Forums > Social Chat > What languages do you know?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I just kind of wanted to find out...and also to see what people want to learn and if anyone else is silly enough to learn languages in differnet catagories...

I know: English, Latin altho it's rusty.
I am learning: Japanese, Mexican Spanish
I want to learn: Welsh, Russian, Porteguese, German.
I also might like to learn: French, Thai, Czech, Modern Greek.
but i recognize that might be a little ambitious.

Lemme know! Kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Leba:
I know a few words Xhosa, the South African tongueclicking language. Think it's the funniest language! Would like to learn it well...
My friend is from Botswana (sp?!) it sounds so cool to hear the language! Did you know that it is virtually impossible for anyone to learn how to do the clicks properly unless they have learned them from a very young age!

Mad these language things eh?!

drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Papa Lebamember
23 posts

Posted:
I agree Drome. Imitation doesnt do the job, but it's funny to try anyway.
I worked once at a Poetry Festival and met this South African storyteller. No one could pronounce her name properly which made me curious. She taught me some Xhosa words with the different 'clicking' sounds (after that for some time I made clicking sounds for every 'x' or 'q' I came across ).

In general I like languages that sound weird (indonesian, thai etc)
or have weird characters (chinese, sanskrit, arabic, hieroglyphs etc)
They are both funny and mysterious...

Papa Leba((( If all that was unseen was seen, then that which we now see would be unseen )))

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Papa - I'm good thanks! See I can understand but not a clue how to respond.. but I'll give it a go anyway..

Dank u veil - Ich gaat gut.. (thats probably spelt all wrong and mostly likely half german! Thats what happens now - if I try to speak 'foreign' I mix all the languages up!! tee hee heeee..)

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

enlliwmember
16 posts

Posted:
My first language is english, but went to primary and secondary school in Wales, so also fluent in welsh, which, if you have already noticed, made me not be able to spell in english!!!!!!

It is a very difficult language to learn, words are spelled the way they are said, you also get many mutations and female and male words (as in french)!!!

Glad i do know it, not many people can say they can speak WELSH!!!

Bore da!!

(By the way enlliw means rainbow in welsh)

if you do not suceed try try again

Papa Lebamember
23 posts

Posted:
MisStix - If you would say to Dutch people what you have written down, you would get away with it. Just don't show them the written version! BTW I am glad you havent mistaken the first word of my former question for an english word!

I suppose Welsh is a great language too. Considering naming a place "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll Llantysiliogogogoch"! (compared to let's see ehhh...Rotterdam!)

Papa Leba((( If all that was unseen was seen, then that which we now see would be unseen )))

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
I speak English (and can understand most varients), and if I'm not careful for some reason I speak with an Irish accent?!? I'm Irish, but I've never been to Ireland. Strang eh?

I speak some Spanish and some french (I hate french, sorry but when your forced to learn it by the gov because your Canadian - even though you live thousands of km west of Quebec - you kinda hate it.

And I'm (Slowly) learning Gaelic, and I want to learn Japanese

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I love love love languages...

was not really gonna jump in the discussion, but read intersting stuff about khosa which to me also is one of the most amazing languages and had to jump in...

I do not know if this belongs here but I wanted to express how much I am in love with languages simply as a way to communicate with otehr cultures by doing the first step...

Meeting people by sayign "hello" in their own language... be it just 1 word (and maybe thank you also) makes a WHOLE difference rather than speaking english automatically....

I noticed that as i was living in Santa cruz la laguna by lake atitlan in guatemala and tried to learn how to say a few words in kakchikel (the mayan language of this area)... my accent was poor, but even if they laughed sometimes, they much more relaxed than if I had started in Spanish (which they do not master much better than i do for the biggest part anyway)...

One thing I would like to say about people who have some ease with languages versus people who struggle with it... do not ever feel uncomfortable, shy or self conscious.
I do not admire people who have ease in learning languages like myself because i simply think it is a luck we inherited as a kid, nothing to brag about. ON THE OTHER HAND... much respect for what people do or do not do with it. there was a guy working in a hotel in Santa Cruz who learnt quite a lot of kakchikel so he could curse at them and humiliate them ... what is the use of his talent for languages if he wastes it by chosing to be a prick ???

did i get off topic ?

oh well... i speak French and am pretty fluent in german and english. I can manage in Spanish, Modern greek, hebrew, japanese but when i do not practice for a while these get really rusty. i speak a few words of kakchikel now and of italian...

and honestly I know I can communicate with ANYONE no matter the language with hands, feets, smiles, sounds, drawings and humour
I dream of learning all languages, but the one language I REALLY will invest time and money in when back in france is sign language. Much much respect for taht visual culture that has always attracted me greatly...

Shine on
cassandra

[ 17. January 2003, 07:49: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
i only speak 2 languages...english and bad english....

*sits in a corner feeling rather stupid*

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
::hijack:: Frost did you know that it isn't even mandatory for quebecors to learn English in school there, and they are not even aware that we are forced to learn Freanch in the rest of Canada, so much for a fucking democratic society

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Interesting Hijack tho, bram. Multilingualism is interesting. Especially the way it doesn't take.

rainbow...ellinaw (did i get it right?) that's beautiful.... agh. i used to be able to pronounce all the welsh right (just didn't know what it meant) and now i forgot. forgot my german pronunciations too. if anyone from wales has any idea where would be good for me to go in wales to learn welsh, please tell me!

ahhh, wonderful topic guys, much love, keep it up, this is so fun to hear about. i'll reply more properlly to cass's comments in a bit...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KaZeKomember
8 posts

Posted:
Nihongo to eigo wa hanashimasu! I speak Japanese and English. My mother made me learn it when i was 5, and it's kinda stuck... even though the french they tried to ram in my head in elementary school didn't quite make it.

RAndOmNeSS

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hehehe! YAY! s(u)ki nihongo des(u). nihongo no sensei wa taihen nigiyaka to genki des(u). nihongo no gohan mo ii desu.

i hate writing this out in english (latin?)alphabet. i tried to make it more intelligable by putting silent letters in parenthasis. bah at english.

p.s....my grammer might suck still.
p.p.s... i do know some other verbs!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bram:
::hijack:: Frost did you know that it isn't even mandatory for quebecors to learn English in school there, and they are not even aware that we are forced to learn Freanch in the rest of Canada, so much for a fucking democratic society
Yah I knew that, sad isn't it?

::hijack:: Just to let every one know KaZeKo is my girlfriend - I love her so much - who some of you have heard about, whether you wanted to or not. /::hijack::

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

AlteraSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
i can speak a little french and a little japanese but writing out japanes in english would suck

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
fuben desu yo ne. demo romaji de kaku toki, HOP tannin ni omoirari ga arimasu.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

montymember
18 posts

Posted:
Hi Kyrian, we've had some great attempts at translating this relevant poi info www.flow-motions.net/poihistory.html. especially from Soleil so if I could German would be the language for me, I can roughly gauge what is being said because some of the terms are familiar, so anyone else? to put us right in the know...thanks in advance!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Je suis etude francais en l'ecole en la moment.
(I think that was right for saying I am learning french in school right now?)

Besides that, I know English fluently (woo!! go me *sighs*) but I do want to learn:
-French and
-German

I think it'd be pretty nifty to be able to speak 3 languages fluently. Problem is, unless I move to europe I'd never actually use French or English in my everyday life so I'd probably forget it.

montymember
18 posts

Posted:
thats a cool posting Kinudin ...but what we need to solve the riddle of www.flow-motions.net/poihistory.html. is their a German speaker in the house?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
quote:
The Poi Dance has a long and interesting history of the development. The actual origin of this dance lies in New Zealand. Centuries ago there the natives (the Maoris) used a construction, in order to transport large Moa eggs.

This construction called itself "AI" and consisted of two linen bags, which were bound to the respective end of a long volume. This volume was put around the neck to carry the these heavy eggs. Now sometimes individual "Ki's" was filled with stones and at one up to 6 meters is enough for cord fastened.

Hereby was then hurled and swung, in order to train flexibility, co-ordination, reactivity and speed. This training was called "Poi Toa".

The next step in the development was that that from this a play developed, "AI-O-RAHI".

This play kept according to for a very long time the peace between the individual trunks upright to the excessive quantities. Instead of leading wars, hereby diversities of opinion and disputes were delivered. This balance was then destroyed in a relatively short time period by a large inflow by combatready immigrants.
Thus it came now again to wars and engagements and the native ones it then "was forbidden" to follow to its traditional peace-giving plays. But they kept the resistance in as much upright as that they shortened the volumes "AI" and a swinging as symbol of their peaceful way into their traditional dances integrated.

And in such a way this as symbol of the peace also today still one dances. Thereby circles and forms are swung forwards, behind, beside and over the body, everywhere where it is only somehow possible...

Translation - Lycos Its your friend

montymember
18 posts

Posted:
Kinudin you have made our lives so much more interesting now, make lycos your friend sounds great, but the German blurb still doesn't seem to make sense in places, oh well. Hey there is another language that seems to be infiltrating our lives and that is the language of money and greed, particularly the pursuit of oil in other peoples backyards ie Iraqs or am I twirling about the wrong tree? what a sad state this language of war is about to bring!

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Spectrum Basic

BBC Basic

QBasic

Perl

Python

HTML

Javascript

PIC Assembler

For the life forms that come in hard rectangular boxes, and:

human

guinea pig

cat

for the squishy not so boxy ones.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i can speak fluent "grumble munter" and also mumble munter"

PlugInClaireyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
english and irish, and also enough french to hold a conversation. i'd love to have more of a chance to use it though. i picked up some german when i lived there as a child, and it really started to come back to me when i was there last year, even after an 18 year gap!

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
English and Afrikaans fluently and the odd words in Zulu and Tswana.

Afrikaans is a lot like flemish.

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
English and Australian. ubblol

I know bits and pieces of Indonesian, Japanese and Greek, but not much else

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I speak English, Irish, French

I can read but not speak Latin

And I understand some German, Spanish, Italian and Romanian.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

mykrmeburning from inside
165 posts

Posted:
i speak czech (well, i am czech...) also english and french, both quite well (and still learning), learning latin (cos i have to)...also i know a bit of spanish (tiny little bit) and russian (the same), would like to learn chinese, but...that´s pretty hard.but it´s quite ok even now - with my czech, i can get what i want even in slovakia, croatia, ukraine...czech is useful biggrin biggrin biggrin

that's YOUR opinion...

from fire we´re born, to fire we return...

pythonjoshmember
34 posts

Posted:
I speak American, a lil southern American, a lil Australian.
I'm learning Hindi and Punjabi.
Want to learn everything else, but european languages don't interest me that much. Much like my snakes, I'm more interested in rarer, harder to get languages. They offered the typical German, Spanish, and French in junior high and high school, and I just wasn't interested enough to take any class.
Specifically I want to learn Indonesian (all dialects (because I want to look for snakes out there)), Thai, Viet, Cantonese, and Tagalog, and probably others.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
woah! woah! where the hell have i been! someone just said they understood some romanian and it wasn't me!!

*high 5*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm okay with German... wink (bloody complicated lingo that is) - familiar with English (that's not as hard) - and then my knowledge drops free falling to a few expressions in roman languages (mostly swearing), Thai and Indonesian (just saying "hello" and standard phrases)... Currently I am interested in Hindi and Russian... Bought myself some language training programs... "Rseta Stone" (no commericals here) wink Anybody has got experience with them?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: