Page:
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Is there anything on your lifetime to-do list that you really want to do before you die, that 100 dollars (approx. USD 75, GBP 45) would buy? If yes, are there any good excuses for not having done it already- $100 isn't a lot of money in the big picture.

Not stuff like "I want to buy $100 worth of green beans, break into my bosses house when he's on holiday and plant them in his carpet so that he'll have a luscious sprout rug when he returns.."

Somewhat down to earth, achievable stuff that you've always wanted to do, but just have been procrastinating for some reason- e.g. bungee, buy a leaf blower, have a roasted pig on a spit, go to that classy hotel in the city for high tea, plant a tree outside your window, build a birdhouse, have lunch on that riverboat you always see on the river etc..

I've always wanted to go see Madama Butterfly at the opera. $95. Haven't yet because it's come these parts yet (there is some kind of performing arts infrastructure here, so I'm crossing my fingers). Else one day I'll travel somewhere just to see it.

Haven't been to the opera before either. Have listened to a few arias here and there, but haven't ever been a diehard fan of the genre. Just thought if there was one opera to see, it should be a Puccini.

Non-Https Image Link

What's on your list? smile

Hana4BRONZE Member
burner
90 posts

Posted:
Interesting...

I think my "to do list" is full of things that would cost over $100 to achieve or that money can't buy.

Hmmm....will ponder this some more....

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
There is this beach near my place, you can kayak to it in about an hour. It happens to be called Chocolate Beach. A friend and I sometimes paddle out there for sunsets. It is lovely, but I must say I was quite disappointed to find the name a misnomer.

No chocolate on Chocolate Beach!!! What???!!!

So, if I had a spare $100, I would buy a few varieties of really really amazingly good chocolate, and a secure sealing antique box. I'd make it beautiful, yet waterproof, seal it with beeswax and a stamp.

Then bury it somewhere deep , on the Chocolate Beach , with an "x" to mark the spot.

Why haven't I done this yet? Oh, I will soon, dont you worry... Just always have a gazillion projects on the go, and the weather hasn't been nice enough to enjoy a lazy kayak trip. Soon though.

Hmmn. Is that desire a little too much like planting green beans at your neighbors? wink Sorry. Most of my dreams and life goals have little to do with small sums of money and more to do with large quantities of time!

Big hug and some chocolate to you Ry!
smiles
A

Oh! I just thought of a seriousgoal. I could spend it on a computer tutorial, and learn how to use mine properly! Maybe even how to watch videos in different formats!
Now thats an idea...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
But. If you were on a secluded beach, dug up chocolate (!) would you actually eat it very non-suspiciously? ubblol

mm money vs time.. interesting point.

Computer tutorial chuh.. I bet you still haven't tried to watch that vid! tongue Don't worry.. it's not that great anyway. Maybe there's just a message in it saying 'this vid was produced to help andrea develop her goal of watching vids in different formats..' ubblol

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ry i think u ment to call it

Lifetime To-do List < $100

the aligator is greedy so it always wants to eat the bigger number smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Ah. Indeed I did. Whoever said a PhD education wasn't useful.. ubblol Edited wink.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I want to take my GF out to the most posh and bloody expensive restaurant I know of for dinner. We'd wear formal dress and look absolutely stunning, and listen to the live music there. I haven't done it yet because I kinda need every single penny at the moment just to survive... damn student finances... frown

I will though, maybe for our anniversary or something. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
you both wear dresses??

one thing i want to do before i die....
a prostitute.... in the bum.... vacuum packed and painted green

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'd get a ticket and go down to manchester southampton or london to see some of my favourite hoppers. Oh and also visit my mum lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna go scuba diving (I would have already if I did'nt live in the mountains)

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Ok its a little out of budget but I think you'll allow me.

For 50 UK pounds buy half a car in the Plymouth to Banjul rally https://www.plymouth-dakar.co.uk

Anybody want to go half way and stump up the rest for 2007? I think a 4x4 Panda should do the job. Or maybe a Lada.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

that 100 dollars (approx. USD 75, GBP 45)

Bit limited with only 45 quid, well I think ive allready done it I orderd some flags and Michal Kahn's Poi Spinning book last night lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
ya, I'd eat the chocolate. Of course.

Probably fall asleep and wake up in fairieland, but oh well.

Oscar Wilde once said " I can resist anything , except temptation..." wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think you need to make it 100 of each currency, considering in my experience the exchange rates aren't equal, but the value of what it will buy in-country, is pretty close.

And I am going to think about this at work all day.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Maybe, learn to play my djembe? Have had 2 of them (only little ones) for years, but never got around to learning to play them...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I would buy a ticket to a Jeff Martin concert in Freemantel and go off like a frog in a sock. smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
For 100squid?
I really don't know...

I'd say the things that are going to make me happy that I want 'to do', are going to be priceless smile

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
For a £100 i thing i'd like to go up in a glider or take some flying lessons biggrin

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Monthlong pass for my wife and myself to the local Renaissance Fair. $100 would be exactly enough.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Nice one Wayne.. I think that would be $100 spent in a good place beerchug smile..

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
A hundred could pay for a sky dive! That would be great. I will do that this summer...

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
goodness me ry, you have some good ideas...

I don't know if there is anything i've always wanted to do...

mebbe buy a top-hat...

or yeah, get dressed up really formal with a whole bunch of friends and go out somewhere flashy... i never went to my school formal, so i've not done that whole girly go out and get hair and makeup done propperly and have a pretty dress and ride in a limmo frown i think i'd like to do that... but that one would end up a bit over your budget there i think...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
There's a spot on the Yuba River in the Sierra foothills in Northern California that is truly the most beautiful place I have ever been. A friend's mother lives up there and about a mile into the woods from her house (mostly cedar & ponderosa pine -- so huge trees) there's a swimming hole. I don't know how deep it is, exactly, but people dive off this cliff overlooking this spot on the river. Heights freak me out a little bit, and everytime I've been there, I've wanted to dive off the cliff but haven't felt brave enough to do it. So that's my thing.

On the other hand, the way gas prices are right now, it might cost me $100 in gas to get there!

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Hana4BRONZE Member
burner
90 posts

Posted:
I know!

I've given it much thought and I've come up with the cheapest thing that I've always wanted but has thus far eluded me. It's... a basil plant that doesn't die clap

Have any of you managed to keep a basil plant alive longer than a month or so?

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I think most of the things on my to do list aren't things that money can buy. those that it can, I tend to do.

Speaking of to do lists..
This year I had a funny new years resolution story...
It was the morning of the 1st jan, I got up and made tea, thinking to myself about a new years res' I decided that I really wanted to perform in the big top.. so I set about acheieving my goal.
At 7pm that night, I walked on stage in the big top, for the "Big Big Circus Show"

I guess I need a new challenge wink

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dexta

I know!

I've given it much thought and I've come up with the cheapest thing that I've always wanted but has thus far eluded me. It's... a basil plant that doesn't die clap

Have any of you managed to keep a basil plant alive longer than a month or so?

I did one year.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
ive always wanted to see van morrison, but i have never had any money everytime he has come round, and i wouldnt mind going to see page and plant, but i missed them at glastonbury one year =(

i will make a point of goin to see them soon (if they are still touring), seeing as my guitar idol died before i went to see him cos i didnt wanna spend £120 just for a download ticket, then another 100 on beer. i have regreted it ever since.

and i want a tophat.

Just call me Pop.

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
also 45 quid realy doesnt go that far in the UK, you should maybe make it 100

Just call me Pop.

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
Learn to ride a horse at full gallop, and at the same time conquering my fear of getting on a horse. No idea how much riding lessons are though not sure how far 45 quid would get me!

A proper freefall skydive is on the list too.

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

ArnwynSILVER Member
old hand
1,065 posts

Posted:
This is a good one Ry, I would love to holiday in Bora Bora - but that's more than 100, so I have to say bungee jumping in Bali, its in the middle of the rainforest over a river/lake thing - really beautiful! bounce

L&L
The Fairy God Mother
~*~

" i just now need some other unsuspecting suckers to say something... " ~Rouge Dragon

"that wink was a nice one not a im going to thrust at you wink" ~Brettstar

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
OOO hhh i like this thread im going to be thinking of the things under a $100 .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Page: