Forums > Social Discussion > Saving Money hints and tips please

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ok... we have just paid off a whole load of bills and will have more diposable income now which is great news... although our kombi is gone which is bad news!

To let you guys know we are saving to come to the Uk to see all our beautiful friends and family there (you guys are just like family ya know?) Its going to coat a minimum of 4 thousand dollars just for tickets.We would love to be there in the next year or so.

The thing is...I have no will power! I have already had to put my credit card in a cup.. fill it with water and freeze it in the freezer cause I buy something and think Ill pay for it later... which never happens.

so I was hoping that perhaps you guys may have suggestions as to how to save some dosh? I have gone to get some travel books so I can cut out the piccys of london and put them on a goal poster, yet that doesnt help when Im at the shops and reach for my eftpos card.... redface

I also shocking at budgets...all our bills always get paid on time.. but then extra money gets chucked away at dumb things like food, fun stuff (movies and crap like that)and I ALWAYS seem to be buying things for other people to remind them how much they are loved~ which is nice and I dont want to stop doing, maybe I should start making things to remind them they are loved instead huh? (if I can find the time around my active lil ten month old!)

Any ideas guys?

HELP US WITH HINTS AND TIPS TO GET TO THE UK TO SEE YOU!!!!

ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
leave the credit cards at home, every time you find a twenty dollar bill (or the australian equivelent) in your pocket, leave that at home as well. make things for people instead of buying them, because if you put 20 minutes into creating something for someone, it means alot more than that 5 dollar gift. minimize your wants, stick to your needs. give yourself a daily budget, if you want something that would be more than the daily budget then let a few days budget accumalate and then get it. and most important, keep the UK on the mind 27 hours a day and 13 days a week. wish I could see you there but you'd have to come to america for that. good luck.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
hiya valura!!

YAY!! for the idea of heading off to the UK... that is a dream of mine also, but I'm looking @ least another couple years before I can do it.

I *LOVE* that credit card idea... I should do that... before my max'd credit card becomes my overdrawn credit card...!! Doesn't sound like I should be giving $$ advice, does it?

Perhaps to get the best of both worlds, you should allocate some of the surplus to movies/takeaway/gifts etc... at least then you know how much you're blowing. Controlled waste... wink

Work backwards... figure out how much $$ you need @ the end, how long you have to save and you'll know how much you need to put away. Get an external savings account like ING or something and move the $$ when you pay the bills. If it's not there, you can't spend it.

OK... some of this is actually starting to sound like advice now... that's good. Even if it's wrong... definitely heading in the right direction. Hmmm... 9:00am on a wed morning and I'm rambling... not a good sign.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Set up a direct debit into a savings account just after payday.... if it's not there it's harder to spend it smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
In the states, you can have money automatically withdrawn from a bank account once a month and put into a savings account...you might look into something like that if possible. If not, the best thing to do is to deposit x amount of money each paycheck into a savings account right when you get that paycheck. That way, your usual extra spending money will not be visable to you when you want to spend it. You might look to see if there are any special vacation savings accounts set up that restrict when you can withdraw money from them if you are tempted to just because.

Other ways to save are buying things at the grocery store that are on sale only. Stock up on non-perishables when they are on sale, buy the fruits, veggies, and meats that are on sale that week and plan your menus around those instead of what you may currently be doing. Don't eat out very often and make yourself a lunch to bring to work (or Arsn to bring to work). Look for ways to lower your electric bills (keeping the house colder in the winter and warmer in the summer by even a few degrees helps loads).

If you need more cost cutting tips, just ask. I lived on a graduate student budget for 7 years and know plenty of ways to save a buck here and there.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
when you go shopping, make a list before (together so 1 person can always say "do we really need this?", and don't buy anything that's not on the list.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Put an amount away in a safe lil place (or a seperate account) every week or month, say start off with $20 a week, then work up to $50 a week and then up to $100 if you can. Buy only the foods that on special (yay for budget shopping!). It's good that you have an amazing goal to work towards. Just keep thinking of that and about all the lovely amazing friends you'll get to see again smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
perhaps someone you can trust (like a parent or something - someone really close!) can 'hold' some money for you. when i need to save badly - thats how i would do it and arrange it with my parents.
After payday, i would transfer the amount i want to save to my parents account - because if i previously tell them that im trying to save, and they are under no circumstance allowed to realease the money to me till a specified date - then they wont.

Do this straight after payday and youll have much less money being tempted to be spent on frivilous things.

Written by:

I ALWAYS seem to be buying things for other people to remind them how much they are loved

maybe downgrade to artfully decorated cards or something? im sure noone will think less of you or feel less loved smile

hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Open up one of those accounts that you need to give notice to withdraw. At the end of the month stick all your unused money in it.

Every night, clear out your purse of all those gold coins and stick them in a opaque box, you'll have $300 in two months or less.

The hardest, but the most effective is to stop impulse buying. Walk away and tell yourself you'll come and get it tomorrow, by that time you'll have cooled off.

And go to Southampton for me. I miss it like crazy.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

yup, agreeances with everyone else... i'm not fantastic with money, and i've never earned heaps either, but in my last year and a half of employment i managed to save 16 grand (admittedly i had less outgoings than i do now, due to living at home).

I did it by having an account that i couldn't access through eftpos, or at just any atm, i had to go to a commonwealth atm to access that account... so on pay day, i walked down the street to the commonwelth bank at lunch time, and i'd put half of my pay in there, and i'd live off the rest...

i've always gone without some of the stuff i wanted, but didn't need, but at 20 years of age i had enough for a deposit on my own home. (i didn't end up getting my own home, due to other life circumstances, but it was there).

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Why not open a savings account at the bank, then put the money thet you were spending on bill each month into it?

It'll soon add up.

smile

Good luck, I know how hard it is saving up for stuff!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I had six months to save enough money to get a ticket and money behind me to apply for my visa (you need about $3000AU to get the Working Holiday Visa for the UK).

I ended up taking a small part time job some of the evenings of the week doing nightfill at a supermarket which helped immensely, even though it didn't pay too much.

I find emptying my pockets, bag, puse every day and putting the coins in a jar and not raiding it saves a fair amount.

Also, instead of buying expensive brands on all your foods figure out what you do need to buy but it would make no difference to buy it in home brand items like pasta, rice, milk etc etc...you will be surprised how much that will save.

If you are going out, only take a small amount with you and no cards...then you can only spend what you have on you, I am very guilty of going out with a small amount of cash but pulling more from my bank so I can keep partying through the night....quickest way to lose money I feel.

I know this is probably not going to help but selilng little things that you don't really need on eBay is also a great way to earn some extra cash. I had over 400 books which I sold most on ebay for more than what I bought them for!!! I made over $1000 just selling my books, stuffed toys and things like that. Of course you don't sell things that have sentimental value or that you need....

Ohhh and last but not least, open up an ING account, put away a hundred or so each pay and you will be surprised how much it will grow with interest (I have looked at other establishments but ING came out on top!)
EDITED_BY: Medusa (1146642127)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
do you have a market near you? my flatmate aves heaps on fruit and veggies by buying at the Vic Market towards the end of the day when they are selling it even cheaper!

But make sure you don't scrimp on food. I've made that mistake twice (once while travelling and once this year sice moving out) and I learnt that saving money is not worth my health.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
I put my wages straight into savings and then pay an alowance into my current account each week. It sounds like a fairly juvenile way of doing things but it's the only way I can stay in control!

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh, I'm really good at saving money. biggrin

I think it's actually a philosophy.

One suggestion would be to defer impulse buys. If there's something fun you really want to buy on January 1st, DON'T buy it yet. Tell yourself you'll buy it next month. This way, you wn't be able to buy anything else impulsey until Feb 1 when you buy your original item AND (and perhaps more importantly) you won't be bored with your original item and looking for your next impulse buy.

Once you tap into the general philosophy saving money it becomes easier. You also find out that you really DON'T need many of the things that your normally buy.

And absolutely STOP buying things for other people. I even raise an eyebrow at the manner in which you say it.

Like you said, MAKE them stuff. It takes time and effort and much less money.

I have many friends, family, and loved ones and very rarely use material gifts to show them my love. There are much better ways. biggrin

Most importantly, get introspective about WHY you are spending money and assess whether or not they are reasonable or disfunctional reasons. It sounds like there may be some guilt spending which is never useful.

You might also need to spend a week without spending anything (stock up on Pasta and Cereal before hand and then don't spend a dime.) Just to show yourself that it can be done.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

You might also need to spend a week without spending anything (stock up on Pasta and Cereal before hand and then don't spend a dime.) Just to show yourself that it can be done.

hmm, i've suggested doing that in my house but its never happened yet. i think i could do it, as long as i bought a week long bus ticket so i could still travel!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
You could make food as presents for people. Then whilst making that nice cake\casserole or whatever for tea, make some spare as a present.

I find keeping my reciepts for everything I buy useful. It works in a couple of ways. For me I find it helps me to consider what I'm buying a bit more, and whether I really need it. It also helps because you can look through them, and see where you're spending needlessley. I was sceptical when my freind reccomended doing this to me, but it really does seem to make a difference somehow.

Also try saving up all your small change and pennies. It's amazing how quickly they add up, and you don't really notice them missing. It also means you don't have to lug a purse full of heavy money around with you.

Good luck, hope I get to meet you when you come hug

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I tend to use my credit card a lot, as I buy a lot of stuff online, and don't like hunting round towns for a cash machine that doesn't charge for withdrawals, so I've come up with a couple of ways of keeping the cost down.

I keep very good records. I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of exactly what's in my bank account, and on my credit card. Every time I go shopping I get home and copy the dates and prices from the receipts to the spreadsheet, so I know exactly what's there for me to spend.

I don't trust my bank to keep me informed any more, as it can take a week for transactions to show up on their computers, by which time I could have got some nasty charges for being overdrawn, thinking I had money available. The values on the spreadsheet also include a £10 safety, that allows for the interest I may be charged on my credit card.

I have a very low credit limit, which is enough to buy most things, and gives me a pretty low interest rate.

As soon as I get any money, I put it straight onto the credit card. That way the costs of using the credit card are almost zero. I get charged the interest and another £20 if I miss a minimum payment, but nothing at all if I pay it then spend it wink I've been maxed out almost continually since I got the card, but only payed interest twice in the last 6 months. It's definately worth finding out how to exploit your credit card.

I also use the mozilla calendar to keep track of when regular payments come in, or bills have to be payed.

Freezing my card would be no use. I don't need to have it present to make online orders, as I can remember the numbers. Same for all my online banking.
EDITED_BY: polarity (1146684673)

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

And absolutely STOP buying things for other people. I even raise an eyebrow at the manner in which you say it.

Like you said, MAKE them stuff. It takes time and effort and much less money.

I have many friends, family, and loved ones and very rarely use material gifts to show them my love. There are much better ways. biggrin

Most importantly, get introspective about WHY you are spending money and assess whether or not they are reasonable or disfunctional reasons. It sounds like there may be some guilt spending which is never useful.

whoa NYC... you have just totally opened my eyes!
I DO guilt spend...BIG TIME.
I think I may have written the first post pretty badly in retrospect. I buy things for people, but only small things, and when rereading my post it sounds like I think thats dumb! When I really dont.. I see something that reminds me of a mate or a family member and buy it to make them smile... for example the day before yesterday I was shopping for Taj and saw a pair of pjs with chocolates all over them and thought of Moonpixie straight away..I instantly wanted to get them for her cause she LOVES choccie and its getting cold here so I thought she might like them...In saying that I didnt get them cause I didnt have the money. But I do also make presents for people, as often as I get the chance... I think spending money on things like movies and food is dumb... but not buying things for my friends and family...perhaps thats a subconcious thing I really need to look at! Thank you for that NYC, its made me think a whole lot smile

I do have issues about money..and seriously now you have said that I realise they ARE disfunctional.. quite often I think subconciously I think Im not worthy of having it, so I flit it away... Eg~ last night we got pizza. We didnt have to, but we did cause we had the money! *head desk*
Perhaps I could make a goal to get to your wedding?!

so after reading all your hints and Tips (thanks so much guys) I am going to do the following...

* buy home brand and bulk food if where I can, I do as much as I can already but could really do it more! Also going to a fruit and vege shop would save heaps. I do go to a butcher as I want the meat to be horomone free for Taj and he is great so that saves heaps.

* direct debit into a savings account what we would have previously been paying on extra petrol, insurance, and the loan on the kombi, into a savings account like ING. (thanks Medusa) That will build up.

*The credit card is cleared and frozen so I will not touch that becasue it was not used for so long as it was maxed out anyway, so that can be an emergency only card. We have cut up Arsns card also becasue the compnay that was with are thiefs anyway... they wore balaclavas every time they sent the bill Im sure! biggrin

* Make foody gifts for people, (thanks pricklyleaf) like my choccie afghans, (maybe moonpixie would like to eat choocie instead of wearing it!)

* since my license has been taken away I can save extra petrol by using the public transport so the extra money can go into the savings account.

* I have just been offered a job that I can work from home after Taj has gone to sleep at night so that extra money will go straight into the savings account and we can live off the one wage like we have been.

* I will cut the insurance cost by comparing the companys (thanks spanner for that website!) I have also downloaded the budget planner for excel from that website so will start to fill that out!

* Put all our spare change into a piggy bank and open an account for Taj and put that change into it... That way we can buy him things he may need or presents for birthdays etc! (plus save some for when he is older and can go travelling to the yookay or something...university? Im sure it will cost your first born for higher education by then)

*ebay! Heaps of baby things that Taj has grown out of we have been selling on Ebay and getting quite a lot for it! It also helps to declutter the house! smile

mmmm food for thought ... ubblove ubblove ubblove Thank you guys... My attitude to money is starting to change

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
YaY Valura! that sounds alot like a plan you've got going there! Good Luck!

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yay! Good plan chicken! Sounds like you're getting it under control! Good luck with it and all your travel plans biggrin

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I just spent a whole lot at uni today...maybe I need to take some of the adive here! Damn uni market and those terrible emi-impulse buys!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Have read the book by Anne bell she did the py your mortgauge off in 5 years book . There's a nother that i'll give/lend when we catch next month .

!. love and light Puk

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spanner

Wouldn't someone who has fairly recently become a mother need more nutrients than pasta and cereal can provide even if she's not breastfeeding?

True True.... I was only translating it into what I eat in a week. Which is pretty much pasta and cereal. smile She should translate it into whatever healthy food she normally eats.

hug

And sometimes it's really important to be introspective about things like this. I'm glad you're truely thinking about your guilt spending.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh, and I forgot. I have an Excel spreadsheet where I record my monthly bank statements. By looking at my bank statement and my Visa bill I can easily see where everything goes.

I found interesting things like the amount of cash that I spend stays very constant, visa bills vary with plane tickets and christmas shopping. I was impressed how consistant I am from year to year. I can easily see Christmas spending and Travel Spending and even months when I'm really busy the spending goes down.

I also found that it makes more sense for me to spend my time trying to make more money (getting pay raises and tutoring) than by trying to save money or even invest.

But that's just me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hehe! i was gonna suggest a piggy bank - but that's already on your list!! biggrin i did that once...i bought one of those money tins from crazy clarks (the ones you can't open without a can opener) & every time i had gold coins in my purse, i put them in there!! when i finally opened it, there was nearly $100 in there!! biggrin actually...i should do that again... tongue

good luck with saving hun!! hug

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Oh dear, I have the opposite problem!

*Thinks about what I do*

Well I make sure to buy things at inexpensive shops (eggs are half the cost at one place from the other, meat and cheese vary by up to 33%, I only buy cereal or processed food on sale....). Where I am fresh stuff is much cheaper than processed so I buy as much of that as possible and also shop for food a little more frequently and don't buy stuff other than like rice and jam and pickles and what have you much before I use it.

I try to bring very little money with me- sometimes I've even not had enough for some cheap fruit I've seen! I also don't have very much cash out of the bank at any given time, and atm's arn't very convinient.

I make a budget and follow it. I keep every receipt and keep track of howmuch I'm spending on what. I check prices for things like haircuts ahead of time. I avoid going into stores so I don't decide that I want stuff!

Hrmm.... oh and I put money in my savings account asap, and I won't let myself touch that money!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Sorry love but I would not have a clue how to save money. My response to imminent bankruptcy is a 3 month tour of Europe.
rolleyes

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Give up Alcohol ( or only drink other people's when it is offerered)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
There was an article in mum's Thats Life magazine last year I think about how to save money... unfortunatly I cant remember them, except for the petrol one.
Every minute (or even less) as this chick was filling up her car she would stop the flow, shake the hose so bits that were caught would fall into the tank, and then fill for another minute. It took heaps longer, but she saved heaps because she would use every little drip in the tank, and not leave half of it there

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Your all going to hate me for every one of these sugestions, but since I saved about 35 grand in 4 years on apprentice wages I think I am qualified to say how to be a scrooge. I practice what I preach, but be warned that saving money involves disipline and suffering, so most of you wont have the strength to follow these sugestions. I only know 1 person more frugal and disiplined than myself, out of at least 100 people

1) ABSOLUTLY NO alcohol, tobacco, drugs, gambling, nightclubing, hotted up cars or debt s accrued for consumer items. without doing this your wasting your time.

2) forget about budgeting, your aim is to save everything, so you realy need good analytical software like Quicken to rapidly pick up high expenditure and wipe it out.

3) Graph your savings and expenditure on a large graph in your lounge room every week.

4) Satisfaction is proportional to the log of the number of items you own. get rid of most of your possesions and in a few months you wont even miss them.

Try searching this site for something like " satisfaction proportional to log of number of items" and it might pick up an earlier post of mine in more detail.

5) Think that your duty is to manage resorces wisely for future generations, not squander them on your own greedy desires.

6)Stay away from women that charge for sex, especially realy atractive and sensual ones like an Indonesian woman about 21 years older than me and smooth and soft of body. Geting into that mess when I was about 20 cost me about 10 grand and leaving a bad woman was the hardest choice I have ever had to face in my life. It took me 4.5 years and 2 tries to give up that vice, and It realy sucked for years.

7) Examine the 1/X graph. Form cells of 7 families to live communally, or of at least 3 families minimum. Become at least 200% self suficient in fruit and vegetable production. Have no debt. Extract yourself from fossil fuel dependency if posible. Store 12 months dry food and 4 weeks water. Make yourself independent of the economy or else go down with the sinking ship when peak oil comes in the very near future. This is my next mission and is the primary reason (other than looking for a wife) for my NZ trip at the end of this year, and even a fanatic like me will find this a tough task with a high risk of failure but very little chance of surrender.

8) DEFINITLY come and talk to me about frugal living , universal loan graphs, peak oil, posessions vs satisfaction graphs, etc . Being a fanatical greenie scrooge I am only to happy to preach frugality to anyone who cares to lisen, and convert those who dont currently care.

Unfortunatly it takes a huge amount of effort for me to type up posts like this so I cant put up all this stuff myself, but I freely make it availably if you can see me in person. This is an open invitation to anyone, and your best chance is at Moonfest or jugle jam. Most of what I can show wont help short term but I'll try and bring some stuff to the next moonfest for all to see.

Being debt free and having a house helps, and my current savings rate is about 12-15 K per year from a gross income of 39K , up about 30% from recently, as I start to focus on my iminent NZ trip.

Considering a large part of that trip is aimed at finding a wife and I havent got laid for almost 5 and 3/4 years since I gave up casual recreational sex and soon after extended that to fornication in all forms, and am not going untill I have at least 40K, you could vow to give up sex untill you save up 10 grand. Its amazing how much extra money that can make you save.

Page: