Forums > Videos > My DVD: The Scales of Poi! :P

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 clap clap clap clap clap clap
It's out! It's done! It's on homeofpoi.com!!!

Yes, I've gone and produced a DVD: The Scales of Poi! A distilation of everything I know about poi. It's loveable. It's funny. It's... well, I can only say so much, because I made it, so you need to order it (yes, YOU) so you can say how great it is, and people will listen to you.

My God, it was a lot of work. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Other people would be more sensible and make a DVD in a sensible way. Me? No. I have to have three camera angles. I have to put myself in a position to turn 24 hours of footage into a 90 minute DVD.

And now it's done! Did I say that already?

Are you excited? I am. Can you tell that I'm excited?

I don't know whether I'm itching to make another one, so I can do it the easy way, rather than the do-everything-the-hard-way way.

Oh, wait, I'm itching to get back to practice. Working on the computer is most definitely different than practicing. I'll just... Oh, shoot. That's right, I'm homeless and I owe the bank money. Should I have listened to my mother? Of course not! I'd be a terrible stripper.

Much love to all of you ubblove

nick biggrin

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I consider, if Spherculard DVD thread was moved

to video section, It should be done the same with

this one as well.

lighting,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Sure. How does one move threads?

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Mark HustedGOLD Member
177 posts

Posted:
Sounds like your running into the problem I faced about five years ago. You don't know me Nick but I hope to meet you one day. My name is Mark from smack dab middle of California, Fresno. Ever since I google searched for Poi vids and found Deverishly, your constant persuit at taking Poi to the next level has inspired me. I had a choice to go into the Marines, or go full time freestyle footbagger. Well, the world champ in the 2001 world competition only won 100 bucks so the Marines it was. (out now) There just isn't that much money in the alternative sports. It is so damn underground that all I have wanted to do is get these alternative sports exposure. It's too bad Bill Gates never got interested in Poi. What we need Nick, is some rich dude to put some money into the art/sport. That is how footbag got the exposure, that is what you have done for Poi. Except you say your not rich:-( As long as you hold onto your patience and know that people are keeping in touch with your site, me, among many others are your fans. I am always looking forward to seeing what you are going to come up with next. It's great how many conversations can spawn through common interests in activities. Such as how you mentioned in one of your readings how not all people get into poi because you can set them on fire. Let me tell you that it has amazed me with what it has done for my upper body physique. I have gained five pounds in just arm strength from doing poi since the first time I picked them up in March. It has motivated me to pick the footbag up and start freestyling again. Well, I could go on for hours and hours but I am sure you have some Poi to spin and spinners to admire. Take care and I hope to meet you.
Mark

Keep it Lit....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Getting to the other side smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sorry clare but i have to disagree.

i find it to be more a case of: biggrin hug biggrin

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Meenik

Sure. How does one move threads?

Nick, you click the little exclamation mark triangular sign at the bottom of any post and ask a Mod to do it for you. Easy smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Cole, you slacker you. That's not it, it is really supposed to be more like :

biggrin hug ubblove kiss ubblove hug biggrin

wink wink

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Stand_up_philosopherSILVER Member
15 posts

Posted:
I've only been doing this for about 4 months now and when I got my copy of this scales dvd I was really impressed by the good vibes & enthusiasum. Hell somepeople are rather protective of there techneques.
I remember when I was at the rainbow gathering this year (which is where I was first exposed to this wonderful art) There was this one spinner there that completely astounded me with this this move he did where it looked like the poi (there were 3 wicks on the chain) were literally passing through his arms. imagine the move threading the needle only instead of moving your hand down to avoid your forearm it was like it passed right through.(and no I was not on anysort of hallucinagen at least not at that point in time) anyways it amazed me and everyone else that watched as well. I find him the next day to ask him about this strange move, When I asked him about it he looked at me and laughed. ( I had asked him to show me again during the day ) he then proceeded to tell me that "a magician never reveals his secrets" or whatever... sorry for that winded story...

truly a gem of a DVD. Much respect bro, hope to see more.

"...Life is mysterious and inherently undefineable... "

Empress KylonGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I went to buy a copy but its sold out frown

Hopefully HOP will get more copies soon

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Yeah, we had some troubles with the shipper at the Canadian end. It's a pain because I'm getting my brother to deal with it all, and so there are too many people trying to communicate with too many other people. HOP is being very patient smile

...but they should get there soon I hope!!!

Meanwhile, I'm drafting the next DVD. I've got some great ideas to make this one even more fun. Hee hee hee. Oh, I hope it works. It will be like learning poi and watching The Matrix at the same time wink

wish me luck!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:

It will be like learning poi and watching The Matrix at the same time

eek

Good luck! biggrin

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:

It will be like learning poi and watching The Matrix at the same time wink

Full of special effects and with deep philosophy??? Haha J/K.
Best of luck with the next DVD!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice one Nick... but you still have another vid to upload!!

tongue

Hope you're well darlin

hug2

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Rumors. Vicious rumors. There is not, I repeat, not, a video of me stripping sitting on my hard drive. I would never, ever, take my clothes off and spin poi in a desperate attempt to busk online. This video doesn't exist and I certainly won't be releasing it on playpoi.com soon.

Seriously, the things you people believe...

n

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
How soon?!!

I just can't wait any longer!!!

Dammit!

Naked Nick! Naked Nick! Naked Nick! Naked Nick!

biggrin

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:

There is not, I repeat, not, a video of me stripping sitting on my hard drive.

I wouldn't do that - you might break it biggrin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i've got it on my drive, too wink

who wants it, and how much is it worth?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Hehehehe...

Nick... seize the moment smile

G'on, g'on, g'on....

bounce

xx

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Wow this could bring whole new meaning to things like anti spin...

But on topic: Got a suprise the other day when someone brought a portable dvd player to one of the local fire gatherings, what was he playing? Scales of poi of course!

Was good to watch it in such a large group situation and get to experiment (Well until the batteries died...)

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Empress KylonGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
Yay HOP has scales of poi back in stock and i now have a copy on the way to me - can't wait till it arrives

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's the thing: If I had such a slanderous item, which I do not (being the virtuous and self-respecting poi artist I am), then I would probably want to wait until I'd launched the new website before launching said video, as such a video could only possibly be part of a poiticipation campaign, and right now I don't have enough ways that people could actually poiticipate.

As I don't have any such video, it's a moot point.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Of course...

But hypothetically speaking... how long are we talking before the release of the hypothetically revamped website?

smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hypothetically, i could magic one, though. with my hypothetic nickstripping wizard....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ubblol

wouldn't it be hypothetically censored?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ok, first off, I definitely am not telling Bluecat to NOT release that particular video, and it has nothing to do with a certain Austrian fire spinner telling me I have to do a better job at hiding my "noodle."

I am, however, releasing some other videos soon, and if I did have this video you're all going on about, which I don't, I would hopefully release it in a few weeks.

I hope that clarifies things.

n

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hurrah!!

If, hypothetically, such a video existed... and if, hypothetically, I had seen such a video... I would say that your noodle was well hidden and not to worry smile

Anyways... lookin forward to it biggrin

Hope you're well... and email me soon about the other stuff...

xx

Page: ...