Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Everyone you meet seems to have a celebrity as a good mate or family relative. Well, nearly everyone. Just curious as to who in theory we could contact here if we wanted some celebrity kudos. Ok, if we wanted some celebrity kudos.
They have to be your claims to fame (not "My mums' best mates' dad knows..." etc.) and they have to be true

1) Reuben (www.wordsfromreuben.com) - Guy, the drummer. Good friend, and I've drum-teched for him once or twice

2) Kym Marsh (ex-hear'say) - I audtioned for her (Hey! It's a job!) but didn't get it.

3) Darius - Likewise, audtioned but didn't get it

4) Direct (ish..) family link to Sir Francis Drake

5) My sister went to Uni with Brian May's son and my old guitarist is in a band with John Deacon's son, so in theory I could jam with 2/3 of the remaining Queen... (Ok, so it's no a direct link, but it's still cool)

6) I've met and hung out with Saddam Hussains nephew - who, incidently, is a very nice guy. As is his body guard and chauffer.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I've gotta sat that's a very nice temple indeed. Is it Jewish?

oops, sorry Durbs, straying off track here! My other claim to fame is throwing up all over Bergerac (John Nettles) as a baby!!!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
the then girlfriend of the most famous German producer almost raped me (and I'm a girl !)
and he gave me a $50.00 tip when i served his vodka.
partied with the guys from inxs

hmm, better protect the privacy of the others i've met

except that ass from NATO who spiked my drink in the airplane

Why?

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Oh I also forgot to mention that Trippy head butted my cousin that I have never met, and probably never will

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Sexy Chickmember
27 posts

Posted:
Well, lets see, i have danced with Andy Roddick, A very HOT tennis player, and I gave James Blake a blue rose, he is yet a another very hot tennis player and on the peoples magizines 50 sexiest men alive list

Walking slowly through the rain...Without worries theres no pain...If you see a shooting star...All your problems seem so far.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
ummm..
ok

my uncle knows Jimmy barnes and the guy that started mambo

my year 7 P.E teacher was the winner of the Australian gladiators (not one person in our class forgot there change of clothes for the whole year)

missie

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
}??nally posted by Salinger:
I've gotta sat that's a very nice temple indeed. Is it Jewish?[/QUOTE]

Yawp!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Salinger:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeGinny (Lightning):
[qb]

I do know most of the big names in dnb and I know the boys from the Happy Mondays pretty well too. That's my contribution!

so dose me mate errile he grew up on the old kent
got to meet the streets when they where here in australia resently through him

going to meet roni siz when he's out in a couple of months throug the E man to

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

Sweet Pixiemember
24 posts

Posted:
What a cool topic.....Wish i had been in movies and stuff, and met Bill Gates!!!!

I have met the singer from Incubus (Brandon), and i have partied with Bic Runga ( A New Zealand singer who is becoming well known in other countries now) and i am a very distant relative of Robert the Bruce ( Guy from some time long ago who is now talked about in history classes and stuff, he was actually quite famous, can't remember what for though!!!)
And next week in going to see John Edwards ("Crossing Over") and im going to meet him and in Feb im going to Pearl Jam and i am so going to meet Eddie Vedder!!!!! (I wish!!)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched...they must be felt with the heart...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Gary Barlow lives opposite my house.

Jo Derry spoke to me once.

I've met PK.

I've met Glass.

I've kissed Fluffy Napalm Fairy.....

[ 17. January 2003, 19:21: Message edited by: C@ntus ]

Meh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cantus a little too much info there if you get what i mean!

the lead singer from The Human League who sang dont you want me baby, drinks in the same coffee shop as i do, my mate runs it... he's kinda sexy in real life.

one of my ex gurlfrinds great uncle was Larry Grayson, the famous comedian. i got to go into his house and see where he died n shit.

Greengrass from heartbeat, is a scruffy bastard, i know this, he lives in the same town where i spent my youth. he's a compulsive gambler on the dogs, and he is exactly like he is in real life as he is on the tele.

i've met too many bands to list, i prolly cant remember half of them so i am not going to list any.

i grew up with braidley the lead singer from the splitters in my youth. my fav band ever.

i'm engaged to the most beautiful girl in the world.

i am the reincarnation of an ancient tribal elder.
this i need to do more research into.

that will do for now.

i was on col3

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Isn't it Phil Oakey from human League?

Ros and I saw Martin Clunes on Boxing Day. He's much uglier in real life. Not as ugly as his dog though.....

Meh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
my maskmaking professor did the body suits for the sitcom "Dinosaurs"

i am Sam Houston's gr.gr.gr.gr.gr. grandson (the beginnings of my native american roots)

my friends and i know lots of rockstars like crash worship and tantien and rabbit in the moon and pearl jam and lots of em really. plus we've done fire for/along with hordes of dj's/ musicians like uberzone and ak1200 and perry ferrel and tool. too bad i'm still a big dork

my aunt dated evlis' something... son? nephew?

i am _statistically_ the smartest person in texas...and a pompous ass

my first true love gave soft porcelain butterfly kisses

i am friends with the first uruk-hai warrior to die in The Movie [in the scene where boromir bites it]

my ex-girlfriend rode one of the ringwraith's horses...and then rode me

i know that girl cassandra. i ate a crepe. bow before me

(that last line was funnier when i wrote it, before cantus posted just now. honest it was.)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
right a few interestingn things..

1) i am a direct descendent of Sir Godfrey Kneller (royal court painter to some dead kings and queens of England)

2)my 2 uncles have each won oscars (one for Black hawk down and one for the mummy)

3)my friend can get duncan from Blue's phone number (if anyone gives a shit..)

4)Frostypoi invented the hippo

5) another one of my mates works at the BBC ...so we should be able to get something from him...if we needed it..

speaking of the BBC, that reminds me of another post i need to make...

oh and
6) one of my mates has shared a joint with neil morrisey..(from those irritating homebase adverts and men behaving badly)

[ 17. January 2003, 22:07: Message edited by: THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIRE ]

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I was at school with the School Disco poster girl.

I was also at school with Emma Pierson, the chick from Beast, Bedtime, and Grange Hill.

My great-great-great-uncle worked with Marconi to send the first radio signals across the atlantic.

My mate Lawrence played with the Philharmonic on the Two Towers soundtrack.

Looking forward, I will be a famous author and ambassador for world peace, and my cousin's band will rock the world.

[ 18. January 2003, 01:30: Message edited by: Magnus ]

Magnus... pay it forward

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
Mine aren't all that cool considering I worked in a theatre for four years!

Was in Taggart for two episodes when the old guy was in itWas in Byker Grove and got to say "Jeff, can I borra ten pee?"Broke Robson Green's mobile phone and his Smash Hits awardWas in 1st Harry Potter as an extra (as a fourth year, cool uniform!)Debated with Sir Richard Attenborough about the role of youth theatre. He was impressed and backed up my ideasSang with Frank Skinner over the phone during a conversation with his agentHad the same agent as Jude LawMy brother dated Zodiac from Gladiators (everyone has a connection to these lot!Met League of Gentlemen after seeing a doves gig then got them to sign our tickets. Elicting Reece to shout "who the fuc are doves" just as the band walked past!Eddie Izzard gave me his coat after meeting him at a freezing cold gig

And the coolest of allMy mom dated Steve Tyler (aerosmith) and if she'd been a good mother I would have Liv Tyler as a half sister by now. Damn it! Sol xx

[ 19. January 2003, 03:10: Message edited by: Soleil ]

HEEEEEEEEED!!

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
oooh oooh ooh, does anyone remember 'White Town', the guy who did 'Your Woman'? Met him at a gig in Derby, he gave my cousin's band some good contacts, he liked them.

Magnus... pay it forward

twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy)member
78 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmm claim to fames eh? mine are all a bit shit but my goodness me how jealous am i of durbs u got to play with the drummer of the chilli peppers u lucky lucky boy id give my toes to play with those guys! although i have met a number of folk from here in my recent past which is good enough for me i did meet chesney hawkes once "i am the one and only" bless him anyone remeber him? all he guys ive met from here are so wicked they are all really funny too which is a bonus i love funny people im hoping to meet the rest of u soon a u guys in the u s or other far away places theres always floor space with me and pk! iv e sung with a few bands in my time knowbody massive but big enough im quite priud of that alhough sinigin wih punkers aint exacty singin its more screechin and a whole lot of cursin but hey was fun

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?

twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy)member
78 posts

Posted:
white town hee hee im from derby origionally i was dead proud when they did that song it had the waterfall in it and everything ha ha yay!

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Oh I love this thread.... allllrighty then...

* I met Marilyn Manson at Brisbane Airport..He was with his girlfriend at the time that chick whos name I cant remember right now (shes in charmed now) so I suppose Ive met her too...He is a weirdo. Gives off horrid drug vibes.

* I met Max Cavalara from Soulfly and(previously)Sepultura..He was a crack up...He was walking very fast so I was trotting to keep up with him (being the very short wee thing that I am) and he just cracked up and said "hey there little lady" I just beamed and tryed to trot past the security guards who nabbed me....dammit.

* Met Mike Patton...at the Fantomus concert..I just yelled me head off until he stopped packing up and signed some stuff for my friend Nikki, and told us both to leg it because they were packing up... (I basically got to to get lost by Mikey...sigh )

* Met Courtney Love. Shes a skank.

* Got backstage at the Perfect Circle concert. Yup you heard me Spiral. I met meself Maynard. But only for a little minute, he was heading out the door because he had an infected retina and his eye was giving him hell... Sigh. He is a god. I love Maynard. (not as much as I love you Arsn...)

* AND MY BIGGEST CLAIM TO FAME IS..... I spent the night with THE TEA PARTY... I hope this pic works

(picture doesnt wanna work...removed it so it isnt taking up space...)

No you dirty little buggers...not like that!!! I have met them 3 times now... I met them at a signing the first time and I got a kiss off the lead singer (the guy looking a bit worse for wear in the photo...Im the short girly that looks completly zonked from jumping and yelling and dancing my ass off)...Then I went to the concert and met up with the drummer afterwards who took three of my friends and I out for beers at 12.30 at night. He was soo sweet and the most down to earth guy that I have met, even though people were stopping and getting autographs all the time...I kept pinching myself and I was all like...holy shit its real!!
Then the third time I met them after the concert with Arsn (this is when the photo was taken) and I got the drumstick and got them all to sign it and got a photo with Jeff Martin and Naomi (a friend of mine from the seventh note website, who I met by chance at the concert) Arsn has met them too because he got my glo poi signed by them for me... (thank you again baby)
Btw can you notice that I LOVE THE TEA PARTY? I always have and always will...thats my 2 cents...
Funky thread!

[ 20. January 2003, 10:52: Message edited by: Valura ]

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Ok, there not mine, but here ya go:

My mother very briefly dated Van-Morrison, until he called her a lesbian for not sleeping with him! She also dated Keith Harris of 'I hate that duck' fame.

& my dad is the main photographer for Status Quo.
(loses all the cred I got from the first one straight away with that! lol)

[ 19. January 2003, 17:27: Message edited by: FireMorph ]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It was Hugh Cornwall from the Stranglers, I've finally remembered.

When working in Tesco's I served Micheal Cain (Some cheese), Jeremy Bates (He wanted some smoked turkey but we'd sold out ) and some guy from Emmerdale.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
i've noticed one for mike ginny, ann arbor is mentioned in an anne sexton poem (have just done my dissertation on her so there you go)but then again maybe its famous for many many other things!

oh and i served bergerac while working in a record store and paul weller (got a copy of his credit card for that one! yes i know its fraud!)

sol xx

HEEEEEEEEED!!

Page: