusal to comply would be breaking the law and therefore grounds for arrest.

Oh, and just in case you were tempted, you can't feed the birds, wash/dry any clothing or fabric, or ride any animal.
shrug

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
awwww i and i wanted to feed my dog some pigeons... frown

then again miss rules were made to be broken biggrin

see me on the evening news some time next month when i get back to London angel

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
all those byelaws also apply to parliamnent square too, iirc.

being asked to leave one of the squares for spinning by yourself is a tenous interpretation of those laws i reckon.

but, like most sets of byelaws, there is very likely to be a clause in there somewhere that says "if a policeman [or someone with localised authority, like our beloved heritage wardens in this case] decides that you are in breach of one of the byelaws, you have to do what they say" i.e. however they wish to interpret the laws, you can't argue :boohiss:

still worth pushing your luck though.

especially if you study and take a copy of the byelaws with you smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
yes ..yes..i could picture myself dragging a suitcase full of lawbooks and sitting down discussing law all day...tbh....that would kill me....or it would kill someone clap

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
even better then - ask where the official boundaries of the square are, move to the bit closest to where you were and carry on spinning there.

and make sure they can see you smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Surprisingly, they managed to write only a few concise laws stating how you are not allowed to do pretty much anything. Not much reading..... www.london.gov.uk/mayor/trafalgar_square/byelaws_nov02.jsp

...if the link works.

XLenX

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep, the "you have to do what the wardens/police say" clause is in there:

Written by: stoopid byelaws

Acts prohibited within the Squares

3(7) No person shall within the Squares fail to comply with a reasonable direction given by an authorised person to leave the Squares

grrr.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
as a matter of fact i will do just that but come to think of it...embankment has some nice places to spin

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Yup. I reckon the spinning just outside the boundaries is a good one- if you want to prove a point.

Sixth, you may feel that rules are there to be broken- but get arrested? Doing poi?? It does sound ridiculous but unfortunately they have stated quite clearly that it is "prohibited".

The whole thing seems so stupid it kind of does make me want to challenge them... but if they really are that uptight about these rules then I wouldn't want to risk getting a criminal record over it...

XLenX

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
fortunately for me I was always good at escape and evade not that im going to tell you my secret hiding spots in london but its easy to outwit the police + it helps if your an architecture student + free running...having said all this...im just gonna do it n e ways...yes im that stubborn....Ill do it until i get told to clear off bah im going to hyde park.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
of course you could hire out the entire thing having really annoyed them over it and do it anyway devil

or you could do the really sensible thing and come spinning with us on clapham common ubbloco tongue

back

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Clapham blows wink
Move the clapham common spin to Trafalgar square.
Its bound to be quiet on Sundays, and if we make it a weekly thing, the authorities will know we are coming and not bother us wink

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
hmm there must be a place in london...wait i got it! i think i may have a place.....but its a pigeon poo bombing site its the green patches of grass opposite the odeon!

why change? :
Hagendaze opposite
restaurants plentiful + fastfood
nearby cash machines
(ive seen ppl sunbathing there...so should be ok) spank
7 mins walk away from charring cross station
nearby bus routes
opposite capital radio biggrin
a nearby fountain to jump into incase stop drop and roll doesnt help.helpubbrollsmile

bad points:
too many people
over-zealous pigeonsangeleek
old ppl sitting nearby
sufficient room for maybe 20 ppl spinning
fire maybe out of the questiondevil

meh what do you think? ill probably drop by clapham...hmm June?
bah wait for me ill go test the site out

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im not spinning in Leicester Square for the following reasons..
no wait. wrong thread. offtopic

*shakes head in utter disbelief that he cant find a ball spherical enough to roll down a flight of stairs*

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
I think the point about spinning, or juggling, or what ever you want to do, in traflagar square is the privatisation (and subsequent santiation) of public space.

Reclaim the streets!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sixth

jus lettin you know....the area cretins refrain you from staffing or poiing.....yes....my fluffy poi could endanger somes one's life.......even when im in a clear area with the nearest ppl smooching away on the bench 10 metres away...whats your views on such cretins? I know theyre right to a certain extent but constantly harrassing me to "move along" and get of of the area seems a bit harsh. confused

Not sure how it works in England, but around here an "Officer, exactly what law am I breaking?" is probably not out of line.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
or i can take the "Dave Chappelle" approach.....Officer...I didn't know I couldnt do that ubblol

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: will_uk

Written by: Up

Mr Majestik
tryhard apathetic

Member #6867
Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: under down under

Mr Majestik is a Nostralian HOPper smile

Aha. You see I assumed that someone who was 'down under' would be in Oz, but someone who was 'under down under' would be in Europe (sort of like a double negative).

no, by under down under i mean literally underneath mainland Australia, Tasmania, the second colonised state in Australia, is an island with a population of around 500 000.

Written by: medusa

I think you might find it hard to get to spin outside parliament house in Canberra, Australia, which is where Mr Majestik I believe is talking about....

good guess, but i mean (state) parliment house in Tasmania, you'd probably get shot for attempting to spin fire on the lawns at Canberra, even though they do have perfectly manicured grass and the actual parliment is supposedly bomb proof.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

Written by: stoopid byelaws

Acts prohibited within the Squares

3(7) No person shall within the Squares fail to comply with a reasonable direction given by an authorised person to leave the Squares

grrr.

Emphasis mine.

I'm definately up for argueing that being asked to move on despite not breaking any laws and doing nothing wrong isn't a reasonable direction.

I feel a letter to Ken Livingstone coming on. Hopefully I'll get a sensible reply.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CmkBSILVER Member
Justme
114 posts

Posted:
how time have changed. I remember as a kid buying bird seed to feed the birds in Trafalgar Square. I think they might be afraid that you might play a game called bash the tourist..... hummmm new game....... no thats bad sorry.
I think a letter to Ken and to the City of Westminster. you can get more people to play with poi. ubbrollsmile

weavesmiley

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
We could make a petition with lots of HoPpers from round the world saying they'd HATE to come and visit London and see it acts that close-mindedly towards the performing arts, or something like that, but in fancier words wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
you could. and mention that in Tasmnaia we are allowed to spin on Parliment house lawns. *nods* is good smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
haha....I tested my theory two weeks ago....one of the wardens was about to cross the road....took a second look and walked off!....yay for spinning!

This be the Trafalger Square Boundary Theory aka TSBT Monkey theory :P

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Would anyone be up for meeting at Trafalgar square for a bit of spinning and juggling on the 2nd of July?

Bascially, I want to actually speak with a warden about it in person and ask them what their reasons for moving us on are.
I'm considering taking 'We are not busking and this is not an organised performance. We just want to have fun.' signs with me in case they try to use those reasons to get rid of us.

If we then get moved on anyway, I was thinking about heading down to the Mall, since it's closed to traffic on sundays, so we could have a spin with buckingham palace in the background. I'm after getting reasonably close, but not close enough to annoy the men with rifles wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I'm up for it, bov smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I dont see how people juggling or doing poi is any different to pavement artists and caricaturists that you get at trafalgar square

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I'm probably being ignorant, but I just can't see the attraction of Traf. Sq. myself confused Far too much concrete frown

The fact that several hundred skaters are allowed to roll across London, on self-policed routes, that the organisers have set themselves, with the knowledge and consent of the Metropolitan & City of London Police forces and the Royal Parks AND do it not merely once, but up to THREE TIMES A WEEK in the Summer (oh, the bliss) just goes to show what CAN be achieved with a bit of patience, negotiation and finding the right people to talk to wink

Why not try the people who run Covent Garden to begin with? It's only down the road and there's a huge open space at one end, normally reserved for buskers / performers and which is normally clear of the public. You never know, you might be able to get them to make some space for a monthly / fortnightly / weekly session, if nothing else is on.

I'm no expert at organising events, but it's clear that Traf. Sq. is already used for a number of public gigs, which attract large crowds and which have so far passed off safely AFAIK - so in theory a few spinners shouldn't be too much of a problem, if it's tacled the right way by the right people. Maybe it would be worth just popping by the Square one day and having a polite and friendly chat with a few of the wardens. Ask (hypothetically, like) who you would need to get in touch with if you happened to be thinking of organising a semi-regular public "display / workshop" sort of thing. See what they say and take it from there; there has to be a way somehow.

Even if Traf. Sq. is unattainable at the moment, there are plenty of public places in central London where you can possibly spin unhindered. I had a couple of little tryouts last week for about 45 mins from 19:00 before the skates; in Hyde Park (by the Serpentine Road) on Wednesday and by the Wellington Arch (in Hyde Park Corner) on Friday. Nobody asked me to move on and several passing tourists took photographs smile

I think one thing that everybody can do this Summer, though, is just get out there in the sunshine and start spinning where it can be seen by as many people as possible. Make it a regular sight around town, a part of the landscape, so that people get used to it and don't feel threatened by or afraid of it (like they were with skaters, 10-12 years ago). Maybe a couple of places will start to attract more people and grow into something bigger over time (a bit like the skateboarders on the South Bank).

But if someone "in authority" (no matter how menial it is) asks you to move on, please don't get all confrontational - you'll only get the rest of us a bad reputation; apart from which they probably get paid cr*p enough wages as it is, without having to take any more cr*p from you wink Just move along quietly and find somewhere else to spin and eventually you'll be left alone.

peace

It may stop, but it never ends.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The thing is, we already have somewhere to meet regularly - clapham common.

I'm not after a regular meeting in Trafalgar Square, and certainly nothing organised to the level that requires proper planning, or anything to do with displays or workshops.

Basically, I just want to be able to spin and juggle there if I feel like it smile

At the moment, the bylaws say that unless you have written permission (probably paid for), you can't solicit money, perform or do any physical exercise that disturbs people.
Since I'll not be busking or performing and I'll make sure I'm out of the way, I don't see which bylaw I'd be breaking.

In the end, it just boils down to being moved on because a heritage warden's decided that he didn't like the look of it, which is just plain wrong in my eyes.

I really don't plan on trying to wind up anyone there, but I do want to have a chat with them, hoping to find out exactly why they want to move us on

Page: