NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
so, i just found this site for if you hear a bit of a song on an advert, and can't figure out where it comes from or who sings it... this is a UK site although there's probably a equivalent for USA/Austrailia/wherever...

the only reason i'm posting it, is because it has just solved something that has been bugging me the past few days, because the advert in question i've only seen once and i can't even remember what it was about - turns out Sony Bravia - and it was bothering me, because i only heard a bit of it briefly, but it sounded like a rather odd cover of a song i really like, it was that indeed, it was Jose Gonzalez covering a band called The Knife, and it sounded odd, because it's completely different rendition... mmm... brainbug sorted *sigh* smile

but if i hadn't found that website, then this post would be who is singing that song, and do i know it kind of post, which given, i couldn't remember the advert, name of the song, or recognize the voice, might have been a bit difficult, so if anyone has a similar problem in the future, you know where to go...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ace thanks Non biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've been using this site for a coupleyears now, it's an absolute gem!! Before that we had to rely on my mate Steve and his brain packed with obscure and not so obscure music knowledge!! He even used to phone the tv companies to find out who tracks were if he liked them....until commercial breaks and beats came about!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
WICKED this is going to help alot hug Thank you hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
Everyone probably knows this, but in case some people don't; there is a service called Shazaam (in the UK) which is accessable from mobile phones (dial 2581).

If you dial this number and then hold the phone near a music playing source (TV, bar with music playing, radio, etc) it'll hang up after a few seconds and then send you a text message with the name of the music. The database is surprisingly large. Don't know how much it costs though - maybe ~ £1?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
eek Wow that's awesome will!! I've never heard of that before....what a time saver!! Can you hum a tune into it too?!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Ohhh So many ad's,, soo many songs smile

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

1,643 posts

Posted:
cool, am so going to have to test that shazaam thingy! but at a quid a go, i'm also going to have to top up my phone....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i find that when a song is already popular and it gets put in an ad it cheapens the music.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I think I have that site to thank for introducing me to Goldfrapp a few years back...

I found it amusing that a shampoo/hair product ad was soundtracked by The Transplants... smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: will_uk

Everyone probably knows this, but in case some people don't; there is a service called Shazaam (in the UK) which is accessable from mobile phones (dial 2581).

2581 said number not in use frown

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
does anyone know of a similar site for New Zealand? There was a peugout ad for the new 307 not long ago, I've had an extensive look online but still can't find it. Can any kiwis help??

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
Hi,

my mistake - the number is 2580

Dunc - I don't think that it works if you hum the tune.

Will

whiterosenewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I can't figure out weather I liked the song or the colours in that ad lol. A friend of mine said that the album wasn't that goo though.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NOn

Written by: will_uk

2581 said number not in use frown

i thought the number was 2580 confused

1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: whiterose

I can't figure out weather I liked the song or the colours in that ad lol. A friend of mine said that the album wasn't that goo though.

get a copy of the original by the Knife, it's full of lovely psycadelicelectropop goodness, if that's a genre... and they have a pretty cool video also. I don't know about jose gonzalez, but on reflection and rewatching, his rendition does suit the ad.

and ravehead, yeh, 2580, it was posted after, haven't tried that one yet though, i shall put it on my 'to do' list....

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
eek did my fryed brain get something right bounce YAY me wooooooooooobounce2