Forums > Social Chat > What languages do you know?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I just kind of wanted to find out...and also to see what people want to learn and if anyone else is silly enough to learn languages in differnet catagories...

I know: English, Latin altho it's rusty.
I am learning: Japanese, Mexican Spanish
I want to learn: Welsh, Russian, Porteguese, German.
I also might like to learn: French, Thai, Czech, Modern Greek.
but i recognize that might be a little ambitious.

Lemme know! Kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
most of uz dont even no english n e more do wee.

i would love to be fluent in french, but maybe one day if i put as much effort in to it as i do poi.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I am fluent in American and speak the North Eastern Dialect with a Rochester New York accent. Some of the Southern dialects are difficult to understand but I usually get by.

I can understand English, Canadian and Australian.

I am working on understanding Scottish. If they talk slowly I can almost get the idea of what they're saying.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
(Another contest Cassandra's gonna win)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hadn't realized it was a contest.

Don't let PWB fool you...he is fluent in some forms of "geek" that I just can't seem to grasp! [Razz]

Herm....Latin, and I took it at a young enough age that I can translate it over in weird ways...for example, I can read any latin based language without much of an issue...but when someone speaks it, thier dialects get in the way.

I can speak Spanish (Puerto Rican, Cuban..the American derrivitives.)

A bit of Canadian french, Cajun French and West Indies French, none of which are alike, nor do they sound like "real" French.

American and Rochesterian Sign Language. One is based on finger spell, one is based on symbolism.

I can read braille (long story).

Gael Romani...enough to squeak by.

I speak in a dialect of American English that is all my own, and continually make more of it up as I go! [Big Grin]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
braille huh, hard task, how long did it take you to get familular with it?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I started when I was about 5. My grandparents worked for the New York State School for the Blind and Deaf, and my grandfather was Canadian. So much of this I had been exposed to for much of my life (until his death).
I still can't do the two handed braille reading thing though. THat is really beyone me!

Pele

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The only language I know is English.
I was taught French at school but since it was compulsory I naturally didn't want to do it and have since forgotten almost everything I learnt. If I'd have known how much I want to be able to speak it now, maybe I'd have paid more attention
I might consider trying to relearn it, but I've never been fantastic with languages anyway, and I've got a whole load of other stuff to learn at the moment, so it'll have to wait a while.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I know:

gillabic
illabic
arp
and pig latin - All these are those silly languages people use in school. darpo yarpo arpundarperstarpand warpot arpI arpam sarpayarping. shit that was tricky - never written in Arp before.

One of my life's goals is to be conversationally fluent in 5 languages by the time I'm 32: Spanish, Italian, German, French and one of the Asian languages - not sure which yet.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Flash, I understood it but haven't seen it written out before. Weird!
How close are you to that five language goal?

Pele

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hehee. Like I said, it was tricky to write I actually had to apply my brain-power to it.

I learned French a l'ecole. When I was in primary school. Can't remember much now.

I bought myself some Learn Spanish tapes a couple of years back, and progressed through them fairly easily til I got distracted and life took me elsewhere. No where near conversant, but buidling basic knowledge of the form and function.

I studied Latin in Secondary school and loved every second of it!

I seem to have a knack for languages - the masculine/feminine thing usually makes perfect sense to me...

As with all life goals, you actually have to work for them. So, once my life allows me the mental space to do so, I will continue with the learning. Also, best way to learn a language is to spend time living in the location; something I also intend to do.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I know english, spanish, russian, and a bit of german. All of which will never come in handy.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oooo...russian.....

btw, pele, regular asl has symbolism just as much as "rochesterian".... however, i will admit rochesterian is an interesting version therof (something about the amount of deaf people in one area....) only in rochester will teh first bit of asl they teach you be "don't eat dead lesbians"

i used to speak asl, and have lost everything accept "i understand" "i don't understand" and my finger spelling alphabet. oh, and "hawaii" and "bathroom" and "eat". i know that's a bizarre combination.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I speak english, and a bit of Netotsi Romany, and am currently working on Gaelic. I hope to learn russian once I start college, and maybe a bit of some various other languages. The Gaelic is kicking my but though, cause I'm having to learn it from a book, and I don't have the tape that goes with it yet. Ah well, back to my studies
and

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
flash ive never heard of arp before but could understand what you where saying

i speack english, giberish, rasbry and an artist in the field of the aussie bulshit artist (the drop bears one is still my number one for getting people with (and the pointing the finger at some one chest and then flicking them in the nose when they look down is always a corka ( got yuo so many time miss flashy with that one )

would like to learn
french (can sometimes understand what is being said but dont now what is said), gealic (irish and welsh), italian and spanish

[ 15. January 2003, 19:08: Message edited by: brainstorma ]

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Dia Dhiabh go leir

Mother tongues are English and Irish - but having being away my gaeilge is somewhat rusty - noone to practice with.

Learned French for 6 years, but likewise its not being used.

Still using my Japanese though.

Was going to learn Spanish but think it would be advisable to go back and pick up the other languages first.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
I speak Aust English (and understand most other varieties, and do bad imitations of some).

I used to be fluent in Indonesian, but since it's 5 years since I've spoken regularly it would probably take me a short period to get back up to speed. Before anyone asks why Indonesian, get a world map. I come from Darwin, in Australia, the answer will be perfectly obvious.

I have done a small amount of Spanish... I thought it would come in useful for travelling. I'm sure it will, once I make it South America. It was certainly useful in Spain.

If I was going to learn another language, it would probably be Italian as my brother lives in Italy and has an Italian girlfriend. It would be nice to communicate with her family and friends, although they all speak good English.

I've always had a sneaky fascination for Welsh and Gaelic, although I doubt I'll ever prioritise learning them over all the other interesting things I want to do, and I also would like to learn a language that uses cases - one of the Eastern European languages, or latin.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I was taught japanese and french at school, but hated it.
As a kid i was fluent in polish, but as time has passed i have forgotten it all
The weird thing is that i can still understand it to listen to, in part, but cannot reply in polish only english So it must still be in here somewhere.
I also speak a lil' spanish as i used to live over there.
LOL
Trippy

[ 17. January 2003, 06:15: Message edited by: Trippy Hippy ]

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
english, german and a smattering of french....not much tho...

my dad is silly...he can speak: english, french, russian, mandarin, german, spanish and a little japanesse ....one question...WHY???

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
why not? he can comunicate with alot more of the world.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
So that you can talk about people with your mates in different languages

and

So that you can understand when people say rude things about you in other languages!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I couldn't speak English until I was about 5 or 6. My first language was Thai - the Northern dialect to be precise - I could never understand people in Bangkok when we went as a family - I was made to speak english at school and that was two languages untill I was ten - then I we moved to Belguim - where I learnt French and German at school - I had playmate is Antwerp who taught me flemmish and later on at school I had the option of learning Dutch - which I took up so from 10 to 15 I had ranging from conversational to fluent in 6 languages - thenI moved to the UK.. now I speak one. English. Oh yeah and a smattering of Shona and Chichwewa (sp) (african languages) which my dad has worked into our family lingo.. makes our family dinners amuzing as he thinks i know what they all mean - I'm just working on instinct!

It's such a shame that the schooling system I was put into here in the UK didn't think very much of languages - coz I could be an international translator with the UN instead of an office manager.. sux huh? Now I don't have the time or inclanation to go back to school and learn them all again - I'm on a differnet life path now..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hey Mistix,

I think there is such an emphasis on the English langauge being the most used language in the World that people are not bothered about learning even basic phrases when they go away.

We have to learn Irish in school as well as English. Its frustrating having to learn our own language, especially as it is not used in daily life.

I was in Connemara (West of Ireland) over the Christmas hols and noticed that a lot more young people are communicating through English in their daily life. Very disappointing as the last places in the west that use our language succumb to the convenience of speaking English amongst themselves.

- W B Yeats

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hey Kat

Connomara is stunning - I went over there and to Co Mayo and Claire two years ago for a Guinness week.. Really pretty place - I loved the Burren - thinking of going back this year - anything to get out of this country!

I found the same thing in Antwerp - you go into the shops trying to speak french/ flemmish and the shop keepers recognise your english accent struggling the gutteral sounds of flemmish and start to speak to you in English.. Its sad me thinks.. we must remember the small nuances that make this world special.. I'l keep buying frase books even if I can't speak the language - I'll still make an effort.. but with thai you have to be careful tho the intonations that you put on words change the meaning !! You could end up calling your mother a horse - or worse a dog.. all spelt the same way (Maa) jsut said differently! lol

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
English of course

In my high school we had a choice between Italian and Japanese, I disliked the whole masculine/feminine thing in Italian so I chose Japanese. Japanese seemed to make sense to me, its a very structured yet beautiful language. And learning to write in another script fascinated me most of all. Learning the language took me over there to actually immerse myself in the culture, and changed my life perspective when I returned.

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

regulaemember
23 posts

Posted:
I know spanish (mother lang) hebrew english and spoken italian. Learnt italian just from listening and connecting to spanish but i have no idea of verb configuration or grammatical construcicon or anything...

i also studied french but lost it completely from lack of practice. Im very good at nonsense, and can speak the dialect in any of the above languages...specially french. From some reason the only things in french i remember are "i am toilet" and much more random unconnected words.

Give me three vodkas and i speak russian and zuahilly (SP) also

would like to learn much more but first i want to perfect the languages im not so good at.

Alon

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
i speak high german, understand and speak different german dialects and schweitzerdeutsch, the northern dialects elude me tho
i used to speak a proper scottish, with a dram and some practice it comes back, i've also been mistaken for irish, and english and i do a decent hillbilly accent too
i did one year of french and a few intense weeks of japanese
for some bizarre reason i've understood some irish gaelic
also understand some italian and unfortuantely have such good pronounciation that they don't believe me when i say no palare italiano
understand a little slovak and hungarian and a little latin
picked up a little spanish from mexican co-workers

i'd love to be able to speak and read more languages fluently
my dad speaks 7 or 8 different ones and always a trip to hang out with him and friends - in one conversation they'll use 3 or 4 different ones

Why?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
wow, all these answers are amazing.... it's fun to find this out!

Mis Stix- truly amazing, shame you lost them.

queen of wands- their is some irony in your choice of language, altho perhaps you meant the masculine/feminine thing was annoying? not that you didn't like it for trh symbolism? If you didn't like it for the later reason, there is irony, because japanese communication is very based on the woman being inferior. Sort of a silly language if you ask me, but it's a lot of fun. Just about anything you put in your mouth is honorable *shakes head*

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I fluently speak read and write Spanish and English. I can only fluently speak and read portugese. All these I speak in various styles and can drift in and out of regional dialect and slang.

I understand fluently and can speak some french and italian.

Would like to learn: Arabic, Greek, Japanese and whatever else i can get my claws into!

YAY! The multilingual world!

Much love and hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Papa Lebamember
23 posts

Posted:
To MisStix: Hoe gaat het met jou?

I fluently speak/read/write/sing/dream Dutch and English

I Speak and understand Surinam language (= Negro- English or TakiTaki). The language is originally a spoken language, a mixture of Dutch, English, Ghanese(?) and a pinch of French and Spanish. It's very easy to learn (no grammar!) and sounds funny!

I understand/read well but speak less: French and German.

I know a few words Xhosa, the South African tongueclicking language. Think it's the funniest language! Would like to learn it well...
and Spanish too!

Papa Leba((( If all that was unseen was seen, then that which we now see would be unseen )))

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Fluently of course in English.

Learning: German

Learned: French ( I hate it, and can't speak any, well not that much)

Want to Learn: Arabic, Gaelic (seeing as my name on here is gaelic), Spanish, Portuegese, Japanese, VIETNAMESE ( my gf speaks it)

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Page: