Forums > Technical Discussion > Animated Gifs and a modern phone = learning aid

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Hi guys

Now we all know the best way to learn is to go out with a group and inspire each other... but if you're the only person around who spins, it can be hard to learn more complicated moves without videos etc. And unless you've got a laptop, that's not going to happen.

A lot of cool people (MCP, HoP itself) do animated gifs which you can save. And, if you have a fairly modern phone, your phone can play this gif... so when you're out you can have a look at perfect examples of moves being done.

Just a little idea I had yesterday, helped me learn a few moves I haven't been able to learn for a long time... if you can convert videos into a phone format (?!) then you could put those up too... but if you're just trying to learn base movement patterns (note I don't say "moves" tongue ) then it's quite useful..

Sorry if this is obvious redface

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
I like this idea. I live on the Rock (i.e. Jersey) and as far as I know am the only spinner around frown
I've had to mostly teach myself. I'm currently trying to learn more complicated Poi moves from a book I have but it would be a lot easier if I had a video to look at. I don't have a laptop but I do have a fairly modern phone.
This could help me a lot. Thanks great idea thankx lolsign ubbidea weavesmiley ubbrollsmile biggrin

To play it safe is not to play

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
biggrin glad it might be of use smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Agreed Kevlar- I've been meaning to do this with my pda phone for w couple of years now (diabolo is probably the one that would help me the best as I don't dabble with staff).

Some more techy phones (like the one I'm having delivered tomorrow biggrin) will play lots of videos including divx and flash out of the box- I've had a version of Meeniks Dervishly Yers on my old phone for ages now, mainly just because I could smile

Good to push the idea wider though- this alongside video podcasting is a great way to share skills and vids. I wonder if anyone has done a podcast series of poi moves. that would be pretty darned cool smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah it would, or any toy for that matter.. would be well worth getting hold of!

Sorry I didn't even think about the possibilities of people having video iPods or whatever as well... he he I'm a bit behind, all these new-fangled electrical gizmos.. wink

Thoreau

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Considering the number of people with cam phone that record video now, we really should see more brief spinny trick related move vids on here- it'd help so many poiple being able to see whats being discussed (inversions, atomics etc etc).

Poiple tend to be perfectionists ad only release vids once everything is perfect... (ho hum who would do such a thing biggrin)

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
you can download a 3gp/mp4 converter for free and convert any vid you've downloaded to mp4. I've used to put some of my favourite vids on my phone
also check this out for vids on your phone
[Old link]

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the link, Star!

Thoreau

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Great idea, Jay... thx!!! biggrin

I was just saying the other day that I'm having to run between the computer screen in a corner of my bedroom downstairs to a patch of grass to twirl my broomstick... very frustrating.

Got a new video mp3 player coming this week, so I'll have to figure out how to get some twirling vids onto it... ubbrollsmile

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i love the portability of 3G movies but believe that the benefits of technological advances are diminised if they're not quite accessible. 3G phones and most PMPs have terrible quality screens at microscopic sizes. In an age where the price of 64cm CRT TVs are quite affordable, i find it hard to squint at very small (although very portable) screens.

firedancing should overwhelm the senses!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
at the same time, if you're just trying to learn a single move a small screen can be good enough, if the gif is close enough. If you just need to see arm, wrist and toy movement they're fine - but I agree, watching people's full on fire vids on a phone can be lame.

Thoreau

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Hehe- am posting this in bed on my new phone because l can biggrin

lts sort of on topic...