KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Nowhere is a European event inspired by Burning Man, a unique experience and completely different to anything you will have attended before. All the event organisers provide is a beautiful desolate landscape and it is the responsibility of the participants to create the event. There are no big name DJs, no paid performances, Nowhere is not an event where you go to be entertained, you go to create amazing experiences with like-minded folk. You can not buy or sell anything at Nowhere so you have to be completely self reliant, and there should be nothing left behind when you depart.

Conditions can be harsh, working in the searing sun can be difficult, yet Nowhere is an incredible experience, unifying the participants in the common goal of creating something wonderful. The actual event is from July 6–9, however, participants eager to arrive early to help with set-up or stay later for clear-up are welcome. If the thought of participating in this amazing event appeals to you then read more about what to expect at the website and you'll see exactly what inspires crazy fools to go Nowhere...

https://www.goingnowhere.org/HomePage

Advance tickets only: 60 Euros until 31/5/2006, 80 Euros until 30/6/2006

Seven Guiding Principles – a Nowhere manifesto for prospective participants

1. Inclusion
Nowhere welcomes participation and welcomes and respects new members. The only prerequisite that exists is that participants be over 18.

2. No Commerce
Bring it because you can't buy it, give it because you can. Nowhere has embraced the Burning Man principle of gifting, giving something unconditionally without expecting anything in return. At Nowhere, there is no sponsorship, advertising or commercial transactions.

3. Self-reliance
You are responsible for your own well being, discover your inner boy/girl scout! You are expected to be able to make your own way to site, provide your own food, water, shelter, sunscreen and whatever else you may require.

4. Self-expression
Nowhere offers the freedom to be creative in a spirit of acceptance. Participants are requested to respect the individual's rights to express themselves.

5. Leave No Trace
Create something from nothing, and leave nothing behind. Nowhere respects the environment and we ask all participants to keep it tidy during the event and clean up when you leave.

6. Participation
Get involved! This is not an event for spectators – find something to do. The success of Nowhere as an event relies on the participation of individuals working together and playing together.

7. Responsibility
Participants assume responsibility for their welfare and encourage other participants to behave responsibly. We ask that all participants consider whether their actions are safe for themselves and others. Participants are asked to respect the local community and environment.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Long time so see! hug

Will there be a plane from here to the EJC?
This'd be wicked Kat!!

Maybe I could just go for a few days....maybe.....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hmm so i go visit DeepSOulSheep on my way to EJC and find he's Nowhere to be found?!? hehe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Nah Gabe, I think I'm dreaming, as much as I'd love to go to this it can't be done! frown

But I see you instead biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Shame you won't be able to make it James, excited this year going to be fun! The big pikey bus is joining forces with Pirate camp...ARRRRR!!!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Me three

Would love to go... been on the mailing list for a while now and it sounds great...

maybe next year...

Love is the law.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
hey kat, may well see you there. I will have just finished my exams and be about to leave Madrid, this looks like it might be a good "adios españa" festival before I head back to England.

woot woot ubbrollsmile

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Woot woot indeed..that would be very cool. There will be a bunch of folks travelling from Madrid so you should be able to hook up with people to travel with.

Ado - hope you do make it soon. At the moment its more like the most mental, exhilerating and extreme camping trip you've ever been on rather than a festival! But it goes to say how bloody brilliant the experience is that having gone to first Glade I will happily miss Glade in order to head out to the middle of nowhere to get dusty, work to make the event happen, as well as party like a maniac for 4 days!

Yes, I'm excited :-)

- W B Yeats

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
kat I booked my ticket! ubbrollsmile biggrin

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Whoo-hoo!! Sending you a PM x

- W B Yeats

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Last day for 60 euro tix today!!

- W B Yeats

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Nowhere listed no 3 in 40 great things to do this summer! Glade is no 4

https://travel.guardian.co.uk/activities/story/0,,1799572,00.html

40 great things to do this summer

Wild festivals, cool beach cafes, spectacular al fresco shows - it's so much better to be out than in. Time to get the diary out and start planning your summer

Complied by Chris Madigan
Saturday June 17, 2006
The Guardian

Dance to
1 Nice Jazz Festival, France, July 19-26
Nominally a jazz festival (mmm, Nice), this is actually far more eclectic than its name suggests. Acts include current king of intelligent hip hop, Kanye West, ubiquitous soundtrack provider Randy Newman and such diverse artists as Erykah Badu, Suzanne Vega, Salif Keita and George Clinton. All performing in a Roman amphitheatre among the olive groves of Parc de Cimiez.
nicejazzfest.com

2 Latitude, Southwold, Suffolk, July 14-16
Taking place on what is apparently now referred to as "The Sunrise Coast", the band line-up here is distinctly The Word magazine - Tom Verlaine, Mercury Rev and Patti Smith, along with the younger Snow Patrol, Zutons and Antony and the Johnsons. But the big lure is the poetry, the comedy (Radio 4 rules with Marcus Brigstocke) and other random stuff.
latitudefestival.co.uk.

3 Nowhere Festival, Zaragoza, Spain July 6-9
This European version of Nevada's Burning Man festival follows the same "self-expression, self-reliance, leave no trace" philosophy. When the festival starts there is just desert (and toilets). There aren't any stalls, you clean up after yourself and the entertainment is created by the festivalgoers. So bring face paint, bongos and bin bags.goingnowhere.org

4 Glade Festival, Mystery Location July 14-16
It's back to the heady days of the early 90s, as organisers will not announce the venue for this electronic dance music festival until the last minute (it's probably somewhere in Berkshire). Still, nice touch. The DJ line-up is also secret, but Aphex Twin, Dreadzone and Squarepusher have played before.
gladefestival.com

5 Exit festival, Novi Sad, Serbia, 6-9 July
Born out of a protest movement against the Milosevic regime this festival has a fantastic setting - a hilltop fortress, where you move between the 19 stages by tunnels and ramparts. It is musically eclectic, but there's an emphasis on 80s rock and pop (Morrissey, Billy Idol, Pet Shop Boys, Franz Ferdinand - oh sorry, they only sound 80s); and a strong 90s rave representation - Dave Clarke, Derrick May and Layo & Bushwacka!.
exitfest.org

6 Secret Sundaze, Ibiza Dates TBA According to dance music bible Mixmag, the club of the year is Secret Sundaze - they keep it simple, with outdoor venues announced via email the day before, a soundsystem and top DJs. The crowd is hedonistic and dolled up with plenty of glitter. In Ibiza, flyers are handed out in the form of capsules (which some clubbers have mistakenly swallowed), revealing which beach location the secret fun will be had. To keep up with rumours, go to the Secret Sundaze group at dontstayin.com.

- W B Yeats