Page: ...
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Gooooooood morning HOP

Am back in the USA until the end of the month and therefore back online as well ... Missed you

As i travel I have a book in which the people I meet can write poems, stories or ... recepies ...

This is how I have learnt how to make proper ceviche, bake my own bread, make enchiladas in salsa verde etc ...

I figured we could all share receipies ?

SOL S BREAD (that is the name of the dfriend who gave me teh receipie)

1 CUP 1/4 OF LUKEWARM WATER
2 FULL SOUP SPOONS (ya know ... da big ones ... watcha call it again ?) of unrefined sugar OR honey OR sugar
2 FULL SOUP SPOONS (ditto) of dry grain yeast
3 cups of WHEAT (1 1/2 of white wheat and 1 1/2 or wholewheat)
1 full soup spoon of salt
6 full soup spoons of oil (3 of regular and 3 of olive oil)
sunflower seeds or olives or sundried tomatoes or anything you want the bread to taste like ...

Mix lukewarm water with sugar. then add yeast and cover to let raise for 5/6 minutes.

in teh meantime put wheat and salt in a large bowl as well as the oil (I would recommend seeing how the yeast part goes before adding the oil though cause yeast can be tricky !!)
Once yeast has raised (probably not the proper word ???) put everything togetehr and mix gently with wooden spoon for short time.

Cover and let rest for 15 minutes

Now is whenyou need musKles a bit ....
put the dough on a table where you have spread some white wheat first and start massage the dough (i know it is not teh right word I mean petrir in French or amasar in spanish ... anyone help ?) little by little yiou add some white wheat to it so it sticks less while you are "massaging" it in order to let air bubbles be trapped in it.
Massage for 10 minutes
Then add whatever seeds you wish and massage again for 5 minutes
Put back in large bowl and cover and let it raise for 45/60 minutes

it is now almost double of the volume...

cut in two pieces or three or ... give it teh shape you want and pre heat the oven (medium temperature) put bread on a plate for oven with a bit of wheat on it and let bake for 45/55 minutes

Bread is ready and then ... ENJOY

Shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Baked Rice Pudding
(vegetarian dessert, serves 8-10...can easily be made vegan)

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups water
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup raisins
1 pinch ground nutmeg

Destructions:
1) Place uncooked rice in a 3 quart saucepan, and add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. OR use a rice-cooker as directed.
2) Preheat oven to 325° F (165 degrees C).
3) In a large bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix well. Stir in rice and raisins. Pour into a 10x6x2 inch baking dish.
4) Bake uncovered for 30 minutes; stir pudding and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake additional 30 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and the center comes out clean.

Hints:

*Nutmeg is very potent!!! If you are unsure as to how much to use, a quarter of a teaspoon is plenty for this recipe.
*This recipe may easily be made vegan by replacing the eggs with a vegan egg replacer such as "EnerG" and using soymilk (but NOT ricemilk) instead of milk. The consistency is a bit different, but it still comes out well.

Variations:
*If you don't like nutmeg, use a teaspoon of cinnnamon
*Instead of using vanilla extract, try using almond
*For strawberry rice pudding (an experiment I tried that was orgasmically delicious), eliminate the raisins and nutmeg. Take 2-3 cups of chopped strawberries and place in a bowl with 1/2 C sugar. Allow to juice for 10-15 minutes and add to the mixture before you bake it the first time.
*This is a robust recipe (i.e. it's hard to make it turn out badly), so try using other fruits, especially those with strong flavors like pineapple, rasberries, pitted cherries (don't want people losing teeth, now!), blueberries, etc.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
This is one I invented the day before yesterday.

Oven roasted Break Sea Cod on a pumpkin & fig salad with stuffed mushrooms. Drizzled in creamy macadama nut sauce.

Go to the fish market and get U a fresh firm white fleshed fish, I used Break Sea Cod. Fillet the bugger and you'll proberly get around 4 serves. Or alternitly just buy fillets (though the latter usually limits your selection)

Pumkin & fig salad
Roast some pupmpkins
Dice some dried figs
When pumpkin is nearly roasted remove. (if making just the salad roast through)
Toss together with figs seasme seeds, pomegranet juice & bread-crumbs

Stuffed mushrooms
Scoop the gills out, retain in a bowl.
Add to the gills, shreaded sundried tomatoes, kervalla goats cheese, diced capers, bread-crumbs, grated gouda & season with sumak.
Stuff back into caps

Wrap fish around a single serve, moulded cylindrical pile of your salad return to a hot oven with your stuffed mushies, Now time for the sauce.

Creamy macadamia nut sauce
Grind yor macadamia nuts with a mortar and pestle till you get a fine meal
Melt some butter in a pan
Add your macadamia meal and whisk briskly
Add your cream and allow to thicken

Thats it when every-things cooked arrange on plate and drizzle sauce over it.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Beefless Burgers

4oz (100g) Cheese (i use Chedder)
4oz (100g) Porridge oats
2 eggs
1 small onion

Grate the cheese
Mix everything together
Add other ingrediants that you want. I often use bacon bits, marmite, herbs, leeks, etc...
Shape into medium (burger size) circles about 1/2 inch thick.
Grill for 3 minutes each side (or untill golden)

Then eat! Quick, simple and tasty burgers.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

4,224 posts

Posted:
BUMP BUMP BUMP

as you know I have been travelling around the HoP world and did get a few extra recepies from various HoPers which I will add to a HOP COOK BOOK I plan on writing

here is my idea :
gather them all on a word doc, and add a few infos on each HoPer who participates ;

1> are they nutella ? marmite or bi-spreadable
2> write a lil something like your favourite quote ? joke ? etc ... whatever you wish

once done with it I can also finds a way to post it somewhere and make it available to any one who wishes...

so would you guys please help me out ?
and maybe post here or PM me the details (your spreading preferences and quote and all ? )

thank you

much love and yummy food to you all

shine on
Cass

Xirtammember
37 posts

Posted:
ok...here's one for all you Discworld fans out there.

Wow-Wow Sauce.

butter, a lump about the size of an egg
1 tablespoon flour
300ml beef stock
1 teaspoon English mustard
1 dessertspoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon port
1 tablespoon mushroom concentrate*
salt and pepper
1 heaped tablespoon freeze-dried parsley
4 pickled walnuts chopped

Met the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and work in the beef stock. Stir continuously on a moderate heat until you have a smooth thick sauce. Add the mustard, the wine vinegar, the port and the mushroom concentrate, season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and the walnuts, warm through and serve.
Excellent on roast beef.

*Mushroom Concentrate.
6 large button mushrooms salt
Put the mushrooms in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 3 hours then mash them. cover the bowl and leave overnight. Next day drain the liquid into a saucepan (energetically straining the mushroom pulp through a sieve will extract more of the liquid). Boil, stirring all the while, until volume is reduced by about half. This should produce about a tablespoon of the concentrate for your sauce.

These recipes are from Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. It all belongs to Terry Pratchett and not to me. He's a genius and I'm a....a...a Canadian?

And Daddy! They took my boot!

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Quick and easy pasta sauce, When you need the sauce and you need it NOW! This is the sauce for you: (fg = pinch)

1 tomato, diced
fg ground black peper
fg dry crushed rosemary
fg garlic powder
1/4tsp chili powder
1/4tsp dry crushed oregano

optional
a few leaves of fresh brused cilantro
1/4 cup mushrooms
1/4 shreded cheese of choice

Cooking Option 1 (Nuke it):
- Mix all ingredients except rosemary and cilantro in a microwave safe bowl.
- Take a pinch of rosemary and rub it between your fingers letting the crushed rosemary fall into the bowl
- Take a stock of FRESH cilantro and pull the leaves off the stem. Discard the stem.
- Tear the leaves into small pieces and rub between your fingers brusing the leaves (you should start to really smell the the cilantro). Let fall into the bowl.
- Stir
- Place in Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes
- Stir, serve over cooked pasta

Cooking option 2 (Stove):
- Mix all ingredients except rosemary and cilantro in a microwave safe bowl.
- Take a pinch of rosemary and rub it between your fingers letting the crushed rosemary fall into the bowl
- Take a stock of FRESH cilantro and pull the leaves off the stem. Discard the stem.
- Tear the leaves into small pieces and rub between your fingers brusing the leaves (you should start to really smell the the cilantro). Let fall into the bowl.
- Stir
- Place in sauce pan over medium heat for ten minutes or until it just begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stir
- Serve over cooked pasta

It took me less time to make the microwave version of this sauce then it did to to type this post.

PS Cass check your PM's

[ 20. June 2003, 19:38: Message edited by: DJ Dimples [Frost] ]

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

4,224 posts

Posted:
LARP TOFU SALAD

This salad originates from the north of thailand and is originally made with chicken or pork (Larp Kai / larp Mu) but can totally be doner vegetarian

1 block of firm tofu
100 g of ear mushrooms (or any mushroom you like)
juice of 1 lime
3 spring onions
2 schallots
mint
coriander
fish sauce (can be replaced with soy sauce for vegetarian)

fry tofu (cut in a few square blocks) in sesame oil with a tea spoon of green curry or any chilli and if you wish a bit of fresh ginger. fry until golden brown but not dry
take off from fire and slice in tiny tiny cute minuscule dices

slice mushrooms, schallots in tinmy dices too

you can also add veggies like tomato or cucmber

put in big bowl and mix with lime juice and 2 TBLSpoon of soy / fish sauce

sprinkle withg chopped spring onions

and also with roasted penuts if you wish

Enjoy

shine on
Cass

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
this is a pie i love to make, my friends love it too well now, i'll try to translate it, not easy when you have never spoken about food if there's anything you don't get, tell me. cass, feel free to edit the definitions that i've written

APPLE PIE

100g butter
2dl flour
2dl sugar
2 eggs
2 apples

OPTIONAL:
cinnamon
almonds
lemon juice

preheat oven to aprox. 180ºC

mix the eggs with the sugar until foamy(you know, when you beat eggs a lot, and it looks like foam...).
melt the butter and coat the inside of a cooking form. coat the inside of the form with a thin layer of bread crumbs(?)(you know, dry bread that you put in a mixer so it becomes nearly powder).
mix the rest of the butter(not too warm, or the eggs will cook) with the eggs&sugar. add the flour. if you want to, mix in the cinnamon, too.
put mix into form, wash apples, cut every apple in about 6 or more pieces and put into the mix, center down.
if you want, put some lemon juice, sugar, almonds, more cinnamon, etc on top.
bake in oven for about 35-40 min.

ENJOY

tastes great when still a bit warm and served with vanilla ice... yummy

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
PORK SPARE RIB SOUP............hmmmm yummy!!

you will be needing:
500g pork spare ribs
1 tablespoon of oil
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 spring onions, chopped
900ml beef stock
1 tsp salt
2 tomatoes, diced 250g beansproats

~ cut the ribs into inch pieces
~ heat the oil in a pan, add the meat and fry for 5 mins until golden brown
~ add the garlic and onions and cook for a further 2mins
~ add the stock and bring to the boil
~ cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender
~ add the remaining ingrediants and cook for 1min before serving

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Thai Mushroom Salad

(the vege-ish version of thai beef salad)

I have never really used measurements for this, so you are going to have to excuse the sparse info.

Ingredients:

Mushrooms (any sort, peeled and coarsely chopped)
fish sauce
chilli
palm sugar (or brown sugar)
lemon or lime
fresh coriander (coarsely chopped)
mixed salad leaves

mix together some fish sauce, chilli, lime and palm sugar until you have a tangy but slightly sweet marinade. Make it as spicy as you like.

Pour marinade over chopped mushrooms, and stir through the fresh coriander until all ingredients are coated in marinade. Serve over the mixed salad leaves.

Tip: Combine mushrooms and marinade just before serving, otherwise the mushies go mushy.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Dark Pixiemember
47 posts

Posted:
Yummy Vegan Potato and Leek soup!

500g potatoes, peeled and sliced
4 leeks, well washed nd sliced into 2.5cm pieces
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint
250g shallots, chopped
2 dessertspoons finely chopped parsley

Boil potatoes and leeks for approximately 15 minutes in 4 cups of water.
When cool, transfer potatoes, leeks and cooking water plus dill and mint to a blender and puree until smooth.
Place back on a low heat, add shallots and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with parsley.

At a later date i'll post some Indian vegetarian recipes, too.

Roman candles that burn in the night, yeah you are a shining light

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
mmmm food.....

a fastastic little thing to whip up for a snack/entree/breakfast whenever is mushroom and fetta pancakes. its incredibly cheap, simple, and tastes delightful.

i give anyone full abusing rights (textual) for a week without retaliation if you dont like it!!

fry up some garlic, shallots (spring onions...or normal onions if you wish....i prefer shallots), and mushrooms until nearly cooked. then crumble in and mix the fetta cheese in. fetta is quite moist, and so upon mixing and simmering you get a thick chucky filling/sauce.
the quantaties depend on whats available. i [think i] use about a bunch of shallots, 1-2 handfuls of mushrooms, 200-300g of fetta - but its flexible.

just taste the mixture by itself and you understand why i love cooking this up.

ricotta work ok, but the sharp taste of fetta compliments the shallot, garlic and softer mushroom flavour excellently. you can add anything else that is handy...tomatoes work quite well.
an essesntial part of the recipe is to spontaneously raid the spice rack and add whatever you feel like....although a pinch of oregano and pepper goes nicely.

whip up some pancakes/crepes whatever, and roll the mixture inside and (most importantly) eat.

ive cooked this multiple times, often at drunken parties, and it always goes down well. Enjoy!!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
It's summer, which means experimenting with making at least once new ice cream flavor per week. My current favorite is...

Plum Ice Cream

_Ingredients_
1 C chopped plums
1/4 C sugar
2 eggs
1 C sugar
1 C milk
3/4 ts. vanilla extract
1 C half-and-half
black currant liqueur (cassis) to taste

_Directions_

Puree 1 C chopped plums with 1/4 C sugar. Strain liquid, but keep the puree in the fridge for later.

Whisk together in pot:
Strained liquid from plums
2 eggs
1 C sugar
1 C milk
3/4 ts. vanilla extract

Simmer while whisking until thickens slightly, pour into bowl, cool in fridge. Once cool, whisk in 1 C half-and-half. Put in ice cream maker. About 5 minutes before completion, add the actual plum puree and black currant liqueur (cassis) to taste (I use about 1 ts.).

E pluribus unum, baby.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
feijoa icecubes!

1. Scoop the flesh out of some feijoas and pulp it.
2. Put the pulp in an ice cube tray and place in the freezer.
3. When frozen, take them out of the ice tray and put them in a big bag in the freezer.
4. Repeat as often as the feijoas ripen

5. When making drinks, fill a container with water and drop in 4-5 feijoa cubes, they keep it nice and chilly, and there's this wonderful hint of feijoa too!

Yum!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Ricotta and Berry pancakes:

mix:

1 + 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
2 Tblspoons Sugar
Pinch salt

with:

1 cup milk
2 eggs
handfull of blueberries, chopped strawberries or other mixed berries. Qty as you like.

Leave sitting for 20 Mins.

then, heat a frypan and add a little bit of butter. Pour in about 1/3 of a cup of pancake batter and then spoon in one or two teaspoons of smooth ricotta to the centre of the pancake. Add a little batter to cover the ricotta.

When the bubbles in the pancake have come to the top, gently flip it and cook the other side (should only take about a minute max per side)

Serve with fresh cream, and more berries! YUM!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
CHEESE SPONGE CAKE with COFFEE ICING

Not mine, but I found it on www.Cheese.com

4 large eggs, separated
100g caster sugar
Sifted together:
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g finely grated cheddar cheese
COFFEE ICING
350g icing sugar, sifted
200g butter, at room temperature
Mixed
2 tbsp hot water
2 tsp instant coffee
Method Preheat the oven to 1750C Grease two 18cm round sandwich cake tins and line with greaseproof paper.
Place egg whites in a bowl and whisk until stiff. Beat in two tablespoons of the sugar.
Place the egg yolks, remaining sugar and one tablespoon of water in a bowl and beat for about two minutes until the mixture is pale and thickened and leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted out. Carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg white mixture, using a metal spoon. Fold in sifted flour mixture and grated cheese.
Divide the cake mixture evenly between the prepared tins, then smoothe the surfaces. Bake for about 20 minutes or until pale golden. When ready, cake will start to leave the edges of the tins.
Leave to cool in the tin for five minutes, then turn out to cool on a wire rack.
Sandwich the cake generously with coffee icing. Spread and cover the side and surface evenly with coffee icing. Pipe and decorate the edges with rosettes.

COFFEE ICING
Place the icing sugar, butter and coffee in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth.

Enjoy, (or throw up its your choice...)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
tis time to unleash the rules for a 'step-wich'

1) take approx a foot and a half of french stick bread,
2)slice in half, making sure to leave the crust connected on one side(so that you have halved the bread with out cutting it in two halfes)
3)open to get maxsurface are (very important later) apply butter
4)add a tringle of dariylea cheese and spread on
5)on onehalf add salad, i preffer rocket, but most are good, plus tomatos, and other assorted bits
6)on teh other add, ham,chicken, bacon, prawns,
7)add mayo
8)use theblunt sideof a knife to help fild all the step-wich closed....
9)get a plaite and enjoy!

hmmmmmmmmmmm step-wich!

Step (el-nombrie)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, these are recipes for coffee bowls suitable for parties. They involve fire, hence I think they would be appropriate to this board. They also involve alcohol. For the record, I would like to emphasize that firespinning and alcohol are a TERRIBLE mix and I would strongly discourage anyone from the combination (spin first, then drink, not vice-versa). Also, you are responsible for being up to speed with local laws involving legal drinking age and all that stuff.

Café Diablo
This festive bowl requires a darkened, but well-ventilated room or a warm evening outdoors for full effect.

Ingredients
1 small orange studded with 20 whole cloves
Peel of 1 orange, thinly sliced
Peel of 1 lemon, thinly sliced
2 8cm cinnamon sticks
10 small sugar cubes
175 ml brandy
1 liter strong coffee made from arabica beans (a fine coffee, rather than a commerical one).
4 Tbsp Cointreau

Instructions (Practice this in advance or you will regret it)

1) All this should be done on a flame-proof surface such as a large metal baking sheet with raised edges.

2) Combine orange peel, lemon peel, cinnamon sticks, and sugar cubes in a in a deep silver or stainless steel bowl.

3) Heat over hot water (but do not boil) 175 ml Brandy and pour into bowl.

4) Place the bowl on the baking sheet and bring it to the table with a heat-proof ladle, the studded orange, and the Cointreau.

5) Hold a lit long match near (but not under) the surface of the brandy until it ignites. Ladle it over the spices until the sugar melts.

6) Pour the coffee into the bowl.

7) add the four tablespoons of Cointreau to the ladle and set the studded orange in the ladle. Ignite the liqueur and lower the flaming ladle into the bowl, allowing the orange to float. Ladle the cofee into cups.

Cremat (Flaming Coffee)
This showpiece party drink is served outdoors on summer evenings on Spain's Costa Brava. Again, practice making this first before doing it for a gathering.

Ingredients
250 ml Spanish brandy, warmed (but not boiled) in hot water
350 ml dark rum, warmed (but not boiled) in hot water
3 Tbsp sugar
Peel of 1 lemon, thinly sliced
3 12 cm cinnamon sticks (or 4 8cm sticks)
1 liter hot strong coffee made from arabica beans

Directions

1) Add all ingredients except coffee to a flame-proof bowl set on a flame-proof surface such as a baking sheet with raised edges.

2) Carefully ignite the issue by holding a long match near the surface, but do not immerse the match.

3) Stir with a long, metal spoon while slowly adding the coffee. The mixture will eventually extinguish.

4) Ladle into cups.

On a different note, to add an interesting twist to plain, old, coffee, try adding a pinch of cardamom per cup to coffee grounds (1/2 tsp to 3 cups), mix into the grounds once added to the coffee filter, and brew as usual.

[ 18. August 2003, 07:21: Message edited by: Lightning, Survivor of Disasters ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

940 posts

Posted:
Cinnamon (or Chocolate/Butterscotch) Rolls

Dough Ingredients

1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs

Filling Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, softened
[cinnamon, sugar, cinnamon chips to taste]
[cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips (and butterscotch chips) to taste]

Frosting Ingredients
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk

Directions
In saucepan, heat 1 cup milk, water and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (butter doesn't need to be completely melted). Place all dough ingredients in mixer or prepare to knead by hand. Knead for 25 minutes to half an hour until you get a nice baker's window. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free area for about an hour.

After an hour, punch down, and divide into 2 parts. On a floured surface, roll each part into a large rectangle. Smear each rectangle with the softened butter. Sprinkle with your selected filling combination.

Roll the dough up into two logs starting at the long side. Cut each log into 12 slices. Place the rolls cut side down into two 9x13 inch greased baking pans. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 30 minutes).

Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Combine the confectioner's sugar, 3 tablespoons melted butter, vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk. Frosting should be thick. Spread over baked rolls.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
OK, as directed by Alice, here is the recipe that I used to make the fudge that I brought with me to Sunday's Clapham Common meet.

It comes out of an Audrey Ellis book of my housemate's, which has lots of chocolate recipes.

Fudgy Squares

makes (they claim 16, I claim more like )25

Ingredients

100g (4oz) margarine
100g (4oz) granulated sugar
200g (7oz) crushed Rich Tea biscuits
50g (2oz) crushed walnuts/pecans (I used a mixture of both)
50g (2oz) raisins
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g (4oz) chocolate dots/chips

Directions

Generously grease a 20cm (8in) square shallow cake tin.

Place the margarine in a pan and heat gently until melted. Add the sugar and heat, stirring, until it has dissolved. Remove from the heat and put in the biscuit crumbs, nuts, raisins, egg and vanilla essence. Mix well.

Press into the prepared tin and level the surface. Scatter the chocolate dots over the top and press them in firmly. Chill for 1 hour then cut into squares.

Easy. I am, of course, not going to mention other things that might be added.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
When looking through this in the past and now, i realise that everyone posts using different measurment scales.

Could someone post up a conversion table between cups, oz and grams? That would make it much easier for everyone to make all the lovely recipies on here

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

940 posts

Posted:
1 cup (U.S.) = 8 oz. = 236.6 milliliters

(Can't convert to grams, because that depends on the ingredient.)

E pluribus unum, baby.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i've been informed to post the recipe for vegan chocolate stuff which i bought to clapham today. It's dead simple, and the main ingrediant is chocolate, which is probably why it tastes good

Ingrediants:

200g Dark Chocolate
400g Digestive Biscuits (Graham Crackers)
100g Margerine
100g Golden Syrup

All 4 ingrediants are readily available as vegan (in the UK at least), but if you're making it for a vegan then check the packets carefully first, as most margerine/biscuits/chocolate off the shelf arn't (for instance cheap dark/plain chocolate generally contains milk to hide the bitterness of the cheap cocoa). If you buy good quality belgium dark chocolate then like good quality coffee it not only doesn't need milk, its also almost sacriligeous to add milk to it. Of course this can work out quite expensive if making on mass

Method:

1) place the biscuits in a freezer bag and mash with a rolling pin till they are quite fine, with the odd few bits the size of half a finger nail (for a bit of bite, if you smash them all to powder then it will have little texture).
2) Melt in a pan the marg, chocolate and syrup. Make sure it doesn't boil, but mix up it up into a nice liquid (which incidently makes a wicked chocolate sauce for icecream, pancakes etc)
3) Add half of the biscuits and mix until totally coated
4) Add half of the remainin biscuits and mix until totally coated
5) Carry on doing this until they are completely coated. If you add them all in one go you'll have real troubles doing this.
6) Put it in a square cake tin and refrigerate (you may want to add melted chocolate to the top, or dust icing sugar on if you feel it's not sweet enough already).
7) Take out, cut into 15 pieces (5x3) and eat.

You can add ingrediants as you see fit (ie currants, cherries), and of course use non vegan items if you don't require them. Personally i've tried adding more ingrediants but they arn't needed.

Right, I'm hungry

[ 30. September 2003, 14:15: Message edited by: flid ]

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
vegan thai green curry
(result of having to creat it because i couldnt find a green curry with out shrimp past when i cooked for moon pixie)

curry
2 green chillys
1 can of coconut milk(or cream)
fresh coriander, garlic, origarno,
cumin seeds
cardamon seeds
ginger

ppace in blender or for the old fashoned into a morter and pestl and grind down into a past then add coconut cream

mix
thai spice tofu (finly cut)
sprouts
buk choi
carrot
onion
capsicum

fry the onion and cap, when tranclusent add tofu and fry till lightly crips on out side. add curry mix and add rest of ingrediance sept buk choi (gose in last 2 mins of cooking)
place noodles on to cook and when done serve up in boles

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

Thornmember
52 posts

Posted:
My sister's yummy collops recipe:

4 turnips, diced
4 potatoes, diced
1 lb pork breakfast sausage
about 3 tbsp maple syrup

Cook the sausage off and set aside, reserving the grease.

Cook the potatoes and turnips in the sausage grease until tender, then drain.

Mix the sausage back in and bring up to heat.

Mix in the maple syrup and serve.

Done in cast iron over a wood fire, this is a fantastic camp breakfast. Goes great with scrambled eggs and plaid toast, too.

Thorn

4,224 posts

Posted:
YUM YUM YUM YUM keep it coming keep it coming YUMMMMMMMMMMY

thank you beautiful people, for all this inspiring yumminess...

shine on
cass

940 posts

Posted:
Cranberry Butterscotch Spice Cookies

3 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter or margarine

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

1 large egg

1/3 cup light molasses

Dried cranberries to taste (two big handfuls)

Nestle Butterscotch Morsels to taste (3/4 bag)

1. PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.

2. COMBINE flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in small bowl.

3. BEAT butter, sugar, egg and molasses in large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour mixture until well blended. Stir in butterscotch morsels and cranberries. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

4. BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

E pluribus unum, baby.

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
CHOCOLATE CAKE

Ingredients:
Cake:

6 1/2 oz self raising flour
pinch of baking powder
1 1/2 oz cocoa powder or drinking chocolate
6 oz margarine (hard is better)
1 oz castor sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons milk

Chocolate glace icing:
6 oz icing sugar
1oz cocoa powder
small knob of margarine
hot water to mix

Butter icing:
3 oz icing sugar
1 tablespoon drinking chocolate
1oz margarine
milk to mix

Preheat oven to gas mark 3, 335’ F, 168’C

Sieve the flour, cocoa powder (or drinking chocolate) and baking powder together
Prepare and line a 7” cake tin. Preferably with a removable base
Cream margarine and castor sugar together until light and fluffy
Beat in the remaining flour, baking powder and cocoa, then the milk
Put in the prepared cake tin, making a small dip in the top of the mixture
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 1¾ - 2 hrs
Test before removing from the oven by pressing a finger gently on the top. If the cake springs back, it is cooked. Or by inserting a skewer into the centre. The cake is cooked if the skewer comes out clean.
Allow the cake to stand a while before removing from the tin.

Butter icing:
Slice cake in half horizontally
Mix all the ingredients together until smooth, then spread over bottom half of cake.
Place top half of cake on top of bottom half

Glace icing:
Mix icing sugar and cocoa powder with enough hot water to be able to spread it on the top and side of the cake

wherever you go, there you are.

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
PORK STROGANOFF WITH THREE MUSTARDS

Serves two

Serve with plain boiled rice and a salad of tossed green leaves.

12 oz pork tenderloin
4 oz open cap mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 level teaspoon mustard powder
1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 heaped teaspoon wholegrain mustard
1* 200 ml tub crème fraiche
½ oz butter
1 dessertspoon groundnut oil
1 small onion finely chopped
3 fl oz dry white wine
salt and freshly milled black pepper

Trim the pork and cut into strips 3in.s long by ¼ in wide.
Mix together the three mustards with the crème fraiche.
In a solid frying pan, heat the butter and oil together over a medium heat.
Add the onion slices and fry them gently for about 2-3 mins. until they are soft. Remove them to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Turn up the heat to its highest setting. When it’s smoking hot, add the strips of pork and fry them quickly, keeping them on the move all the time so they cook evenly without burning.
Add the mushrooms and toss these around to cook briefly until their juices start to run.
Return the onion slices to the pan.
Season well with salt and pepper.
Add the wine and let it bubble and reduce slightly before adding the crème fraiche.
Now stir the whole lot together and let the sauce bubble and reduce to half its original volume.
Serve the stroganoff immediately spooned over plain basmati rice.

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
TARRAGON CHICKEN

Serves 6

3½ -4 lb chicken Sauce:
½ lemon 1oz butter
½ tspn salt 2 tblspn flour
1/8 tspn pepper ½ tspn dried tarragon
¼ tspn dried tarragon 2 egg yolks
3 carrots, sliced 5 tblspn single cream
1 onion, sliced or chopped salt
1 bay leaf pepper
2 parsley sprigs
¾ pint chicken stock
6 tblspn white wine

Put the chiclen in a pan with the giblets and the first group of ingredients.
Cover and simmer for about 1¼ hour or until tender.
Remove the bird from the pan, skin and joint it and, if liked, remove the bones. Keep the chicken hot.
Strain the cooking liquor into a measuring jug and make it up to ¾ pint with water if necessary.
Heat the butter in a pan, blend in the flour and cook for one minute.
Add the chicken liquor and bring to the boil, stirring.
Add the tarragon and simmer for 3 mins.
Blend together the egg yolks and cream.
Add 4 tblspn of sauce to the egg mixture then return it to the pan.
Check the seasoning, add the chicken pieces and heat through, without simmering , for 5 mins.
Serve with rice.

Page: ...