Forums > Help! > UK university dissertations... presentation help!

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Hi

I'm really stressed so sorry if this is a bit incoherant

I'm looking for tips on the presentation of my 3 (!!!) dissertations. I've never done a cover sheet or contents page, I don't *think* I need any appendixes...

Sorry, I only have 2 weeks to go and have work to do on all 3 (nearing the end of one, finished one, haven't started one redface)

My whole final year of my degree is graded on these essays, I just want to get it right frown

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Best thing to do is find ones from years before you that got good marks... are there copies in anyone's library/office, or could you contact someone from the year before you who might still have theirs on the computer? There could also be some online...

sorry I can't give you any more specific help!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
good plan, I'll have a look in the library later smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
yeah, most uni's keep the last couple of years worth of dissertations in the library, or at least somewhere where you should be able to find them.

it's strange that you haven't been given some specification of what should go on the cover sheet - check your guidelines again, in case you have to write some kind of declaration and sign it, otherwise i'd say the best thing is to keep it simple, Name, course title, dissertation title. and the same with the contents page, which is intended just to direct the reader to different key chapters or sections.. you can also have a look in a textbook for this. As for appendixes, they are generally only necessary if you have some personal research to include, like the transcript of an interview or questionnaire results for example. Otherwise it's not needed.

3 dissertations though, sounds harsh, good luck! smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks smile

My dissertations are only 6000 words each though... I guess that's comparitively short and perhaps my uni doesn't require a contents page for something like that..? Hmm

Well, I didn't manage to make it to the library yesterday (happily because I managed to link together loads of readings I'd already done and write anout 1500 words!!) so I'll check it out today...

NOn, your idea of a simple cover sheet sounds like a good one, I'll be doind one if I can't find anything else specific to my courses out (I e-mailed the course secretaries of both and both replied saying they didn't know!! Grr).

My uni is obviously rubbish, and I've found out a bit late in the day to do much about it now ubblol

Thoreau

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
have you asked your tutor/supervisor?
definite first stop if you're having trouble, mine gave me a word template that explained the presentation, and did all the formatting for me

*produces sandwich- is happy*

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Not yet, actually... I haven't had any contact time since I've been thinking about this so it didn't occur to me...

Silly me biggrin Thanks for the tip smile

Thoreau

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
AS for going to ask supervisors/ tutors etc....

It is better to go with at least one suggestion/proposal of what you are going to do, that way they can see that you have thought about it. If you are writing dissertations then you should have some ideas of your own....

Tutors prefer to be asked if soemthing is ok, rather than "what do I do ?" it is then more advice rather than instructions...

From previous work I have done there is a standard cover for reports and is nothing more than the title, a report no. and my name.

it is also good to add a synopsis/abstract at the beginning of the report..

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Don't you have a university/ course handbook? These should have the specifications you're looking for... if not, the university website may smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I do, it doesn't tell me, and the uni website doesn't tell me either. Crazy, innit?

The course secretaries of both my courses agree, no published guidelines.

I don't get it.

Thoreau

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
um, weird.
Call a lecturer, or your dissertation supervisor, and ask for the formatting details smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm going to see my lecturers tomorrow smile Thanks for the tips!

Thoreau