Page:
_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
My sister came home today from school today, and said that Bexhill High - her school and the school I went to was on the news, regarding the crime rate in in schools across Kent and Sussex.

I consulted my little friend google and found this.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4965692.stm

Turns out good ol' Bexhill High has the highest crime rate in Kent and Sussex.

44 incidants since January 2005.

Now I beg somebody to answer my question - why?!

Why are these kids so god darned abusive, vile, and destructive??

When I was there me and my friends used to joke that the police had a permanant parking space by the reception. Now our joke seems to have turned into reality frown

I'm scared for my sister. The day I got out of that place was one of the happiest days of my life, but luce still has a year and a half to go.

What if something happens to her?

Last week she was walking to school when a bunch of year 7 kids near enough pushed her over, for no reason, and the next day they spat in her face mad

In my last year there, the school employed body guards to stand in the toilets, and then security camereas where installed outside.

Also in year 9, we got a pointy metal fence around the whole perimiter.

Usually the points face the outside to stop intruders getting in, but here? Oh no, we've got them facing inwards. To stop us getting out.

Acording to Lucy there are now security camereas in the playground.

That whole statemant is insane! There are sercurity camereas in the playground.

It's almost funny! ubblol

A kid threw bleach in a teachers face.

One studant beat up another so bad his cheekbone came through his skin.

Some kids broke into the school over christmas holidays and broke whatever window they could.

*sigh*

I don't really know what I hope to achieve in writing this.

The whole thing just makes me mad.

When do the guns a knifes start to make an appearance?

What can I do about it? Nothing.

I can just sit back and wait for the day when my sister comes home in tears as something serious has happend to her.

I don't know who to blame, and even if there is anyone to blame confused

Is it the Head teacher?

Is it the Police?

Is it the area?

Is it the upbringing?

An ugly mixture of them all?

It just makes me so angry. School is supposed to be the happiest days of your life. My sister shouldn't be scared to go in.

And neither should anybody else frown

EDITED_BY: Aimée (1146670642)

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
i was given a good smacking as a child if i was bad.

i think it was good for me. i know it certainly kept me in line. and probably helped me respect my parents (although through fear) before i think a child is capable of respect. paving the way so to speak.

think about how much hassle and investigation a couple wanting to adopt have to go through before they can raise a child.

whilst im not saying people have to apply for permission before being allowed to have children, it would definately make people take parenting more seriously.

im not sure how you would enforce that though.

anyhoo, i think a little dicipline (physical or no) is a definate must for keeping kids in check.

i work at a public boarding school and they are all a bunch of poos that could do with a good caning.

although i find that if i treat them with respect and talk on their level they generally do what i say, unlike my co-workers that boss them around, they just play up.

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
NYC: Comprehensive agreement from me. I've said on several occasions that you should be well prepared to have a child before you even consider it.

But there is a difference between physical punishment in the home and at school. It's an entirely different environment and system.

I would actually agree with the "1999 was the last good year" figure... It certainly gels with my own experience.

I would probably suggest that schooling was made not compulsory. So then children over 11 do not have to go to school. However, if they do not go to school or fail to get at least passing grades, then their parents should get no child support. I.e. You get support if your kid does adequately in school. If your kid is not in school then it is assumed that s/he is working for money and you don't need the extra income from the support. If they are in school and do badly then they will be evaluated for special needs, and if they don't have any then the family simply won't get any governmental support.

Also, there should be relaxation on what a teacher is allowed to do. Currently teachers can do nothing if a pupil attacks/threatens/abuses them. I think a basic course of control and restraint, and the permission to use it would do a world of good, especially if the program was taught effectively. Children should also be fully prosecutable for any illegal actions, there are kids about 13 who are perfectly aware that what they are doing is wrong, immoral, illegal and and utterly evil. I don't buy that people under 16/18 have diminished responsibility. Complete rubbish.

Expulsion should also be brought back. Exclusion is not an effective punishment. Someone in our school was excluded for 2 days once... they were like "Yes! 4 day weekend!" Permanent expulsion should be possible, with the aforementioned loss of benefits to the family.

I was going to rant some more, but I'm far too tired, and I'm keeping my G/F awake... See you tomorrow smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I am finding all this very interesting reading! But I havent noticed anything quite to this extend in Australian school. What about other Australians? Have you noticed it? The two schools i went to didn't even have hints of these problems (given, one was a quite good private school, but my primary school was a government school)...i have been thinking about being a teacher, but now i'm re-thinking!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Lots of the low socio schools here are like that.

Teachers are threatened and off on stress leave alot.

Cant get relief because relief teachers wont go there

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
upbringing.....its always upbringing.....Parents dont teach their kids respect n e more! kids always answer the 1st question with "what?!" and "yeah yeah..wutever"...

Honour has been lost! welcome to the new world!

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
i think suspensions are ridiculous in some situations, for instance, people in my school got suspended for bunking off.

how does that make sense, its only given them what they want.

they should have been made to stay extra hours at school to catch up on what they missed, on a saturday for instance. that'll teach 'em!

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I blame Canada.

I'm not sure we're getting an accurate cross section here, but it does sound like the average behaviour in schools is getting worse. I think it's down to a mix a factors from teaching standards, poor parenting and a general rise in Ned pride. However I may be completly wrong.

I think that it might be legaly possible for a teacher to refuse to teach an individual child if their behaviour is extremely abusive if that's any use to anyone.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

I think that it might be legaly possible for a teacher to refuse to teach an individual child if their behaviour is extremely abusive if that's any use to anyone.

It wouldn't be the teachers decision to deny the student's civil rights. There has to be due process. At least here anyway.

At the schools I've taught at there's always been tremendous support for teachers. Especially when it comes to safety. Maybe that's a different between US and UK. We don't mind infringing on civil rights in the interest of national security as much. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
my class was so bad teachers retired before they got us...we made a woman a few years away from her retirement cry and leave the room
the year before i entered high school the vice principal was stabbed at the local public school
one of the girls in my class accused mark chamura of raping her
we couldn't keep substitute teachers for the life of us

a nun named us the class from hell

the class right behind us were supposed to be actual demon offspring wink

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Written by: jeff(fake)

It wouldn't be the teachers decision to deny the student's civil rights. There has to be due process. At least here anyway.

Just repeating what my mother as a teacher said when she was discussing a troubled child she had in her class a few years ago. As it was put to me if one teacher refused the child got moved elsewhere to be taught. I'm not sure what happens if everyone refuses to teach a child though.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well, on the note of refusing a pupil their civil rights... I think it's fairly obvious that if they produce that much trouble then they don't want to be taught, and should lose the right to education.

Same goes for anything else. If you steal, you've forfeited the right to keep your own possessions (i.e. all burglars should have their homes raided, see how they like it!) and so on and so forth.

Well, since I'm babbling about law changes, then we should just introduce the "Bloody Stupid" law (again wink) so that any pupil acting up in class can get a good slap round the head. biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
There's a cool programme in some German city (forgot which one), where teenagers who've committed minor offences (like stealing or hacking into school computers) get judged by other teenagers, with the assistance of a judge. They can give unusual punishments, like the hacker wasn't allowed to use computers for a month or so. Again it won't help with the repeat offenders but the thought behind it is that kids are better at understanding punishment for other kids, like that expelling someone for a few days for skipping classes won't really work.

It seems to be working quite well for those kids that haven't really thought about what they were doing.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sethis

Well, on the note of refusing a pupil their civil rights... I think it's fairly obvious that if they produce that much trouble then they don't want to be taught, and should lose the right to education.

Cuz that'll teach 'em.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
And of course the problem is that not every punishment works for every person. There needs to be more attention paid. I know I don't react half the same as anyone else.... and I could easily have become a problem kid, several times. If I had stopped having anything to care about....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Page: