Forums > Introductions > New show for ABC Looking for AMAZING FIRE POI

Login/Join to Participate

Piratenewbie
1 post

Posted:
My name is Nicole, I am just starting out learning poi and LOVE it!

As fate would have it I am now working on a show and we need the best of the best in Fire Poi!

The show is called "Master of Champions", basically we find the mosted talented people in a certain catagory; for this example FIRE POI; and pit them against eachother to find out who is the best...or we may also(depending on the talent)just showcase it in between challenges.

This show is meant to make our contestants look amazing! We want to show you off the world!

This is not the kind of show where we try and make you look stupid, we want to showcase your TALENT! If this is something you would be interested in PLEASE contact me via email at thechn@hotmail.com

Thanks! Nicole Sandoval

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Fly me over to the US and I'll do it biggrin

"pit them against eachother to find out who is the best" Sorry.. how? shrug

One person can do something that another cant, and those others can do something that that one cannot. Its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other to me umm

welcome anyway smile

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Ye, that sort of thing gets a bit tough when the skills you're trying to judge have an "artistic" element. Several different poi practitioners may look very different... different skills, style etc. But that doesn't make one "better" than another.

Still... would be great to see fire twirling get a bit of airtime!!! biggrin

Oh... and welcome to HoP

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
mm.. bit tough to turn creative expression into competition.

welcome anyhow

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hi and welcome to HoP Nicole wave!

I doubt you'd be able to find "the best"- like everyone's already implied, it's creative expression, and not really about outdoing people. You could change your angle and make it the most enjoyable routine via audience consensus, but if you're thinking of pitting people against people with the purpose of findind out who is the best, I think you've got the wrong topic.

It's not like breakdance where you're constantly trying to show up your opponents, or weightlifting where you can, with the help of a few guidelines, determine who is 'the best'. As cliche as it sounds, a lot of people in this particular community think it's about the art and personal expression, and learning from each other. The type who do it for the competion element.. or to show up other people- sorry, but personally, I don't think they know anything.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
wavehello welcome to HoP hug

i'm not too sure how you could judge who is better at poi, i mean every one has thir own style, some even have their own tricks ubblol

but i would like to see it on telly.................... to spread the word of poi

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi Pirate

A few things

What country are you in?

Is this ABC in the USA or in Australia? USA I suspect cos our ABC has stuff all budget for new shows.

Are you interested in the world scene or your local one? Because you will find that many/ maybe most of the seriously excellent spinners are not American at all, but Japanese or Canadian, British, French, Austrian etc.

(Even some of the aussies aren't too bad wink)

And you may be wondering about the lack of enthusiasm for the idea so far on this thread.

Have a look at [Old link] or [Old link] that have recently discussed this issue of 'pitting against', competing, ranking, etc. Overall it is not an way of proceeding that many of us are comfortable with, or welcome in this scene. Particularly if it became a nationalistic exercise. This sort of competitive approach is sooooooo normal in mainstream media. But it is so so so so stale.

This doesn't mean don't do the show.. It will no doubt look great...cos poi spinning rocks! And UV can look better than fire anyway...

How about another sort of format... How about a show where someone who is really good in a particular style coaches or mentors someone, to put on the best show they can? No supreme champions or any such nonsense, but people enjoying learning... That would actually show what goes into spinning. and plenty of scope for the different styles to be shown off.
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1146228725)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Because you will find that most of the seriously excellent spinners are not American at all, but Japanese or Canadian, British, French, Austrian etc.

watch it buddy smile

I agree with rave, any exposure of poi to a wider audience is good

(apologies if that makes no sense, its 5am)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK. Many. That's what I wrote first off... changed it... I spose my main point still stands though.. if it;s just US spinners who are included, no way they are 'champion of superstars' or whatever. And it is very hard to bring any 'competition' across nations that doesn't pander to nationalism. As if we need any more of that in the world!

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fireNice

I agree with rave

Written by:

eek there's a first for everything ubblol

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
..... i've agreed with you before....possibly ubblol

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

7,193 posts

Posted:
possibly........but i don't think doing a search on "has fni agreed with me......... ever" would yield good results hehe

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ravehead, you have just the BEST avatar. I get entranced every time I see it... THAT"S what we need on the telly!

7,193 posts

Posted:
it always makes me smile when someone says they like my avater D:

i love itubblove my avatar not the attention..............honest wink