Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
hello beautiful people

I was reading this poem to NYC a few hours ago on the phone and I thought maybe some of you would like to hear it too...
I am thinking that especially because I received a message from someone today telling me she did not feel happy with her figure and I so wish she knew how I think she is physically gorgeous, but on top of that I think she is one of those people who can fly ...

Title says it is about women but personnaly, if i had the talent and words, would have written just the same about men...

Writing down the original text first so that spanish peakers can enjoy the original version AND also maybe help me out with my clumsy translation (only 1 month 1/2 of spanish in guate my friends... bear with me )

"no se me importa un pito que las mujeres tengas los senos como magnolias o como paras de higo ; un cutis de durazno o de papel de lija. le doy una importancia igual a cero, al hecho de que amanezcan con un aliento afrodisiaco o con un aliento insecticida.
Soy perfectamente capaz de suportarles una nariz que sacaria el primer premio en una exposicino de zanahorias ; ! pero si ! - y en esto soy irreductible - no les perdono, bajo ningun pretexto, que no sepan volar. Si no saben volar ! pierden el tiempo las que pretendan sedurcirme !"

free translation any help / improvement welcome :

I could not care less if women have breasts like magnolias or like dried figs, the complexion of a peach or that of sand paper, I think the importance of the fact that their breath conveys an aphrodisiac scent or smell of pesticide is equal to zero.
i could absolute;y bear a nose that would win the first prize in a Carrot contest. BUT - and in this I am irreductible (?) I will not forgive them under any circumstances if they say they cannot fly. If they cannot fly they are losing their time trying to seduce me

Antologia from Oliverio GIRONDO, argentinian writer

Shine on
Cassandra

[ 15. January 2003, 05:41: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hee hee... it even feels warm and fuzzy to be back on HoP with you, beautiful.

I was just translating the poem myself. I think it may be my new motto.

I am smiling like only Danae can make me.

(only bigger)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Does this apply to us chubby men too? even though i dont have breasts? I like breasts just as much as the next guy.Does that count?

Super...

[ 14. January 2003, 15:29: Message edited by: Superman ]

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
anyother time it would count, and we all know you like breats but your affection for the female anotomy does not count in this instance, soz man..

very beautiful poem , thanks for sharing
mythmitch

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
kudos! beautiful post...i will carrry this one with me for a long time to come!

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Hahaha
I just spent maybe 5 minutes trying to look for words that I know in FRENCH... then I felt like reading the original post then finding that it was in SPANISH.

Cheers,
Kinudin

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
You are beautiful! Especially when you're flying.
Much love angel!
Chelle

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
It's a nice poem. It kinda loses a little in the translation though...

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
very nice, but as you asked, here are some corrections...

"cutis" means skin, usually applied to the skin in the face area.

i think in the last sentence he says something more like "...i will not forgive, under any circumstances, if (that?) they can't fly."

and last thing, in the end i would say something like "...their time trying to seduce me."

but for just 1 and 1/2 months of spanish it's REALLY good

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Great poem - I changed my signature to a more cynical one now but it reminds me of my last signature:

Come to the edge she said
They said we are afraid
Come to the edge she said
They came
She pushed them
And they flew

now we really need a smiley with a halo and wings don't we.

I like this post - it's all so nice and happy

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

4,224 posts

Posted:
I am happy you liked it

Frost, as I said I a, no professionnal translator, especially since english is NOT my mother tongue. since you seem to understand the subtle spanish language, can you please help me / us with a better translation ? thanks

Sabbas gracias

question to all english speakers, i knew cutis was referring to the skin on the face and I thought complexion means this... help anyone ?

Sunbeam, thank you for the oterh poem

any related thought ? poem ? input most welcome

shine on
Cassandra

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
lol yah right. I all though I understood the poem I can't translate it to english. When I learned spanish I didn't match english words to spanish words. I learned what they meant. I like how we speak our native languages. We assciate the words with meanings not other words. I personally don't think poems and songs can be translated.
I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to being an ass, that wasn't my intention. I couldn't have put it into english any better than you.
Just out of curiosity (sp) what is your first language?

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i thought complexion was an excellent choice of word for translation. makes a far prettier sentence than 'the skin on their face like that of a peach...'.

beautiful words and if it has lost something in the translation (which i can understand but doubt in this case) i wish i could speak spanish so that i might fully understand it.

hope you are faring well d

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Um... just a little warning that the language is a bit stronger that I'd thought in Spanish. Perhaps something you wouldn't want to share with... let's say your Spanish speaking highschool students for example.

I think the initial words are a bit less appropriate than the translation. Just a little warning.

[ 15. January 2003, 11:14: Message edited by: NYC ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL...you're right NYC, but it really is pretty.
And I agree, complextion, I felt, was the perfect term for it.

I studied Spansih literature in college and I am always astounded by their talents. They have such creativity and their verses are ripe with passion and imagery.
Thank you for sharing sweet Princess. As always you are an inspiration!
Hugs and love to you angel....
Your wife-to-be

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC I do not understand how inappropriate this is ?
because it talks about tits ? bad breath ? skin ?

I am confused

frost no worries I did not feel attacked at all, just genuinely asked for any possible help.

Sabbas, can you explain why this text is inappropriate ? what did I misinterpret ????

Shine on
cassandra

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Danae,

You know, I am getting tired of responding to your posts by saying how amazed I am by your warmth and depth of character.

If you were more ordinary and less exceptional, then I wouldn't be repeating myself so much!

Shine on, sweet spirit!

Raph

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I'm not offended.

The Spanish teacher at my school said that "no se me importa un pito" corresponds roughly to "It doesn't matter a f*ck" with pito being slang for penis.

Maybe it was a regional slang. I know that in Italian pretty much every other word where I was staying was slang for penis.

Maybe she's wrong. My bad.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrm.... well... I think it may be a dialect thing. The Spanish woman that I work with said it was a bit harsh and comparable to a curse BUT nobody else that I chatted with seems to know why she'd say that.

I certainly apologize for any confusion that my confusion has led to...

My bad. All comments retracted (but not deleted because that'd be dishonest, right )

Sorry! Happiness and sunshine!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
pito means whistle I think....
And I just checked and cogida (which means taken) is commonly used as fuck.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... so I'm 99% sure I'm wrong and 1% sure that "inappropriate" doesn't translate into spanish... It seems that everyone that I've talked to had a different take all involving the word "welllllll..." to start it off.

From my people, who are no better than anyone elses people, it was sort of like "Welll.... it's slang and it's not proper but it's not really inappropriate but I don't know and it's sort of hard to tell and it depends where you're from and yada yada yada..."

I'm a bit embarrased to have brought this up. Sorry again. It looks like I've fallen into my "killjoy-thread-killer" role again.

Sorry to have clouded such a sun shiney thread.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
just a comment on the slang, i am sure nyc there is some dialect where you are right... and although some have semi-similar slang, some have amazingly different slang (a girl we know from peru went to study in spain and quit the volleyball team because she thought the coach told her to do a nasty sexual thing....... case in point) anyway, i'm just trying to say it depends where you are from.

and cass, i like it

peace & love, kyri

edit: edits to posts and removal of some future posts is because they were off-topic and detracted from the nature of this thread.

I also apologize to everyone for hijacking the thread for awhile, and to drome for the misunderstandings.

Kyri

[ 20. January 2003, 08:55: Message edited by: Kyrian ]

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I can fly

Magnus... pay it forward

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Depends on dialect. Pito, punta, penis, f*&k.....language semantics. The important thing is that you get the point!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

4,224 posts

Posted:
In spain if you want to take a car you say 'coger un coche'... that same sentence means 'have intercourse with a pig' in central america...

I am amazed at the differences in each spanish speaking countries !!!!!

that being said ... let us go and fly...

Shine on
Cassandra

[ 17. January 2003, 08:10: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Perhaps Cassandra isn't the first person I've ever met that can fly. Perhaps there were many people before that could fly and I never noticed. But Cassandra is the first person that gave me the light in my heart to be able to believe that people could fly.

Miss Cassandra can certainly fly... and if you're lucky enough to catch her smile in just the right light on just the right day, you'll be able to fly too.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i had a friend that went to mexico, and he speaks fluid spanish. hes older about 36 or so. He was in a ;little cafe place and was eating some soup. he asked the waitress is he could et some bread , but he asked her in spanish. She got really mad and slapped him. A guy next to him informed him that he asked her to dip her...ahem...private part in his soup, thus why she got so mad..

hee hee

he went and apologized..

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
[edit]
posts edited on this thread due to being off-topic and spoiling the nature of this thread.

Kyrian respect for your genuine honesty and friendliness in dealing with our little quabble!

Cass: sorry for the extensive and quite rude hijack!

[/edit]

Spanish is exactly like english in that your upbringing, direct area (neighbourhood), your town/city/area of city, state, country etc... can all play a big factor in the slang you use the way you enunciate and to the general flava of your personal chatter.
Dont forget that race and social class also come into play with the snobs trying to be a bit more fancy here and there and the 'town folk' and country folk all having their way of talking.... These aspects of accents are diffrent in each country or large region as well...

como adoro mi lengua....

amor y abrazos para todos aqui
drome

[ 20. January 2003, 09:01: Message edited by: dromepixie ]

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Pardon the personal message but Super, bro, please check PM and let me know when i can call u

NYC... your words leave me speechless as they often do. Thank you my beautiful friend, I love you and I love the way you fly too

I will seize the opportunity to share some of Humberto Ak ABal 's gorgeous poetry... for the spanish speakers ... cause there is no way i am butchering those simple words...

He is a guatemalan writer actually a kitche (mayan) writer...

IDIOMA
Hablamos un idioma que no es tuyo ni mio
El beso no tiene lengua

MIEDO
Quisiera caminar sobre el miedo
y dejar una flor a cada paso

TIEMPO
Que el tiempo pase por mi
Yo no quiero pasar por el

OJOS VIEJOS
Las piedras tienen ojos tan viejos
que con solo contemplarlos
uno descubre la sabiduria

SHine on
Cassandra

[ 17. January 2003, 02:47: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Haha, welcome the brief return of CAPTAIN K and his amazing CAPE of FLIGHT!!

i can fly.............

HOW IS EVERYONE, BIG HUGZ TO HOME OF POI PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!

whats up with all the limitations?

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
heyall...
cass, the last poems are just great, i love the IDIOMA one...
just curious, how many ppl talk spanish here?
the "no se me importa un pito" part can be translated with "i don't give a damn", but yes, it's referring to the ... best friend but i really don't think it's inapropiate.
drome, you said it all, i think there's nothing else to add... the REAL gallego is difficult to understand, and even when gallegos speak spanish, their accent sometimes makes it very difficult i'd just like to say that castellano and south american latin languages are not TOTALLY different, i speak with most south american people without problems, but there are some which i'd like to mention (just some anecdotes...)
- many south americans feel that everybody is mad at them when they first come here, because people don't say "please" and "thank you" so much here. it's also curious that the tipical word used here "ya", usually meaning "i know" can be taken very offensively by colombians, as they just use it to say "shut up" in "ya callate", and just if they are really getting tired. i know a guy who always got furious until he got used to it
- funny things happen whenever spanish people go to south america with the word "coger". while in spain it means a harmless "take" or "grab", in south america it is used for... yes, sexual intercourse, but kinda rude. now imagine what everybody thought when a friends father told his wife in the bus in mexico to "grab him right there", or how a mexican friend felt when another (spanish) friend told him to start going to the cafeteria and "i'll grab you from behind", meaning he would catch up
- the lottery in south america, or at least in some regions is called "polla", which here in spain means penis, and not exactly in a scientific way... it is even funnier when people shout, with a great smile on their face "me ha tocado la polla", in SA meaning that they have won the lottery, but here it means that someone has touched your... you get the idea.
- here a "bollo" means "bun" and a "tortilla" is something to eat eather made with eggs and potatoes or in mexico a kind of bread, but in cuba a "bollo" and i think in mexico a "tortilla" can also be taken as the femenine private parts, which was kinda funny when a female friend of mine went to cuba and asked her cuban friends if they wanted to eat a bit of her "bollo"
i think that could also be why here in spain the lesbians are called "bolleras" or "tortilleras"...
- also somewhere in SA a papaya, apart from the tropical fruit is also used for the femenine private parts, so imagine what people thought when a spanish actor in an interview, not knowing what it COULD mean, said that he was there to eat all the papayas he could
aaaah, yes, little details that make life a bit funnier to live...

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Page: